Affiliation: German Cancer Research Center
- [Are competitions an appropriate instrument for youth smoking cessation? A 1-year follow-up of the Germany-wide "Smoke-free 2004" campaign]Sven Schneider
Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum und WHO Kollaborationszentrum für Tabakkontrolle, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg
Med Klin (Munich) 101:711-7. 2006..This prevention campaign explicitly included juvenile smokers...
- [Causes of socioeconomic group-related mortality in the Federal Republic of Germany--tobacco consumption is the predominant risk factor]Sven Schneider
Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Stabsstelle Krebsprävention sowie WHO Kollaborationszentrum für Tabakkontrolle, Heidelberg
Int J Public Health 52:39-53. 2007..To establish whether socioeconomic differences in mortality exist in the Federal Republic of Germany and whether any such differences are attributable to material, structural, and lifestyle factors...
- Epidemiology and risk factors of sports injuries--multivariate analyses using German national dataS Schneider
Orthopädische Universitätsklinik Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Int J Sports Med 28:247-52. 2007..Our representative data also shows that future injury prevention strategies should focus on the highest risk group of young male recreational athletes...
- Why do women have back pain more than men? A representative prevalence study in the federal republic of GermanySven Schneider
Pain Therapy, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Clin J Pain 22:738-47. 2006..This paper looks at the possible underlying reasons for this as yet unexplained gender difference, using Stokols' socioecological health model as a basis...
- [Smoke-free restaurants: opinions and acceptance in a representative sample of the German population]S Schneider
Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, WHO Kollaborationszentrum für Tabakkontrolle
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 131:2067-72. 2006..Every year over 3,300 non-smokers in Germany die from diseases caused by passive smoking. It was the aim of this study to obtain country-wide representative opinions about a smoking ban in restaurants...
- ["Are rich people healthier?"--Representative epidemiological data on socioeconomic group-specific disease prevalences among adults in Germany]S Schneider
Forschungsabteilung, Orthopädische Universitätsklinik Heidelberg
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 131:1998-2003. 2006..The aim of this study was to determine representative nationwide data on differences in the prevalence of specific diseases between socioeconomic groups...
- Prevalence and correlates of inflammatory arthritis in Germany: data from the First National Health SurveyS Schneider
Research Department, Orthopädische Universitätsklinik Heidelberg, Schlierbacher Landstrasse 200, 69118, Heidelberg, Germany
Rheumatol Int 27:29-38. 2006..Patients with inflammatory arthritis have a higher rate of numerous comorbidities such as osteoporosis, thyroid disease, chronic bronchial disease, hypertension, and elevated blood lipids versus healthy reference groups...
- Comorbidity of low back pain: representative outcomes of a national health study in the Federal Republic of GermanySven Schneider
Stiftung Orthopädische Universitätsklinik Heidelberg, Forschungsgruppe Epidemiologie und Biometrie, Schlierbacher Landstrasse 200, D 69118 Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Pain 11:387-97. 2007..Unlike other biopsychosocial risk factors, the role of comorbidity in low back pain is largely unknown...
- Sports injuries: population based representative data on incidence, diagnosis, sequelae, and high risk groupsS Schneider
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Br J Sports Med 40:334-9; discussion 339. 2006..To generate national representative data on the incidence, diagnosis, severity, and nature of medically treated sports injuries and to identify high risk groups...
- Occupations associated with a high risk of self-reported back pain: representative outcomes of a back pain prevalence study in the Federal Republic of GermanySven Schneider
Section Neuroorthopaedics, Orthopädische Universitätsklinik Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Eur Spine J 15:821-33. 2006..The results underline the importance of measures to promote preventive behaviour and improve the working conditions of those in low-skill manual labour occupations...
- Workplace stress, lifestyle and social factors as correlates of back pain: a representative study of the German working populationSven Schneider
Orthopädische Universitätsklinik Heidelberg, Schlierbacher Landstrasse 200, 69118 Heidelberg, Germany
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 78:253-69. 2005..To investigate the prevalence of back pain in the German working population and the relationship between back pain and workplace stresses, lifestyle and social factors...
- Prevalence of physical activity among the working population and correlation with work-related factors: results from the first German National Health SurveySven Schneider
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Germany
J Occup Health 47:414-23. 2005..We therefore advocate continuous exercise programs near the workplace involving exercise training suited to the particular occupation, dietary advice, relaxation techniques and occupational medical care...
- Exposure to secondhand smoke in Germany: air contamination due to smoking in German restaurants, bars, and other venuesSven Schneider
Mannheim Institute of Public Health, Social and Preventive Medicine, Heidelberg University, Heidelberg, Germany
Nicotine Tob Res 10:547-55. 2008..This study is important for the ongoing national debate in Germany as well as for debates in all countries without smoke-free air legislation, which includes most countries around the world...
