Affiliation: Johann Wolfgang Goethe University
- Long term outcome of high-risk neuroblastoma patients after immunotherapy with antibody ch14.18 or oral metronomic chemotherapyThorsten Simon
Children s Hospital, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
BMC Cancer 11:21. 2011..We applied metronomic chemotherapy in the prospective NB90 trial and monoclonal anti-GD2-antibody (MAB) ch14.18 in the NB97 trial. Here, we present the long term outcome data of the patient cohort...
- On demand treatment and home therapy of hereditary angioedema in Germany - the Frankfurt experienceEmel Aygören-Pürsün
Centre of Pediatrics III, Department of Hematology, Oncology and Hemostasis, Comprehensive Care Centre for Thrombosis and Hemostasis, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol 6:21. 2010..Manifestation of acute edema in hereditary angioedema (HAE) is characterized by interindividual and intraindividual variability in symptom expression over time. Flexible therapy options are needed...
- Results and factors influencing outcome after fully haploidentical hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in children with very high-risk acute lymphoblastic leukemia: impact of center size: an analysis on behalf of the Acute Leukemia and Pediatric DiseaThomas Klingebiel
Klinik fuer Kinder und Jugendmedizin III, Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitaet, Frankfurt, Germany
Blood 115:3437-46. 2010..Transplant centers initiating programs on haploHSCT for children may collaborate with more experienced centers...
- Delayed lymphocyte infusion in children given SCTT Klingebiel
Zentrum für Kinder und Jugendmedizin, Klinik III, Department for Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Bone Marrow Transplant 41:S23-6. 2008..Therefore, a monitoring of the hematopoietic chimerism and of the post-transplant MRD is recommended with a narrow (best: weekly) time schedule. Also, using low and increasing numbers of DLI, a GvHD can be avoided or even minimized...
- Treatment of children with metastatic soft tissue sarcoma with oral maintenance compared to high dose chemotherapy: report of the HD CWS-96 trialThomas Klingebiel
Children s Hospital of Frankfurt University Hospital, Frankfurt, Germany
Pediatr Blood Cancer 50:739-45. 2008..We prospectively studied the efficacy of high dose therapy (HDT) versus an oral maintenance treatment (OMT) in patients with stage IV soft tissue sarcoma (STS)...
- Place of HSCT in treatment of childhood AMLT Klingebiel
Klinik für Kinder und Jugendmedizin III, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Bone Marrow Transplant 42:S7-9. 2008..Data on haploidentical HSCT and on cord blood HSCT are still lacking in the case of AML. Combined studies of larger study groups are warranted to broaden the data basis for rational decision...
- Immunotherapy in children: report from the Reisensburg-Symposium October 20-22, 2004 and recent advancesT Klingebiel
Klinik für Kinderheilkunde der Universität Frankfurt
Klin Padiatr 218:355-65. 2006..The result was a fascinating symposium sponsored by The Kind Philipp Leukemia Foundation (Mönchengladbach, Germany). The symposium took place in the Reissensburg near Ulm (Germany) which gives the ideal location for such an event...
- Haploidentical transplantation for acute lymphoblastic leukemia in childhoodThomas Klingebiel
Klinik für Kinderheilkunde III, Zentrum für Kinderheilkunde und Jugendmedizin der Universität Frankfurt, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Blood Rev 18:181-92. 2004..This approach offers a promising treatment option for patients with acute lymphoblastic leukemia needing urgently transplantation but lacking a suitable donor...
- IL-2-driven regulation of NK cell receptors with regard to the distribution of CD16+ and CD16- subpopulations and in vivo influence after haploidentical NK cell infusionSabine Huenecke
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
J Immunother 33:200-10. 2010..Furthermore, the results suggest that the expansion period of purified NK cells has to be individualized to optimize NK cell immunotherapy...
- IL-2-activated haploidentical NK cells restore NKG2D-mediated NK-cell cytotoxicity in neuroblastoma patients by scavenging of plasma MICAStephan Kloess
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Laboratory for Stem Cell Transplantation and Immunotherapy, Hospital of Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Eur J Immunol 40:3255-67. 2010..In conclusion, our results identify this tumor immune escape mechanism as a target to improve immunotherapy of neuroblastoma and presumably other tumors...
- Enumeration of functionally active anti-Aspergillus T-cells in human peripheral bloodOlaf Beck
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Children s Hospital III, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
J Immunol Methods 335:41-5. 2008..The presented method might help to define hematopoietic transplant recipients who will benefit from adoptive transfer of anti-Aspergillus T cells...
