Affiliation: Humboldt University
- Novelties in diagnostics and therapy of antibody mediated rejectionDuska Dragun
Department of Nephrology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite Campus Virchow Clinic, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:viii50-viii53. 2007..The analysis of the subtle mechanistic and diagnostic differences among rejection subtypes will help to identify patients at particular risk and improve outcome of AMR...
- Humoral responses directed against non-human leukocyte antigens in solid-organ transplantationDuska Dragun
Department of Nephrology and Intensive Care Medicine, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Berlin, Germany
Transplantation 86:1019-25. 2008....
- A p38MAPK/MK2 signaling pathway leading to redox stress, cell death and ischemia/reperfusion injuryMuhammad Imtiaz Ashraf
Daniel Swarovski Research Laboratory, Department of Visceral, Transplant and Thoracic Surgery, Innsbruck Medical University IMU, Innrain 66, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Cell Commun Signal 12:6. 2014....
- Non-HLA antibodies in solid organ transplantation: recent concepts and clinical relevanceDuska Dragun
Clinic for Nephrology and Intensive Care Medicine Campus Virchow Klinikum and Center for Cardiovascular Research, Medical Faculty of the Charite, Berlin, Germany
Curr Opin Organ Transplant 18:430-5. 2013..A conceptual framework on the role of graft microenvironment during initiation of non-HLA-related humoral immunity is addressed as well...
- Sex-specific mTOR signaling determines sexual dimorphism in myocardial adaptation in normotensive DOCA-salt modelDennis Gürgen
Department of Nephrology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Hypertension 61:730-6. 2013..Maintenance of both mTORC1 and mTORC2 signaling seems to be essential for adaptive cardiac remodeling in females and supports a rationale for sex-specific therapeutic strategies in left ventricular hypertrophy...
- Non-HLA-antibodies targeting Angiotensin type 1 receptor and antibody mediated rejectionDuska Dragun
Clinic for Nephrology and Intensive Care Medicine, Campus Virchow Klinikum and Center for Cardiovascular Research, Medical Faculty of the Charite, Berlin, Germany
Hum Immunol 73:1282-6. 2012..This review summarizes the current state of research in AT(1)R biology, development in diagnostic strategies, discusses recent clinical studies, and provides perspectives on further refinements in understanding AT(1)R-Ab-actions...
- Role of non-HLA antibodies in organ transplantationDuska Dragun
Clinic for Nephrology and Intensive Care Medicine, Campus Virchow Klinikum and Center for Cardiovascular Research, Medical Faculty of the Charité Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Curr Opin Organ Transplant 17:440-5. 2012..We aimed to summarize the data on discovery of new antigenic targets, novel experimental findings, recent diagnostic developments, and introduction of new technologies in the field of non-HLA antigens in solid organ transplantation...
- Angiotensin II type 1-receptor activating antibodies in renal-allograft rejectionDuska Dragun
Department of Nephrology, Charite University Hospital, Berlin, Germany
N Engl J Med 352:558-69. 2005..Antibodies against HLA antigens cause refractory allograft rejection with vasculopathy in some, but not all, patients...
- Non-HLA antibodies post-transplantation: clinical relevance and treatment in solid organ transplantationDuska Dragun
Department of Nephrology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite Campus Virchow Clinic, Augustenburger Platz 1, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
Contrib Nephrol 162:129-39. 2009....
- Autoimmune mediated G-protein receptor activation in cardiovascular and renal pathologiesDuska Dragun
Department of Nephrology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite Campus Virchow Clinic, Berlin, Germany
Thromb Haemost 101:643-8. 2009..In terms of targets we will focus on the alpha-adrenergic receptor (alpha(1)AR), the beta-adrenergic receptor (beta(1)AR), and the angiotensin II type 1 receptor (AT(1)R)...
- Complement-ary matching: A definite maybeDuska Dragun
Department of Nephrology and Center for Cardiovascular Research, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:3371-3. 2006
- FTY720-induced lymphocyte homing modulates post-transplant preservation/reperfusion injuryDuska Dragun
Department of Nephrology, Medical Faculty of the Charité Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Kidney Int 65:1076-83. 2004..We tested whether or not single-dose FTY720 (0.5 mg/kg) pretreatment rescues renal grafts from post-transplant preservation/reperfusion injury...
