Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Humboldt University
- Strategies for diagnosis and treatment of iatrogenic tracheal rupturesM Deja
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite, Berlin Medical University, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Campus Charite Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Minerva Anestesiol 77:1155-66. 2011..Our aim was to comprise a structured diagnostic and treatment protocol for patients suspicious of tracheal injury, including detailed principles of mechanical ventilation and specific indications for conservative or surgical treatment...
- Goal-directed therapy of cardiac preload in induced whole-body hyperthermiaMaria Deja
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Charite Medical Center, Campus Virchow Clinic, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Chest 128:580-6. 2005..To optimize volume therapy during induced whole-body hyperthermia (WBH) < or = 42.2 degrees C, pulmonary capillary wedge pressure (PCWP) and intrathoracic blood volume index (ITBVI) were compared as goal parameters...
- Social support during intensive care unit stay might improve mental impairment and consequently health-related quality of life in survivors of severe acute respiratory distress syndromeMaria Deja
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
Crit Care 10:R147. 2006..We wished to evaluate the influence of PTSD on HRQoL and to investigate the influence of perceived social support during intensive care unit (ICU) treatment on both PTSD symptoms and HRQoL...
- [Strategies in the treatment of infections with antibiotics in intensive care medicine]Maria Deja
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie und Operative Intensivmedizin, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 42:108-15. 2007..The aim of this educational article is to portray a selection of the pre-requisites and strategies available in the treatment of infections with antibiotics in intensive care medicine...
- Evidence-based therapy of severe acute respiratory distress syndrome: an algorithm-guided approachM Deja
Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum and Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
J Int Med Res 36:211-21. 2008..This review summarizes the current evidence base and proposes a new treatment algorithm that aims to prioritize the administration of advanced strategies in a multimodal approach for ARDS...
- [Epidemiology and Pathophysiology of the acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)]Maria Deja
Klinik für Anästhesiologie mit Schwerpunkt operative Intensivmedizin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 43:758-66; quiz 768. 2008..Furthermore, we try to elucidate possible reasons for considerable limitations of multicentric studies in this field...
- Changes in hepatic blood flow during whole body hyperthermiaMaria Deja
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany
Int J Hyperthermia 26:95-100. 2010..The aim of this clinical study was to determine changes in hepatic blood flow during WBH for the treatment of metastatic cancer...
- Critical illness myopathy is frequent: accompanying neuropathy protracts ICU dischargeSusanne Koch
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum and Campus Mitte, Augustenburger Platz 1, Berlin D 13353, Germany
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 82:287-93. 2011..However, it is unknown whether differential diagnosis has an impact on prognosis. This study investigates whether there is an association between the early differentiation of CIM versus CIP and clinical prognosis...
- Endothelin-1 influences the efficacy of inhaled nitric oxide in experimental acute lung injuryThilo Busch
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charit, Campus Virchow-Klinikum, University Medical Center, Berlin, Germany
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 231:974-8. 2006..548, P = 0.001). Our data suggest that endogenous ET-1 production influences the efficacy of iNO in ALI. Furthermore, iNO reduced ET-1 plasma levels, possibly indicating anti-inflammatory properties of iNO in the early phase of ALI...
- Inhalation of an endothelin receptor A antagonist attenuates pulmonary inflammation in experimental acute lung injuryPhilipp Kalk
Center for Cardiovascular Research, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Charite, Campus Mitte, Hessische Str 3 4, Berlin, Germany
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 86:511-5. 2008..In conclusion, we demonstrated that inhalation of LU 135252 not only improves mortality and gas exchange, but also blunts the local immune response in experimental ALI...
- Low-dose inhalation of an endothelin-A receptor antagonist in experimental acute lung injury: ET-1 plasma concentration and pulmonary inflammationBernd Donaubauer
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite, Campus Virchow-Klinikum, University Medical Center, Berlin, Germany
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 231:960-6. 2006..Furthermore, our data indicate a trend toward decreased pulmonary inflammation in the group receiving the inhaled ET(A) receptor antagonist...
- Inhalation of the endothelin-A receptor antagonist LU-135252 at various doses in experimental acute lung injuryMaria Deja
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Medical Center, Berlin, Germany
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 44:S151-5. 2004....
- Risk factors in critical illness myopathy during the early course of critical illness: a prospective observational studySteffen Weber-Carstens
Clinic of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite University Medicine, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Crit Care 14:R119. 2010..Non-excitable muscle membrane indicates critical illness myopathy (CIM) during early critical illness. We investigated predisposing risk factors for non-excitable muscle membrane at onset of critical illness...
