Affiliation: Humboldt University
- Predicting post-stroke pneumonia: the PANTHERIS scoreH Harms
Center for Stroke Research Berlin CSB, Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Acta Neurol Scand 128:178-84. 2013..Stroke-associated pneumonia (SAP) is a common complication with a known negative impact on neurological outcome. We developed a score to identify patients at highest risk of SAP in order to promote prophylactic measures...
- Influence of stroke localization on autonomic activation, immunodepression, and post-stroke infectionHendrik Harms
Neurological Department and Center of Stroke Research Berlin CSB, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Chariteplatz 1, Berlin, Germany
Cerebrovasc Dis 32:552-60. 2011..In a post hoc analysis of the PANTHERIS (Preventive Antibacterial Treatment in Acute Stroke) trial, we investigated the impact of distinct lesion patterns on SNS activation, immunodepression, and frequency of post-stroke infections...
- Decision-making in the diagnosis and treatment of stroke-associated pneumoniaHendrik Harms
NeuroCure Clinical Reseach Center NCRC, Center for Stroke Research Berlin CSB, Department of Neurology, Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 83:1225-30. 2012..Current European and American guidelines for acute stroke care are lacking standardised recommendations for the management of SAP. We investigated current diagnostic and treatment practice for SAP in German stroke units (SU)...
- STRoke Adverse outcome is associated WIth NoSocomial Infections (STRAWINSKI): procalcitonin ultrasensitive-guided antibacterial therapy in severe ischaemic stroke patients - rationale and protocol for a randomized controlled trialLena Ulm
NeuroCure Clinical Research Center, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany Department of Neurology and Center for Stroke Research Berlin, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Int J Stroke 8:598-603. 2013..Biomarkers may help to identify stroke patients at high risk for pneumonia and to guide physicians in an early antibiotic treatment, thereby improving stroke outcome...
- Development of a clinical score (A2DS2) to predict pneumonia in acute ischemic strokeSarah Hoffmann
Centre for Stroke Research Berlin, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Berlin, Germany
Stroke 43:2617-23. 2012..Poststroke pneumonia is a potentially preventable complication after stroke associated with poor outcome. We developed and externally validated a prognostic score for predicting risk of pneumonia after ischemic stroke...
- Impact of infections on long-term outcome after severe middle cerebral artery infarctionLena Ulm
NeuroCure Clinical Research Center, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
J Neurol Sci 319:15-7. 2012..Our observation warrants prospective trials on prevention or early treatment of post-stroke infections in order to improve long-term outcome after stroke...
- Predicting post-stroke infections and outcome with blood-based immune and stress markersAndreas Meisel
NeuroCure Clinical Research Center, Department of Neurology and Center for Stroke Research Berlin, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Cerebrovasc Dis 33:580-8. 2012..Careful evaluation of prognostic markers is needed to prevent the occurrence of self-fulfilling prophecy...
- Preventive antibacterial therapy in acute ischemic stroke: a randomized controlled trialHendrik Harms
Department of Neurology, Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
PLoS ONE 3:e2158. 2008..In this study we investigate whether this approach is effective in stroke patients...
- Stroke-induced immunodepression: experimental evidence and clinical relevanceUlrich Dirnagl
Department of Neurology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Stroke 38:770-3. 2007..Nevertheless, clinical evidence is emerging demonstrating that stroke-induced immunodepression in humans not only exists, but has very similar features to those characterized in rodent experiments...