Affiliation: Humboldt University
- CCAAT/enhancer-binding proteins alpha and beta negatively influence the capacity of tumor necrosis factor alpha to up-regulate the human cytomegalovirus IE1/2 enhancer/promoter by nuclear factor kappaB during monocyte differentiationS Prosch
Departments of Virology, Humboldt University, Medical School Charite, D 10098 Berlin, Germany
J Biol Chem 276:40712-20. 2001..Our results show that cell differentiation factors may interfere with TNFalpha-induced human cytomegalovirus gene (re)activation...
- Human adenovirus and human cytomegalovirus infections in preterm newborns: no association with bronchopulmonary dysplasiaSusanna Prösch
Department of Virology, Humboldt University, Medical School Charite, D 10098 Berlin, Germany
Pediatr Res 52:219-24. 2002..In summary, our findings indicate that HAdV and HCMV infection are frequent in preterm newborns with very low birth weight; however, a causal association with the development of BPD seems unlikely...
- Heightened expression of the cytotoxicity receptor NKG2D correlates with acute and chronic nephropathy after kidney transplantationM Seiler
Institute of Medical Immunology, Universitätsmedizin Charité, Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Am J Transplant 7:423-33. 2007..Significant elevated levels of NKG2D mRNA could be further detected in urine sediment prior to aRx, suggesting this receptor as a new candidate marker for the diagnosis of acute and chronic allograft rejection...
- A novel link between stress and human cytomegalovirus (HCMV) infection: sympathetic hyperactivity stimulates HCMV activationS Prosch
Department of Medical Virology, Humboldt University, Berlin, D 10098, Germany
Virology 272:357-65. 2000..Epinephrine also enhanced HCMV gene expression in infected THP-1 cells by about 50% in three of four experiments. These data suggest that HCMV, like HSV-1 and VZV, can be (re)activated under stress conditions...
- Proteasome inhibitors: a novel tool to suppress human cytomegalovirus replication and virus-induced immune modulationSusanna Prösch
Institutes of Virology, University Hospital Charite, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Antivir Ther 8:555-67. 2003..These data suggest that short-term therapy with proteasome inhibitors might be an alternative strategy to prevent (re)activation, replication and immune modulatory activity of HCMV in patients with systemic inflammation...
- Human cytomegalovirus reactivation in bone-marrow-derived granulocyte/monocyte progenitor cells and mature monocytesS Prosch
Department of Virology, School of Medicine Charite, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Intervirology 42:308-13. 1999....
- TCR repertoire analysis by next generation sequencing allows complex differential diagnosis of T cell-related pathologyM Dziubianau
Berlin Brandenburg Center for Regenerative Therapies, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Am J Transplant 13:2842-54. 2013..We believe that the established approach will provide insights into the regulation of virus-specific/anti-tumor immunity and has high diagnostic potential in the clinical routine. ..
- Analysis of CD8 T cell reactivity to cytomegalovirus using protein-spanning pools of overlapping pentadecapeptidesF Kern
Institut fur Medizinische Immunologie, Charite, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Immunol 30:1676-82. 2000..Similar pools may be applied to examine the role of proteins from other pathogens, in autoimmune disease or following vaccination...
- Treatment of PTLD with rituximab and CHOP reduces the risk of renal graft impairment after reduction of immunosuppressionR Trappe
Department of Hematology, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Am J Transplant 9:2331-7. 2009..The immunosuppressive effect of single agent rituximab may partially compensate the negative impact of IR on the graft function. Thus, it is possible to reduce immunosuppression when using chemotherapy to treat PTLD...
- Five-year outcomes in kidney transplant patients converted from cyclosporine to everolimus: the randomized ZEUS studyK Budde
Department of Nephrology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Am J Transplant 15:119-28. 2015..5 months posttransplant is associated with a significant improvement in renal function that is maintained to at least 5 years. The increase in early mild acute rejection did not affect long-term graft function...
- Cytomegalovirus-specific regulatory and effector T cells share TCR clonality--possible relation to repetitive CMV infectionsS Schwele
Institute of Medical Immunology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Berlin, Germany
Am J Transplant 12:669-81. 2012..These findings directly demonstrate that Teff and iTreg can differentiate from one "mother" clone with specificity to the same viral epitope and indicate that peripheral iTreg generation is related to frequent antigen appearance...
- Immune reconstitution and cytomegalovirus infection after allogeneic stem cell transplantation: the important impact of in vivo T cell depletionMartin Schmidt-Hieber
Medical Department III Hematology, Oncology and Transfusion Medicine, Charite Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200, Berlin, Germany
Int J Hematol 91:877-85. 2010..01). Our data indicate that the type of in vivo TCD (alemtuzumab or ATG) differentially influences both the CMV infection risk and CD4(+)/CD8(+) T cell reconstitution kinetics in patients after allo-SCT...
