Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Humboldt University
- Diabetes caused by insulin gene (INS) deletion: clinical characteristics of homozygous and heterozygous individualsKlemens Raile
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes, Charite Children s Hospital, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Charite Campus Virchow, Augustenburger Platz 1, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 165:255-60. 2011..The molecular mechanism of complete INS deletion has recently been published and we now add clinical data of homozygous and heterozygous subjects as well as the detailed mapping of the 646 bp deletion of the INS gene...
- Expanded clinical spectrum in hepatocyte nuclear factor 1b-maturity-onset diabetes of the youngKlemens Raile
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes, Charite Campus Virchow, 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:2658-64. 2009..We aimed to investigate detailed clinical features and the type of HNF1B gene anomaly in five pediatric cases with HNF1B-MODY...
- Diabetic nephropathy in 27,805 children, adolescents, and adults with type 1 diabetes: effect of diabetes duration, A1C, hypertension, dyslipidemia, diabetes onset, and sexKlemens Raile
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes, Charite Children s Hospital, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Diabetes Care 30:2523-8. 2007..To give an up-to-date profile of nephropathy and the involvement of risk factors in a large, prospective cohort of patients with type 1 diabetes and largely pediatric and adolescent onset of disease...
- Glucose regulates expression of the nerve growth factor (NGF) receptors TrkA and p75NTR in rat islets and INS-1E beta-cellsK Raile
Hospital for Children and Adolescents, Leipzig, Germany
Regul Pept 135:30-8. 2006..We therefore investigated whether or not glucose concentration influences expression of TrkA and p75NTR in rat islets and in INS-1E beta-cells at the mRNA and protein level (INS-1E)...
- Clinical and functional characteristics of the human Arg59Ter insulin-like growth factor i receptor (IGF1R) mutation: implications for a gene dosage effect of the human IGF1RK Raile
Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Augustenburgerplatz 1, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:2264-71. 2006..Signaling via the IGF-I receptor (IGF-IR) is crucial for normal prenatal and postnatal growth. The heterozygous IGF-IR mutation Arg59Ter resulted in reduced IGF-IR expression and represents haploinsufficiency of the human IGF1R gene...
- Clinical examples of disturbed IGF signaling: intrauterine and postnatal growth retardation due to mutations of the insulin-like growth factor I receptor (IGF-IR) geneW Kiess
Hospital for Children and Adolescents, University of Leipzig, Oststr 21 25, D 04317, Leipzig, Germany
Rev Endocr Metab Disord 6:183-7. 2005
- Obesity in childhood and adolescence: clinical diagnosis and managementW Kiess
Hospital for Children and Adolescents, University of Leipzig, Germany
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 14:1431-40. 2001..This review aims to increase awareness of the health burden and economic dimension of the epidemic of childhood obesity that is occurring around the globe...
- Insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) stimulates proliferation but also increases caspase-3 activity, Annexin-V binding, and DNA-fragmentation in human MG63 osteosarcoma cells: co-activation of pro- and anti-apoptotic pathways by IGF-IK Raile
Research Laboratory, Hospital for Children and Adolescents, Faculty of Medicine, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Horm Metab Res 35:786-93. 2003..Furthermore, in sarcomas or carcinomas showing clinical association to IGF-I levels and malignancy, IGF-I dependent apoptosis and proliferation could be a significant mechanism of malignant tumour growth...
- IGFs, basic FGF, and glucose modulate proliferation and apoptosis induced by IFNgamma but not by IL-1beta in rat INS-1E beta-cellsK Raile
Research Laboratory, Hospital for Children and Adolescents, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Horm Metab Res 35:407-14. 2003..Cytokines IFNg and IL-1beta differentially interfere with intracellular signaling cascades stimulated by IGFs and bFGF or glucose, respectively...
- Daily insulin requirement of children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes: effect of age, gender, body mass index and mode of therapySusanna Wiegand
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetology, Charite Children s Hospital, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 158:543-9. 2008..The purpose of this study was to generate insulin dose (ID) percentiles for children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus (DM1) having the opportunity to assess this important parameter in relation to age and sex...
- Protein phosphatase 1 (PP-1)-dependent inhibition of insulin secretion by leptin in INS-1 pancreatic β-cells and human pancreatic isletsPeter Kuehnen
Institute of Experimental Pediatric Endocrinology, Charite Children s Hospital, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Endocrinology 152:1800-8. 2011....
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents: a review from a European perspectiveW Kiess
Hospital for Children and Adolescents, University of Leipzig, Germany
Horm Res 59:77-84. 2003....
- IGF-I receptor mutations resulting in intrauterine and postnatal growth retardationM Jennifer Abuzzahab
Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
N Engl J Med 349:2211-22. 2003..We postulated that mutations in the gene for the insulin-like growth factor I receptor (IGF-IR) might underlie some cases of prenatal and postnatal growth failure...
- Insulin detemir offers improved glycemic control compared with NPH insulin in people with type 1 diabetesWieland Kiess
Diabetes Care 27:2567-8. 2004
- Delayed pubertal onset and development in German children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes: cross-sectional analysis of recent data from the DPV diabetes documentation and quality management systemTilman Rohrer
Pediatric Diabetes Unit, Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, Saarland University Hospital, Homburg Saar, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 157:647-53. 2007....
- Tracking and prediction of arterial blood pressure from childhood to young adulthood in 868 patients with type 1 diabetes: a multicenter longitudinal survey in Germany and AustriaIna Knerr
Children s and Adolescents Hospital, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Diabetes Care 31:726-7. 2008..Arterial blood pressure was followed in 868 patients with type 1 diabetes aged 6.0-19.9 years in 95 centers in Germany and Austria...
- Early manifestation of type 1 diabetes in children is a risk factor for changed bone geometry: data using peripheral quantitative computed tomographySusanne Bechtold
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, University Children s Hospital, Lindwurmstrasse 4, D 80337 Munich, Germany
Pediatrics 118:e627-34. 2006..To detect possible abnormalities in bone mineralization, geometry, and muscle bone unit, we measured selective parameters in children with type 1 diabetes using peripheral quantitative computed tomography...
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents--the beginning of a renal catastrophe?Wieland Kiess
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:2693-6. 2004