Affiliation: Humboldt University
- Reinach P, Mergler S, Okada Y, Saika S. Ocular transient receptor potential channel function in health and disease. BMC Ophthalmol. 2015;15 Suppl 1:153 pubmed publisher..Another possible upshot of future studies is that disease process progression can be better evaluated by profiling changes in tissue specific functional TRP subtype activity as well as their gene and protein expression. ..
- Mergler S, Strowski M, Kaiser S, Plath T, Giesecke Y, Neumann M, et al. Transient receptor potential channel TRPM8 agonists stimulate calcium influx and neurotensin secretion in neuroendocrine tumor cells. Neuroendocrinology. 2007;85:81-92 pubmed..The regulation of NT secretion in NETs by TRPM8 may have a potential clinical implication in diagnosis or therapy. ..
- Mergler S, Garreis F, Sahlmüller M, Reinach P, Paulsen F, Pleyer U. Thermosensitive transient receptor potential channels in human corneal epithelial cells. J Cell Physiol. 2011;226:1828-42 pubmed publisher..We conclude that HCEC possess in addition to thermosensitive TRPV3 activity TRPV1, TRPV2, and TRPV4 activity. Their activation confers temperature sensitivity at the ocular surface, which may protect the cornea against such stress. ..
- Mergler S, Skrzypski M, Sassek M, Pietrzak P, Pucci C, Wiedenmann B, et al. Thermo-sensitive transient receptor potential vanilloid channel-1 regulates intracellular calcium and triggers chromogranin A secretion in pancreatic neuroendocrine BON-1 tumor cells. Cell Signal. 2012;24:233-46 pubmed publisher..Activation of TRPV1 translates into changes of intracellular Ca(2+), a known mechanism triggering the secretion of CgA. The clinical relevance of TRPV1 activation in NETs requires further investigations. ..
- Mergler S, Valtink M, Taetz K, Sahlmüller M, Fels G, Reinach P, et al. Characterization of transient receptor potential vanilloid channel 4 (TRPV4) in human corneal endothelial cells. Exp Eye Res. 2011;93:710-9 pubmed publisher..There is functional TRPV4 expression in HCEC-12 and in its clonal daughter cell lines based on Ca(2+) transients and underlying currents induced by known activators of this channel. ..
- Mergler S, Garreis F, Sahlmüller M, Lyras E, Reinach P, Dwarakanath A, et al. Calcium regulation by thermo- and osmosensing transient receptor potential vanilloid channels (TRPVs) in human conjunctival epithelial cells. Histochem Cell Biol. 2012;137:743-61 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, conjunctiva express TRPV1, TRPV2, and TRPV4 channels which may provide novel drug targets for dry eye therapeutics. Their usage may have fewer side effects than those currently encountered with less selective drugs. ..
- Mergler S, Mertens C, Valtink M, Reinach P, Székely V, Slavi N, et al. Functional significance of thermosensitive transient receptor potential melastatin channel 8 (TRPM8) expression in immortalized human corneal endothelial cells. Exp Eye Res. 2013;116:337-49 pubmed publisher..Taken together, functional TRPM8 expression in HCEC-12 and freshly dissociated HCEC suggests that HCE function can adapt to thermal variations through activation of this channel subtype. ..