- Immunization of liver and renal transplant recipients: a seroepidemiological and sociodemographic surveyC Chesi
Institute of Tropical Medicine and International Health, Charite University Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Transpl Infect Dis 11:507-12. 2009..3%) and RTX-R (86.8%), and considerably lower for diphtheria, hepatitis A, and influenza. Immunization rates are too low in SOT recipients. Improvement will depend on a more active role of health care providers...
- Distribution of human CMV-specific memory T cells among the CD8pos. subsets defined by CD57, CD27, and CD45 isoformsF Kern
Institut für Medizinische Immunologie Charité Campus Mitte, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Immunol 29:2908-15. 1999..This subpopulation likely includes the fully differentiated memory cells responsible for the long-term immune defense against HCMV reactivation...
- Adoptive T-cell therapy of a lung transplanted patient with severe CMV disease and resistance to antiviral therapyG Brestrich
Department of Nephrology and Internal Intensive Care, Universitatsmedizin, Berlin, Germany
Am J Transplant 9:1679-84. 2009..Further studies have to elucidate the most potent strategies to generate antigen-specific T cells with high functional capacity and robust long-term persistence...
- Clindamycin-primaquine for pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia in renal transplant patientsP Nickel
Division of Nephrology and Intensive Care, Department of Internal Medicine, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Infection 42:981-9. 2014..Alternatives have not been formally studied. Clindamycin-primaquine (C-P) is effective in HIV-associated PCP, but data in renal transplant patients are lacking...
- BK virus-specific immunity kinetics: a predictor of recovery from polyomavirus BK-associated nephropathyT Schachtner
Department of Nephrology and Internal Intensive Care, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Campus Virchow Clinic, Berlin, Germany
Am J Transplant 11:2443-52. 2011..05). Our results suggest prognostic values of BKV-specific immune monitoring to identify those patients at risk of BKV-associated nephropathy and to aid in the management of therapeutic interventions...
- Development of Kaposi's sarcoma under sirolimus-based immunosuppression and successful treatment with imiquimodN Babel
Department of Nephrology and Internal Intensive Care, Campus Virchow Clinic, Charite University Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Transpl Infect Dis 10:59-62. 2008..The following is a description of KS development under immunosuppressive therapy with sirolimus, and the successful treatment of KS lesions utilizing the topical application of imiquimod 5% cream, an immune response modifier...
- Reticulocytes and their immature fraction do not detect acute rejection after kidney transplantationA Weimann
Central Institute of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiochemistry, Charite Hospital, Campus Virchow Clinic, Berlin, Germany
Transplant Proc 39:514-7. 2007..Therefore, a decrease of reticulocyte counts and of young reticulocytes might indicate the emergence of an acute rejection episode. This pilot study examined the value of reticulocyte parameters as indicators of acute rejection episodes...
- Acute esophageal necrosis (black esophagus) in the renal transplant recipient: manifestation of primary cytomegalovirus infectionR Trappe
Department of Hematology and Oncology, Charite University Hospital Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Berlin, Germany
Transpl Infect Dis 9:42-5. 2007....
- ATG versus basiliximab induction therapy in renal allograft recipients receiving a dual immunosuppressive regimen: one-year resultsS G Tullius
Department of General and Transplantation Surgery, Charite, Virchow Clinic, Berlin, Germany
Transplant Proc 35:2100-1. 2003
- NF-kappaB--a potential therapeutic target for inhibition of human cytomegalovirus (re)activation?Susanna Prösch
Institute of Virology, University Hospital Charite, Humboldt University, D 10098 Berlin, Germany
Biol Chem 383:1601-9. 2002....
- Prophylaxis of recurrent urinary tract infection after renal transplantation by cranberry juice and L-methionineN Pagonas
Department of Nephrology, Charite Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Transplant Proc 44:3017-21. 2012..Data on the efficacy of cranberry and L-methionine, however, are controversial in the general population; there are few data in renal transplant recipients...
- Conversion from cyclosporine to everolimus at 4.5 months posttransplant: 3-year results from the randomized ZEUS studyK Budde
Department of Nephrology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Am J Transplant 12:1528-40. 2012..There was a significantly higher rate of rejection in the everolimus arm but this did not exert a deleterious effect by 3 years posttransplant...
