Affiliation: Humboldt University
- Transplantation of selected or transgenic blood stem cells - a future treatment for HIV/AIDS?Gero Hütter
Medical Department III Hematology, Oncology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
J Int AIDS Soc 12:10. 2009..Furthermore, improvement of HIV-1 therapy that interferes with the entry mechanism seems to be a promising approach in HIV-1-infected patients with no matching CCR5-delta32 deleted donor...
- Aetiology of community-acquired, acute gastroenteritis in hospitalised adults: a prospective cohort studyAndreas Jansen
Department for Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Robert Koch Institute, Berlin, Germany
BMC Infect Dis 8:143. 2008..Our objective was to study the causes and characteristics of community-acquired, acute gastroenteritis in adult hospitalized patients to support the clinical management of these patients...
- Outbreak of leptospirosis among triathlon participants in Germany, 2006Stefan Brockmann
Department for Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Robert Koch Institute, Berlin, Germany
BMC Infect Dis 10:91. 2010..In order to study a possible outbreak and to determine risk factors for infection an epidemiological investigation was performed...
- [Intestinal tuberculosis: a clinical and diagnostic challenge]T Schneider
, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Medizinische Klinik (Gastroenterologie, Infektiologie und Rheumatologie
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 129:1747-52. 2004
- [Fever of unknown origin in the 21st century. 2. Non-infectious diseases (autoimmune diseases)]T Schneider
Medizinische Klinik 1 (Gastroenterologie, Infektiologie und Rheumatologie, , Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 130:2774-8. 2005
- [Norovirus gastroenteritis]T Schneider
Medizinische Klinik I, , Campus Benjamin Franklin
MMW Fortschr Med 150:38-40. 2008
- [Fever of unknown origin in gastroenterology]T Schneider
Medizinische Klinik I, Gastroenterologie Infektiologie Rheumatologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200 Berlin
Internist (Berl) 50:668-75. 2009..Nevertheless using these different approaches in most cases of fever of unknown origin the underlying cause can be identified which for many patients means not more or less than significant improvement or even survival...
- [Noroviruses: most frequent cause of infectious gastroenteritis]T Schneider
, Medizinische Klinik I (Gastroenterologie, Infektiologie und Rheumatologie, Berlin
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 132:2261-6. 2007
- [Fever of unknown origin in the 21st century: infectious diseases]T Schneider
Medizinische Klinik 1 Gastroenterologie, Infektiologie und Rheumatologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 130:2708-12. 2005..Therefore and because of economic reasons patients with FUO should be investigated in specialized centres with a department for rheumatology and infectious diseases...
- Impairment of the intestinal barrier is evident in untreated but absent in suppressively treated HIV-infected patientsH J Epple
Department of Gastroenterology, Infectious Diseases and Rheumatology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Gut 58:220-7. 2009..The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) on the HIV-induced intestinal barrier defect and to identify underlying mechanisms...
- Structural and functional changes of the duodenum in human norovirus infectionH Troeger
Department of Gastroenterology, Infectious Diseases and Rheumatology, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Berlin, Germany
Gut 58:1070-7. 2009..Norovirus infection is the most frequent cause of infectious diarrhoea in the western world. This study aimed to characterise functionally and histomorphologically the diseased duodenum in human biopsies...
- [The norovirus-epidemic in Berlin - clinic, epidemiology, and prevention]A Jansen
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, I Medizinische Klinik Gastroenterologie Infektiologie Rheumatologie, Berlin
Z Gastroenterol 42:311-6. 2004..In this study, the epidemiological and clinical features of the Berlin norovirus outbreak were investigated in order to identify the reasons for the spread of norovirus gastroenteritis and possible control measures...
- [Tropheryma whipplei infection. Colonization, self-limiting infection and Whipple's disease]V Moos
Medizinische Klinik I, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12203, Berlin, Deutschland
Pathologe 32:362-70. 2011..In the case of Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome (IRIS) or inflammatory lesions of the CNS in the setting of Whipple's disease, additional treatment with corticosteroids should be considered to avoid severe tissue damage...
- [Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome (IRIS) of the small bowel in an immunocompromised patient suffering from systemic lupus erythematosus and non-tuberculous mycobacteriosis]S Daum
Medizinische Klinik I, Gastroenterologie, Infektiologie und Rheumatologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, 12200 Berlin, Deutschland
Z Rheumatol 67:277-8, 280-3. 2008..Due to different treatment strategies, distinguishing IRIS from infectious diseases is essential. The role of Treg in IRIS has to be elucidated...
- [Neurotuberculosis: a continuing clinical challenge]B M Mackert
Klinik fur Neurologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Nervenarzt 79:153-66. 2008..Resistant new strains of the pathogen, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, complicate therapy. Recent discoveries especially in diagnosis and therapy are explained using case evidence...