- Generation and characterization of anti-Candida T cells as potential immunotherapy in patients with Candida infection after allogeneic hematopoietic stem-cell transplantLars Tramsen
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt, D 60590, Germany
J Infect Dis 196:485-92. 2007..Our data suggest that the generation of functionally active anti-Candida T cells is feasible and may be a promising treatment option for patients undergoing alloHSCT...
- Outcome of allogeneic stem cell transplantation in children with non-malignant diseasesAndre Willasch
University Children s Hospital, Frankfurt, Germany
Haematologica 91:788-94. 2006..However, it might be associated with an increased risk of graft rejection, which can be recognized by serial and quantitative characterization of chimerism. Thus, pre-emptive immunotherapy might be helpful to avoid graft rejection...
- Immunosuppressive compounds exhibit particular effects on functional properties of human anti-Aspergillus Th1 cellsLars Tramsen
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Children s Hospital, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Infect Immun 82:2649-56. 2014..Our findings may have an important impact on the design of clinical trials evaluating the therapeutic benefit of anti-Aspergillus TH1 cells in allogeneic HSCT recipients suffering from invasive aspergillosis. ..
- Immunotherapy against invasive fungal diseases in stem cell transplant recipientsThomas Lehrnbecher
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Children s Hospital III, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Theodor Stern Kai 7, Frankfurt, Germany
Immunol Invest 40:839-52. 2011....
- IL-2 stimulated but not unstimulated NK cells induce selective disappearance of peripheral blood cells: concomitant results to a phase I/II studyClaudia Brehm
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Laboratory for Stem Cell Transplantation and Immunotherapy, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e27351. 2011..In conclusion, we assume that the adoptive transfer of NK-DLI(IL-2 stim) under the influence of ex vivo and in vivo secreted cytokines/chemokines may promote NK cell trafficking and therefore might enhance efficacy of immunotherapy...
- Cytotoxic effects of treosulfan and busulfan against leukemic cells of pediatric patientsDoreen Munkelt
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, University Hospital, 60596, Frankfurt, Germany
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 62:821-30. 2008..Since in vitro data regarding the activity of treosulfan against childhood leukemic cells are limited, we compared the effect of treosulfan and busulfan against pediatric leukemic and non-malignant cells...
- A novel five-colour flow cytometric assay to determine NK cell cytotoxicity against neuroblastoma and other adherent tumour cellsStephan Kloss
Paediatric Haematology and Oncology of Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60596 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
J Immunol Methods 325:140-7. 2007....
- Rhizopus oryzae hyphae are damaged by human natural killer (NK) cells, but suppress NK cell mediated immunityStanislaw Schmidt
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Immunobiology 218:939-44. 2013..Our data indicate that NK cells exhibit activity against Mucormycetes and future research should evaluate NK cells as a potential tool for adoptive immunotherapy in HSCT...
- Sequence polymorphism systems for quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction to characterize hematopoietic chimerism-high informativity and sensitivity as well as excellent reproducibility and precision of measurementAndre Willasch
J W Goethe University Children s Hospital of Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
Lab Hematol 13:73-84. 2007..This is the first report on a SP-based chimerism system allowing for the performance of chimerism analyses for virtually all patients with high sensitivity, excellent reproducibility, and precision of measurement...
- The cytotoxic potential of interleukin-15-stimulated cytokine-induced killer cells against leukemia cellsEva Rettinger
University Children s Hospital of Frankfurt Main and Department of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Hemostaseology, Goethe University Frankfurt Main, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Cytotherapy 14:91-103. 2012..We investigated the feasibility of enhancing CIK cell-mediated cytotoxicity by interleukin (IL)-15 against acute myeloid and lymphoblastic leukemia/lymphoma cells...
- Preemptive immunotherapy in childhood acute myeloid leukemia for patients showing evidence of mixed chimerism after allogeneic stem cell transplantationEva Rettinger
Department of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Hemostaseology, Goethe University, University Children s Hospital, Theodor Stern Kai 7, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Blood 118:5681-8. 2011..These results suggest that MC is a prognostic factor for impending relapse in childhood AML, and that preemptive immunotherapy may improve the outcome in defined high-risk patients after transplantation...
- Immunotherapy in invasive fungal infection--focus on invasive aspergillosisThomas Lehrnbecher
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Children s Hospital III, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Curr Pharm Des 19:3689-712. 2013..These require international, multi-center collaboration, but may ultimately improve the outcome in immunocompromised patients suffering from invasive aspergillosis...
