- Toward understanding respiratory sinus arrhythmia: relations to cardiac vagal tone, evolution and biobehavioral functionsPaul Grossman
Department of Psychosomatic and Internal Medicine, Psychophysiology Research Laboratory, University of Basel Hospital, Hebelstrasse 2, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Biol Psychol 74:263-85. 2007..Finally, a recent hypothesis is expanded upon, in which RSA plays a primary role in regulation of energy exchange by means of synchronizing respiratory and cardiovascular processes during metabolic and behavioral change...
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction and health benefits. A meta-analysisPaul Grossman
Freiburg Institute for Mindfulness Research, Konradstr 32, 79100 Freiburg, Germany
J Psychosom Res 57:35-43. 2004..We performed a comprehensive review and meta-analysis of published and unpublished studies of health-related studies related to MBSR...
- Assessment of heart rate variability during alterations in stress: complex demodulation vs. spectral analysisFrank H Wilhelm
Institute for Psychology, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Biomed Sci Instrum 41:346-51. 2005..CDM may also hold promise for a range of physiological and environmental non-steady state conditions where rapid dynamic alterations in autonomic control are likely to occur...
- Whither vagal toneGary G Berntson
The Ohio State University, Department of Psychology, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Biol Psychol 74:295-300. 2007..We here consider the biological foundations for this view, discuss some methodological and interpretative caveats for RSA applications and offer suggestions for further development of the field...
- Mindfulness training as an intervention for fibromyalgia: evidence of postintervention and 3-year follow-up benefits in well-beingPaul Grossman
Division of Psychosomatic Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Basel Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Psychother Psychosom 76:226-33. 2007..Studies suggest improvements in general aspects of well-being, including quality of life (QoL), coping and positive affect, as well as decreased anxiety and depression...
- The LifeShirt: a multi-function ambulatory system monitoring health, disease, and medical intervention in the real worldPaul Grossman
University of Freiburg and FIMR, Konradstrasse 32, 79100 Freiburg, Germany
Stud Health Technol Inform 108:133-41. 2004..Clinical applications include sleep diagnostics, heart disease, pulmonary disorders, cardiopulmonary rehabilitation, early hospital discharge and pre- and post-operative monitoring, human-factors in ergonomics and behavioral medicine...
- Challenges to conventional thinking about mind and bodyPaul Grossman
Freiburg Institute for Mindfulness Research, Konradstrasse 32, 79100, Freiburg, Germany
J Psychosom Res 55:491-2. 2003
- Respiratory sinus arrhythmia, cardiac vagal control, and daily activityP Grossman
Freiburg Institute for Mindfulness Research, Freiburg, Germany
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 287:H728-34. 2004..Concurrent monitoring of respiration and physical activity may enhance HR variability accuracy to predict autonomic control...
- Treating fibromyalgia with mindfulness-based stress reduction: results from a 3-armed randomized controlled trialStefan Schmidt
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, University Medical Center, Freiburg, Germany
Pain 152:361-9. 2011..In a 3-armed randomized controlled trial in female patients suffering from fibromyalgia, patients benefited modestly from a mindfulness-based stress reduction intervention...
- Does mindfulness meditation contribute to health? Outcome evaluation of a German sampleMarcus Majumdar
Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg, Department of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Freiburg, Germany
J Altern Complement Med 8:719-30; discussion 731-5. 2002..This exploratory study is the first systematic outcome evaluation to examine the effects of an 8-week meditation-based program in mindfulness in a German sample...
- Associations among salivary cortisol, melatonin, catecholamines, sleep quality and stress in women with breast cancer and healthy controlsLinda E Carlson
Department of Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
J Behav Med 30:45-58. 2007..These results are consistent with other studies of early-stage breast cancer and highlight the importance of considering disease characteristics when investigating endocrine and sympathetic nervous system functioning...
- Psychophysiological ambulatory assessment of affective dysregulation in borderline personality disorderUlrich W Ebner-Priemer
Department of Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy, Central Institute of Mental Health, Postfach 122120, 68072 Mannheim, Germany
Psychiatry Res 150:265-75. 2007..M., 1993. Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder. The Guildford Press, New York.] and suggest the potential utility for evaluating treatment outcome...
