Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Humboldt University
- Prophylaxis of postoperative relapse in Crohn's disease with mesalamine: European Cooperative Crohn's Disease Study VIH Lochs
IV Medizinische Klinik, Universitatsklinikum Charite, Humboldt Universitat, Berlin, Germany
Gastroenterology 118:264-73. 2000..This study investigated if long-term treatment with high-dose mesalamine reduces the risk of clinical relapse of Crohn's disease after surgical resection...
- Increased intestinal permeability in malnourished patients with liver cirrhosisK Norman
Medizinische Klinik für Gastroenterologie, Infektiologie und Rheumatologie einschl Arbeitsbereich Ernährungsmedizin, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Charite Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Clin Nutr 66:1116-9. 2012..The objective of this study is to investigate whether malnutrition is associated with increased gastrointestinal permeability in liver cirrhosis reflected by altered urinary excretion of non-metabolizable sugar probes...
- Clinical relevance of measuring colonic permeabilityV Haas
Charite University Clinic, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Clin Invest 39:139-44. 2009..The relevance of colonic permeability has not yet been adequately investigated. The aim of this study was to investigate the clinical value of sucralose excretion as indicator for colonic permeability in these patient groups...
- Heterozygosity for IL23R p.Arg381Gln confers a protective effect not only against Crohn's disease but also ulcerative colitisC Buning
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Charite, Campus Mitte, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 26:1025-33. 2007..A recent study reported that a non-synonymous single nucleotide polymorphism (rs11209026, p.Arg381Gln) located in the IL23R gene is a protective marker for inflammatory bowel disease...
- Macroscopic appearance of intestinal angiodysplasias under antiangiogenic treatment with thalidomideJ Bauditz
Charite University Hospital, IVth Department of Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Endoscopy 38:1036-9. 2006..Thalidomide is a potent inhibitor of angiogenesis in experimental models. As angiodysplasias are a result of unregulated vessel growth, antiangiogenic treatment may inhibit growth of angiodysplasias...
- Immunization of cancer patients with autologous cancer-derived heat shock protein gp96 preparations: a pilot studyS Janetzki
IV Medizinische Klinik der Charitè, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Int J Cancer 88:232-8. 2000..These observations are entirely consistent with the murine experience and form a firm basis for future trials with clinical end points, using autologous, patient-specific HSP-peptide vaccines...
- ESPEN Guidelines on Enteral Nutrition: GastroenterologyH Lochs
Department of Gastroenterology, Charite Universitatsmedizin, CCM, Berlin, Germany
Clin Nutr 25:260-74. 2006..In remission ONS is recommended only in steroid dependent patients in CD. In patients with SBS TF should be introduced in the adaptation phase and should be changed with progressing adaptation to ONS in addition to normal food...
- Does passage of a patency capsule indicate small-bowel patency? A prospective clinical trial?M L Boivin
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Universitatsklinikum Charite, Humboldt University, Schumannstrasse 20 21, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Endoscopy 37:808-15. 2005..The purpose of this prospective study was to investigate the feasibility and safety of the recently developed patency capsule, and its predictive value regarding the clinical relevance of radiographic small-bowel strictures...
- Small bowel involvement in Crohn's disease: a prospective comparison of wireless capsule endoscopy and computed tomography enteroclysisW A Voderholzer
Medical Clinic IV Gastroenterology Hepatology Endocrinology Metabolism, Charite University Hospital, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Gut 54:369-73. 2005..Wireless capsule endoscopy (WCE) offers endoscopic access to the small bowel and may therefore change diagnostic and therapeutic strategies in small bowel diseases...
- Possible role of MDR1 two-locus genotypes for young-age onset ulcerative colitis but not Crohn's diseaseT Fiedler
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, CCM, Chariteplatz 1, Berlin, 10117, Germany
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 63:917-25. 2007..The role of the single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) on positions 2677G>T/A and 3435C>T of the multi-drug-resistance gene 1 (MDR1) in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) remains unclear...