- Impact of adherence to standard operating procedures for pneumonia on outcome of intensive care unit patientsIrit Nachtigall
Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Campus Charite Mitte, Germany
Crit Care Med 37:159-66. 2009..Pneumonia accounts for almost half of intensive care unit (ICU) infections and nearly 60% of deaths from nosocomial infections. It increases hospital stay by 7-9 days, crude mortality by 70% and attributable mortality by 30%...
- Stress induced changes in lymphocyte subpopulations and associated cytokines during whole body hyperthermia of 41.8-42.2 degrees COlaf Ahlers
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie und Operative Intensivmedizin, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, 13344, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Appl Physiol 95:298-306. 2005..Further studies are necessary to examine the pathophysiological details and to evaluate the meaning of these transient immunological changes for patient's outcome...
- Critical illness polyneuropathy and myopathy in patients with acute respiratory distress syndromeSven Bercker
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charit, Campus Virchow-Klinikum, University Medical Center, Berlin, Germany
Crit Care Med 33:711-5. 2005..However, since this is a retrospective survey, a causal relation is not clearly supported. In this study, the use of early electrophysiologic testing in ARDS patients was a valuable diagnostic tool for detecting CIP/CIM...
- Hypercapnia in late-phase ALI/ARDS: providing spontaneous breathing using pumpless extracorporeal lung assistSteffen Weber-Carstens
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Intensive Care Med 35:1100-5. 2009....
- Impact of bolus application of low-dose hydrocortisone on glycemic control in septic shock patientsSteffen Weber-Carstens
Clinic of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite, Campus Virchow Klinikum and Campus Mitte, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353, Berlin, Germany
Intensive Care Med 33:730-3. 2007..To determine whether glycemic control is less feasible when hydrocortisone is given as a bolus compared with continuous application in septic shock patients...
- Selective pulmonary vasodilation in acute respiratory distress syndromeUdo Kaisers
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charite, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Humboldt University Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Crit Care Med 31:S337-42. 2003..Cost-benefit analysis of these therapeutic options will largely determine their future perspective...
- Nonexcitable muscle membrane predicts intensive care unit-acquired paresis in mechanically ventilated, sedated patientsSteffen Weber-Carstens
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine SW C, SK, CDS, FB, MD, Campus Virchow Klinikum and Campus Charite Mitte, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Crit Care Med 37:2632-7. 2009..To investigate the predictive value of electrophysiological measurements including validation of muscle membrane excitability on the development of intensive care unit (ICU)-aquired paresis...
- The inhaled ET(A) receptor antagonist LU-135252 acts as a selective pulmonary vasodilatorMaria Deja
, Campus Virchow-Klinikum, , Augustenburger Platz 1, D-13353 Berlin, Germany
Clin Sci (Lond) 103:21S-24S. 2002..Our results indicate the occurrence of selective pulmonary vasodilation in both treatment groups...
- [Standards, guidelines and recommendations for antibiotic therapy]Claudia D Spies
, , Germany
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 42:106-7. 2007
- Anaesthesiological experiences with whole body hyperthermiaT Kerner
Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Charite Medical Center, Virchow Hospital, Humboldt University, D 13344 Berlin, Germany
Int J Hyperthermia 19:1-12. 2003....
- Monitoring arterial blood pressure during whole body hyperthermiaT Kerner
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Charite Medical Center, Virchow Hospital, Humboldt University, Berlin
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 46:561-6. 2002..This investigation was performed to evaluate the agreement of invasive measurements at various sites, and to compare invasive and non-invasive methods of ABP monitoring under conditions of a heat-induced extreme vasodilation...
- Whole-body hyperthermia in the scope of von Ardenne's systemic cancer multistep therapy (sCMT) combined with chemotherapy in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer: a phase I/II studyB Hildebrandt
Medizinische Klinik für Hämatologie und Onkologie, Universitätklinikum Charité, Berlin, Germany
Int J Hyperthermia 20:317-33. 2004..The fact that three patients who did not respond to initial chemotherapy achieved a PR after additional sCMT suggests that sCMT may enhance the effect of chemotherapy in patients with colorectal cancer...
- [Multiorgan failure due to chronic granulomatous disease]A Rüggeberg
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie und Operative Intensivmedizin, Universitatsklinikum Charite, Campus Virchow Klinikum Berlin, Germany
Anaesthesist 51:731-4. 2002..This case report describes the typical problems of patients with a congenital immunodeficiency who grow out of the care of highly specialised pediatric-immunological departments...