- Diagnosis and treatment of post-transplantation lymphoproliferative disorder in pediatric heart transplant patientsS Schubert
Department of Congenital Heart Defects Pediatric Cardiology, Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Pediatr Transplant 13:54-62. 2009....
- Early post-transplant urinary IP-10 expression after kidney transplantation is predictive of short- and long-term graft functionM Matz
Institute of Medical Immunology, Universitätsmedizin Charité Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Kidney Int 69:1683-90. 2006..These data reveal a correlation between elevated IP-10 expression in urine at early time points post-transplantation and intragraft immune activation that leads to acute rejection and compromised long-term graft function...
- Rat cytomegalovirus infection interferes with anti-CD4 mAb-(RIB 5/2) mediated tolerance and induces chronic allograft damageA Pascher
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow, Berlin, Germany, and Department of Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, MA, USA
Am J Transplant 6:2035-45. 2006..RCMV interferes with anti-CD4 mAb-induced tolerance and leads to chronic allograft damage. The data we presented suggest a potentially important role of viral infections and their prophylaxis in clinical TI protocols...
- Effect of anti-CD 20 antibody rituximab in patients with post-transplant lymphoproliferative disorder (PTLD)S H K Oertel
University Medicine of Berlin, Charite Campus Virchow Clinic, Department of Internal Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Am J Transplant 5:2901-6. 2005..Two patients relapsed, at intervals 3 and 5 months after obtaining complete remission. Rituximab proved to be well tolerated and effective in the treatment of PTLD...
- Measurement of anti-human cytomegalovirus T cell reactivity in transplant recipients and its potential clinical use: a mini-reviewF Kern
Institut fur Medizinische Immunologie, Charité Medizinische Fakultät der Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, Berlin, Deutschland
Intervirology 42:322-4. 1999..We also discuss a number of preconditions for integrating such testing into the clinical routine...
- Intragraft overexpression of interleukin-4 is neither sufficient nor essential for tolerance induction to cardiac allografts in a high-responder strain combinationT Ritter
Institute of Medical Immunology and Clinic of Nephrology and Internal Intensive Care, Charite, Humboldt University Berlin, Germany
Transplantation 68:1427-31. 1999..Whether IL-4 mediated immune deviation contributes to transplantation tolerance is not clear so far...
- HLA type-independent method to monitor polyoma BK virus-specific CD4 and CD8 T-cell immunityM H Hammer
Interdisciplinary Transplant Laboratory, Department of Nephrology and Institute of Medical Immunology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany
Am J Transplant 6:625-31. 2006..The method can be used to assess the impact of decreased immunosuppression on BKV immunity and to clarify the role of specific T cells in the pathogenesis of PVAN. We strongly recommend its implementation in future clinical studies...
- Target structures of the CD8(+)-T-cell response to human cytomegalovirus: the 72-kilodalton major immediate-early protein revisitedF Kern
Institut fur Medizinische Immunologie, Medizinische Fakultät der Humboldt Universität zu Berlin Charité, 10098 Berlin, Germany
J Virol 73:8179-84. 1999..In summary, our results suggest that IE-1 is far more important as a CD8(+)-T-cell target than current opinion suggests...
- Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS) is associated with an increased frequency of Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) latently infected B lymphocytes in long-term renal transplant patientsN Babel
Department of Nephrology and Internal Intensive Care, Clinic of Internal Medicine, Charite Campus Virchow, Humboldt University of Berlin, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
Transplant Proc 36:2679-82. 2004..These data suggest that transplant patients with MGUS demonstrate a more sufficient control of EBV-infected B-cells. Nevertheless, EBV monitoring should be performed in patients with EBV-associated MGUS for early detection of later PTLD...
- Immunomodulatory therapies: challenges of individualized therapy strategiesH D Volk
Institute for Medical Immunology, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Ernst Schering Found Symp Proc . 2006..Herein we report on new biomarkerguided studies in the immunosuppressive treatment of transplant patients and patients with autoimmune disease and we discuss its benefits and pitfalls...
- Accurate prediction of kidney allograft outcome based on creatinine course in the first 6 months posttransplantL Fritsche
Dept Nephrology, Charite, Berlin, Germany
Transplant Proc 37:731-3. 2005..These patients may benefit from therapeutic measures tailored for this high-risk setting...
- The role of CD4(+) T cells in BKV-specific T cell immunityB J D Weist
Department of Nephrology, Charite University Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Med Microbiol Immunol 203:395-408. 2014..This method offers a novel approach for the generation of BKV-specific T cell lines for adoptive immunotherapy and underscores the critical role of CD4(+) T cells in the clearance of BKV. ..