- Thalidomide for treatment of severe intestinal bleedingJ Bauditz
Charite University Hospital, IVth Department of Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Gut 53:609-12. 2004..These results indicate that thalidomide might be useful for patients with otherwise refractory intestinal bleeding...
- Spatial organisation of microbiota in quiescent adenoiditis and tonsillitisA Swidsinski
Medizinische Klinik, Charité Humboldt Universität, CCM, Molekular genetisches Labor für polymikrobielle Infektionen und bakterielle Biofilme, Berlin, Germany
J Clin Pathol 60:253-60. 2007..The reasons for recurrent adenotonsillitis are poorly understood...
- Cost-effectiveness of a 3-month intervention with oral nutritional supplements in disease-related malnutrition: a randomised controlled pilot studyK Norman
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Charite University Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Clin Nutr 65:735-42. 2011..We investigated whether post-hospital supplementation with ONS is cost-effective according to international benchmarks in malnourished patients...
- Glutamine-enriched total parenteral nutrition in patients with inflammatory bowel diseaseJ Ockenga
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Medical School of Hannover, Germany
Eur J Clin Nutr 59:1302-9. 2005..However, human data supporting this assumption are missing...
- Nutritional assessment and management in hospitalised patients: implication for DRG-based reimbursement and health care qualityJ Ockenga
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Charite, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Schumannstrasse 20 21, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Clin Nutr 24:913-9. 2005..The primary aim of this study was to evaluate the economic effect of a nutritional screening procedure on the identification and coding of malnutrition in the G-DRG system...
- Genetic basis for increased intestinal permeability in families with Crohn's disease: role of CARD15 3020insC mutation?S Buhner
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Endocrinology, Campus Charite Mitte, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Schumannstr 20 21, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Gut 55:342-7. 2006..Recently, mutations of the capsase recruitment domain family, member 15 (CARD15) gene have been identified and associated with CD. We hypothesise that a CARD15 mutation may be associated with an impaired intestinal barrier...
- Bacterial biofilm within diseased pancreatic and biliary tractsA Swidsinski
Innere Klinik, Gastroenterologie, Charite, 10098 Berlin, Germany
Gut 54:388-95. 2005..Bacterial community structures in human pancreatic and biliary tracts were evaluated...
- Chronic intermittent abdominal painJ Ockenga
Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Schumannstrasse 20 21, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Gut 54:1002, 1013. 2005
- Interaction between nutrition, intestinal flora and the gastrointestinal immune systemH Lochs
Medizinische Klinik mit Schwerpunkt Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Charite, Schumannstrasse 20 21, DE 10117 Berlin, Germany
Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Clin Perform Programme 10:179-85; discussion 185-8. 2005
- To feed or not to feed? Are nutritional supplements worthwhile in active Crohn's disease?H Lochs
Medizinische Klinik mit Schwerpunkt Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Schumannstr 20 21, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Gut 55:306-7. 2006
- European evidence based consensus on the diagnosis and management of Crohn's disease: special situationsR Caprilli
John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
Gut 55:i36-58. 2006..The second section on current management addresses treatment of active disease, maintenance of medically induced remission, and surgery of Crohn's disease...
- Assessment of suspected insulinoma by 48-hour fasting test: a retrospective monocentric study of 23 casesM Quinkler
Clinical Endocrinology, Internal Medicine Center for Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Endocrinology, Charite Campus Mitte, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Horm Metab Res 39:507-10. 2007..The aim of our study was to evaluate retrospectively the percentage of positive 48-hour fasting tests in a large series of patients with insulinoma...
- Barrier function of the gut and multiple organ dysfunction after cardiac surgeryJ P Braun
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Charité Campus Mitte and Charité Virchow Klinikum, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Berlin, Germany
J Int Med Res 35:72-83. 2007..A reduced pre-operative functional mucosal surface may predict the early occurrence of MOD after surgery...
- [ESPEN guidelines on enteral nutrition--summary]T Schutz
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Medizinische Klinik mit Schwerpunkt Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Berlin
Z Gastroenterol 44:683-4. 2006..dgem.de. The ESPEN guidelines enteral nutrition reflect the current medical knowledge in the field of enteral nutrition therapy and may help to decide when enteral nutrition is indicated and which therapeutic goals can be reached...
