- Cytotoxic T-cell response following mouse liver transplantation is independent of the initial site of T-cell primingI Klein
Department of Surgery, University of Wuerzburg School of Medicine, Wuerzburg, Germany
Transplant Proc 38:3241-3. 2006..We tested this hypothesis in an orthotopic mouse liver transplantation model...
- Kupffer cell heterogeneity: functional properties of bone marrow derived and sessile hepatic macrophagesIngo Klein
David H Smith Center for Vaccine Biology and Immunology, Aab Institute for Biomedical Research, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, NY, USA
Blood 110:4077-85. 2007..Our conclusions resolve a long-standing controversy and explain how different experimental approaches may reveal one or both of these subsets...
- A microsurgical approach to hepatic and extrahepatic antigen presentation and its effects on the migration pattern of activated CD8(+) T cellsIngo Klein
David H Smith Center for Vaccine Biology and Immunology Aab Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, NY, USA
Microsurgery 27:289-94. 2007..This illustrates that orthotopic liver transplantation is a powerful technique for addressing issues of antigen presentation...
- Early intrahepatic accumulation of CD8+ T cells provides a source of effectors for nonhepatic immune responsesNoelle K Polakos
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, David H Smith Center for Vaccine Biology and Immunology, Aab Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of Rochester Medical Center, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Immunol 179:201-10. 2007..Instead, it constitutes a substantial reservoir of usable Ag-specific effector CD8+ T cells involved in both acute and recall immune responses...
- Complete differentiation of CD8+ T cells activated locally within the transplanted liverIngo Klein
David H Smith Center for Vaccine Biology and Immunology, Aab Institute for Biomedical Research, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Exp Med 203:437-47. 2006..We conclude that local antigen presentation cannot explain liver tolerance. On the contrary, the liver may be an excellent priming site for naive CD8+ T cells...
- Analysis of cellular events in hepatic allografts: donor progenitors induce intragraft chimerismH J Gassel
Department of Surgery, University of Wuerzburg, Germany
Transpl Int 13:S465-70. 2000..The persistent coexistence of donor and recipient cells within the liver allograft (intrahepatic chimerism) appears to be characteristic and may be important for long-term acceptance...
- Presentation of an unusual benign liver tumor: primary hepatic glomangiomaH J Gassel
Dept of Surgery, University Hospital Wuerzburg, Germany
Scand J Gastroenterol 37:1237-40. 2002..Because there is a potential for malignant transformation, the existence of clinical symptoms and continuing growth are indications for resection...
- [Primary glomangioma of the liver. A new differential benign liver tumor diagnosis]H J Gassel
Chirurgische Universitätsklinik Würzburg, Josef Schneider Strasse 2, 97080 Wurzburg
Chirurg 73:279-82. 2002..As there is a possibility of malignant degeneration, we propose the decision for surgical removal once there are clinical symptoms and a growth tendency of the lesion...
- Surgical management of prosthetic vascular graft infection: comparative retrospective analysis of 30 consecutive casesH J Gassel
Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Wurzburg, Germany
Vasa 31:48-55. 2002..The options for surgical treatment are not uniformly accepted and remain controversial...
- [Epidural pneumatosis and spontaneous pneumomediastinum: differential diagnosis with respect to the Boerhaave syndrome]A Larena-Avellaneda
Chirurgische Klinik und Poliklinik I, Universitätsklinik Würzburg, Wurzburg
Zentralbl Chir 133:79-81. 2008..The air in the spinal canal arrives by migration through the intervertebral foramina from the posterior mediastinum and neck, where the fascial barrier is missing. Therapy consists of symptomatic, conservative treatment...
- Cellular and molecular mechanisms of liver toleranceIan N Crispe
The Liver Immunobiology Program, David H Smith Center for Vaccine Biology and Immunology, The University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Immunol Rev 213:101-18. 2006..The evidence favors clonal deletion mechanisms and is consistent with a role for regulatory T cells but does not support either anergy or immune deviation as important factors in liver tolerance...
- Immune role of hepatic TLR-4 revealed by orthotopic mouse liver transplantationBeena John
The David H Smith Center for Vaccine Biology and Immunology, The Aab Institute for Biomedical Research, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Hepatology 45:178-86. 2007..Using experimental orthotopic liver transplantation, we showed that the effect of Toll-like receptor-4 on the formation of the CD8+ T cell memory resides in the liver...