- Reduction of gastrointestinal complications in renal graft recipients after conversion from mycophenolate mofetil to enteric-coated mycophenolate sodiumP Reinke
Department of Nephrology, University Hospital Charite, Berlin, Germany
Transplant Proc 43:1641-6. 2011..In conclusion, conversion from MMF to EC-MPS reduces GI complications in renal graft recipients, reduces the patients' physical discomfort, and maintains their quality of life. (ClinicalTrials.gov number NCT00149968.)...
- Human cytomegalovirus reactivation during lactation and mother-to-child transmission in preterm infantsJohannes Meier
Humboldt University, Medical School Charite, Institute of Virology, Schumannstrasse 20 21, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 43:1318-24. 2005..In summary, our study confirmed a very high incidence of HCMV reactivation in mothers during lactation and a significant risk of transmission to preterm infants with the possibility of severe disease in these babies...
- Current characteristics and outcome of cytomegalovirus infections after kidney transplantationI Helantera
Department of Nephrology and Intensive Care, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Berlin, Germany Berlin Brandenburg Center for Regenerative Therapies BCRT, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Berlin, Germany Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Transpl Infect Dis 16:568-77. 2014..Among 1129 kidney transplant recipients transplanted between 2004 and 2011 in Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin and Helsinki University Hospital, 297 patients with CMV infection were characterized...
- Novel GMP-compatible protocol employing an allogeneic B cell bank for clonal expansion of allospecific natural regulatory T cellsS Landwehr-Kenzel
Berlin Brandenburg Center for Regenerative Therapies, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany Berlin Brandenburg School for Regenerative Therapies, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany Department of Pediatric Pulmonology and Immunology, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Am J Transplant 14:594-606. 2014..This novel method offers a simple approach for expanding antigen-specific nTreg and is characterized by high replicability and easy transferability to full GMP standards. ..
- Impaired insulin sensitivity as an underlying mechanism linking hepatitis C and posttransplant diabetes mellitus in kidney recipientsS Baid-Agrawal
Division of Nephrology and Medical Intensive Care, Department of Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Am J Transplant 9:2777-84. 2009....
- Immunogenicity and safety of hepatitis A vaccine in liver and renal transplant recipientsK Stark
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Charite, Humboldt University, 14050 Berlin, Germany
J Infect Dis 180:2014-7. 1999..The vaccine was well tolerated. Hepatitis A vaccine can be recommended to LTX and RTX patients, but the patients should receive a full course of 2 doses before imminent exposure...
- High prevalence of cardiotropic viruses in myocardial tissue from explanted hearts of heart transplant recipients and heart donors: a 3-year retrospective study from a German patients' poolOliver Donoso Mantke
Centre for Biological Safety, Robert Koch Institute, Berlin, Germany
J Heart Lung Transplant 24:1632-8. 2005....
- Percutaneous computer tomography-guided ethanol sympathicolysis for the treatment of resistant arterial hypertensionF Streitparth
Department of Radiology, Charite, Humboldt University Medical School, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353, Berlin, Germany
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 37:513-8. 2014..As an alternative to catheter-based radiofrequency (RF) ablation, renal sympathicolysis can also be achieved by image-guided percutaneous injection of ethanol around the renal artery...
- Kaletra single agent HAART after intolerance of NRTI- and NNRTI-containing regimens following kidney transplantationD Schurmann
Dept of Infectious Diseases and Respiratory Medicine, Charite, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Augustenburger Platz, Berlin, Germany
Infection 35:194-6. 2007..Kaletra was well tolerated and resulted in sustained viral load suppression below the limit of detection for at least 36 months...
- Induction of pre-transplant Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection by donor blood transfusion in EBV-seronegative recipients may reduce risk of post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease in adolescent renal transplant patients: report of two casesN Babel
Interdisciplinary Transplant Research Laboratory, Charite University Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Transpl Infect Dis 7:133-6. 2005....
- Living kidney donation: anemia and inflammation in the early postoperative periodD J Hampel
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin Campus Virchow Klinikum, Berlin, Germany
Transplant Proc 38:661-3. 2006..These parameters improved during the hospital stay, in some cases they achieved the prenephrectomy level at discharge. These data may assist in interpreting laboratory results after nephrectomy among living kidney donors...
- Downregulation of the epidermal growth factor receptor by human cytomegalovirus infection in human fetal lung fibroblastsThomas Beutler
Institute of Virology and Department of Neonatology, University Hospital Charite, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 28:86-94. 2003..From these data it can be hypothesized that the pathogenesis of HCMV lung infection involves down-regulation of EGF-R and that congenital HCMV infection may cause retardation in lung maturation and surfactant protein synthesis...