- Clinical-scale generation of multi-specific anti-fungal T cells targeting Candida, Aspergillus and mucormycetesLars Tramsen
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Cytotherapy 15:344-51. 2013....
- Advanced flowcytometric analysis of regulatory T cells: CD127 downregulation early post stem cell transplantation and altered Treg/CD3(+)CD4(+)-ratio in severe GvHD or relapseMelanie Bremm
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Theodor Stern Kai 7, Frankfurt, Germany
J Immunol Methods 373:36-44. 2011..Our results showed for the first time a downregulation of CD127 expression on T cells including Tregs in patients early post-SCT. Additionally, new insights into the recovery of Tregs regarding GvHD and relapse were provided...
- Rapid immune recovery and low TRM in haploidentical stem cell transplantation in children and adolescence using CD3/CD19-depleted stem cellsPeter Bader
Hospital for Children and Adolescents II III, University Hospital Frankfurt, Theodor Stern Kai 7, Frankfurt, Germany
Best Pract Res Clin Haematol 24:331-7. 2011..Therefore this haploidentical transplantation procedure can now serve as a basis for further cellular immunotherapy in the treatment of malignant and non-malignant diseases...
- Interleukin-2-stimulated natural killer cells are less susceptible to mycophenolate mofetil than non-activated NK cells: possible consequences for immunotherapyClaudia Brehm
Clinic for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, University Hospital Frankfurt, Goethe University, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Cancer Immunol Immunother 63:821-33. 2014..This finding supports the use of IL-2-activated NK cells as immunotherapy, especially for patients treated with MMF after haploidentical stem cell transplantation. ..
- Highlights of the third International Conference on Immunotherapy in Pediatric OncologyClaudia Brehm
Department for Stem Cell Transplantation and Immunology, J W Goethe University Hospital, University Hospital for Children and Adolescents, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 30:349-66. 2013..This and future meetings will support new collaborations and insights for further translational and clinical immunotherapy studies. ..
- Experiences with haploidentical stem cell transplantation in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemiaThomas Klingebiel
Klinik für Kinderheilkunde III Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Haemostaselogy, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Pathol Biol (Paris) 53:159-61. 2005
- Prognostic value of minimal residual disease quantification before allogeneic stem-cell transplantation in relapsed childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: the ALL-REZ BFM Study GroupPeter Bader
Children s Hospital of the JW Goethe University, Frankfurt, Main, Germany
J Clin Oncol 27:377-84. 2009..To verify this, the Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Relapse Berlin-Frankfurt-Münster (ALL-REZ BFM) Study Group conducted a prospective trial...
- Adoptive antifungal T cell immunotherapy--into the clinic?Thomas Lehrnbecher
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Children s Hospital III, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Theodor Stern Kai 7, Frankfurt, Germany
Med Mycol 49:S164-9. 2011..Ultimately, the strategy of adoptively transferring antifungal immune responses might improve the outcome in hematopoietic stem cell recipients suffering from invasive fungal infection...
- A novel four-colour flow cytometric assay to determine natural killer cell or T-cell-mediated cellular cytotoxicity against leukaemic cells in peripheral or bone marrow specimens containing greater than 20% of normal cellsStefanie Yvonne Zimmermann
Laboratory for Stem Cell Transplantation and Immunotherapy, Paediatric Haematology, Oncology and Haemostaseology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Theodor Stern Kai 7, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
J Immunol Methods 296:63-76. 2005..The assay is suitable for the analysis of complex samples with regard to different cell subsets, their decrease or increase, and conjugate formation...
- Rhinocerebral zygomycosis in a young girl undergoing allogeneic stem cell transplantation for severe aplastic anaemiaJan Sorensen
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, University of Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
Mycoses 49:31-6. 2006..No severe side effect of the antifungal drugs was noted. Unfortunately, the girl died 5 months after HSCT due to disseminated adenovirus infection...
- Association of ABO(H) and I blood group system development with von Willebrand factor and Factor VIII plasma levels in children and adolescentsDieter Klarmann
Department of Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Hemostasis, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt, Germany
Transfusion 50:1571-80. 2010....
- Age-matched lymphocyte subpopulation reference values in childhood and adolescence: application of exponential regression analysisSabine Huenecke
Paediatric Haematology, Oncology and Haemostaseology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Eur J Haematol 80:532-9. 2008..In addition, normal values for a number of lymphocyte subpopulations have not been established to date...
