Affiliation: Humboldt University
- Quantification of free RNA in serum and bronchial lavage: a new diagnostic tool in lung cancer detection?Bernd Schmidt
Division of Pneumology, University Hospital Charite, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Charite Mitte, Schumannstr 20 21, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Lung Cancer 48:145-7. 2005..009). In conclusion, quantification of intact RNA isolated from BLF supernatant and from serum might become a valuable tool for differentiation between tumor and non-tumor patients...
- Free circulating nucleic acids in plasma and serum (CNAPS) -- Useful for the detection of lung cancer patients?Michael Fleischhacker
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Med Klinik m S Onkologie und Hämatologie, Berlin, Germany
Cancer Biomark 6:211-9. 2010..In addition, we highlight some technical points considering the pre-analytical probe handling and assay standardization, as well as the biology behind free-circulating nucleic acids...
- Correlation of SHOX2 gene amplification and DNA methylation in lung cancer tumorsKatja U Schneider
University Hospital Heidelberg, Institute of Human Genetics, Heidelberg, Germany
BMC Cancer 11:102. 2011..An amplification of the SHOX2 gene locus together with the observed tumor-specific hypermethylation might explain the good performance of this marker in bronchial lavage samples...
- SHOX2 DNA methylation is a biomarker for the diagnosis of lung cancer based on bronchial aspiratesBernd Schmidt
Universitätsklinik und Poliklinik für Innere Medizin I, Universitätsklinikum Halle Saale, Halle, Germany
BMC Cancer 10:600. 2010..A test with a low false positive rate can reduce the need for further invasive and costly procedures and ensure early treatment...
- Biology of circulating mRNA: still more questions than answers?Michael Fleischhacker
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Medizinische Klinik m S Onkologie u Hämatologie, Molekularbiologisches Labor, Alte Apotheke, Schumannstr 20 21, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1075:40-9. 2006..In this short review I will discuss some basic aspects of the release mechanisms for the RNA, its biological meaning, and clinical value...
- 3rd International Symposium on Circulating Nucleic Acids in Plasma and Serum (CNAPS III). Santa Monica, California, November 9-12, 2003M Fleischhacker
UniversitÃ¤tsmedizin Berlin, Medizinische Klinik II, Onkologie und HÃ¤matologie, CCM, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Med Res 9:87-93. 2004..This meeting report summarizes the state of the art in the field...
- Methods for isolation of cell-free plasma DNA strongly affect DNA yieldMichael Fleischhacker
Charite, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Med Klinik m S Onkologie u Hämatologie, Mol Biol Labor, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Clin Chim Acta 412:2085-8. 2011..0001). Comparable results were achieved by the use of the genes GAPDH and ERV while higher values were obtained by use of ß-globin. The laboratory site had only minor influence on DNA yield when manual extraction methods were used...
- Detection of amplifiable messenger RNA in the serum of patients with lung cancerM Fleischhacker
Universitatsklinikum Charite, Medizinische Klinik II m S Hämatologie und Onkologie, Berlin, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 945:179-88. 2001..The hnRNP-B1 mRNA was detectable in 14/18 sera, and Her2/neu-specific mRNA could be amplified from the serum of 7/18 patients. Combining the last two markers, we were able to detect all patients with a malignant lung tumor...
- The 2nd International Symposium on Circulating Nucleic Acids in Plasma and Serum (CNAPS-2), Hong Kong, February 20-21, 2001M Fleischhacker
Universitatsklinikum Charite, Medizinische Klinik II m S Onkologie und Hämatologie, Schumannstr 20 21, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Med Res 6:364-8. 2001....
- Longitudinal genotyping of Candida dubliniensis isolates reveals strain maintenance, microevolution, and the emergence of itraconazole resistanceM Fleischhacker
Charitè Universitätsmedizin Berlin Medizinische Klinik m S Onkologie u Hämatologie, Mol Biol Labor, Alte Apotheke, CCM, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 48:1643-50. 2010..In addition, isolates may acquire itraconazole resistance, even in the absence of prior azole therapy...
- Circulating nucleic acids (CNAs) and cancer--a surveyM Fleischhacker
Charite, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Medizinische Klinik mS Onkologie u Hämatologie, CCM, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1775:181-232. 2007..At the RNA level the overexpression of tumor-associated genes was shown. These observations laid the foundation for the development of assays for an early detection of cancer as well as for other clinical means...
- Molecular genetic characteristics of lung cancer--useful as real' tumor markers?M Fleischhacker
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik mit Schwerpunkt Hämatologie und Onkologie, Universitatsklinikum Charite, Berlin, Germany
Lung Cancer 25:7-24. 1999..Some of the molecular genetic features of lung tumor cells are summarized and the possibilities to use these characteristics as new tumor markers are discussed...
- Tumour markers - new aspects of an old discussion?M Fleischhacker
Medizinische Klinik m S, Hämatologie und Onkologie, Charite, Campus Mitte, Schumannstr 20 21, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Med Res 4:144-8. 1999..Therefore, the development of more sensitive and specific tumor markers is urgently needed. In this review, the possibilities of using molecular genetic characteristics of cancer as specific and sensitive tumor markers are discussed...
