Affiliation: Heinrich Heine University
- Histopathology of the gastroesophageal junction: a study on 36 operation specimensMario Sarbia
Deparment of Pathology, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Am J Surg Pathol 26:1207-12. 2002..Because of the short length and incomplete circumferential extension of CM/OCM, future endoscopic-bioptic investigations will probably have to be based on more extensive sampling of the gastroesophageal junction...
- Expression of Bcl-2 and amplification of c-myc are frequent in basaloid squamous cell carcinomas of the esophagusM Sarbia
Institute of Pathology, University of Dusseldorf, Düsseldorf University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Am J Pathol 155:1027-32. 1999..0001). Taken together, our findings indicate that the molecular pathogenesis of esophageal BSCC differs from that of typical SCC and frequently involves coactivation of c-myc and Bcl-2...
- Expression of the RB protein, allelic imbalance of the RB gene and amplification of the CDK4 gene in metaplasias, dysplasias and carcinomas in Barrett's oesophagusM Sarbia
Department of Pathology, University of Dusseldorf, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Anticancer Res 21:387-92. 2001..Immunohistochemically determined loss of pRb protein expression may indicate LOH of the RB gene. CDK4 gene amplification does not seem to play a role in the development of oesophageal adenocarcinoma...
- Frequent c-myc amplification in high-grade dysplasia and adenocarcinoma in Barrett esophagusM Sarbia
Department of Pathology, , , Germany
Am J Clin Pathol 115:835-40. 2001..Furthermore, determination of c-myc amplification may help identify high-risk patients who would benefit from intensified endoscopic surveillance or from immediate treatment...
- Expense and benefit of neoadjuvant treatment in squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagusJ W Heise
Department of General and Trauma Surgery, Heinrich Heine University, Moorenstrasse 5 40225, Duesseldorf, Germany
BMC Cancer 1:20. 2001..Facing considerable financial expenses and with concerns regarding the consumption of the patient's remaining survival time, this study aims to provide rationales for pretreating resection candidates...
- Comparative analysis of basaloid and typical squamous cell carcinoma of the oesophagus: a molecular biological and immunohistochemical studyT Owonikoko
Institute of Pathology, Heinrich-Heine-University, , Germany
J Pathol 193:155-61. 2001..Although the observed differences did not achieve statistical significance, this work has further highlighted possible differences between the molecular pathogenesis of BSCC and SCC...
- Allelic loss involving the tumor suppressor genes APC and MCC and expression of the APC protein in the development of dysplasia and carcinoma in Barrett esophagusN Bektas
Dept of Pathology, Heinrich Heine University, Moorenstrasse 5, , Germany
Am J Clin Pathol 114:890-5. 2000..The determination of alterations at APC or MCC would be of limited importance for the surveillance of patients with Barrett esophagus...
- The prognostic significance of tumour cell proliferation in squamous cell carcinomas of the oesophagusM Sarbia
Department of Pathology, , Germany
Br J Cancer 74:1012-6. 1996..0256), but not the MIB-1 index, could be verified as independent prognostic variables. In conclusion, evaluation of the MIB-1 index does not provide prognostic information for oesophageal cancer patients...
- The prognostic significance of proliferative activity, apoptosis and expression of DNA topoisomerase II alpha in multimodally-treated oesophageal squamous cell carcinomaM Rees
Department of Pathology, University of Duesseldorf, Germany
Anticancer Res 21:3637-42. 2001..Pre-therapeutic determination of topo II alpha expression may predict chemosensitivity of oesophageal squamous cell carcinomas. However, determination of proliferative activity and apoptotic index has no predictive value...
- Parathyroid carcinoma: problems in diagnosis and the need for radical surgery even in recurrent diseaseC Dotzenrath
Department of Surgery, Heinrich Heine University Dusseldorf, Dusseldorf, Germany
Eur J Surg Oncol 27:383-9. 2001..From 1986 to 1999 we operated on 963 patients with primary hyperparathyroidism (pHPT)...
- Visceral leishmaniasis presenting as subcutaneous nodules in a HIV-positive patientK Göbels
Klinik fur Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Infektiologie, Universitatsklinikum Dusseldorf, Moorenstrasse 5, 40225, Dusseldorf, Germany
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 22:329-31. 2003
- The predictive value of molecular markers (p53, EGFR, ATM, CHK2) in multimodally treated squamous cell carcinoma of the oesophagusM Sarbia
Department of Pathology, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Br J Cancer 97:1404-8. 2007..In conclusion, expression analysis of p53, EGFR CHK2 and ATM has no predictive value in multimodally treated oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma...