- CD271 antigen defines a subset of multipotent stromal cells with immunosuppressive and lymphohematopoietic engraftment-promoting propertiesSelim Kuci
Department of Hematology Oncology, University Children s Hospital III, 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Haematologica 95:651-9. 2010....
- More than mere games: a review of card and board games for medical educationKonrad Bochennek
University Hospital Frankfurt, Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, Germany
Med Teach 29:941-8. 2007..Additionally we have a view on card and board games with medical topics for entertainment (n = 22)...
- Characterization of acute hereditary angioedema attacks during pregnancy and breast-feeding and their treatment with C1 inhibitor concentrateInmaculada Martinez-Saguer
Department of Hematology, Center of Pediatrics III, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Am J Obstet Gynecol 203:131.e1-7. 2010....
- Inhibitor development in previously untreated patients with hemophilia A: a prospective long-term follow-up comparing plasma-derived and recombinant productsWolfhart Kreuz
The Centre of Pediatrics III, Department of Hematology and Oncology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt am Main and the Institute of Human Genetics J Oldenburg University, Wurzburg, Germany
Semin Thromb Hemost 28:285-90. 2002..The mutation type profile revealed no difference between the pd- and the recombinant-treated patients...
- C1-inhibitor concentrate for individual replacement therapy in patients with severe hereditary angioedema refractory to danazol prophylaxisWolfhart Kreuz
Department of Haematology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital, Centre of Paediatrics III, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Transfusion 49:1987-95. 2009....
- Changes in host defence induced by malignancies and antineoplastic treatment: implication for immunotherapeutic strategiesThomas Lehrnbecher
Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, University of Frankfurt, Germany
Lancet Oncol 9:269-78. 2008..Better insights into the impairment of host response could provide the rationale for the development of new therapeutic strategies, for both supportive care and anticancer treatment...
- Adult stem cells as an alternative source of multipotential (pluripotential) cells in regenerative medicineSelim Kuci
University Children s Hospital III, Department of Hematology Oncology, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Curr Stem Cell Res Ther 4:107-17. 2009..Herein we discuss the differentiation and reprogramming potential of both hematopoietic and non- hematopoietic stem cells along endodermal, mesodermal and neuroectodermal lineage and their importance for regenerative medicine...
- Primary intestinal aspergillosis after high-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem cell rescueThomas Lehrnbecher
Department of Pediatric Hematology, Johann Wolfgang University of Frankfurt, Germany
Pediatr Infect Dis J 25:465-6. 2006..No other site of invasive aspergillosis was evident. The patient was successfully treated with early surgery and combination antifungal therapy...
- Children with myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) and increasing mixed chimaerism after allogeneic stem cell transplantation have a poor outcome which can be improved by pre-emptive immunotherapyPeter Bader
Department of Hematology Oncology, University Children s Hospital, D 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Br J Haematol 128:649-58. 2005..We therefore conclude that pre-emptive immunotherapy is an effective treatment option to prevent impending relapse in children with MDS after allo-SCT...
- Efficient lysis of rhabdomyosarcoma cells by cytokine-induced killer cells: implications for adoptive immunotherapy after allogeneic stem cell transplantationSelim Kuci
University Children s Hospital III, University Children s Hospital III, Department of Hematology Oncology Department of Hematology Oncology, Theodor Stern Kai 7
Haematologica 95:1579-86. 2010..Here we assessed the capability of ex vivo expanded cytokine-induced killer cells to lyse both alveolar and embryonic rhabdomyosarcoma cell lines and investigated the mechanisms involved...
- Pediatric primary and metastatic neuroblastoma: MRI findings: pictorial reviewNour Eldin A Nour-Eldin
Institute for Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Johan Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Magn Reson Imaging 30:893-906. 2012..This pictorial review article aims to provide the reader with a concise, yet comprehensive, collection of MR images of primary and metastatic NBL lesions with relevant correlation with other imaging modalities...
- IL-2 activated NK cell immunotherapy of three children after haploidentical stem cell transplantationUlrike Koehl
University Hospital Frankfurt, Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, Frankfurt, Germany
Blood Cells Mol Dis 33:261-6. 2004..This initial trial showed the feasibility of good manufacturing practice (GMP)-compliant NK cell isolation and expansion for clinical applications. We now launch a clinical phase I trial with activated NK cells post-H-SCT...
- Combination therapy with caspofungin and liposomal amphotericin B for invasive aspergillosisZiju Elanjikal
Department of Pediatric Hematology, Children s Hospital III, Frankfurt, Germany
Pediatr Infect Dis J 22:653-6. 2003..Combination therapy could be a useful treatment option in children with invasive fungal disease, but before it can be routinely recommended, carefully controlled in vivo studies and well-designed randomized clinical trials are needed...
