Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Hannover Medical School
- Derda A, Thum S, Lorenzen J, Bavendiek U, Heineke J, Keyser B, et al. Blood-based microRNA signatures differentiate various forms of cardiac hypertrophy. Int J Cardiol. 2015;196:115-22 pubmed publisher..We demonstrated that miR-29a and miR-29c show a specific signature to distinguish between aortic stenosis, hypertrophic non-obstructive and obstructive cardiomyopathies and thus could be developed into clinically useful biomarkers. ..
- Chatterjee S, De Gonzalo Calvo D, Derda A, Schimmel K, Sonnenschein K, Bavendiek U, et al. Leukocyte telomere length correlates with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy severity. Sci Rep. 2018;8:11227 pubmed publisher..In summary, telomere length is associated with the severity of the disease in the HOCM subtype. ..
- Thum T, Batkai S, Malinski P, Becker T, Mevius I, Klempnauer J, et al. Measurement and diagnostic use of hepatic cytochrome P450 metabolism of oleic acid in liver disease. Liver Int. 2010;30:1181-8 pubmed publisher..The liver is the major organ responsible for the oxidation of oleic acid to cis-EODA, and thus, cis-EODA may be a suitable biomarker to assess liver function. ..
- Garg A, Gupta S, Thum T. Long non-coding RNAs: A crucial part of the vasculature puzzle. Vascul Pharmacol. 2019;114:131-138 pubmed publisher..Here, in particular, we summarize the lncRNAs actively participating in the development of our vasculature and the ones which function as drivers or modulators of fatal vascular diseases. ..
- Kitow J, Derda A, Beermann J, Kumarswarmy R, Pfanne A, Fendrich J, et al. Mitochondrial long noncoding RNAs as blood based biomarkers for cardiac remodeling in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2016;311:H707-12 pubmed publisher..4 and uc022bqu.1 were upregulated in patients with HOCM and they were also able to identify HOCM and could be developed as useful clinical biomarkers in the future. ..
- Gupta S, Itagaki R, Zheng X, Batkai S, Thum S, Ahmad F, et al. miR-21 promotes fibrosis in an acute cardiac allograft transplantation model. Cardiovasc Res. 2016;110:215-26 pubmed publisher..Thus, inhibition of miR-21 is a novel strategy to target fibrosis development in cardiac allografts. ..
- Goldschmidt I, Thum T, Baumann U. Circulating miR-21 and miR-29a as Markers of Disease Severity and Etiology in Cholestatic Pediatric Liver Disease. J Clin Med. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..The discriminating effect regarding neonatal cholestasis should be followed up in a prospective longitudinal study. ..
- Gupta S, Foinquinos A, Thum S, Remke J, Zimmer K, Bauters C, et al. Preclinical Development of a MicroRNA-Based Therapy for Elderly Patients With Myocardial Infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016;68:1557-71 pubmed publisher..Finally, circulating miR-22 provides prognostic information for HF patients, highlighting miR-22 as a promising therapeutic and biomarker candidate for cardiovascular disorders. ..
- Bär C, Chatterjee S, Thum T. Long Noncoding RNAs in Cardiovascular Pathology, Diagnosis, and Therapy. Circulation. 2016;134:1484-1499 pubmed
- Dangwal S, Schimmel K, Foinquinos A, Xiao K, Thum T. Noncoding RNAs in Heart Failure. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2017;243:423-445 pubmed publisher..In-depth study of their interaction with gene networks will refine our current view of heart failure and revolutionize the drug development in coming years. ..
- Gupta S, Thum T. Non-coding RNAs as orchestrators of autophagic processes. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2016;95:26-30 pubmed publisher..In addition, we discuss long noncoding RNAs and circular RNAs as potential modulators of autophagy. Altering non-coding RNAs in-vivo by novel therapeutics offers a promising approach to treat autophagy-related diseases. ..
- Fiedler J, Breckwoldt K, Remmele C, Hartmann D, Dittrich M, Pfanne A, et al. Development of Long Noncoding RNA-Based Strategies to Modulate Tissue Vascularization. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015;66:2005-2015 pubmed publisher..LncRNAs hold great promise to serve as important future therapeutic targets of cardiovascular disease. ..
- KÃ¶lling M, Kaucsár T, Schauerte C, HÃ¼bner A, Dettling A, Park J, et al. Therapeutic miR-21 Silencing Ameliorates Diabetic Kidney Disease in Mice. Mol Ther. 2017;25:165-180 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, miR-21 antagonism rescued various functional and structural parameters in mice with diabetic nephropathy and, thus, might be a viable option in the treatment of patients with diabetic kidney disease. ..