- Chromophilic renal cell carcinoma: cytomorphological and cytogenetic characterisation of four permanent cell linesC D Gerharz
Institute of Pathology, Heinrich Heine University, , Germany
Br J Cancer 74:1605-14. 1996..Karyological aberrations were least pronounced in chromphi-2 and most complex in chromphi-1. Chromosomal aberrations typically affecting the short arm of chromosome 3 in clear cell RCCs were not observed in any of our cell lines...
- CT appearance of a renal aspergilloma in a patient with the acquired immunodeficiency syndromeL W Poll
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Urol Int 62:110-3. 1999..This case report emphasizes the fact that renal fungal infections need to be considered in differential diagnosis of kidney infections in AIDS patients...
- The prognostic significance of genetic polymorphisms (Methylenetetrahydrofolate Reductase C677T, Methionine Synthase A2756G, Thymidilate Synthase tandem repeat polymorphism) in multimodally treated oesophageal squamous cell carcinomaM Sarbia
Department of Pathology, Technical University of Munich, Institut für Allgemeine Pathologie, Trogerstr 28, Munich D 81675, Germany
Br J Cancer 94:203-7. 2006..Determination of MTHFR C677T and TS tandem repeat polymorphism has no predictive value...
- Polymorphisms in methionine synthase (A2756G) and cystathionine beta-synthase (844ins68) and susceptibility to carcinomas of the upper gastrointestinal tractN Ott
Department of Pathology, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin, Warener Strasse 7, 12683 Berlin, Germany
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 134:405-10. 2008..The purpose of this study is to compare the association of the MTR A2756G polymorphism and CBS insertion polymorphism with susceptibility to carcinomas of the upper gastrointestinal tract...
- Association of pretherapeutic expression of chemotherapy-related genes with response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in Barrett carcinomaRupert Langer
Institute of Pathology and Medical Statistics, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Clin Cancer Res 11:7462-9. 2005..We analyzed pretherapeutic gene expression patterns of patients with locally advanced adenocarcinomas of the esophagus with regard to response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy...
- Early esophageal cancer: pattern of lymphatic spread and prognostic factors for long-term survival after surgical resectionHubert J Stein
Department of Surgery, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munchen, Germany
Ann Surg 242:566-73; discussion 573-5. 2005..The objective of this study was to assess the prevalence and pattern of lymphatic spread in patients with early squamous cell and adenocarcinoma and identify prognostic factors for long-term survival after resection and lymphadenectomy...
- Coexpression of cyclooxygenases (COX-1, COX-2) and vascular endothelial growth factors (VEGF-A, VEGF-C) in esophageal adenocarcinomaBurkhard H A von Rahden
Department of Surgery, Technical University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Cancer Res 65:5038-44. 2005....
- Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase C677T polymorphism and risk of adenocarcinoma of the upper gastrointestinal tractMario Sarbia
Institute of Pathology, Technical University, Munich, Germany
Scand J Gastroenterol 40:109-11. 2005
- C609T polymorphism of the NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase I gene does not significantly affect susceptibility for esophageal adenocarcinomaBurkhard H A von Rahden
Int J Cancer 113:506-8. 2005
- Combined analysis of Rac1, IQGAP1, Tiam1 and E-cadherin expression in gastric cancerAxel Walch
Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt GmbH, Institut fur Pathologie, Neuherberg, Germany
Mod Pathol 21:544-52. 2008..These results indicate that the investigated regulators of E-cadherin-mediated cell adhesion play a role in gastric carcinogenesis...
- Methylation of RAS association domain family protein 1A as a biomarker of lung cancerHans Juergen Grote
Institute of Cytopathology, Heinrich Heine University, Duesseldorf, Germany
Cancer 108:129-34. 2006....
- The histological appearance of oesophageal adenocarcinoma--an analysis based on 215 resection specimensMario Sarbia
Institute of Pathology, Sana Klinikum Lichtenberg Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin, Fanningerstr 32 Warenerstr 7, 10365, Berlin, Germany
Virchows Arch 448:532-8. 2006..However, the relative proportion of differentiated, gland-forming carcinomas is significantly more frequent in the oesophagus than in the cardia and in the stomach...
