- Is withdrawal-induced anxiety in alcoholism based on beta-endorphin deficiency?Falk Kiefer
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20251 Hamburg, Germany
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 162:433-7. 2002..During alcohol withdrawal, a decreased secretion of beta E with a delayed normalization has been reported, but up to now only few data became available regarding the interaction of plasma beta E and psychopathological parameters...
- Comparing and combining naltrexone and acamprosate in relapse prevention of alcoholism: a double-blind, placebo-controlled studyFalk Kiefer
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital of Hamburg, Martinistr 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Arch Gen Psychiatry 60:92-9. 2003..Since it remains uncertain whether both substances are equally efficient and whether a combination of both drugs potentiates the efficacy, we conducted the first published controlled study comparing and combining both compounds...
- Characterization of the facial expression of emotions in schizophrenia patients: preliminary findings with a new electromyography methodKarsten Wolf
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Hospital of Hamburg, Germany
Can J Psychiatry 51:335-41. 2006..We investigated facial expression of emotions (FEE) in schizophrenia patients, using an improved and highly selective facial electromyography (EMG) method, and we examined the correlation between FEE and psychopathology...
- Metyrapone as additive treatment in major depression: a double-blind and placebo-controlled trialHolger Jahn
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Arch Gen Psychiatry 61:1235-44. 2004..Inhibitors of steroid synthesis have been reported to exert antidepressive effects, according to preliminary findings...
- The facial pattern of disgust, appetence, excited joy and relaxed joy: an improved facial EMG studyKarsten Wolf
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Germany
Scand J Psychol 46:403-9. 2005..Our findings indicate the possibility to explore the entire emotion system successfully through a state-of-the-art psychophysiological method like our EMG device...
- Mineralocorticoid receptor function in posttraumatic stress disorder after pretreatment with metyraponeChristian Otte
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, Hamburg, Germany
Biol Psychiatry 60:784-7. 2006..Alterations of mineralocorticoid receptor (MR) mediated negative feedback inhibition of cortisol might contribute to abnormalities of hypothalamic-pituitary adrenal (HPA) activity in posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)...
- Combined therapy: what does acamprosate and naltrexone combination tell us?Falk Kiefer
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital of Hamburg, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Alcohol Alcohol 39:542-7. 2004..It remains to be answered whether data justify the combination of both drugs in clinical practice...
- Involvement of NMDA receptors in alcohol-mediated behavior: mice with reduced affinity of the NMDA R1 glycine binding site display an attenuated sensitivity to ethanolFalk Kiefer
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Biol Psychiatry 53:345-51. 2003....
- Why is disulfiram superior to acamprosate in the routine clinical setting? A retrospective long-term study in 353 alcohol-dependent patientsAlexander Diehl
Department of Psychiatry, Klinikum Braunschweig, Braunschweig, Germany
Alcohol Alcohol 45:271-7. 2010..To compare the long-term effectiveness of acamprosate (ACP) and disulfiram (DSF) in the treatment of alcohol dependence and their effectiveness in regard to patient characteristics, within a naturalistic outpatient treatment setting...
- Adjunctive use of reboxetine in schizophreniaThomas J Raedler
University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Martini str 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Eur Psychiatry 19:366-9. 2004..We sought to study the efficacy and tolerability of the adjunctive use of reboxetine in a cohort of schizophrenic patients with prominent depressive or negative symptoms...
- Neurocognitive impairments in non-deprived smokers--results from a population-based multi-center study on smoking-related behaviorMichael Wagner
Department of Psychiatry, University of Bonn, Germany
Addict Biol 18:752-61. 2013..The independence of these deficits from consumption intensity may argue for an a priori deficit of some cognitive abilities in smokers. These specific deficits may constitute intermediate phenotypes for genetic research on nicotine use...
- The German multi-centre study on smoking-related behavior-description of a population-based case-control studyAnnette Lindenberg
Department of Psychiatry, Heinrich Heine University Dusseldorf, Germany
Addict Biol 16:638-53. 2011..Study design and major population characteristics with emphasis on risk prediction of smoking status were presented in this paper...
- The face of pain--a pilot study to validate the measurement of facial pain expression with an improved electromyogram methodKarsten Wolf
University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Germany
Pain Res Manag 10:15-9. 2005..The purpose of this pilot study was to establish the validity of an improved facial electromyogram (EMG) method for the measurement of facial pain expression...
- Suppression of the HPA axis stress-response: implications for relapseByron Adinoff
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75216, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 29:1351-5. 2005..b>Falk Kiefer discussed the relationship between basal HPA axis responsivity and clinical outcome following treatment with ..