- Feasibility and analysis of thermal parameters for the whole-body-hyperthermia system IRATHERM-2000P Wust
Department of Radiation Medicine, Charite Medical Center, Berlin, Germany
Int J Hyperthermia 16:325-39. 2000..In the authors' opinion, improved understanding of the mechanisms and crucial parameters underlying whole body hyperthermia, will enable a controllable and tolerable therapy through proficient contribution to equipment and methods...
- Experimental high-volume hemofiltration with predilutional tris-hydroxymethylaminomethane for correction of low tidal volume ventilation-induced acidosisMartin Russ
Department of Experimental Medicine FEM, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow, Germany
Artif Organs 35:E108-18. 2011..In conclusion, predilutional THAM-application and HVHF corrected the acid-base disorder and improved pulmonary hemodynamics. Further studies are necessary to optimize the protocol including the dosage...
- Reduced nitric oxide in sinus epithelium of patients with radiologic maxillary sinusitis and sepsisMaria Deja
Department of Anesthesiology and Intemsive Care Medicine, , Berlin, Germany
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168:281-6. 2003....
- Regional hyperthermia of the abdomen in conjunction with chemotherapy for peritoneal carcinomatosis: evaluation of two annular-phased-array applicatorsC H Cho
Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Clinic for Radiotherapy, Berlin, Germany
Int J Hyperthermia 24:399-408. 2008..In this phase I/II study, we evaluated regional hyperthermia of the pelvis and abdomen using the annular-phased-array technique as an adjunct to chemotherapy...
- Computed tomography findings from patients with ARDS due to Influenza A (H1N1) virus-associated pneumoniaChristian Grieser
Klinik fur Strahlenheilkunde, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany
Eur J Radiol 81:389-94. 2012....
- Gastrointestinal zygomycosis caused by Mucor indicus in a patient with acute traumatic brain injuryMaria Deja
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Charit, Campus Virchow-Klinikum, , Berlin, Germany
Med Mycol 44:683-7. 2006..Reviewing other reports on Mucor indicus infections, primary gastrointestinal manifestations seem to be typical and indicate an oral route of infection...
- Small dose of exogenous surfactant combined with partial liquid ventilation in experimental acute lung injury: effects on gas exchange, haemodynamics, lung mechanics, and lung pathologyS Wolf
, , Medizinische Fakultaet der Humboldt-Universitaet, Berlin, Germany
Br J Anaesth 87:593-601. 2001....
- [Computed tomographic criteria as expected effect to inhaled nitric oxide in patients with severe acute respiratory distress syndrome]R Röttgen
Klinik fur Strahlenheilkunde, Charite, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin
Rofo 177:805-11. 2005..For unknown reason, a subset of ARDS patients does not respond favorably to iNO therapy. We hypothesized that radiological manifestation of lung injury may be related to iNO response...
- Bronchial fistulae in ARDS patients: management with an extracorporeal lung assist deviceM Hommel
Dept of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Campus Virchow Klinikum and Campus Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Eur Respir J 32:1652-5. 2008..Initiation of a pumpless extracorporeal lung assist device enabled a less invasive ventilator management, which may have contributed to healing of surgical bronchial repair...
- "Ideal PEEP" is superior to high dose partial liquid ventilation with low PEEP in experimental acute lung injuryS Wolf
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, , Germany
Intensive Care Med 27:1937-48. 2001..In terms of lung damage, the treatment in the (ideal) PEEP group resulted in the lowest total lung injury scores...
- [An appendix on the strategies for the prescription of antibiotics in intensive care: standards for microbiological diagnostics]Maria Deja
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 42:108-10. 2007
- Inhalation of the ETA receptor antagonist LU-135252 selectively attenuates hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstrictionBodil Petersen
Klinik und Poliklinik fuer Anaesthesiologie und Intensivtherapie, Universitaetsklinikum Leipzig, Liebigstrasse 20, Leipzig, Germany
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R601-5. 2008..Consequently, in our experimental model of HPV, the inhaled ET(A) receptor antagonist LU-135252 induced selective pulmonary vasodilation without adverse systemic hemodynamic effects...
- Inhaled nitric oxide in acute lung injuryUdo Kaisers
JAMA 292:327; author reply 327-8. 2004
- [Implementation of standard operating procedures for the initial empirical antimicrobial therapy for adults--a new computer program at the University Hospital CharitÃ©]Irit Nachtigall
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 41:626-35. 2006..The authors developed algorithms and generated a user friendly computer program available for all ICU physicians all the time...
- Pumpless extracorporeal lung assist in patients with acute respiratory distress syndromeSven Bercker
Crit Care Med 35:326; author reply 326. 2007