Affiliation: Heinrich Heine University
- The systemic immune network in recent onset type 1 diabetes: central role of interleukin-1 receptor antagonist (DIATOR Trial)Hubert Kolb
West German Centre of Diabetes and Health, Verbund Katholischer Kliniken Düsseldorf, Dusseldorf, Germany
PLoS ONE 8:e72440. 2013..The hypothesis was tested that the systemic immune milieu in recent-onset type 1 diabetes is associated with residual beta cell function and other metabolic patient characteristics...
- Resistance to diabetes-promoting lifestyle factors -- what is the mechanism?Hubert Kolb
Immunobiology Research Group, Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Dusseldorf, D 4001 Düsseldorf, Germany
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 97:172-4. 2012..Hormesis requires limited stress or damage which elicits an adaptive repair and protective response which renders the organism resistant to further metabolic stress...
- Resistance to type 2 diabetes mellitus: a matter of hormesis?Hubert Kolb
Immunobiology Research Group, Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Dusseldorf, D 40001 Dusseldorf, Germany
Nat Rev Endocrinol 8:183-92. 2012....
- High affinity binding of hydrophobic and autoantigenic regions of proinsulin to the 70 kDa chaperone DnaKVolker Burkart
German Diabetes Centre, Leibniz Institute at Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf, Institute of Clinical Diabetology, Auf m Hennekamp 65, D 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
BMC Biochem 11:44. 2010..Complexes of peptides with chaperones induce peptide-directed immunity. Here we analyzed the interaction of (pre)proinsulin with the best characterized chaperone of the hsp70 family, bacterial DnaK...
- Improved preservation of residual beta cell function by atorvastatin in patients with recent onset type 1 diabetes and high CRP levels (DIATOR trial)Alexander Strom
Institute for Clinical Diabetology, Leibniz Center for Diabetes Research at Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e33108. 2012..Aim of this secondary analysis was to identify patient subgroups which differ in the decline of beta cell function during treatment with atorvastatin...
- Residual beta cell function in newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes after treatment with atorvastatin: the Randomized DIATOR TrialStephan Martin
Institute for Clinical Diabetology, German Diabetes Center, Leibniz Center for Diabetes Research at Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e17554. 2011..The aim of this study was to investigate the possible effect of atorvastatin on the decline of residual beta cell function in recent-onset type 1 diabetes...
- Serum adipokines as biomarkers of beta-cell function in patients with type 1 diabetes: positive association with leptin and resistin and negative association with adiponectinMinh Nguyet Pham
Institute for Clinical Diabetology at German Diabetes Center, Leibniz Center for Diabetes Research at Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 29:166-70. 2013..We investigated the adipokines adiponectin, leptin and resistin as serum biomarkers of beta-cell function in patients with type 1 diabetes...
- Effects of coffee consumption on subclinical inflammation and other risk factors for type 2 diabetes: a clinical trialKerstin Kempf
Institute of Clinical Diabetology, German Diabetes Center, Leibniz Center for Diabetes Research at Heinrich, Heine University Düsseldorf, Dusseldorf, Germany
Am J Clin Nutr 91:950-7. 2010..Coffee consumption is associated with a decreased risk of type 2 diabetes. Suggested mechanisms underlying the association have included attenuation of subclinical inflammation and a reduction in oxidative stress...
- Toll-like receptor 4 deficiency accelerates the development of insulin-deficient diabetes in non-obese diabetic miceElke Gülden
Institute for Clinical Diabetology, German Diabetes Center, Leibniz Center for Diabetes Research, Member of the German Center for Diabetes Research DZD, Dusseldorf, Germany
PLoS ONE 8:e75385. 2013..The aim of our investigation was to study the consequence of TLR4 deficiency on the development of insulin-deficient diabetes in the NOD mouse...
- Myocardial infarction and stroke in early years after diagnosis of type 2 diabetes: risk factors and relation to self-monitoring of blood glucoseStephan Martin
German Diabetes Center, Institute for Clinical Diabetes Research, Dusseldorf, Germany
Diabetes Technol Ther 11:234-41. 2009..The natural course of macrovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetes was analyzed: what are the risk factors, and what is the relationship to the use of self-monitoring of blood glucose (SMBG)?..
- Combined activation of innate and T cell immunity for recognizing immunomodulatory properties of therapeutic agentsBettina Rose
German Diabetes Research Institute at the Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
J Leukoc Biol 75:624-30. 2004....
- Cellular interferon-γ and interleukin-13 immune reactivity in type 1, type 2 and latent autoimmune diabetes: action LADA 6Alexander Strom
Institute for Clinical Diabetology, German Diabetes Center at Heinrich Heine University, Leibniz Institute for Diabetes Research, Dusseldorf, Germany
Cytokine 58:148-51. 2012..This study aimed to compare the pro-inflammatory (interferon-γ, IFN-γ) and anti-inflammatory (interleukin-13, IL-13) T-cell responses in humans with LADA and type 1 diabetes...
- Heat shock protein 60: specific binding of lipopolysaccharideChristiane Habich
German Diabetes Clinic, German Diabetes Center, Leibniz Institute, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
J Immunol 174:1298-305. 2005..Our studies identified a defined region of HSP60 involved in LPS binding, thereby implicating a physiological role of human HSP60 as LPS-binding protein...