Affiliation: Klinikum rechts der Isar
- Cochlear implants: some likely next stepsBlake S Wilson
Center for Auditory Prosthesis Research, Research Triangle Institute, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Annu Rev Biomed Eng 5:207-49. 2003....
- Representation of acoustic signals in the human cochlea in presence of a cochlear implant electrodeJan Kiefer
Department of Otolaryngology, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technical University Munich, Ismaninger Strasse 22, D 81675 Munich, Germany
Hear Res 221:36-43. 2006..Intracochlear introduction of a cochlear implant electrode, however, may alter the biomechanical properties of the inner ear and thus affect perception of acoustic stimuli...
- Combined electric and acoustic stimulation of the auditory system: results of a clinical studyJan Kiefer
Klinik und Poliklinik für Hals Nasen Ohrenheilkunde des Klinikums r d Isar, Technische Universitat, Munchen, Deutschland
Audiol Neurootol 10:134-44. 2005..Synergistic effects of EAS were most prominent for hearing in noise with increases of up to 72% as compared to cochlear implant alone...
- Round window stimulation with an implantable hearing aid (Soundbridge) combined with autogenous reconstruction of the auricle - a new approachJan Kiefer
Department of Otolaryngology, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technical University Munich, Munich, Germany
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 68:378-85. 2006..This report describes a new approach, combining the reconstruction of the auricle with implantation of an active middle ear hearing aid, stimulating the round window membrane...
- Protecting the cochlea during stapes surgery: is there a role for corticosteroids?Jan Kiefer
Klinik für Hals Nasen Ohrenheilkunde, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische niversität München, Munich, Germany
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:300-7. 2007..These results suggest that topical application of triamcinolone has no ototoxic effect and that it leads to increased recovery of cochlear functions after trauma in the guinea pig inner ear...
- Ipsilateral electric acoustic stimulation of the auditory system: results of long-term hearing preservationWolfgang K Gstoettner
Department of Otolaryngology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Audiol Neurootol 11:49-56. 2006..To evaluate long-term ipsilateral hearing preservation in patients who underwent cochlear implantation for the combined electric acoustic stimulation of the auditory system...
- A safety evaluation of dexamethasone-releasing cochlear implants: comparative study on the risk of otogenic meningitis after implantationKatharina Niedermeier
Clinic for Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technical University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Acta Otolaryngol 132:1252-60. 2012..Dexamethasone released from a cochlear implant seems not to enhance the risk for postoperative infections...
- Unspecific parotitis can be the first indication of a developing Wegener's granulomatosisMarkus C Frantz
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technical University Munich, Ismaninger Strasse 22, 81675, Munich, Germany
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 265:131-4. 2008..Early testing for c-ANCA supplies valuable information and therefore should be prompted when additional symptoms occur. Once diagnosed as WG, appropriate therapy is able to prevent progression to severe clinical courses...
- Comparison of musical activities of cochlear implant users with different speech-coding strategiesSteffi Johanna Brockmeier
Clinic for Phoniatrics and Pedaudiology, Department of Otolaryngology, Technical University Munich, Germany
Ear Hear 28:49S-51S. 2007..Overall, the self-reported perception of music of CIS, SPEAK, and ACE users did not differ by very much...
- The large vestibular aqueduct--case report and review of the literatureSilke Steinbach
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Munich, Germany
Acta Otolaryngol 126:788-95. 2006..We successfully performed a cochlear implant (MED-EL, Combi 40+ flex). Proceeding from this case report, the paper reviews the literature on LVA...
- Application of a corticosteroid (Triamcinolon) protects inner ear function after surgical interventionQing Ye
Clinic for Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Sensory Physiology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Ear Hear 28:361-9. 2007..The dual aim of the present study was to evaluate the effectiveness of locally applied Triamcinolon* to protect the inner ear against surgically induced trauma and to exclude possible ototoxic effects...
- Testing the diagnostic value of electrical ear canal stimulation in cochlear implant candidates by functional magnetic resonance imagingKatrin Neumann
Clinic of Phoniatry and Pediatric Audiology, University of Frankfurt Main, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Audiol Neurootol 13:281-92. 2008..Instead, preoperative residual hearing (nonamplified and amplified) was a robust predictor for CI benefit...
- Application of carbon dioxide and erbium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet lasers in inner ear surgery: an experimental studyJan Kiefer
Clinic for Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Otol Neurotol 25:400-9. 2004..However, energy transfer by laser light has the potential to induce damage by heating, pressure waves, or direct irradiation, depending on the properties of the laser and parameters of application...
- Hearing preservation in cochlear implantation for electric acoustic stimulationWolfgang Gstoettner
ENT Department, Head and Neck Surgery, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Acta Otolaryngol 124:348-52. 2004..To evaluate the possibility of preservation of low-frequency hearing in atraumatic cochlear implant electrode insertion procedures for combined, ipsilateral electric and acoustic stimulation...
- Development and evaluation of an improved cochlear implant electrode design for electric acoustic stimulationOliver Adunka
ENT Department, J W Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Laryngoscope 114:1237-41. 2004..Special emphasis was placed on the practicality for combined electric and acoustic stimulation of the auditory system...
- Preservation of basal inner ear structures in cochlear implantationOliver Adunka
ENT Department, J W Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 66:306-12. 2004....
- Cochlear implantation via the round window membrane minimizes trauma to cochlear structures: a histologically controlled insertion studyOliver Adunka
ENT Department, J W Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Acta Otolaryngol 124:807-12. 2004..To evaluate cochlear implant trauma to intracochlear structures when inserting the electrode via the round window membrane...
- Outcomes in adults implanted with the FLEXsoft electrodeWolf Dieter Baumgartner
AKH Wien, Vienna, Austria
Acta Otolaryngol 127:579-86. 2007..This opens the door for future research in electrode design, hearing preservation research and drug delivery systems...
- Conservation of low-frequency hearing in cochlear implantationJan Kiefer
Clinic of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Acta Otolaryngol 124:272-80. 2004..In this prospective study, the possibility of preserving low-frequency hearing in cochlear implantation using a modified surgical technique has been explored...
- Combining perimodiolar electrode placement and atraumatic insertion properties in cochlear implantation -- fact or fantasy?Oliver F Adunka
Department of Otolaryngology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Acta Otolaryngol 126:475-82. 2006..Cochleostomy preparation and placement can have a significant impact on levels of basal cochlear trauma...
- Impact of electrode insertion depth on intracochlear traumaOliver Adunka
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7070, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 135:374-82. 2006..To assess the effect of cochlear implant (CI) insertion depth and surgical technique on intracochlear trauma...