- Lack of prognostic impact of p53 gene mutation and p53 phosphorylation at serine 15 in multimodally treated adenocarcinomas of the gastroesophageal junctionFranziska Pühringer-Oppermann
Institute of Pathology, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technical University of Munich, 81675 Munich, Germany
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 132:433-8. 2006..As p53 protein phosphorylation at serine 15 indicates stabilization and protection against mdm-2 the presence of this phosphorylation state was subsequently evaluated...
- Esophageal squamous cell carcinoma with entirely intramural growth patternBurkhard H A von Rahden
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Salzburg, Paracelsus Medical University, Salzburg, Austria
Virchows Arch 448:862-6. 2006..Surgical exploration must be considered under these circumstances...
- The clinical impact of histopathologic response assessment by residual tumor cell quantification in esophageal squamous cell carcinomasBjörn L D M Brücher
Department of Surgery, Technical University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Cancer 106:2119-27. 2006..g., postoperative morbidity and mortality, recurrence, and survival) in patients with locally advanced esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC)...
- Hypermethylation of hMLH1, HPP1, p14(ARF), p16(INK4A) and APC in primary adenocarcinomas of the small bowelBjörn L D M Brücher
Department of Surgery, Technical University of Munich, Ismaninger Strasse 22, D 81675 Munich, Germany
Int J Cancer 119:1298-302. 2006..The differences in the hypermethylation spectrum of small bowel and stomach cancer indicate significant epigenetic differences between these tumors...
- Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase C677T polymorphism and predisposition towards esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in a German Caucasian and a northern Chinese populationJianhui Zhang
Institute of Pathology, University of Dusseldorf, Germany
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 130:574-80. 2004..The purpose of this study is to compare the association of the MTHFR C677T polymorphism with susceptibility to esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC)...
- Pathology of upper gastrointestinal malignanciesMario Sarbia
Institute of Pathology, Technische Universitat Munchen, Germany
Semin Oncol 31:465-75. 2004..Finally, somatic genetic and epigenetic changes, which are associated with tumor development in the upper GI tract, are discussed...
- Association of cyclin D1 (G870A) polymorphism with susceptibility to esophageal and gastric cardiac carcinoma in a northern Chinese populationJianhui Zhang
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Hebei Cancer Institute, Hebei Medical University, Shijiazhuang, People s Republic of China
Int J Cancer 105:281-4. 2003..Determination of the cyclin D1 (G870A) single nucleotide polymorphism may be suitable to identify individuals with increased risk for ESCC or CAC in the northern Chinese population...
- Association of NAD(P)H: quinone oxidoreductase 1 (NQO1) C609T polymorphism with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in a German Caucasian and a northern Chinese populationJianhui Zhang
Institute of Pathology, University of Duesseldorf, Moorenstr 5, Germany
Carcinogenesis 24:905-9. 2003..In summary, the association of the NQO1 C609T polymorphism with ESCC in genetically distinct populations makes a strong argument for its importance in carcinogenesis of ESCC in the German Caucasian and the northern Chinese population...
- C-myc gene amplification in different stages of oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma: prognostic value in relation to treatment modalityMonika Bitzer
Department of Pathology, Heinrich Heine Universitat, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Anticancer Res 23:1489-93. 2003..The proto-oncogene c-myc is known to be involved in the regulation of proliferation, apoptosis and cell differentiation...
- Association between NAD(P)H: quinone oxidoreductase 1 (NQ01) inactivating C609T polymorphism and adenocarcinoma of the upper gastrointestinal tractMario Sarbia
Institute of Pathology, Technical University of Munich, Munchen, Germany
Int J Cancer 107:381-6. 2003..In conclusion, determination of the NQO1 genotype may gain importance as a stratification marker in future prevention trials for adenocarcinoma of upper gastrointestinal tract...
- The role of p63 and deltaNp63 (p40) protein expression and gene amplification in esophageal carcinogenesisHelene Geddert
Institute of Pathology, Department of Surgery, University of Dusseldorf, Germany
Hum Pathol 34:850-6. 2003..p63 gene amplification is an infrequent finding in esophageal SCCs and ADCs and does not correlate with protein overexpression...
- Polymorphism of p16 INK4A and cyclin D1 in adenocarcinomas of the upper gastrointestinal tractHelene Geddert
Institute of Pathology, Heinrich Heine University, Postfach 101007, 40001, Duesseldorf, Germany
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 131:803-8. 2005..We investigated the prevalence of single nucleotide polymorphisms in the p16 gene (C540G) and the cyclin D1 gene (G870A), both known to regulate function in G1 arrest and therefore, may play an important role in carcinogenesis...