- Humoral immune responsiveness to a defined epitope on factor VIII before and after B cell ablation with rituximabChristoph Kessel
Molecular Hemostasis and Immunodeficiency, Department of Pediatrics III, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60596 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Mol Immunol 46:8-15. 2008..Mapping of specific epitopes on a defined antigen gives further information on mechanisms underlying B cell repopulation after rituximab therapy...
- Generation of highly purified and functionally active human TH1 cells against Aspergillus fumigatusOlaf Beck
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Blood 107:2562-9. 2006..Our data suggest that functionally active T cells against Aspergillus could be a promising treatment option for patients undergoing allogeneic SCT...
- Genomic DNA of leukemic patients: target for clinical diagnosis of MLL rearrangementsClaus Meyer
Institute of Pharmaceutical Biology, ZAFES, Diagnostic Center of Acute Leukemia, JWG University of Frankfurt, Biocenter, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Biotechnol J 1:656-63. 2006..MRD analyses control the efficiency and efficacy of current treatment protocols and have become a very sensitive molecular tool to monitor therapeutic success or failure in individual leukemia patients...
- Distinct contributions of CD4(+) and CD8(+) naive and memory T-cell subsets to overall T-cell-receptor repertoire complexity following transplantation of T-cell-depleted CD34-selected hematopoietic progenitor cells from unrelated donorsMatthias Eyrich
Pediatric Stem Cell Transplant Program, University of Tuebingen, Germany
Blood 100:1915-8. 2002....
- Chemotherapy versus allogeneic transplantation for very-high-risk childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in first complete remission: comparison by genetic randomisation in an international prospective studyAdriana Balduzzi
Clinica Pediatrica dell Università degli Studi di Milano Bicocca, Ospedale San Gerardo Via Pergolesi 33, 20052 Monza, Milan, Italy
Lancet 366:635-42. 2005..We compared this strategy with intensified chemotherapy protocols, with the aim to improve the outcome of children with very-high-risk acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in first complete remission...
- Chimaerism analyses and subsequent immunological intervention after stem cell transplantation in patients with juvenile myelomonocytic leukaemiaAyami Yoshimi
Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, University of Freiburg, Mathildenstrasse 1, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Br J Haematol 129:542-9. 2005..In conclusion, serial quantitative chimaerism studies can identify patients with i-MC who are at high risk for relapse of JMML. Immediate withdrawal of IST is advised in these patients...
- Impaired T-cell activation and cytokine productivity after transplantation of positively selected CD34+ allogeneic hematopoietic stem cellsMatthias Eyrich
Children s Hospital, Pediatric Stem Cell Transplant Program, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Hematol J 5:329-40. 2004..Further studies will focus on the elimination of host factors that may adversely affect T-cell function after transplantation...
- Increasing mixed chimerism is an important prognostic factor for unfavorable outcome in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia after allogeneic stem-cell transplantation: possible role for pre-emptive immunotherapy?Peter Bader
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, University Children s Hospital, and Department of Medical Biometry, University of Tubingen, Tuebingen, Germany
J Clin Oncol 22:1696-705. 2004....
- Allogeneic peripheral blood stem cell transplantation following fludarabine-based conditioning in six children with advanced Hodgkin's diseaseAlexander Claviez
Department of Pediatrics and Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, University of Kiel, Schwanenweg 20, 24105 Kiel, Germany
Ann Hematol 83:237-41. 2004..Allogeneic PBSCT, with reduced intensity conditioning, may be beneficial for selected patients with refractory HD...
- Population pharmacokinetics of high-dose etoposide in children receiving different conditioning regimensGudrun Würthwein
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, University Hospital Munster, 48129 Munster, Germany
Anticancer Drugs 13:101-10. 2002..3-11.9%) [median (range)], with high intra-individual variability. An increase in f(u) with increasing total Eto was observed. The question of a principally lower Eto CL in children, as compared to adults, after HD treatment remains open...
- CD34 stem cell dose and development of extensive chronic graft-versus-host diseaseRupert Handgretinger
Blood 99:3875-6; author reply 3876-7. 2002
- Unrelated donor stem cell transplantation compared with chemotherapy for children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in a second remission: a matched-pair analysisAnja Borgmann
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology and the Medical Center Charité, Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany
Blood 101:3835-9. 2003..In conclusion, UD-SCT provides better event-free survival for children with high-risk relapsed ALL. However, there is no clear advantage of UD-SCT in patients with intermediate prognosis...
