Affiliation: Humboldt University
- Cytomegalovirus (CMV) phosphoprotein 65 makes a large contribution to shaping the T cell repertoire in CMV-exposed individualsFlorian Kern
Institut für Medizinische Immunologie der Charité, Campus Mitte, 10098 Berlin, Germany
J Infect Dis 185:1709-16. 2002..Several new T cell epitopes were identified...
- Protection from cytomegalovirus after transplantation is correlated with immediate early 1-specific CD8 T cellsTorsten Bunde
, Charit, , Campus Mitte, 10098 Berlin, Germany
J Exp Med 201:1031-6. 2005..In conclusion, high frequencies of IE-1 but not pp65-specific CD8 T cells correlate with protection from CMV disease. These results have important implications for monitoring T cell responses, adoptive cell therapy, and vaccine design...
- HLA type-independent generation of antigen-specific T cells for adoptive immunotherapyMarkus H Hammer
Department of Nephrology and Internal Intensive Care, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Immunol 35:2250-8. 2005..The protocol combines the biosafety of peptide-based approaches with HLA type independence and may help to advance adoptive immunotherapy in the future...
- Target structures of the CD8(+)-T-cell response to human cytomegalovirus: the 72-kilodalton major immediate-early protein revisitedF Kern
Institut fur Medizinische Immunologie, Medizinische Fakultät der Humboldt Universität zu Berlin Charité, 10098 Berlin, Germany
J Virol 73:8179-84. 1999..In summary, our results suggest that IE-1 is far more important as a CD8(+)-T-cell target than current opinion suggests...
- Distribution of human CMV-specific memory T cells among the CD8pos. subsets defined by CD57, CD27, and CD45 isoformsF Kern
Institut für Medizinische Immunologie Charité Campus Mitte, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Immunol 29:2908-15. 1999..This subpopulation likely includes the fully differentiated memory cells responsible for the long-term immune defense against HCMV reactivation...
- Measurement of anti-human cytomegalovirus T cell reactivity in transplant recipients and its potential clinical use: a mini-reviewF Kern
Institut fur Medizinische Immunologie, Charité Medizinische Fakultät der Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, Berlin, Deutschland
Intervirology 42:322-4. 1999..We also discuss a number of preconditions for integrating such testing into the clinical routine...
- Analysis of CD8 T cell reactivity to cytomegalovirus using protein-spanning pools of overlapping pentadecapeptidesF Kern
Institut fur Medizinische Immunologie, Charite, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Immunol 30:1676-82. 2000..Similar pools may be applied to examine the role of proteins from other pathogens, in autoimmune disease or following vaccination...
- Measuring Ag-specific immune responses: understanding immunopathogenesis and improving diagnostics in infectious disease, autoimmunity and cancerFlorian Kern
Institut fur Medizinische Immunologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Mitte, 10098 Berlin, Germany
Trends Immunol 26:477-84. 2005....
- Immunomodulatory therapies: challenges of individualized therapy strategiesH D Volk
Institute for Medical Immunology, , , 10117 Berlin, Germany
Ernst Schering Found Symp Proc 4:59-68. 2006..Herein we report on new biomarkerguided studies in the immunosuppressive treatment of transplant patients and patients with autoimmune disease and we discuss its benefits and pitfalls...
- A protocol for combining proliferation, tetramer staining and intracellular cytokine detection for the flow-cytometric analysis of antigen specific T-cellsL Tesfa
Institut fur Medizinische Immunologie, Berliner Hochschulmedizin Charite, Charite Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
J Biol Regul Homeost Agents 17:366-70. 2003....
- Selection of CMV-specific CD8+ and CD4+ T cells by mini-EBV-transformed B cell linesMartina Wiesner
Department of Gene Vectors, GSF - National Research Center for Environment and Health, Munich, Germany
Eur J Immunol 35:2110-21. 2005..Using a peptide library covering the pp65 sequence for further analysis of T cell clones, we identified new pp65 CD8(+) and CD4(+) T cell epitopes...
- Broadly targeted human cytomegalovirus-specific CD4+ and CD8+ T cells dominate the memory compartments of exposed subjectsAndrew W Sylwester
Vaccine and Gene Therapy Institute, Department of Pathology, Oregon Health and Science University, Beaverton, 97006, USA
J Exp Med 202:673-85. 2005..These data provide the first glimpse of the total human T cell response to a complex infectious agent and will provide insight into the rules governing immunodominance and cross-reactivity in complex viral infections of humans...
- Sorting and pooling strategy: a novel tool to map a virus proteome for CD8 T-cell epitopesBernhard Ay
Institut für Medizinische Immunulogie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Biopolymers 88:64-75. 2007..So far, 9069 of these peptides have been tested in an ex vivo T-cell stimulation assay. As well as confirming a number of previously known epitopes, we identified several new ones...
- Measurement of antigen specific immune responses: 2006 updateGiuseppina Li Pira
Viral Immunology, Advanced Biotechnology Center, Largo Benzi 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Cytometry B Clin Cytom 72:77-85. 2007....
- CMV-specific central memory T cells reside in bone marrowAnne Letsch
Department of Hematology, Oncology, Charite, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Immunol 37:3063-8. 2007..CMV specific BM-derived T(CM) might be a valuable source for generating T cells for adoptive transfer...