- Gene amplification and protein overexpression of c-erb-b2 in Barrett carcinoma and its precursor lesionsHelene Geddert
Department of Pathology, University of Dusseldorf, Germany
Am J Clin Pathol 118:60-6. 2002..In contrast, protein overexpression appears more often and earlier Besides gene amplification, other mechanisms to induce protein overexpression must exist...
- Intratumoral genetic heterogeneity in Barrett adenocarcinomaTaofeek Owonikoko
Institute of Pathology, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Am J Clin Pathol 117:558-66. 2002..Barrett adenocarcinoma is characterized by marked intratumoral genetic heterogeneity, which must be considered when evaluating genetic alterations as indicators of response to therapy and prognosis...
- Correlation of hMLH1 and HPP1 hypermethylation in gastric, but not in esophageal and cardiac adenocarcinomaHelene Geddert
Institute of Pathology, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Int J Cancer 110:208-11. 2004..Moreover, in gastric cancer, hMLH1 hypermethylation is correlated with hypermethylation of the HPP1 gene...
- Hypermethylation of tumor suppressor genes (p16INK4A, p14ARF and APC) in adenocarcinomas of the upper gastrointestinal tractMario Sarbia
Institute of Pathology, Technical University, Munich, Germany
Int J Cancer 111:224-8. 2004..Our results suggest that hypermethylation of p16(INK4A) and APC are frequent findings in esophageal, cardiac and gastric ADC. Additionally, the data point to a tumor specific methylation pattern in upper gastrointestinal ADC...
- Expression of cyclin B1 in the metaplasia-dysplasia-carcinoma sequence of Barrett esophagusHelene Geddert
Institute of Pathology, University of Dusseldorf, Dusseldorf, Germany
Cancer 94:212-8. 2002..Cyclin B1 is a key protein for the regulation of G2-M-phase transition during the cell cycle and is essential for initiation of mitosis...
- DNA extraction from bronchial aspirates for molecular cytology: which method to take?Hans Jürgen Grote
Institute of Cytopathology, Heinrich Heine University, Moorenstrasse 5, D 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Anal Cell Pathol 25:83-8. 2003..It was the aim of the present study to evaluate the ability of 50% ethanol/2% carbowax (Saccomanno fixative) to preserve bronchial secretions with high quality genomic DNA as well as to compare different DNA extraction methods...
- Aberrant methylation of the adenomatous polyposis coli promoter 1A in bronchial aspirates from patients with suspected lung cancerHans J Grote
Institute of Cytopathology, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Int J Cancer 110:751-5. 2004..5% and a sensitivity of 39%. The data suggest that quantitative analysis of APC hypermethylation may serve as a biomarker of primary lung cancer...
- Patterns of alphavbeta3 expression in primary and metastatic human breast cancer as shown by 18F-Galacto-RGD PETAmbros J Beer
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
J Nucl Med 49:255-9. 2008..The integrin alpha(v)beta(3) is a key player in angiogenesis and metastasis. Our aim was to study the uptake patterns of the alpha(v)beta(3)-selective PET tracer (18)F-galacto-RGD in invasive ductal breast cancer...
- Overexpression of TGF-beta1 in esophageal (Barrett's) adenocarcinoma is associated with advanced stage of disease and poor prognosisBurkhard H A von Rahden
Department of Surgery, Paracelsus Medical University PMU Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
Mol Carcinog 45:786-94. 2006..The TGF-beta pathway may be a potential target for molecular therapies of advanced tumors of this entity...
- Differentiation between pancreaticobiliary and upper gastrointestinal adenocarcinomas: is analysis of cytokeratin 17 expression helpful?Mario Sarbia
Institutes of Pathology, Sana Klinikum Lichtenberg Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Am J Clin Pathol 128:255-9. 2007..However, in individual cases of adenocarcinoma of unknown primary site, CK17 results alone are insufficient to differentiate the analyzed tumor entities...
- Cyclin D1 expression is induced by viral BARF1 and is overexpressed in EBV-associated gastric cancerThorsten Wiech
Institute of Pathology, University Hospital Freiburg, Breisacherstr, 115A, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Virchows Arch 452:621-7. 2008..Cyclin D1 is induced in HaCaT+ by BARF1 and is overexpressed in EBV-associated GC indicating an interaction of viral BARF1 and cyclin D1...
- [18F]galacto-RGD positron emission tomography for imaging of alphavbeta3 expression on the neovasculature in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neckAmbros J Beer
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Technische Universitat Munchen, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Ismaninger Strasse 22, Munich, Germany
Clin Cancer Res 13:6610-6. 2007..Our aim was to study the feasibility of PET imaging with [(18)F]Galacto-RGD in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (SCCHN)...