- Megadose transplantation of highly purified haploidentical stem cells: current results and future prospectsRupert Handgretinger
Division of Stem Cell Transplantation, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, 332 N Lauderdale Street, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
Pediatr Transplant 7:51-5. 2003..We present the results obtained so far by CD34+ positive selection and discuss new techniques of graft engineering which might hopefully further improve the outcome of haploidentical stem cell transplantation...
- Transplantation of highly purified CD34+ progenitor cells from unrelated donors in pediatric leukemiaPeter Lang
Children s University Hospital, University of Tuebingen, Germany
Blood 101:1630-6. 2003..07). Transplantation of purified peripheral-blood CD34(+) cells from unrelated donors effectively minimizes GVHD and may be a good therapeutic option for patients with relapsed ALL...
- Myeloablative megatherapy with autologous stem-cell rescue versus oral maintenance chemotherapy as consolidation treatment in patients with high-risk neuroblastoma: a randomised controlled trialFrank Berthold
Children s Hospital and Centre for Molecular Medicine, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Lancet Oncol 6:649-58. 2005..We aimed to assess whether megatherapy with autologous stem-cell transplantation could increase event-free survival and overall survival compared with maintenance chemotherapy...
- Risk-adjusted outcome measurement in pediatric allogeneic stem cell transplantationSusanne Matthes-Martin
St Anna Children s Hospital, Vienna, Austria
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 14:335-43. 2008..Measuring TRM risk-adjusted and the comparison between expected and observed mortality may be an additional tool for outcome assessment in pediatric stem cell transplantation...
- Superiority of allogeneic hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation compared with chemotherapy alone in high-risk childhood T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia: results from ALL-BFM 90 and 95Andre Schrauder
Department of Pediatrics, University Medical Center Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Kiel, Germany
J Clin Oncol 24:5742-9. 2006..The role of hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation (SCT) in first complete remission (CR1) for children with very high-risk (VHR) acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) is still under critical discussion...
- Immunosuppressive therapy with anti-thymocyte globulin and cyclosporine A in selected children with hypoplastic refractory cytopeniaAyami Yoshimi
Division of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Department of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, University of Freiburg, Germany
Haematologica 92:397-400. 2007..Six patients subsequently received a transplant because of non-response, progression to advanced myelodysplastic syndrome or evolution of monosomy 7. Overall and failure-free survival rates at 3 years were 88% and 57%, respectively...
- Stem cell transplantation for polycythemia veraHarald Reinhard
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, University Hospital, Homburg Saar, Germany
Pediatr Blood Cancer 50:124-6. 2008..A single dose of donor T-lymphocytes was given at month 3. One year after transplantation, chimerism was complete. The patient is in complete remission and shows no signs of transplant-related morbidity at month 78...
- Eligibility for allogeneic transplantation in very high risk childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: the impact of the waiting timeAdriana Balduzzi
Clinica Pediatrica Università degli Studi di Milano Bicocca, Ospedale San Gerardo, Via Pergolesi 33, 20052 Monza, Milan, Italy
Haematologica 93:925-9. 2008..The relative advantage of transplant from compatible related donors in very-high-risk childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia was consistent for any time elapsed in first remission...
- Retransplantation with stem cells from mismatched related donors after graft rejection in pediatric patientsPeter Lang
Department of Pediatric Oncology, University Children s Hospital, Eberhard Karl s University, Tubingen, Hoppe Seyler Strasse 1, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Blood Cells Mol Dis 40:33-9. 2008..The use of different donors may contribute to avoid a second rejection...
- Infectious complications after allogeneic stem cell transplantation: epidemiology and interventional therapy strategies--guidelines of the Infectious Diseases Working Party (AGIHO) of the German Society of Hematology and Oncology (DGHO)Hermann Einsele
Dept of Hematology, Oncology, Medical Clinic II, University of Tubingen, Otfried Muller Strasse 10, 72076, Tubingen, Germany
Ann Hematol 82:S175-85. 2003..Infection-associated mortality, for example, is significantly higher following engraftment than during the short neutropenic period that immediately follows transplantation...
- Epidemiology of inhibitors and current treatment strategiesWolfhart Kreuz
Centre of Pediatrics III, Department of Hematology and Oncology, Comprehensive Care Center of Thrombosis and Hemostasis Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Haematologica 88:EREP04. 2003..These observations raise the question of whether VWF plays an important role in the induction of immune tolerance...
