Affiliation: Humboldt University
- Acute childhood diarrhoea in northern Ghana: epidemiological, clinical and microbiological characteristicsKlaus Reither
Institute of Tropical Medicine and International Health, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany
BMC Infect Dis 7:104. 2007..Acute diarrhoea is a major cause of childhood morbidity and mortality in sub-Saharan Africa. Its microbiological causes and clinico-epidemiological aspects were examined during the dry season 2005/6 in Tamale, urban northern Ghana...
- Dual microsporidial infection with Encephalitozoon cuniculi and Enterocytozoon bieneusi in an HIV-positive patientT Weitzel
Dept of Medicine Infectious Diseases, Charite, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Infection 29:237-9. 2001..Furthermore, our report provides detailed clinical and radiological information on a rare case of a symptomatic pulmonary infection by E. cuniculi and its improvement after treatment with albendazole...
- Imported leishmaniasis in Germany 2001-2004: data of the SIMPID surveillance networkT Weitzel
Institut fur Tropenmedizin, Spandauer Damm 130, 14050, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:471-6. 2005..The findings presented here should serve to increase awareness as well as improve clinical management of leishmaniasis in Germany...
- Evaluation of seven commercial antigen detection tests for Giardia and Cryptosporidium in stool samplesT Weitzel
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Clin Microbiol Infect 12:656-9. 2006..Thus, these tests might be a useful addition to, but not a substitute for microscopical methods in the diagnosis of travel-associated giardiasis and cryptosporidiosis...
- Epidemiological and clinical features of travel-associated cryptosporidiosisT Weitzel
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Charite, University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Clin Microbiol Infect 12:921-4. 2006..Clinically, the disease resembled giardiasis, but fever and arthralgias seemed to occur more frequently...
- Evaluation of a new point-of-care test for influenza A and B virus in travellers with influenza-like symptomsT Weitzel
Institute of Tropical Medicine and International Health, Charite, University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Clin Microbiol Infect 13:665-9. 2007..However, negative test results might require confirmation by other methods because of limitations in sensitivity. Overall, influenza POC testing appeared to be a useful tool for the management of travellers with influenza-like symptoms...
- Field evaluation of a rota- and adenovirus immunochromatographic assay using stool samples from children with acute diarrhea in GhanaThomas Weitzel
Institute of Tropical Medicine and International Health, Charite, University Medicine Berlin, Spandauer Damm 130, D 14050 Berlin, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 45:2695-7. 2007..Compared to PCR results, sensitivities and specificities were 75% and 95% for rotavirus and 22% and 84% for adenovirus. In resource-poor settings, ICTs may help to overcome difficulties in the diagnosis of rotavirus infection...
- Giardiasis in kindergartens: prevalence study in Berlin, Germany, 2006D Sagebiel
Department for Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Robert Koch Institute, DGZ Ring 1, 13086, Berlin, Germany
Parasitol Res 105:681-7. 2009..Additional education and training on proper toilet and food hygiene may further reduce the possibility of child-to-child transmission...
- Acute fascioliasis--clinical and epidemiological features of four patients in ChileA Fica
Servicio de Infectologia, Hospital Militar, Santiago, Chile
Clin Microbiol Infect 18:91-6. 2012..Diagnosis should be confirmed by serological investigation. A history of recent consumption of raw watercress is an important finding, but in some patients the source of infection remains obscure...