- Patients with steroid refractory acute vascular rejection develop agonistic antibodies targeting angiotensin II type 1 receptorD Dragun
Department of Nephrology Medical Faculty of the Charité Campi Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Transplant Proc 35:2104-5. 2003
- Prolonged cold preservation augments vascular injury independent of renal transplant immunogenicity and functionD Dragun
, , Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Kidney Int 60:1173-81. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Because of the prominent vascular injury, strategies for endothelial protection should be attempted in grafts with long preservation times in clinical renal transplantation...
- FTY720: early clinical experienceD Dragun
University Hospital Charite, Department of Nephrology, Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Transplant Proc 36:544S-548S. 2004....
- Enteric-coated mycophenolate sodium: safe conversion from mycophenolate mofetil in maintenance renal transplant recipientsK Budde
University Hospital Charite, Berlin, Germany
Transplant Proc 36:524S-527S. 2004..5% vs MMF: 12.3%; P=ns). These data demonstrate that stable renal transplant recipients receiving MMF can be converted to EC-MPS with no efficacy or tolerability compromise...
- Differences in reporting of acute rejections between American and European publications of large immunosuppressive trials impair comparability of study resultsF Fleiner
Department of Nephrology, University Hospital Charite, Campus Mitte, Schumannstrasse 20 21, 10098 Berlin, Germany
Transplant Proc 37:2048-50. 2005..5% vs E: 26.5%). Our systematic review showed large discrepancies with a trend to report biopsy-proven rejection rates only in recent years...
- Novel signalling mechanisms and targets in renal ischaemia and reperfusion injuryA Kusch
Department of Nephrology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite Campus Virchow Klinikum, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Acta Physiol (Oxf) 208:25-40. 2013..We summarize recent in vitro and in vivo experimental studies using pharmacological and genomic targeting and highlight some of the challenges to clinical application of these advances...
- [Clinical risk-adapted therapies in systemic sclerosis]G Riemekasten
Medizinische Klinik mit Schwerpunkt Rheumatologie und Klinische Immunologie der CharitÃ© UniversitÃ¤tsmedizin, Centrum 12, CharitÃ© Campus Mitte, CharitÃ©platz 1, 10117, Berlin, Germany
Z Rheumatol 66:672-4, 676-8. 2007..The paper also highlights possible future treatment options, including vasoactive, cellular and immune suppressant treatments...
- Cytoprotective Actions of FTY720 Modulate Severe Preservation Reperfusion Injury in Rat Renal TransplantsT Florian Fuller
Department of Urology, Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Transplantation 89:402-8. 2010..The purpose of this study was to explore the role of FTY720 in ischemic injury and regeneration using a clinically relevant rat renal transplant model with 24 hr of cold ischemia...
- Effect of mycophenolate mofetil on rat kidney grafts with prolonged cold preservationT F Fuller
Department of Urology, Charité Universitaetsmedizin Berlin Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Kidney Int 70:570-7. 2006..In grafts with severe preservation injury (39 h c.s.), MMF caused irreversible structural damage and inhibited tubular cell regeneration resulting in renal failure...
- Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin: pathophysiology and clinical applicationsE Singer
Department of Nephrology, Campus Mitte, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Acta Physiol (Oxf) 207:663-72. 2013....
- Impact of cyclosporine on the development of immunosuppressive therapyL Fritsche
Department of Nephrology, Charite Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Transplant Proc 36:130S-134S. 2004..With other trials evaluating the impact of Neoral in combination with newer therapies such as Certican, myfortic, and FTY720, the use of CsA in transplant recipients looks set to continue...
- [Urological evaluation and follow-up of the kidney transplant patient]T F Fuller
Klinik für Urologie, Campus Mitte, Charite, Universitatsmedizin, Schumannstrasse 20 21, 10017 Berlin
Urologe A 45:53-9. 2006..For the evaluation and follow-up of the living kidney donor, international guidelines have been developed in recent years to also help the urologist to perform a correct evaluation and follow-up of the kidney donor...
- Laparoscopic versus open donor nephrectomy in Germany: impact on donor health-related quality of life and willingness to donateM Giessing
Department of Urology, Charité University Hospital CCM of Humboldt University Berlin, Schumannstrasse 20 21, D 10098 Berlin, Germany
Transplant Proc 37:2011-5. 2005..We therefore performed a study with two questionnaires (SF-36/GBB-24) and one set of open questions for all donors in our department...
- Accuracy of neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) in diagnosis and prognosis in acute kidney injury: a systematic review and meta-analysisMichael Haase
Department of Nephrology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite University Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Am J Kidney Dis 54:1012-24. 2009..Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) appears to be a promising biomarker for the early diagnosis of acute kidney injury (AKI); however, a wide range in its predictive value has been reported...