- Population pharmacokinetics of oral busulfan in childrenBrunhild Schiltmeyer
Pädiatrische Hämatologie Onkologie, Klinik und Poliklinik für Kinderheilkunde, Universitatsklinikum Munster, Albert Schweitzer Strasse 33, 48129 Munster, Germany
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 52:209-16. 2003....
- Topotecan and etoposide in the treatment of relapsed high-risk neuroblastoma: results of a phase 2 trialThorsten Simon
Department of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology, Children s Hospital, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 29:101-6. 2007..We conclude that the combination of TE is effective and tolerable in the treatment of relapsed high-risk neuroblastoma...
- Potent oncolytic activity of multimutated herpes simplex virus G207 in combination with vincristine against human rhabdomyosarcomaJindrich Cinatl
Institute of Medical Virology, Center of Hygiene, D 60596 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Cancer Res 63:1508-14. 2003..Taking into consideration the proven safety of G207 in humans, we suggest that G207 alone and in combination with vincristine should be additionally evaluated as a potential agent against human rhabdomyosarcoma...
- High-dose compared with intermediate-dose methotrexate in children with a first relapse of acute lymphoblastic leukemiaArend von Stackelberg
Department of Pediatric Oncology Hematology, University of Berlin Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Augustenburgerplatz 1, Berlin, Germany
Blood 111:2573-80. 2008..In conclusion, methotrexate infusions at 5 g/m(2) per 24 hours, compared with 1 g/m(2) per 36 hours, are not associated with increased disease control in relapsed childhood PBC acute lymphoblastic leukemia...
- Development of resistance to vincristine and doxorubicin in neuroblastoma alters malignant properties and induces additional karyotype changes: a preclinical modelRouslan Kotchetkov
Department of Hematology and Oncology, Center of Pediatrics, Clinic of J W Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Int J Cancer 104:36-43. 2003..The 2 novel neuroblastoma cell sublines also provide useful models for the study of drug resistance in aggressive forms of neuroblastoma...
- Haematopoietic stem cell transplantation in 12 patients with cerebral X-linked adrenoleukodystrophyMatthias Baumann
Department of Paediatrics and Neuropaediatrics, Georg August University Gottingen, Robert Koch Strasse 40, 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Eur J Pediatr 162:6-14. 2003..The presence of neurological symptoms before HSCT also affected prognosis. Six patients showed no deterioration in neurological or neuropsychological assessment after HSCT...
- Incidence and time trends of soft tissue sarcomas in German children 1985-2004 - a report from the population-based German Childhood Cancer RegistryThomas Weihkopf
German Childhood Cancer Registry GCCR, Institute for Medical Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Informatics IMBEI, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany
Eur J Cancer 44:432-40. 2008..18 for non-rhabdomyosarcoma-like (n=411) STS. AAPC is +0.4% (95%-confidence interval [-0.4;+1.2%]) for STS. In Germany, the increase in incidence rate is less evident than in other European countries...
- Mesenchymal chondrosarcoma of soft tissues and bone in children, adolescents, and young adults: experiences of the CWS and COSS study groupsTobias M Dantonello
Pediatrics 5 Oncology, Hematology, Immunology, Olgahospital, Klinikum Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Germany
Cancer 112:2424-31. 2008..As reports about MCS in young patients are scarce, treatment and outcomes of children/adolescents/young adults in the CWS and COSS studies were investigated...
- Circulating levels and promoter polymorphisms of interleukins-6 and 8 in pediatric cancer patients with fever and neutropeniaThomas Lehrnbecher
Departments of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, University of Frankfurt, Germany
Haematologica 89:234-6. 2004
- Prospective evaluation of hepatitis B, C and HIV infections as possible sequelae of antineoplastic treatment in paediatric sarcoma patients: a report from the Late Effects Surveillance SystemMarios Paulides
LESS Centre, University Hospital for Children and Adolescents, Department of Paediatric Oncology and Immunology, Erlangen, Germany
Oncol Rep 15:687-91. 2006....
- Initial patient characteristics can predict pattern and risk of relapse in localized rhabdomyosarcomaTobias M Dantonello
Olgahospital, Pediatrics 5 Oncology, Hematology, Immunology, Klinikum Stuttgart, Bismarckstrasse 8, D 70176 Stuttgart, Germany
J Clin Oncol 26:406-13. 2008....