- c-myc amplification is frequent in esophageal adenocarcinoma and correlated with the upregulation of VEGF-A expressionBurkhard H A von Rahden
Department of Surgery, Paracelsus Medical University Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
Neoplasia 8:702-7. 2006..Deregulation of c-myc plays a major role in the carcinogenesis of human malignancies. We investigated the amplification of the c-myc gene in a surgical series of Barrett cancers...
- Early changes in [18F]FLT uptake after chemotherapy: an experimental studyHelmut Dittmann
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Eberhard Karls University, Roentgenweg 13, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 29:1462-9. 2002..By contrast, CDDP results in an early decline in FLT but not in FDG uptake. This drug-specific modulation of FLT uptake has to be taken into account in positron emission tomography studies using FLT for treatment monitoring...
- No association of primary adenocarcinomas of the small bowel with Epstein-Barr virus infectionBurkhard H A von Rahden
Department of Surgery, Technical University Munich, Munich, Germany
Mol Carcinog 45:349-52. 2006..4% in the group of cardia carcinomas and 8.6% in the group of gastric cancers. These results indicate that EBV infection plays no etiologic role in primary small bowel adenocarcinomas...
- Regulation of thrombomodulin expression in human vascular smooth muscle cells by COX-2-derived prostaglandinsKerstin Rabausch
Institut fur Pharmakologie und Klinische Pharmakologie, Universitatsklinikum Dusseldorf, Germany
Circ Res 96:e1-6. 2005..The full text of this article is available online at http://circres.ahajournals.org...
- Low BAX protein expression correlates with disease recurrence in preoperatively irradiated rectal carcinomaOliver Nehls
Department of Internal Medicine I, Eberhard Karls University Hospital of Tübingen, Tubingen, Germany
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 61:85-91. 2005..To determine the prognostic impact of BAX in correlation to its upstream effector p53 as well as clinicopathologic variables and patient outcome in preoperatively irradiated rectal carcinoma...
- Noninvasive visualization of the activated alphavbeta3 integrin in cancer patients by positron emission tomography and [18F]Galacto-RGDRoland Haubner
Nuklearmedizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Technische Universitat Munchen, Germany
PLoS Med 2:e70. 2005..We developed [(18)F]Galacto-RGD, a (18)F-labeled glycosylated alphavbeta3 antagonist, allowing monitoring of alphavbeta3 expression with positron emission tomography (PET)...
- Esophageal (Barrett's) adenocarcinoma is not associated with Epstein-Barr virus infection: an analysis of 162 casesMario Sarbia
Int J Cancer 117:698-700. 2005
- [The NAD(P)H: quinone oxidoreductase 1 C609T polymorphism and susceptibility to esophageal cancer]Jian hui Zhang
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Hebei Cancer Institute, Shijiazhuang, Hebei, 050011 PR China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Yi Chuan Xue Za Zhi 20:544-6. 2003..To investigate the association of the NAD(P)H: quinone oxidoreductase 1 (NQO1) C609T polymorphism with susceptibility to esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC) in a northern Chinese population...
- Distinction between intestinal metaplasia in the cardia and in Barrett's esophagus: the role of histology and immunohistochemistryMario Sarbia
Institute of Pathology, Technical University Munich, Germany
Hum Pathol 35:371-6. 2004..CD10-positive intestinal brush border is present in the majority of CIM but only in a minority of BIM. However, immunohistochemical investigations could not improve the diagnostic accuracy of HE histology alone...
- Expression and nuclear localization of Snail, an E-cadherin repressor, in adenocarcinomas of the upper gastrointestinal tractErika Rosivatz
Institut fur Pathologie, Technische Universitat Munchen, Trogerstrasse 18, Munchen, Germany
Virchows Arch 448:277-87. 2006....
- Medical Image. Combined FDG-PET/CT and CT-guided biopsy in diagnosing oesophageal cancer recurrenceBurkhard H von Rahden
Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
N Z Med J 119:U1810. 2006
- Expression of EpCam and villin in Barrett's esophagus and in gastric cardiaMario Anders
Department of Internal Medicine, Divisions of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Charité Medical School Campus Virchow, Berlin, Germany
Dis Markers 24:287-92. 2008..Determination of these proteins does not allow discrimination between different degrees of neoplasia or between esophageal intestinal metaplasia and cardiac mucosa...