- Autonomic and respiratory characteristics of posttraumatic stress disorder and panic disorderJens Blechert
Department of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, University of Basel, Missionsstrasse 60 62, CH 4055 Basel, Switzerland
Psychosom Med 69:935-43. 2007..In contrast, PD has been associated with respiratory abnormalities such as low end-tidal Pco(2). An integrated analysis of automatic and respiratory function in a direct comparison of these anxiety disorders is currently lacking...
- Acupuncture in migraine: investigation of autonomic effectsMarcus Backer
Complementary and Integrative Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine V, University of Duisburg Essen, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Germany
Clin J Pain 24:106-15. 2008..As acupuncture has been shown to exhibit considerable autonomic effects, we tested whether the clinical effects of acupuncture in migraine prophylaxis are mediated by changes of the autonomic regulation...
- Improving estimation of cardiac vagal tone during spontaneous breathing using a paced breathing calibrationFrank H Wilhelm
Institute for Psychology, University of Basel, 4055 Basel, Switzerland
Biomed Sci Instrum 40:317-24. 2004..Results provide some support for the utility of this adjustment method for improving the estimation of cardiac vagal tone from RSA, but also indicate that the paced breathing procedure may need to be further refined...
- On measuring mindfulness in psychosomatic and psychological researchPaul Grossman
Department of Psychosomatic Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, University of Basel Hospital, Hebelstrasse 2, CH4031 Basel, Switzerland
J Psychosom Res 64:405-8. 2008
- Distinguishing emotional from physical activation in ambulatory psychophysiological monitoringFrank H Wilhelm
Institute for Psychology, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Biomed Sci Instrum 42:458-63. 2006..This can be achieved by specific channels such as accelerometry, items in an electronic diary, semi-structured protocols, and statistical modeling...
- Reliability of respiratory tidal volume estimation by means of ambulatory inductive plethysmographyPaul Grossman
Psychosomatic and Internal Medicine, University of Basel Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Biomed Sci Instrum 42:193-8. 2006..Findings also point to the stability of individual differences in respiratory parameters over consecutive weeks...
- Effects of lifestyle modification on the progression of coronary atherosclerosis, autonomic function, and angina--the role of GNB3 C825T polymorphismAndreas Michalsen
Abteilung Innere Medizin V, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Germany
Am Heart J 151:870-7. 2006....
- Rapid stress reduction and anxiolysis among distressed women as a consequence of a three-month intensive yoga programAndreas Michalsen
Department of Integrative and Internal Medicine V, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Chair of Complementary Medicine at the University Duisburg Essen, Germany
Med Sci Monit 11:CR555-561. 2005..We aimed to evaluate potential effects of Iyengar Hatha yoga on perceived stress and associated psychological outcomes in mentally distressed women...
- A comment on Burgomaster et al. and a general plea to consider behavioral influences in human physiology studiesPaul Grossman
J Appl Physiol 99:2473-4; author reply 2474-5. 2005
- Psychological and quality-of-life outcomes from a comprehensive stress reduction and lifestyle program in patients with coronary artery disease: results of a randomized trialAndreas Michalsen
Kliniken Essen Mitte, Chair of Complementary and Integrative Medicine of the University Duisburg Essen, Department of Internal Medicine V and Integrative Medicine, Essen, Germany
Psychother Psychosom 74:344-52. 2005..Given recent significant improvements in cardiac care, we evaluated the current benefit of stress reduction/lifestyle modification on QoL and emotional distress in patients with coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- Mental stress response, arterial stiffness, and baroreflex sensitivity in healthy agingRuth D Lipman
Laboratory for Cardiovascular Research, Hebrew Rehabilitation Center for Aged, Boston, Massachusetts 02131, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 57:B279-84. 2002..These observations may provide a mechanistic link between the physiology of cardiovascular reactivity to stress and risk of cardiovascular events in middle-aged and older individuals...