- Toxicity and pharmacokinetics of i.v. busulfan in children before stem cell transplantationDoris Oechtering
Universitatsklinikum Munster, Klinik und Poliklinik für Kinderheilkunde, Pädiatrische Hämatologie Onkologie, Munster, Germany
Anticancer Drugs 16:337-44. 2005..v. versus CV of 37% after oral busulfan). The equivalent dose to 1 mg/kg oral busulfan with regard to the AUC appears to be higher than 0.8 mg/kg...
- Osteosarcoma relapse after combined modality therapy: an analysis of unselected patients in the Cooperative Osteosarcoma Study Group (COSS)Beate Kempf-Bielack
Cooperative Osteosarkomstudiengruppe COSS, Universitatsklinikum Munster, Klinik und Poliklinik für Kinder und Jugendmedizin, Pädiatrische Hämatologie und Onkologie, Albert Schweitzer Strasse 33, D 48149 Munster, Germany
J Clin Oncol 23:559-68. 2005..To evaluate the impact of patient, tumor, and treatment-related factors on outcome in unselected patients with recurrent osteosarcoma...
- Diagnostic tool for the identification of MLL rearrangements including unknown partner genesClaus Meyer
Institute of Pharmaceutical Biology Center for Drug Research, Development and Safety ZAFES, Biocenter, University of Frankfurt, D 60439 Frankfurt Main, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:449-54. 2005..Furthermore, the determined patient-specific fusion sequences are useful for minimal residual disease monitoring of MLL associated acute leukemias...
- Risk-adjusted therapy of acute lymphoblastic leukemia can decrease treatment burden and improve survival: treatment results of 2169 unselected pediatric and adolescent patients enrolled in the trial ALL-BFM 95Anja Möricke
Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Kiel, Germany
Blood 111:4477-89. 2008..2% (+/- 3.2%). Compared without previous trial ALL-BFM 90, consistently favorable results in non-HR patients were achieved with significant treatment reduction in the majority of these patients...
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for complete IFN-gamma receptor 1 deficiency: a multi-institutional surveyJoachim Roesler
Department of Pediatrics and the Department of Internal Medicine, University Clinic Carl Gustav Carus, Dresden, Germany
J Pediatr 145:806-12. 2004..To evaluate the outcome of hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) in a series of patients with inherited complete IFN-gamma receptor 1 (IFNgammaR1) deficiency...
- Long-term outcome after haploidentical stem cell transplantation in childrenPeter Lang
Children s University Hospital, University of Tuebingen, Germany
Blood Cells Mol Dis 33:281-7. 2004..In summary, the use of stem cells from haploidentical parental donors should be strongly considered in all children who need transplantation but lack an identical donor...
- Minimal residual disease prior to stem cell transplant for childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemiaNick Goulden
Royal Bristol Hospital for Sick Children, Bristol, UK, Universitatskinderklinik, Tubingen, Germany
Br J Haematol 122:24-9. 2003..It is now appropriate to call for the universal incorporation of standardized MRD testing into SCT protocols as the next step to maximize the clinical impact of this technology in ALL...
- The impact of the methotrexate administration schedule and dose in the treatment of children and adolescents with B-cell neoplasms: a report of the BFM Group Study NHL-BFM95Wilhelm Woessmann
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Justus Liebig University, D 35385 Giessen, Germany
Blood 105:948-58. 2005..In conclusion, MTX-4h was less toxic than MTX-24h. MTX-4h was noninferior to MTX-24h for limited stage B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma (B-NHL) but not for advanced disease. For limited disease, MTX 1 g/m(2) is noninferior to 5 g/m(2)...
- Graft-versus-Ewing sarcoma effect and long-term remission induced by haploidentical stem-cell transplantation in a patient with relapse of metastatic diseaseEwa Koscielniak
J Clin Oncol 23:242-4. 2005
- Cytotoxicity of dimethylacetamide and pharmacokinetics in children receiving intravenous busulfanGeorg Hempel
Klinik und Poliklinik für Kinder und Jugendmedizin, Pädiatrische Hämatologie Onkologie, Munster, Germany
J Clin Oncol 25:1772-8. 2007..To assess the cytotoxicity and the exposure of N,N-dimethylacetamide (DMA) in children during high-dose therapy with an intravenous (IV) formulation of busulfan containing the potentially hepatotoxic and neurotoxic DMA as a solvent...
- Busulfan induces activin A expression in vitro and in vivo: a possible link to venous occlusive diseaseDana Dressel
Department of Pharmacology, Peter Holtz Research Center of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany
Clin Pharmacol Ther 74:264-74. 2003..Endothelial injury has been described as the precipitating factor. The link between busulfan administration and endothelial damage has not been established thus far...