- Imported leishmaniasis in Germany 2001-2004: data of the SIMPID surveillance networkT Weitzel
Institut fur Tropenmedizin, Spandauer Damm 130, 14050, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:471-6. 2005..The findings presented here should serve to increase awareness as well as improve clinical management of leishmaniasis in Germany...
- R-wave detection by subcutaneous ECG. Possible use for analyzing R-R variabilityP Fotuhi
Medical Clinic I, Charite Hospital, Schumannstr 20 21, 10089 Berlin, Germany
Ann Noninvasive Electrocardiol 6:18-23. 2001..We examined the feasibility of R-wave detection by a subcutaneous far field ECG (SFFECG) and analysis of these signals for R to R variability as an indicator of atrial arrhythmia (AA)...
- Mechanisms of epithelial translocation of the alpha(2)-gliadin-33mer in coeliac sprueM Schumann
Klinik fur Gastroenterologie, Charite, Campus Benjamin Franklin, 12200 Berlin, Germany
Gut 57:747-54. 2008..The alpha(2)-gliadin-33mer has been shown to be important in the pathogenesis of coeliac disease. We aimed to study mechanisms of its epithelial translocation and processing in respect to transcytotic and paracellular pathways...
- [27-year-old man with high fever and septic shock after returning from vacation]J Kunkel
Medizinische Klinik I, , Berlin
Internist (Berl) 47:S49-53. 2006..In this case report epidemiological, clinical, and therapeutic aspects of typhoid fever are discussed with special emphasis on criteria for severe typhoid fever, which is treated with additional glucocorticoids...
- [Illness and immune manifestations in Whipple disease. Differential rheumatic diseases diagnosis]T Schneider
Medizinische Klinik I (Gastroenterologie, Infektiologie und Rheumatologie,
Internist (Berl) 44:184-90. 2003
- Autochthonous hepatitis E virus infection in Germany with sequence similarities to other European isolatesJ C Preiss
Medizinische Klinik I (Gastroenterologie, Infektiologie, Rheumatologie, , Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200 Berlin, Germany
Infection 34:173-5. 2006..Here we report on a patient, who obviously acquired his HEV infection in Germany. Sequence analysis of the virus gained from his serum revealed homologies to other European isolates and swine isolates...
- Changing paradigms in Whipple's disease and infection with Tropheryma whippleiV Moos
Medical Department I, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12203 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 30:1151-8. 2011....
- Toxoplasmic encephalitis in AIDS-patients before and after the introduction of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART)T R Kiderlen
Institute for Microbiology and Hygiene, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Charite Medical School Berlin, Hindenburgdamm 27, 12203 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 30:1521-5. 2011..High rates of unawareness of HIV infection should make public health efforts focus on early identification of HIV infection and initiation of and compliance with HAART...
- [The morphologic variants of KSHV/HHV 8-associated lymphoproliferations]C Loddenkemper
Institut fur Pathologie, Konsultations und Referenzzentrum für Lymphknoten und Hämatopathologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin
Pathologe 28:46-9. 2007..To the best of our knowledge, liver infiltration by a MCD-associated HHV 8 positive plasmablastic lymphoma has not been documented previously. The differential diagnosis is discussed...
- [Norovirus infections in Germany]J Koch
Robert Koch Institut, Berlin
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 49:296-309. 2006..Analysis of surveillance data from this system permits a detailed overview of the nationwide epidemiology of this disease in Germany...
- [Audits across state borders for medical consulting agencies within the German healthcare insurance system]T Schneider
Medizinischer Dienst der Krankenversicherung Rheinland Pfalz, Stabsstelle Qualitätsmanagement und Projektkoordintion, Alzey
Gesundheitswesen 65:365-70. 2003..A common nationwide system of key figures and indicators aims at analysing results and learning from one another...
- Rabbit's revengeA Jansen
Benjamin Franklin Clinics, Medical Clinic I, Free University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Lancet Infect Dis 3:348. 2003
- [Electron microscopic investigation of CD4+ lymphocyte cell line C8166 after infection with simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV)]F J Kaup
, Abteilung Infektionspathologie
Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr 110:142-6. 2003..Therefore, this ultrastructural method is suitable to detect SIV antigen in in vivo experiments with C8166 cells from day 8 p.i. serving as positive control...
- [Initial medical treatment by paramedics in combined first aid operations of paramedics and emergency physicians]B M Wahlen
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie, Klinikum der Johannes Gutenberg Universität Mainz
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 38:27-31. 2003....
- Role of endothelin-1 in the development of a special type of cardiomyopathyA Zsáry
3rd Department of Internal Medicine, Semmelweis University, Kutvolgyi ut 4, H 1125 Budapest, Hungary
Clin Sci (Lond) 103:272S-275S. 2002..However, more studies are needed to evaluate the presence and severity of endothelial damage...
