Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Heinrich Heine University
- Cellular interferon-γ and interleukin-13 immune reactivity in type 1, type 2 and latent autoimmune diabetes: action LADA 6Alexander Strom
Institute for Clinical Diabetology, German Diabetes Center at Heinrich Heine University, Leibniz Institute for Diabetes Research, Dusseldorf, Germany
Cytokine 58:148-51. 2012..This study aimed to compare the pro-inflammatory (interferon-γ, IFN-γ) and anti-inflammatory (interleukin-13, IL-13) T-cell responses in humans with LADA and type 1 diabetes...
- Improved preservation of residual beta cell function by atorvastatin in patients with recent onset type 1 diabetes and high CRP levels (DIATOR trial)Alexander Strom
Institute for Clinical Diabetology, Leibniz Center for Diabetes Research at Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e33108. 2012..Aim of this secondary analysis was to identify patient subgroups which differ in the decline of beta cell function during treatment with atorvastatin...
- Cellular prion protein localizes to the nucleus of endocrine and neuronal cells and interacts with structural chromatin componentsAlexander Strom
Chronic Disease Program, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Eur J Cell Biol 90:414-9. 2011..This study reveals new avenues for the elucidation of the physiological function of PrP(C) in endocrine and neuronal cells as well as the molecular mechanisms leading to prion diseases...
- Pronounced cytosolic aggregation of cellular prion protein in pancreatic beta-cells in response to hyperglycemiaAlexander Strom
Molecular Medicine, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Lab Invest 87:139-49. 2007..These data suggest a potential dysfunction in beta-cells of diabetes-prone rats, and point to new avenues for the study of diabetes pathogenesis...
- Impaired glucose tolerance in mice lacking cellular prion proteinAlexander Strom
Chronic Disease Program, Institute for Clinical Diabetology, German Diabetes Centre, Du sseldorf, Germany
Pancreas 40:229-32. 2011..To further characterize the function of PrPC in glucose homeostasis, we studied glucoregulation in PrPC knockout (PrPC KO) mice...
- Antibodies from a patient with type 1 diabetes and celiac disease bind to macrophages that express the scavenger receptor CD163Brigitte Sonier
Chronic Disease Program, Ottowa Hospital Research Institute, Ottowa, Ontario
Can J Gastroenterol 25:327-9. 2011..The novel finding of putative autoantibodies against tolerogenic intestinal CD163⁺ macrophages suggests that regulatory macrophages were targeted in this patient with celiac disease and T1D...
- Epigenetics: deciphering how environmental factors may modify autoimmune type 1 diabetesAmanda J MacFarlane
Nutrition Research Division, Food Directorate, Health Products and Food Branch, Health Canada, Ottawa, ON K1A0K9, Canada
Mamm Genome 20:624-32. 2009..Here we speculate on various candidate processes and molecules of the immune and endocrine systems that could modify risk for T1D through epigenetic regulation...
- Peripherin-reactive antibodies in mouse, rabbit, and human bloodAlexander Strom
Chronic Disease Program, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Proteome Res 9:1203-8. 2010..These findings point to the need for a re-evaluation of PRPH as a T1D autoantigen in NOD mice and raise the question of the physiological relevance of such widespread immune reactivity against this peripheral nervous system protein...
- Dietary proteins as environmental modifiers of type 1 diabetes mellitusDavid E Lefebvre
Molecular Medicine, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, K1H 8L6, Canada
Annu Rev Nutr 26:175-202. 2006..The key to diabetes pathogenesis, its prevention, and the ultimate success of beta-cell replacement therapies lies in understanding how the environment controls disease expression. Dietary proteins could be one of these keys...
- Identification of prion protein binding proteins by combined use of far-Western immunoblotting, two dimensional gel electrophoresis and mass spectrometryAlexander Strom
Molecular Medicine, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Lab N1, Box 221, 501 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L6, Canada
Proteomics 6:26-34. 2006..Especially the application of this technique to investigate other neurodegenerative diseases is promising...