- A systematic approach to managing pregnant dialysis patients--the importance of an intensified haemodiafiltration protocolMichael Haase
Departments of Nephrology, Charité University Hospital CCM, Berlin, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:2537-42. 2005..Here, we report the successful multidisciplinary management of five consecutive pregnant dialysis patients...
- A comparison of the RIFLE and Acute Kidney Injury Network classifications for cardiac surgery-associated acute kidney injury: a prospective cohort studyMichael Haase
Department of Intensive Care, Austin Health, Melbourne, Australia
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 138:1370-6. 2009..In this study we compared these classifications with regard to (1) the detection of acute kidney injury, (2) their agreement according to the grading of acute kidney injury across classes, and (3) their prognostic value...
- Reports of large immunosuppression trials in kidney transplantation: room for improvementLutz Fritsche
Department Nephrology, Charite Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Am J Transplant 4:738-43. 2004..Additional efforts are required of investigators, editors and sponsors to achieve maximum study and reporting quality...
- Increased incidence of angioedema with ACE inhibitors in combination with mTOR inhibitors in kidney transplant recipientsMichael Duerr
Department of Nephrology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:703-8. 2010..Hereditary defects, drugs, and food allergies may play a role in the development of angioedema. We systematically investigated the incidence of angioedema in renal allograft recipients treated with mTOR inhibitors (mTORis)...
- Glutamine donor pretreatment in rat kidney transplants with severe preservation reperfusion injuryT Florian Fuller
Department of Urology, Charité University Hospital CCM, Berlin, Germany
J Surg Res 140:77-83. 2007..Glutamine (GLN) has been shown to confer cytoprotection by enhancing endogenous heat shock protein (HSP) expression. We hypothesized that GLN donor pretreatment protects rat renal grafts against severe preservation reperfusion injury (PRI)...
- Testosterone concentrations and sirolimus in male renal transplant patientsLutz Fritsche
Department of Nephrology, Charite Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Am J Transplant 4:130-1. 2004..In contrast, FSH and LH concentrations were higher while prolactin levels were not different. These data are consistent with sirolimus-related testosterone suppression and suggest a need for further studies...
- Review of the immunosuppressant enteric-coated mycophenolate sodiumKlemens Budde
Humboldt University, Department of Nephrology, Charite, Campus Charite Mitte, Schumannstrasse, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Expert Opin Pharmacother 5:1333-45. 2004..EC-MPS therefore presents physicians and patients with a valid alternative MPA therapy with a comparable efficacy and safety profile to MMF...
- FTY720 mediates apoptosis-independent lymphopenia in human renal allograft recipients: different effects on CD62L+ and CCR5+ T lymphocytesTorsten Bohler
Department of Nephrology, Charite, Campus Charite Mitte, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Transplantation 77:1424-32. 2004..This study was designed to study the effect of FTY on lymphocyte subpopulations and apoptosis in stable renal allograft recipients...
- Lectin-like oxidized low-density lipoprotein (LDL) receptor (LOX-1)-mediated pathway and vascular oxidative injury in older-age rat renal transplantsJan Hinrich Bräsen
HELIOS Klinikum Berlin, Franz Volhard Clinic at the Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Kidney Int 67:1583-94. 2005..Reactive oxygen species participate in aging and in chronic vascular disease. We investigated how mediators of oxidative stress may increase allograft susceptibility to vascular injury...
- Calprotectin and neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin in the differentiation of pre-renal and intrinsic acute kidney injuryF S Seibert
Department of Nephrology, Charite Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Acta Physiol (Oxf) 207:700-8. 2013..This study compares the diagnostic performance of calprotectin and neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) in this differential diagnosis...
- Decreased transplant arteriosclerosis in endothelial nitric oxide synthase-deficient miceHong Zebger-Gong
Department of Pediatric Nephrology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Berlin, Germany
Transplantation 89:518-26. 2010..We have studied the role of NOS in a murine model of aortic allograft rejection...
- Toll-like receptor-4 modulates survival by induction of left ventricular remodeling after myocardial infarction in miceAlexander Riad
Department of Cardiology and Pneumology, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
J Immunol 180:6954-61. 2008..0001). TLR4 deficiency led to improved survival after MI mediated by attenuated left ventricular remodeling...