- Optimising lifestyle interventions: identification of health behaviour patterns by cluster analysis in a German 50+ surveySven Schneider
Mannheim Institute of Public Health, Social and Preventive Medicine MIPH, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim Medical Faculty, Mannheim, Germany
Eur J Public Health 19:271-7. 2009..The purpose of this study was to group a sample of the over-50 population into clusters that exhibit specific health behaviour patterns regarding regular tobacco use, excessive alcohol consumption, unhealthy diet and physical inactivity...
- Back care programs for health promotion-representative user profiles and correlates of participation in GermanySven Schneider
Section Pain Therapy, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Heidelberg, D 69118, Heidelberg, Germany
Prev Med 40:227-38. 2005..The purpose of the present study was to investigate representative participation rates and their correlates in the German general population...
- Individual and social environment influences on smoking in children and adolescentsS Pust
German Cancer Research Center, Unit Cancer Prevention and WHO Collaborating Centre for Tobacco Control, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Public Health 122:1324-30. 2008..This study investigated current smoking prevalence and the social and regional correlates for smoking among minors (children and adolescents aged 12-17 years) in Germany...
- Radiographic changes in the lumbar spine in former elite athletesHolger Schmitt
Stiftung Orthopaedische Universitatsklinik Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:2554-9. 2004..The authors conducted a retrospective cohort study...
- Who smokes during pregnancy? An analysis of the German Perinatal Quality Survey 2005S Schneider
Mannheim Institute of Public Health, Social and Preventive Medicine, Mannheim Medical Faculty, University of Heidelberg, Ludolf Krehl Street 7 11, D 68167 Mannheim, Germany
Public Health 122:1210-6. 2008..Smoking during pregnancy greatly increases the risk of adverse fetal outcomes. This study was conducted to investigate the prevalence of smoking during pregnancy and to identify social, behavioural and preventable perinatal risk factors...
- The effect of pictorial warnings on cigarette packages on attentional bias of smokersSabine Loeber
Department of Addictive Behaviour and Addiction Medicine, Central Institute of Mental Health, University of Heidelberg, J5, 68159 Mannheim, Germany
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 98:292-8. 2011....
- Associations between job strain and the cortisol/DHEA-S ratio among management and nonmanagement personnelMichael C Gadinger
Mannheim Institute for Public Health, Social and Preventive Medicine, Mannheim Medical Faculty, University of Heidelberg, Ludolf Krehl Strasse 7 11, Mannheim, Germany
Psychosom Med 73:44-52. 2011..To assess associations between the main, nonlinear, and interactive effects of the demand-control-support (DCS) model and the cortisol/dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEA-S) ratio, a biomarker of psychophysical well-being...
- Bone mineral density and degenerative changes of the lumbar spine in former elite athletesH Schmitt
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Int J Sports Med 26:457-63. 2005..e. BMI) and age, training history, and degenerative changes in the lumbar spine of former throwers, jumpers, and endurance athletes are taken into consideration...
- Predictors of resectability in breast-conserving therapyMichelle G Rath
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University of Heidelberg, Voßstraße 9, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
Arch Gynecol Obstet 286:1023-31. 2012....
- Behavioral counseling for cardiovascular disease prevention in primary care settings: a systematic review of practice and associated factorsChristina Bock
Mannheim Institute of Public Health, Social and Preventive Medicine, Medical Faculty Mannheim, Heidelberg University, Heidelberg, Germany
Med Care Res Rev 69:495-518. 2012....
- [Proximal fracture of the femur in elderly patients. The influence of surgical care and patient characteristics on post-operative mortality]F Geiger
Stiftung Orthopädische Universitätsklinik Heidelberg, Schlierbacher Landstr 200A, 69118, Heidelberg, Germany
Orthopade 35:651-7. 2006..THP, even after pertrochanteric fractures, is reasonable if it guarantees a quick and enduring mobilisation of the patient. Bicentric bipolar prostheses are recommended for high risk patients...
- [Attendance at back care programmes: a representative study of the working population in Germany]Sven Schneider
Stiftung Orthopädische Universitätsklinik, Sektion Schmerztherapie, Universitat Heidelberg, Germany
Soz Praventivmed 50:95-106. 2005..To investigate nationwide participation rates in back care programmes of the German working population...
- [Social relationships, stress and mortality]Thomas Klein
Institut für Soziologie Universität Heidelberg Sandgasse 9 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Z Gerontol Geriatr 35:441-9. 2002..The empirical analyses confirm the findings that social relationships induce lower mortality rates. Yet, social relationships lead to lower mortality independent of stress and social strains...
- Who smokes during pregnancy? A systematic literature review of population-based surveys conducted in developed countries between 1997 and 2006Sven Schneider
Mannheim Institute of Public Health, Social and Preventive Medicine, Mannheim Medical Faculty, Heidelberg University, Germany
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 13:138-47. 2008..This review aims at identifying factors which differentiate women who smoke during pregnancy from those who do not, in developed countries...