- Use of peptides and peptide libraries as T-cell stimulants in flow cytometric studiesGeorgy Cherepnev
Institute for Medical Immunology, Charite, , , Berlin 10117, Germany
Methods Cell Biol 75:453-79. 2004
- Enumeration of antigen-specific CD8+ T lymphocytes by single-platform, HLA tetramer-based flow cytometry: a European multicenter evaluationIngmar A F M Heijnen
Division of Immunology, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Kantonsspital Aarau, Aarau, Switzerland
Cytometry B Clin Cytom 62:1-13. 2004..Hence, the European Working Group on Clinical Cell Analysis set out to develop and evaluate a single-platform tetramer-based method that used cytomegalovirus (CMV) as the antigenic model...
- Comparison of proliferation and rapid cytokine induction assays for flow cytometric T-cell epitope mappingLydia Tesfa
Institute for Medical Immunology, , Berlin, Germany
Cytometry A 52:36-45. 2003..However, it may be best to use both assays, particularly in situations in which the identification of epitopes may depend on prior clonal T-cell expansion...
- Dissection of the CMV specific T-cell response is required for optimized cardiac transplant monitoringAlexander Kirchner
Institut fur Medizinische Immunologie, Charite, Berlin, Germany
J Med Virol 80:1604-14. 2008..These results should be used to inform the design of clinically applicable and diagnostically useful approaches to monitoring CMV specific responses in heart transplant recipients...
- No difference in type 1 T-cell immune responses to human cytomegalovirus antigens between atopic children and nonatopic childrenNora Laske
J Allergy Clin Immunol 112:210-2. 2003
- Detection of antigen-specific T cells by cytokine flow cytometry: the use of whole blood may underestimate frequenciesBodo Hoffmeister
, , Charit, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Immunol 33:3484-92. 2003..In several instances, responses identified with PBMC were not at all detected with whole blood. In summary, studies using whole blood in this type of assay are likely to underestimate the frequencies of antigen-specific T cells...
- Random screening of proteins for HLA-A*0201-binding nine-amino acid peptides is not sufficient for identifying CD8 T cell epitopes recognized in the context of HLA-A*0201Christian Pelte
, , , Berlin, Germany
J Immunol 172:6783-9. 2004..We conclude that MHC/peptide binding predictions are helpful for locating epitopes in known target proteins but not necessarily for screening epitopes in proteins not known to be T cell targets...
- Analysis of antigen-specific T-cell responses with synthetic peptides--what kind of peptide for which purpose?Felix Kiecker
Abteilung Klinische Immunologie, Institut für Medizinische Immunologie der Charité, Humboldt Universität zu Berlin Charité, Campus Charite Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Hum Immunol 65:523-36. 2004..These parameters may be modified subject to the purpose of a study...
- Confirmation of Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection by flow cytometry after ex vivo incubation of peripheral blood T cells with an ESAT-6-derived peptide poolLydia Tesfa
, , , Berlin, Germany
Cytometry B Clin Cytom 60:47-53. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: Cytokine flow cytometry following PBMC stimulation with an ESAT-6 spanning peptide pool is a useful laboratory test for ESAT-6-specific T cells combining precise counting and multi-parameter phenotyping...
- Cross-sectional and longitudinal analysis of myelin-reactive T cells in patients with multiple sclerosisJan D Lunemann
Institute of Neuroimmunology, Neuroscience Research Center, Charite, 10098, Berlin, Germany
J Neurol 251:1111-20. 2004..Our data provide new perspectives in detecting pathogenetically relevant T cells, but clearly demonstrate the different conclusions which must be drawn from various approaches concerning the quantification of autoreactive T cells...
- Evaluation of the frequency of virus-specific CD8+ T cells by cytokine flow cytometryBodo Hoffmeister
Institute of Medical Immunology, Charit, Humboldt-University, Berlin, Germany
Methods Mol Biol 215:59-69. 2003
- The role of flow cytometry in the interferon-gamma-based diagnosis of active tuberculosis and its coinfection with HIV-1--A technically oriented reviewGeorge Janossy
Department of Immunology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, United Kingdom
Cytometry B Clin Cytom 74:S141-51. 2008..In active TB, but not in BCG vaccinees, TB-specific memory CD4+ T cells can be found in blood that are dominantly CD27-negative and probably lung seeking and can be diagnostically useful...
- T cell response to the cytomegalovirus major capsid protein (UL86) is dominated by helper cells with a large polyfunctional component and diverse epitope recognitionStephan Fuhrmann
Institut fur Medizinische Immunologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany
J Infect Dis 197:1455-8. 2008..A total of 8 CD4 T cell epitopes were identified. In contrast, CD8 T cell responses to UL86 were rare and small. UL86 is of interest for monitoring the response to CMV...
- NS1 specific CD8+ T-cells with effector function and TRBV11 dominance in a patient with parvovirus B19 associated inflammatory cardiomyopathyMathias Streitz
Institute of Medical Immunology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
PLoS ONE 3:e2361. 2008..Despite the importance of T-cells in antiviral defense, little is known about the role of B19V specific T-cells in this entity...
- Mapping T cell epitopes by flow cytometryBodo Hoffmeister
Department of Medical Immunology, Charit, , Schumannstrasse 21, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Methods 29:270-81. 2003..This article includes information on peptide configuration, a section on the design and efficient application of peptide pools, and working laboratory protocols for both assays...