- Dangwal S, Thum T. MicroRNAs in platelet physiology and pathology. Hamostaseologie. 2013;33:17-20 pubmed publisher..Here, we present a review on recently identified platelet miRNAs and their role in platelet physiology that is essential for maintaining haemostasis. ..
- Chatterjee S, BÃ¤r C, Thum T. Linc-ing the Noncoding Genome to Heart Function: Beating Hypertrophy. Trends Mol Med. 2017;23:577-579 pubmed publisher..Recent advances on the functional roles of lncRNAs in cardiac hypertrophy are expected to usher improved therapeutic strategies. ..
- Kleeberger J, Neuser J, De Gonzalo Calvo D, Kempf T, Bauersachs J, Thum T, et al. microRNA-206 correlates with left ventricular function after transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI). Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2017;:ajpheart.00432.2017 pubmed publisher..A decrease in the serum level of miR-206 may be linked to changes in cardiac function of patients after TAVI. Further studies are necessary to test the miRNA for its potential value as a prognostic marker...
- Fiedler J, Jazbutyte V, Kirchmaier B, Gupta S, Lorenzen J, Hartmann D, et al. MicroRNA-24 regulates vascularity after myocardial infarction. Circulation. 2011;124:720-30 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that miR-24 acts as a critical regulator of endothelial cell apoptosis and angiogenesis and is suitable for therapeutic intervention in the setting of ischemic heart disease. ..
- Hartmann D, Fiedler J, Sonnenschein K, Just A, Pfanne A, Zimmer K, et al. MicroRNA-Based Therapy of GATA2-Deficient Vascular Disease. Circulation. 2016;134:1973-1990 pubmed..GATA2-mediated regulation of miR-126 and miR-221 has an important impact on endothelial biology. Hence, modulation of GATA2 and its targets miR-126 and miR-221 is a promising therapeutic strategy for treatment of many vascular diseases. ..
- BÃ¼hrke A, BÃ¤r C, Thum T. [Non-coding RNA : Innovative regulators with therapeutic perspective]. Herz. 2018;43:115-122 pubmed publisher..In fact, first medications based on miRNAs have already achieved approval. Additionally, ncRNAs contained in plasma can serve as new non-invasive diagnostic markers for the detection of diseases. ..
- Schauerte C, Hübner A, Rong S, Wang S, Shushakova N, Mengel M, et al. Antagonism of profibrotic microRNA-21 improves outcome of murine chronic renal allograft dysfunction. Kidney Int. 2017;92:646-656 pubmed publisher..miR-21a-5p silencing may therefore be a viable therapeutic option in the treatment of patients following kidney transplantation to halt the development of CAD. ..
- Viereck J, Thum T. Circulating Noncoding RNAs as Biomarkers of Cardiovascular Disease and Injury. Circ Res. 2017;120:381-399 pubmed publisher..In this review, we summarize recent findings on biological characteristics of circulating ncRNAs and highlight their value as potential biomarker in selected pathologies of cardiovascular disease. ..
- Viereck J, Thum T. Long Noncoding RNAs in Pathological Cardiac Remodeling. Circ Res. 2017;120:262-264 pubmed publisher..A novel long noncoding RNA Chaer acts as noncoding epigenetic regulator at the onset of cardiac hypertrophy and enables an improved understanding about the complex mechanisms in cardiovascular disease. ..
- Thum T, Schmitter K, Fleissner F, Wiebking V, Dietrich B, Widder J, et al. Impairment of endothelial progenitor cell function and vascularization capacity by aldosterone in mice and humans. Eur Heart J. 2011;32:1275-86 pubmed publisher..Normalization of EPC function may represent a novel mechanism contributing to the beneficial effects of MR blockade in cardiovascular disease prevention and treatment. ..
- Gupta S, Garg A, Bär C, Chatterjee S, Foinquinos A, Milting H, et al. Quaking Inhibits Doxorubicin-Mediated Cardiotoxicity Through Regulation of Cardiac Circular RNA Expression. Circ Res. 2018;122:246-254 pubmed publisher..i>Qki5 is, thus, an interesting target molecule to combat doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity. ..
- Viereck J, Kumarswamy R, Foinquinos A, Xiao K, Avramopoulos P, Kunz M, et al. Long noncoding RNA Chast promotes cardiac remodeling. Sci Transl Med. 2016;8:326ra22 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Chast can be a potential target to prevent cardiac remodeling and highlight a general role of lncRNAs in heart diseases. ..