- Selective reduction of bone blood flow by short-term treatment with high-dose methylprednisolone. An experimental study in pigsW Drescher
University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
J Bone Joint Surg Br 83:274-7. 2001..No changes in flow were found in non-osseous tissue. Short-term treatment with high-dose methylprednisolone causes reduction of osseous blood flow which may be the pathogenetic factor in the early stage of steroid-induced osteonecrosis...
- Does penile size in younger men cause problems in condom use? a prospective measurement of penile dimensions in 111 young and 32 older menT Schneider
Department of Urology, University of Essen, Essen, Germany
Urology 57:314-8. 2001....
- Formation of a multilayer cellular lining on a polyurethane vascular graft following endothelial cell soddingS K Williams
Department of Surgery, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107
J Biomed Mater Res 26:103-17. 1992..During the 5 weeks of implantation this lining continued to proliferate and detached from the PEUU graft substratum. The final neocellular lining exhibited a luminal diameter and histological features similar to a native artery...
- [The prosthesis nail -- a new stable fixation device for periprosthetic fractures and critical fractures of the proximal femur]A Probst
Abteilung für Unfall und Handchirurgie, Hegau Klinikum GmbH, Singen
Unfallchirurg 106:722-31. 2003..Taking into account the unfavorable preoperative conditions associated with elderly and multimorbid patients, the rate of complications is relatively low...
- [The medication-induced dysfunction of the urinary bladder]T Schneider
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Urologie, Universitatsklinik, Essen
Urologe A 42:1588-93. 2003..If incontinence occurs in patients, treatment should be stopped if possible and additional pharmacological therapy should not be started before medication-induced bladder dysfunction is excluded...
- [HIV positive patient with pancytopenia and massive splenomegaly]H J Epple
Medizinische Klinik I, , FU Berlin
Internist (Berl) 44:1031-6. 2003....
- H19 expression in hepatic metastases from a range of human carcinomasY Fellig
Department of Pathology, Hadassah Medical Organization, Ein Kerem and Mount Scopus Branches, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Clin Pathol 58:1064-8. 2005..To investigate the expression of the imprinted oncofetal H19 gene in hepatic metastases derived from a range of human carcinomas and assess its prognostic value with the view of developing a DNA based treatment for such metastases...
- Wild boars as possible source of hemorrhagic leptospirosis in Berlin, GermanyA Jansen
Department of Infectious Diseases Epidemiology, Robert Koch Institute, Seestrasse 10, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 25:544-6. 2006
- [Eva-Reha: a computer software supporting outcome-based quality management in medical rehabilitation]M Noack
Medizinischer Dienst der Krankenversicherung (MDK) Rheinland-Pfalz
Gesundheitswesen 67:289-95. 2005..g. age structure, case mix, impairment on admission and medical as well as rehabilitative procedures. The system generates a request for extension in a set form which facilitates communication between rehabilitation centres and sponsors...
- [Polypharmacy, compliance and non-prescription medication in patients with cardiovascular disease in Germany]D Rottlaender
Medizinische Klinik III der Universität zu Köln
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 132:139-44. 2007..The objective of this study was to analyse polypharmacy, compliance and utilisation patterns for non-prescription medications (OTC) in patients with cardiovascular diseases...
- Decreased levels of interleukin-12p40 in the serum of patients with Whipple's diseaseA Kalt
Department of Dermatology, The University of the Saarland, 66421, Homburg Saar, Germany
Int J Colorectal Dis 21:114-20. 2006..It is unclear whether this defect of cellular immunity is translated to the humoral immune system and to serum correlates...
- Benign cardiac tumor in a patient with lung malignancyF Dodos
Clin Res Cardiol 96:628-31. 2007
- Designing an acupuncture study to meet evidence-based medical criteria: methodological considerations for logistic design and development of treatment interventions arising from the German randomized controlled acupuncture trial on chronic shoulder pain (Albrecht F Molsberger
Forschungsgruppe Akupunktur, Kasernenstr 1b, D 40213 Düsseldorf, Germany
Eur J Med Res 9:405-11. 2004..The latter represents a prerequisite for reproducibility, constituting a critical component of rigorous efficacy trials in scientific acupuncture research...
- [Video capsule endoscopy in a group of networked users: effective and cost saving]M J Farnbacher
Medizinische Klinik 2, Klinikum Fürth, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus der Friedrich Alexander Universität Erlangen Nürnberg
Z Gastroenterol 42:505-8. 2004..The present study describes the first experience in the mobile use of VCE in a cooperation of associated gastroenterology departments in different hospitals...
- Correlation of T cell response and bacterial clearance in human volunteers challenged with Helicobacter pylori revealed by randomised controlled vaccination with Ty21a-based Salmonella vaccinesT Aebischer
Department of Molecular Biology, Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology, Berlin, Germany
Gut 57:1065-72. 2008..Helicobacter pylori remains a global health hazard, and vaccination would be ideal for its control. Natural infection appears not to induce protective immunity. Thus, the feasibility of a vaccine for humans is doubtful...