Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Heinrich Heine University
- Spontaneous obesity-linked type 2 diabetes in the absence of islet amyloid in a cynomolgus monkey infected with bovine spongiform encephalopathyA Strom
Institute for Clinical Diabetology, German Diabetes Center, Auf m Hennekamp 65, D 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany email
Vet Pathol 50:909-13. 2013..This unusual case of spontaneous T2D in the absence of islet amyloid deposits could have been due to early prion spread from the periphery to the endocrine system or could have occurred spontaneously. ..
- Cellular interferon-γ and interleukin-13 immune reactivity in type 1, type 2 and latent autoimmune diabetes: action LADA 6Alexander Strom
Institute for Clinical Diabetology, German Diabetes Center at Heinrich Heine University, Leibniz Institute for Diabetes Research, Dusseldorf, Germany
Cytokine 58:148-51. 2012..This study aimed to compare the pro-inflammatory (interferon-γ, IFN-γ) and anti-inflammatory (interleukin-13, IL-13) T-cell responses in humans with LADA and type 1 diabetes...
- Improved preservation of residual beta cell function by atorvastatin in patients with recent onset type 1 diabetes and high CRP levels (DIATOR trial)Alexander Strom
Institute for Clinical Diabetology, Leibniz Center for Diabetes Research at Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e33108. 2012..Aim of this secondary analysis was to identify patient subgroups which differ in the decline of beta cell function during treatment with atorvastatin...
- Cellular prion protein localizes to the nucleus of endocrine and neuronal cells and interacts with structural chromatin componentsAlexander Strom
Chronic Disease Program, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Eur J Cell Biol 90:414-9. 2011..This study reveals new avenues for the elucidation of the physiological function of PrP(C) in endocrine and neuronal cells as well as the molecular mechanisms leading to prion diseases...
- Impaired glucose tolerance in mice lacking cellular prion proteinAlexander Strom
Chronic Disease Program, Institute for Clinical Diabetology, German Diabetes Centre, Du sseldorf, Germany
Pancreas 40:229-32. 2011..To further characterize the function of PrPC in glucose homeostasis, we studied glucoregulation in PrPC knockout (PrPC KO) mice...
- Pronounced cytosolic aggregation of cellular prion protein in pancreatic beta-cells in response to hyperglycemiaAlexander Strom
Molecular Medicine, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Lab Invest 87:139-49. 2007..These data suggest a potential dysfunction in beta-cells of diabetes-prone rats, and point to new avenues for the study of diabetes pathogenesis...
- Antibodies from a patient with type 1 diabetes and celiac disease bind to macrophages that express the scavenger receptor CD163Brigitte Sonier
Chronic Disease Program, Ottowa Hospital Research Institute, Ottowa, Ontario
Can J Gastroenterol 25:327-9. 2011..The novel finding of putative autoantibodies against tolerogenic intestinal CD163⁺ macrophages suggests that regulatory macrophages were targeted in this patient with celiac disease and T1D...
- Epigenetics: deciphering how environmental factors may modify autoimmune type 1 diabetesAmanda J MacFarlane
Nutrition Research Division, Food Directorate, Health Products and Food Branch, Health Canada, Ottawa, ON K1A0K9, Canada
Mamm Genome 20:624-32. 2009..Here we speculate on various candidate processes and molecules of the immune and endocrine systems that could modify risk for T1D through epigenetic regulation...
- Peripherin-reactive antibodies in mouse, rabbit, and human bloodAlexander Strom
Chronic Disease Program, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Proteome Res 9:1203-8. 2010..These findings point to the need for a re-evaluation of PRPH as a T1D autoantigen in NOD mice and raise the question of the physiological relevance of such widespread immune reactivity against this peripheral nervous system protein...
- Foodborne transmission of bovine spongiform encephalopathy to non-human primates results in preclinical rapid-onset obesityAlexander Strom
Institute for Clinical Diabetology, German Diabetes Center, Leibniz Center for Diabetes Research, Dusseldorf, Germany
PLoS ONE 9:e104343. 2014..To our knowledge, this is the first experimental model which clearly demonstrates that foodborne pathogens can induce obesity. ..
- Differential Patterns and Determinants of Cardiac Autonomic Nerve Dysfunction during Endotoxemia and Oral Fat Load in HumansDan Ziegler
Institute for Clinical Diabetology, German Diabetes Center at Heinrich Heine University, Leibniz Center for Diabetes Research, Dusseldorf, Germany Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology, University Hospital, Dusseldorf, Germany German Center for Diabetes Research DZD, Partner Düsseldorf, Dusseldorf, Germany
PLoS ONE 10:e0124242. 2015..ClinicalTrials.gov NCT01054989...
- Early detection of nerve fiber loss by corneal confocal microscopy and skin biopsy in recently diagnosed type 2 diabetesDan Ziegler
Institute for Clinical Diabetology, German Diabetes Center at Heinrich Heine University, Leibniz Center for Diabetes Research, Dusseldorf, GermanyDepartment of Endocrinology and Diabetology, University Hospital, Dusseldorf, Germany
Diabetes 63:2454-63. 2014..Concomitant NCS impairment points to an early parallel involvement of small and large fibers, but the precise temporal sequence should be clarified in prospective studies. ..
- Increased prevalence of cardiac autonomic dysfunction at different degrees of glucose intolerance in the general population: the KORA S4 surveyDan Ziegler
Institute for Clinical Diabetology, German Diabetes Center at Heinrich Heine University, Auf m Hennekamp 65, 40225, Dusseldorf, Germany
Diabetologia 58:1118-28. 2015..We aimed to determine the prevalence of, risk factors for and impact of CAND in glucose intolerance and diabetes...
- Pronounced reduction of cutaneous Langerhans cell density in recently diagnosed type 2 diabetesAlexander Strom
Institute for Clinical Diabetology, German Diabetes Center at Heinrich Heine University, Leibniz Center for Diabetes Research, Dusseldorf, Germany
Diabetes 63:1148-53. 2014....
- Dietary proteins as environmental modifiers of type 1 diabetes mellitusDavid E Lefebvre
Molecular Medicine, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, K1H 8L6, Canada
Annu Rev Nutr 26:175-202. 2006..The key to diabetes pathogenesis, its prevention, and the ultimate success of beta-cell replacement therapies lies in understanding how the environment controls disease expression. Dietary proteins could be one of these keys...
- Identification of prion protein binding proteins by combined use of far-Western immunoblotting, two dimensional gel electrophoresis and mass spectrometryAlexander Strom
Molecular Medicine, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Lab N1, Box 221, 501 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L6, Canada
Proteomics 6:26-34. 2006..Especially the application of this technique to investigate other neurodegenerative diseases is promising...