Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: German Cancer Research Center
- The catalog of human hair keratins. I. Expression of the nine type I members in the hair follicleL Langbein
Division of Cell Biology, German Cancer Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Biol Chem 274:19874-84. 1999....
- The human keratins: biology and pathologyRoland Moll
Institute of Pathology, Philipps University, 35033, Marburg, Germany
Histochem Cell Biol 129:705-33. 2008..Future research might open further fields of clinical application for this remarkable protein family...
- Characterization of a cluster of human high/ultrahigh sulfur keratin-associated protein genes embedded in the type I keratin gene domain on chromosome 17q12-21M A Rogers
Divisions of Biochemistry of Tissue-specific Regulation, Cell Biology, and Resource Center for Human Genome Research, German Cancer Research Center, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Biol Chem 276:19440-51. 2001..Hair follicle in situ hybridization data for single members of five different KAP multigene families all showed localization of the respective mRNAs to the upper cortex of the hair shaft...
- Plakophilin 3--a novel cell-type-specific desmosomal plaque proteinA Schmidt
Division of Cell Biology, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
Differentiation 64:291-306. 1999..The similarities and differences of the diverse plakophilins are discussed...
- Sequences and differential expression of three novel human type-II hair keratinsM A Rogers
Division of Tumor Cell Regulation, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
Differentiation 61:187-94. 1997..This early phase of hair differentiation is followed by a late cortical phase of terminal differentiation which comprises at least three type-II hair keratins in the zone of elongation and the keratogenous zone of the hair shaft...
- Characterization of a 300 kbp region of human DNA containing the type II hair keratin gene domainM A Rogers
German Cancer Research Center, Research Programs 1 and 2, Heidelberg, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 114:464-72. 2000..We assume that the approximately 200 kbp DNA domain contains the entire complement of human type II hair keratin genes...
- The catalog of human hair keratins. II. Expression of the six type II members in the hair follicle and the combined catalog of human type I and II keratinsL Langbein
Divisions of Cell Biology and Tumor Cell Regulation, German Cancer Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Biol Chem 276:35123-32. 2001....
- Genomic characterization of the human type I cuticular hair keratin hHa2 and identification of an adjacent novel type I hair keratin gene hHa5M A Rogers
Research Program, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 107:633-8. 1996..Our results confirm the type specific clustering of keratin genes and indicate that the human type I hair keratin subfamily contains more members than previously assumed...
- Human type I hair keratin pseudogene phihHaA has functional orthologs in the chimpanzee and gorilla: evidence for recent inactivation of the human gene after the Pan-Homo divergenceH Winter
German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
Hum Genet 108:37-42. 2001..In addition, the homozygous presence of the phihHaA exon 4 nonsense mutation in some of the earliest branching lineages among extant human populations lends strong support to the "single African origin" hypothesis of modern humans...
- A splice site mutation in the gene of the human type I hair keratin hHa1 results in the expression of a tailless keratin isoformH Winter
German Cancer Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Biol Chem 272:32345-52. 1997..This finding confirms the view of a noninvolvement of the keratin tail domain in filament assembly and explains the lack of a pathological hair phenotype in hHa1-t positive individuals...
- Mutations in the hair cortex keratin hHb6 cause the inherited hair disease monilethrixH Winter
Division of Tumour Cell Regulation, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
Nat Genet 16:372-4. 1997..These mutations provide the first direct evidence for involvement of hair keratins in hair disease...
- Drebrin particles: components in the ensemble of proteins regulating actin dynamics of lamellipodia and filopodiaW K Peitsch
Division of Cell Biology, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg
Eur J Cell Biol 80:567-79. 2001....
- Characterization and expression analysis of the hair keratin associated protein KAP26.1M A Rogers
Division of Molecular Genetics, German Cancer Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 580, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Br J Dermatol 159:725-9. 2008..Recently, four new KAP family members KAP24.1, KAP25.1, KAP26.1 and KAP27.1 were identified from the genome, but the expression of only one, KAP24.1, was investigated and shown in hair follicles...
- Plakophilins 1a and 1b: widespread nuclear proteins recruited in specific epithelial cells as desmosomal plaque componentsA Schmidt
Division of Cell Biology, German Cancer Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Cell Tissue Res 290:481-99. 1997..Possible functions of plakophilins are discussed in relation to recent reports of the involvement of other members of the armadillo/plakoglobin multigene family of proteins in cell surface-gene regulation signalling pathways...
- A novel human type II cytokeratin, K6hf, specifically expressed in the companion layer of the hair follicleH Winter
German Cancer Research Center, Department of Tumor Cell Regulation, Heidelberg
J Invest Dermatol 111:955-62. 1998..Thus, not only morphologically but also biochemically, the companion layer is different from the ORS and can therefore be regarded as an independent histologic compartment of the hair follicle...
- Molecular characterization of the body site-specific human epidermal cytokeratin 9: cDNA cloning, amino acid sequence, and tissue specificity of gene expressionL Langbein
Division of Cell Biology, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg
Differentiation 55:57-71. 1993..We discuss the molecular properties of CK 9 and its cell type- and body site-specific expression in relation to the special differentiation of palmar/plantar epidermis and to diseases specific for this body site...
- Cytokeratins as markers of follicular differentiation: an immunohistochemical study of trichoblastoma and basal cell carcinomaH Kurzen
Department of Dermatology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Am J Dermatopathol 23:501-9. 2001..This indicates a differentiation toward the outer root sheath epithelium or the companion layer and not toward the inner root sheath, matrix, or cortex...
- Hair keratin pattern in human hair follicles grown in vitroS Thibaut
L Oreal Recherche, Clichy, France
Exp Dermatol 12:160-4. 2003..It also shows that hair follicle integrity was maintained in vitro, both in terms of gross morphology and molecular organization despite the complexity of the keratin expression pattern...
- Expression of hair keratins in the adult nail unit: an immunohistochemical analysis of the onychogenesis in the proximal nail fold, matrix and nail bedC Perrin
Hôpital L Pasteur, Laboratoire d Anatomie Pathologique, 30 Av voie Romaine, B P 69, 06002 Nice, Cedex 1, France
Br J Dermatol 151:362-71. 2004..Recently, the expression profiles of the members of the complex hair keratin family have been determined in the human anagen hair follicle. In contrast, the details of hair keratin expression in the human nail unit are poorly known...