- ESPEN Guidelines on Enteral Nutrition: GeriatricsD Volkert
Head Medical Science Division, Pfrimmer Nutricia, Erlangen, Germany
Clin Nutr 25:330-60. 2006..Altogether, it is strongly recommended not to wait until severe undernutrition has developed, but to start EN therapy early, as soon as a nutritional risk becomes apparent...
- Introductory to the ESPEN Guidelines on Enteral Nutrition: Terminology, definitions and general topicsH Lochs
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany
Clin Nutr 25:180-6. 2006..Additionally answers to more general questions, which might be important in most indications are dealt with, i.e. use of fibre containing and diabetes formulae...
- [Malnutrition in liver cirrhosis: impact of protein rich oral diet]M Pirlich
Klinik fur Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin
Z Gastroenterol 44:344-5. 2006
- Antibiotic treatment of Crohn's disease: results of a multicentre, double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial with rifaximinC Prantera
Operative Unit of Gastroenterology, St Camillo Forlanini Hospital, Rome, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 23:1117-25. 2006..Clinicians often employ antibiotics in Crohn's disease. Rifaximin is active against bacteria frequently found in the intestinal mucosa of Crohn's disease patients...
- [Enteral nutrition]M Pirlich
Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany
Internist (Berl) 47:405-19; quiz 420-21. 2006..e. specific amino acids, nucleotides or fatty acids to improve the immune function. These modified diets are used for specific indications which are highlighted in this article...
- [Hypogonadism despite of normal testosterone levels]J Bauditz
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Universitätsklinikum Charité Campus Mitte, Berlin
Internist (Berl) 46:334-40. 2005..The patient was treated by combined radiochemotherapy and is in remission since 7 years...
- Covered transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stents maintain lower portal pressure and require fewer reinterventions than uncovered stentsJ Ockenga
Medizinische Klinik mit Schwerpunkt Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany
Scand J Gastroenterol 39:994-9. 2004..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the patency, functional and haemodynamic results of expanded-polytetrafluoroethylene (ePTFE)-covered transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunts in patients with liver cirrhosis...
- Pseudoallergic reactions in chronic urticaria are associated with altered gastroduodenal permeabilityS Buhner
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Endocrinology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Allergy 59:1118-23. 2004..The aim of this study was to investigate whether disturbances of the gastrointestinal barrier function play a role in the pathomechanism of the disease...
- Replacement of conventional glucocorticoids by oral pH-modified release budesonide in active and inactive Crohn's disease: results of an open, prospective, multicenter trialT Andus
Klinikum Stuttgart, Krankenhaus Bad Cannstatt, Stuttgart, Germany
Dig Dis Sci 48:373-8. 2003..In conclusion, switching from conventional GCS treatment to budesonide leads to a significant reduction of GCS related side effects in patients with CD without causing rapid deterioration of the disease...
- Time gated fluorescence spectroscopy in Barrett's oesophagusM A E J Ortner
4th Medical Department, Charite University Hospital, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Gut 52:28-33. 2003....
- [Tumour anorexia--tumour cachexia in case of gastrointestinal tumours: standards and visions]J Ockenga
Medizinische Klinik mit Schwerpunkt Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Humboldt Universitat, Charite, Berlin, Germany
Z Gastroenterol 40:929-36. 2002..An algorithm of the current treatment strategies is given. In addition, we discuss new anabolic and anticatabolic agents (e.g. eicosapentanoic acid) and the results from first clinical trials...
- [Remicade in therapy of rheumatoid arthritis and Crohn diseases--no reason for panic]J R Kalden
Medizinische Klinik III mit Poliklinik Universitätsklinikum und Institut für Klinische Immunologie, Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg
Z Rheumatol 61:466-8. 2002
- Is topical delta-aminolevulinic acid adequate for photodynamic therapy in Barrett's esophagus? A pilot studyM A Ortner
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Endocrinology, Metabolism and Nutrition, Medical Faculty Charité, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Endoscopy 34:611-6. 2002....