- Alcohol self-administration, craving and HPA-axis activity: an intriguing relationshipFalk Kiefer
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 164:239-40. 2002
- Acamprosate: recent findings and future research directionsKarl Mann
The Department of Addictive Behavior and Addiction Medicine, Central Institute of Mental Health University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 32:1105-10. 2008..Further research should target the definition of subgroups applying endophenotypic approaches, e.g. by detecting a hyperglutamatergic syndrome using MR spectroscopy...
- Cloninger's typology and treatment outcome in alcohol-dependent subjects during pharmacotherapy with naltrexoneFalk Kiefer
Department of Addictive Behavior and Addiction Medicine, Central Institute of Mental Health, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Addict Biol 13:124-9. 2008..It is discussed whether especially these subjects should be targeted for pharmacological relapse prevention treatment with naltrexone...
- Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenocortical axis activity: a target of pharmacological anticraving treatment?Falk Kiefer
Department of Addictive Behavior and Addiction Medicine, Central Institute of Mental Health, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Biol Psychiatry 60:74-6. 2006..We examined the relationship between efficacy of pharmacological anticraving treatment and HPA axis activity in the relapse prevention treatment of alcoholism...
- Increasing leptin precedes craving and relapse during pharmacological abstinence maintenance treatment of alcoholismFalk Kiefer
Department of Addictive Behaviour and Addiction Medicine, Central Institute of Mental Health CIMH, University of Heidelberg, J5, 68159 Mannheim, Germany
J Psychiatr Res 39:545-51. 2005..Moreover, there are hints for an interaction between pharmacological anti-craving treatment, plasma concentration of leptin, and abstinence duration...
- Effects of treatment with acamprosate on beta-endorphin plasma concentration in humans with high alcohol preferenceFalk Kiefer
Department of Addictive Behavior and Addiction Medicine, Central Institute of Mental Health CIMH, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Neurosci Lett 404:103-6. 2006....
- Pharmacological relapse prevention of alcoholism: clinical predictors of outcomeFalk Kiefer
Department of Addictive Behaviour and Addiction Medicine, Central Institute of Mental Health CIMH, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Eur Addict Res 11:83-91. 2005..The efficacy of pharmacological relapse prevention in alcoholism with acamprosate and naltrexone has been supported by several controlled trials. It remains uncertain whether any differential indication for treatment exists...
- Measuring alcohol consumption in man--it is time for a changeFalk Kiefer
Addiction 101:1215-6; author reply 1216-7. 2006
- New achievements and pharmacotherapeutic approaches in the treatment of alcohol dependenceFalk Kiefer
University of Heidelberg, Department of Addictive Behavior and Addiction Medicine, Central Institute of Mental Health, CIMH, J5, D 68159 Mannheim, Germany
Eur J Pharmacol 526:163-71. 2005..New compounds are under investigation. This review discusses the neurobiological basis of alcohol addiction, pharmacological targets for relapse prevention treatment and pre-clinical and clinical results with the most promising drugs...
- Improvement of physical health and quality of life of alcohol-dependent individuals with topiramate treatment: US multisite randomized controlled trialBankole A Johnson
Department of Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Sciences, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908 0623, USA
Arch Intern Med 168:1188-99. 2008..We sought to determine whether topiramate's antidrinking effects are bolstered by improvements in physical and psychosocial well-being...
- Drugs for relapse prevention of alcoholism: ten years of progressRainer Spanagel
Department of Psychopharmacology and Department of Addictive Behaviour and Addiction Medicine at the Central Institute of Mental Health, Mannheim, Germany
Trends Pharmacol Sci 29:109-15. 2008..However, the heterogeneity in treatment response makes it necessary to characterize genetic and protein markers and endophenotypes for individualized pharmacotherapy...
- HPA-axis activity in alcoholism: examples for a gene-environment interactionToni Kim Clarke
Section of Addiction Biology, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College, London, UK
Addict Biol 13:1-14. 2008....
- Sleep endocrine effects of the 11-beta-hydroxysteroiddehydrogenase inhibitor metyraponeHolger Jahn
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Sleep 26:823-9. 2003....
- Extended-release intramuscular naltrexone: a viewpoint by Falk KieferFalk Kiefer
Department of Addictive Behaviour and Addiction Medicine, Central Institute of Mental Health, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Drugs 66:1752-3. 2006
- Pharmacotherapy and behavioral intervention for alcohol dependenceFalk Kiefer
JAMA 296:1727-8; author reply 1728-9. 2006