- The structure and dynamics of normal language processing: insights from neuroimagingStefan Heim
Research Centre Julich, Institute of Medicine, 52425 Julich, Germany
Acta Neurobiol Exp (Wars) 65:95-116. 2005..This insight leads to some tentative conclusions about remediation strategies in dyslexics with selective (e.g., phonological) deficits...
- Cognitive subtypes of dyslexiaStefan Heim
Research Centre Julich, Institute of Neurosciences and Biophysics, Julich, Germany
Acta Neurobiol Exp (Wars) 68:73-82. 2008..These results indicate that dyslexia may result from distinct cognitive impairments. As a consequence, prevention and remediation programmes should be specifically targeted for the individual child's deficit pattern...
- The determiner congruency effect in language production investigated with functional MRIStefan Heim
Research Centre Julich, Institute for Neurosciences and Biophysics, Julich, Germany
Hum Brain Mapp 30:928-40. 2009..The latter regions are known to be involved in the processing of incongruence and conflict in general. The data thus reveal the involvement of the left BA 44 in the selection of determiners for language production...
- Specialisation in Broca's region for semantic, phonological, and syntactic fluency?Stefan Heim
Research Centre Julich, Institute of Neurosciences and Biophysics INB 3, Julich, Germany
Neuroimage 40:1362-8. 2008..In contrast, phonological verbal fluency additionally involved the left BA 44. In conclusion, different parts of Broca's region support task-specific and more general processes in verbal fluency...
- Syntactic gender processing in the human brain: a review and a modelStefan Heim
Research Centre Julich, Institute for Neurosciences and Biophysics, Leo Brandt Strasse 5, 52425 Julich, Germany
Brain Lang 106:55-64. 2008..The left BA 45 is involved in the strategic generation of morphological cues that facilitate gender processing. Model implications for aphasic patients with lesions including or excluding parts of Broca's speech region are discussed...
- Effective connectivity of the left BA 44, BA 45, and inferior temporal gyrus during lexical and phonological decisions identified with DCMStefan Heim
Research Centre Julich, Institute of Neuroscience and Biophysics, Julich, Germany
Hum Brain Mapp 30:392-402. 2009..This model is in line with the hypothesis that left BA 45 supports explicit lexical decisions during visual word recognition based on lexical access in the ITG...
- Modality-independent involvement of the left BA 44 during lexical decision makingStefan Heim
Research Centre Julich, Institute of Neurosciences and Biophysics INB 3, 52425 Julich, Germany
Brain Struct Funct 212:95-106. 2007..These results indicate that the left BA 44 as a distinct sub-part of Broca's region plays an important role in lexical decision making independently of stimulus modality and decision times...
- BA 44 in Broca's area supports syntactic gender decisions in language productionStefan Heim
Research Centre Julich, Institute of Medicine, AG Brain Mapping, Julich, Germany
Neuroreport 17:1097-101. 2006..Using cytoarchitectonic probability maps, the activation was localized at Brodmann's area 44. The data suggest that Brodmann's area 44 in Broca's area is a shared neural correlate for gender processing in production and comprehension...
- A dual-route account for access to grammatical gender: evidence from functional MRIStefan Heim
Research Centre Julich, Institute of Medicine, 52425 Julich, Germany
Anat Embryol (Berl) 210:473-83. 2005..These results speak in favour of a dual-route account for modelling the access to grammatical gender information during language comprehension...
- Prosodic pitch accents in language comprehension and production: ERP data and acoustic analysesStefan Heim
Institute of Medicine, Research Centre Julich, 52425 Julich, Germany
Acta Neurobiol Exp (Wars) 66:55-68. 2006....
- Head motion during overt language production in functional magnetic resonance imagingStefan Heim
Research Centre Julich, Institute of Medicine, Julich, Germany
Neuroreport 17:579-82. 2006..The data encourage further use of overt language production in functional magnetic resonance imaging with careful head fixation but no bite-bar...
- The role of the left Brodmann's areas 44 and 45 in reading words and pseudowordsStefan Heim
Research Centre Julich, Institute of Medicine, AG Brain Mapping, 52425 Julich, Germany
Brain Res Cogn Brain Res 25:982-93. 2005..The results are interpreted within a dual-route model of reading with the left BA 44 supporting grapheme-to-phoneme conversion and the left BA 45 being related to explicit lexical search...
- Eliciting dyslexic symptoms in proficient readers by simulating deficits in grapheme-to-phoneme conversion and visuo-magnocellular processingNicole Tholen
Research Centre Julich, Institute of Neurosciences and Medicine INM 1 and INM 3, Germany
Dyslexia 17:268-81. 2011..The paradigm is thus a potential means of generating novel hypotheses about dyslexia, which can easily be tested with normal readers before screening and recruiting real dyslexics...
- Dissociated neural processing for decisions in managers and non-managersSvenja Caspers
Institute of Neuroscience and Medicine, Research Centre Julich, Julich, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e43537. 2012..More generally, the findings reveal how different professional requirements might modulate cognitive decision processing...
- Testing anatomically specified hypotheses in functional imaging using cytoarchitectonic mapsSimon B Eickhoff
Institut fur Medizin, Forschungszentrum Julich, Julich, Germany
Neuroimage 32:570-82. 2006..In combination with thresholding based on the Gaussian random field theory, these ROIs can then be applied to test anatomically specified hypotheses in functional neuroimaging studies...
- The time course of neurolinguistic and neuropsychological symptoms in three cases of logopenic primary progressive aphasiaLouise Etcheverry
Research Centre Julich, Institute for Neuroscience and Medicine INM 1, INM 2, Julich, Germany
Neuropsychologia 50:1708-18. 2012..These deficits may further interact and thus form a multi-causal basis for the patients' problems in every-day life which need to be considered when planning individually targeted intervention in PPA...
- A systems perspective on the effective connectivity of overt speech productionSimon B Eickhoff
Institute for Neuroscience and Biophysics Medicine INB 3, Research Centre Jülich GmbH, 52425 Julich, Germany
Philos Transact A Math Phys Eng Sci 367:2399-421. 2009..The proposed model of physiological integration during speech production may now serve as a reference for investigations into the neurobiology of pathological states such as dysarthria and apraxia of speech...
- Moral concepts set decision strategies to abstract valuesSvenja Caspers
Institute of Neuroscience and Medicine INM 1, INM 2, Research Centre Julich, Julich, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e18451. 2011..These findings provide a novel perspective to future sociological and economic research as well as to the analysis of social relations by focusing on abstract value systems as triggers of specific brain responses...
- The brain differentiates human and non-human grammars: functional localization and structural connectivityAngela D Friederici
Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences, Stephanstrasse 1a, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:2458-63. 2006..Tractography data revealing differential structural connectivity signatures for these two brain areas provide additional evidence for a segregation of two areas in the left inferior frontal cortex...