- [Differential diagnosis of frequent pancreatic tumours with echo-enhanced power-Doppler sonography - presentation of case reports]S Rickes
Medizinische Klinik mit Schwerpunkt Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, des Universitätsklinikums Charité Campus Mitte der Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, Germany
Z Gastroenterol 40:235-40. 2002..Tumours associated with pancreatitis have a different vascularisation pattern depending on inflammation and necrosis. Cystadenomas frequently show many vessels along the fibrotic strands...
- Non-invasive evaluation of activity in inflammatory bowel disease by power Doppler sonographyR Heyne
Dept of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, University Hospital Charité Campus Mitte, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Z Gastroenterol 40:171-5. 2002..To study the vascularization in the diseased bowel wall by power Doppler sonography in patients with inflammatory bowel disease...
- Nutrition in the elderlyM Pirlich
, Medizinische Klinik mit Schwerpunkt Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Schumannstrasse 20/21, D-10117 Berlin, Germany
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 15:869-84. 2001..An improvement in the nutritional status can be achieved by simple methods such as the preparation of an adequate diet, hand feeding, additional sip feeding or enteral nutrition...
- Trimetrexate as biochemical modulator of 5-fluorouracil/leucovorin in advanced colorectal cancer: final results of a randomised European studyC J A Punt
University Medical Centre, St Radboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Ann Oncol 13:81-6. 2002..Phase II trials have shown promising activity of 5-FU/LV/TMTX in patients with advanced colorectal cancer (ACC). This trial evaluated the effect of TMTX in combination with 5-FU/LV as first-line treatment in ACC...
- Thalidomide reduces tumour necrosis factor alpha and interleukin 12 production in patients with chronic active Crohn's diseaseJ Bauditz
Charite University Hospital, 4th Department of Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Gut 50:196-200. 2002..Suppression of tumour necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha) by thalidomide has been suggested as a possible mechanism. However, effects on other cytokines have not been adequately investigated...
- Dyslipemia in familial partial lipodystrophy caused by an R482W mutation in the LMNA geneH H Schmidt
Charite Campus Mitte, Medizinische Klinik Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Berlin, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:2289-95. 2001..In conclusion, dyslipemia is an early and prominent feature in the presented lipodystrophic family carrying the R482W mutation within LMNA...
- Three novel mutations (P760L, L1305P, Q1351Stop) causing Wilson diseaseJ Genschel
Campus Charite Mitte, Med Klinik m S Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie, Berlin, Germany
Hum Mutat 17:156. 2001
- Improved assessment of body cell mass by segmental bioimpedance analysis in malnourished subjects and acromegalyM Pirlich
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Abteilung Gastroenterologie, Universitatsklinikum Charite, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Germany
Clin Nutr 22:167-74. 2003..Estimation of body cell mass (BCM) has been regarded valuable for the assessment of malnutrition...
- The C/C(-13910) and G/G(-22018) genotypes for adult-type hypolactasia are not associated with inflammatory bowel diseaseC Buning
Dept of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Charite, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Scand J Gastroenterol 38:538-42. 2003..We utilized these two DNA genotypes to study their role in inflammatory bowel disease...
- Mutations in the NOD2/CARD15 gene in Crohn's disease are associated with ileocecal resection and are a risk factor for reoperationC Buning
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Charite, Campus Mitte, Humboldt University, Schumannstrasse 20 21, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 19:1073-8. 2004..Mutations within the NOD2/CARD15 gene have recently been shown to be associated with Crohn's disease...
- Diagnostic yield of wireless capsule enteroscopy in comparison with computed tomography enteroclysisW A Voderholzer
Dept of Medicine IV Gastroenterology Hepatology Endocrinology Metabolism, Charite University Hospital, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Endoscopy 35:1009-14. 2003..In a prospective study, the diagnostic yield of wireless enteroscopy was therefore compared with computed tomography (CT) enteroclysis...