- Deoxycorticosterone acetate-salt mice exhibit blood pressure-independent sexual dimorphismAysun Karatas
Department of Nephrology and Intensive Care, Medicine Campus, Virchow Klinikum, Berlin, Germany
Hypertension 51:1177-83. 2008..We suggest that sex-specific calcineurin activation determines the maladaptive cardiac and renal hypertrophic responses and accompanying organ injury in male mice...
- Estrogen receptor-beta signals left ventricular hypertrophy sex differences in normotensive deoxycorticosterone acetate-salt miceDennis Gürgen
Department of Nephrology and Intensive Care Medicine Campus Virchow Klinikum, Center forCardiovascular Research Medical Faculty, Charite Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Hypertension 57:648-54. 2011..Our findings address the possibility of sex-specific cardiovascular therapies...
- Involvement of functional autoantibodies against vascular receptors in systemic sclerosisGabriela Riemekasten
Department of Nephrology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charité University Hospital Campus Virchow Klinikum, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 70:530-6. 2011..The renin-angiotensin and endothelin systems have been implicated in vasculopathy and fibrosis. A role for autoantibody-mediated receptor stimulation is hypothesised, linking three major pathophysiological features consistent with SSc...
- Kidney transplantation into urinary conduits with ureteroureterostomy between transplant and native ureter: single-center experienceLyubov Chaykovska
Department of Urology, Charité University Hospital Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Urology 73:380-5. 2009..To evaluate the functional outcomes and complications after allogeneic kidney transplantation into recipients with a urinary conduit using ureteroureterostomy between the transplant and native ureter...
- mTOR regulates vascular smooth muscle cell differentiation from human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal progenitorsBjorn Hegner
Clinic for Nephrology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charité Campus Virchow Klinihum, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 29:232-8. 2009..We hypothesized that phosphoinositol-Akt-mammalian target of rapamycin-p70S6 kinase (PI3K/Akt/mTOR/p70S6K) pathway activation regulates VSMC differentiation from MSCs...
- Incidence and prediction of early antibody-mediated rejection due to non-human leukocyte antigen-antibodiesPatrizia Amico
Clinic for Transplantation Immunology and Nephrology, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Transplantation 85:1557-63. 2008..However, data on the incidence of early AMR due to non-HLA-DSA are currently lacking...
- Kidney-transplant rejection and anti-MICA antibodiesDuska Dragun
N Engl J Med 358:196; author reply 196. 2008
- T-lymphocyte infiltration in visceral adipose tissue: a primary event in adipose tissue inflammation and the development of obesity-mediated insulin resistanceUlrich Kintscher
Department of Internal Medicine II Cardiology, University of Ulm, Robert Koch Str 8, D 89081 Ulm, Germany
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28:1304-10. 2008..Adipose tissue inflammation may play a critical role in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance (IR). The present study examined the role of lymphocytes in adipose tissue inflammation and IR...
- Agonistic antibody-triggered stimulation of Angiotensin II type 1 receptor and renal allograft vascular pathologyDuska Dragun
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:1819-22. 2007
- The role of angiotensin II type 1 receptor-activating antibodies in renal allograft vascular rejectionDuska Dragun
Pediatr Nephrol 22:911-4. 2007..We have shown that the analysis of the subtle diagnostic and mechanistic differences may help to identify patients at particular risk and improve outcome of rejections with vascular pathology...
- Differential regulation of smooth muscle markers in human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cellsBjorn Hegner
Department of Medicine, Merheim Medical Center, Cologne General Hospital, Germany
J Hypertens 23:1191-202. 2005..To study smooth-muscle differentiation and de-differentiation of human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs), which have been shown to enter the circulation and to contribute to vascular repair and atherosclerosis...
- Genetic polymorphisms in sepsis- and cardiopulmonary bypass-associated acute kidney injuryAnja Haase-Fielitz
Department of Intensive Care, Austin Health, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Contrib Nephrol 156:75-91. 2007....
- Successful pregnancies in dialysis patients including those suffering from cystinosis and familial Mediterranean feverMichael Haase
Department of Nephrology, Charite University Medicine, Berlin Germany
J Nephrol 19:677-81. 2006..These modified management guidelines have led to a favourable outcome in all our patients including two patients with familial Mediterranean fever and with cystinosis, and may help to guide therapy in other pregnant dialysis patients...
- N-Acetylcysteine does not artifactually lower plasma creatinine concentrationMichael Haase
Director of Intensive Care Research, Austin Hospital, University of Melbourne, 3084 Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia
Nephrol Dial Transplant 23:1581-7. 2008..However, it has been suggested that NAC may lower plasma creatinine levels independent of any effects on glomerular filtration rate (GFR)...