- Increased levels of vascular endothelial growth factor in bronchoalveolar lavage of patients with bronchial carcinoma effect of tumour activity and oxidative stress due to radio-chemotherapy?T Beinert
Universitäts Klinikum Charité, Zentrum fur Innere Medizin, Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II, Schumannstrasse 20 21, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Med Res 4:328-34. 1999..We tested the hypothesis that VEGF is additionally affected by oxidative stress due to anticancer therapy. Moreover, the suitability of epidermal growth factor (EGF) to estimate tumour activity was studied...
- Detection of tumor-specific mRNA in cell-free bronchial lavage supernatant in patients with lung cancerE Engel
Medizinische Klinik II, Onkologie u Hämatologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1022:140-6. 2004..This may open new possibilities for the diagnosis of lung cancer...
- Oxidant-induced lung injury in anticancer therapyT Beinert
Med Klinik m S Hämatologie und Onkologie, Charite, Campus Mitte, Schumannstr 20 21, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Med Res 4:43-53. 1999..This review discusses mechanisms of ROS generation during radio-chemotherapy in the lung, antioxidant defense strategies and responses to oxidants, thereby assessing current diagnostic tools...
- Detection of cell-free nucleic acids in bronchial lavage fluid supernatants from patients with lung cancerB Schmidt
Division of Pneumology, University Hospital Charite, Schumannstr 20 21, D 10117, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Cancer 40:452-60. 2004..Altogether, tumour-associated changes were detected in DNA samples from 47% of the patients and in RNA samples from all of the patients analysed...
- Further evidence for oxidant-induced vascular endothelial growth factor up-regulation in the bronchoalveolar lavage fluid of lung cancer patients undergoing radio-chemotherapyT Beinert
Charite, Medizinische Klinik m S Onkologie und Hämatologie, Berlin, Germany
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 126:352-6. 2000..In this study we aimed to reveal whether this increase was due to the therapy-associated intrapulmonary oxidative burden...
- Meeting report - First international symposium on circulating nucleic acids in plasma/serum - Implications in cancer diagnostics, prognosis or follow up and in prenatal diagnosis - Menthon France, August 18-20, 1999M Fleischhacker
Universitatsklinikum Charite, Medizinische Klinik II, Onkologie und Hämatologie, Schumannstr 20 21, D 10117 Berlin, Germany Michael
Eur J Med Res 4:488-90. 1999....
- Diagnosis of chronic disseminated candidosis from liver biopsies by a novel PCR in patients with haematological malignanciesM Fleischhacker
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II, Charité Campus Mitte der Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Clin Microbiol Infect 18:1010-6. 2012..In conclusion, the novel LCD chip technique examined in our study was able to detect fungal pathogens in liver biopsies from patients with haematological malignancies and suspected HCI/CDC but was negative in control biopsies...
- Paradoxical growth effects of the echinocandins caspofungin and micafungin, but not of anidulafungin, on clinical isolates of Candida albicans and C. dubliniensisM Fleischhacker
Department of Internal Medicine, Div Oncology and Hematology, CharitÃ© UniversitÃ¤tsmedizin Berlin, CharitÃ© Campus Mitte, CharitÃ©platz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 27:127-31. 2008..To analyze the effects of a high concentration of three antifungal substances, the echinocandins anidulafungin, caspofungin, and micafungin, on the growth of Candida spp...
- Secretion of E,E-farnesol and biofilm formation in eight different Candida speciesK Weber
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Department of Medicine, Division of Oncology and Hematology, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:1859-61. 2008..FOH production differed significantly not only between Candida spp. but within Candida albicans strains as well. FOH concentrations and biofilm formation were the highest for C. albicans...
- Detection of cell-free DNA in bronchial lavage fluid supernatants of patients with lung cancerTim Carstensen
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Medizinische Klinik II, Pulmologie, Berlin, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1022:202-10. 2004..Their quantity and quality are sufficient for further amplification via polymerase chain reaction. Altogether, tumor-associated changes were detected in the DNA of 47% of the patients that were analyzed...
- Integrity of cell-free plasma DNA in patients with lung cancer and nonmalignant lung diseaseBernd Schmidt
Medizinische Klinik m S Infektiologie und Pneumologie, Pneumologie, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Berlin, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1137:207-13. 2008..Our results led us to conclude that this method is not useful in a diagnostic setting and is not able to differentiate between lung cancer patients and patients with a benign lung disease...
- An improved method for the isolation of free-circulating plasma DNA and cell-free DNA from other body fluidsChristoph Kirsch
MACHEREY NAGEL GmbH and Co KG, Duren, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1137:135-9. 2008..The procedure is fast and easy to standardize and might be valuable for laboratories working in the field of CNAPS...
- Cell-free DNA resuscitated for tumor testingMichael Fleischhacker
Nat Med 14:914-5. 2008
- TP53 gene in blood plasma DNA of tumor patientsHorst H Schlechte
Department of Urology, Charité Hospital of the Humboldt University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1022:61-9. 2004..Genetic analysis of plasma in tumor patients should be further developed, as it might be of prognostic value...
- Microsatellite alterations in free-circulating serum DNA in patients with ulcerative colitisPeter Rauh
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Medizinische Klinik m S Onkologie und Haematologie, Campus Charite Mitte, Berlin, Deutschland
Dig Dis 21:363-6. 2003....
- Changes in concentration of DNA in serum and plasma during storage of blood samplesMonika Jung
Clin Chem 49:1028-9. 2003
- Improved method for isolating cell-free DNABernd Schmidt
Clin Chem 51:1561-3. 2005