- The interleukin-25 gene located in the inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) 4 region: no association with inflammatory bowel diseaseC Buning
Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Immunogenet 30:329-33. 2003....
- Splanchnic oxygen transport, hepatic function and gastrointestinal barrier after normothermic cardiopulmonary bypassJ P Braun
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, University Hospital Charite, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 48:697-703. 2004....
- Prevalence of malnutrition in 1760 patients at hospital admission: a controlled population study of body compositionU G Kyle
Clinical Nutrition, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Clin Nutr 22:473-81. 2003....
- Keratin 8 Y54H and G62C mutations are not associated with inflammatory bowel diseaseC Buning
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Charite, Campus Mitte, Schumannstrasse 20 21, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Dig Liver Dis 36:388-91. 2004..Keratin 8 deficient mice display signs of colitis and diarrhoea characteristic for inflammatory bowel disease. Very recently, two keratin 8 mutations, Y54H and G62C, were identified...
- Differentiation of a pancreatic metastasis of a renal cell carcinoma from a primary pancreatic carcinoma by echo-enhanced power Doppler sonographyB Flath
Department of Oncology and Haematology, University Hospital Charité Campus Mitte, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Pancreatology 3:349-51. 2003..We conclude that this technique can provide an important contribution to the diagnosis in this special instance. However, histology is the standard in the differential diagnosis of pancreatic tumours...
- [Hypophyseal ACTH-cell carcinoma after several surgical interventions and radiotherapy]I Heukamp
Medizinische Klinik mit Schwerpunkt Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Endokrinologie der Charite Campus Mitte Berlin
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 129:310-2. 2004..The clinical examination was without abnormal findings apart from left temporal pain on pressure on the top of the skull...
- n-3, n-6, and n-9 polyunsaturated fatty acids--which composition in parenteral nutrition decreases severity of acute hemorrhagic necrotizing pancreatitis in rats?M Kilian
Clinic of General, Visceral, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery, Charite Campus Mitte, Humboldt University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Int J Colorectal Dis 21:57-63. 2006..Acute pancreatitis often requires parenteral nutrition. Thus, we analyzed, using a randomized trial, whether different fatty acids in parenteral nutrition influence lipidperoxidation and histopathology in acute pancreatitis in rats...
- Endoscopic injection of mitomycin adsorbed on carbon particles for advanced esophageal cancer: a pilot studyM A E Ortner
Department of Gastroenterology Hepatology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Endoscopy 36:421-5. 2004..The primary outcome parameter was survival time; secondary parameters were dysphagia and quality of life...
- [Pre- and probiotics]R Meier
Medizinische Universitatsklinik, Abteilung für Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Ernährung, Kantonsspital, Liestal, Switzerland
Ther Umsch 64:161-9. 2007..Future studies should focus to determine the characteristics of a healthy gut and the evaluation of specific health benefits by well-designed, controlled human studies of adequate duration...
- A sensitive noninvasive method for monitoring successful liver-directed gene transfer of the low-density lipoprotein receptor in Watanabe hyperlipidemic rabbits in vivoU J F Tietge
Department of Medicine and NWFZ, Charite Campus Mitte, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Gene Ther 11:574-80. 2004..5-fold higher L/H ratios on day 30. This imaging method might be a useful strategy to obtain reliable data on functional transgene expression in clinical gene therapy trials of familial hypercholesterolemia...
- A randomised placebo controlled trial of pegylated interferon alpha in active ulcerative colitisH Tilg
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology and Biostatistics, University Hospital Innsbruck, Austria
Gut 52:1728-33. 2003..We evaluated the safety of pegylated interferon alpha (PegIFN) and its role in induction of remission in patients with active ulcerative colitis, in a multicentre placebo controlled trial...
- [Practical tips for probiotics use by Prof. H. Lochs, Berlin. Deep effects]H Lochs
MMW Fortschr Med 144:10. 2002
- Evidence supports nutritional supportH Lochs
Clin Nutr 25:177-9. 2006