Affiliation: German Sport University
- Endothelial progenitor cells: a new target for the prevention of cardiovascular diseasesKlara Brixius
Department of Molecular and Cellular Sport Medicine, German Sport University Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 13:705-10. 2006..Furthermore, there are several reports on the clinical use of EPCs for the treatment of cardiovascular diseases. We have focused specifically on the influence of physical activity on EPC function...
- Prevention through Activity in Kindergarten Trial (PAKT): a cluster randomised controlled trial to assess the effects of an activity intervention in preschool childrenKristina Roth
University Children s Hospital, Julius Maximilians University Wuerzburg, Josef Schneider Str, 2, 97080 Wuerzburg, Germany
BMC Public Health 10:410. 2010..However, few intervention studies exist in preschool children focussing on an increase in physical activity and motor skills. Proof of positive effects is available but not consistent...
- Preventing and treating obesity in pediatrics through physical activityChristine Graf
Deutsche Sporthochschule Koln, Institut für Bewegungs und Neurowissenschaft, Abteilung für Bewegungs und Gesundheitsförderung, Am Sportpark Müngersdorf 6, 50933 Koln, Germany
EPMA J 2:261-70. 2011..In conclusion, a positive public health approach including political, environmental, sociocultural, and educational strategies offer the best chance of preventing and reducing juvenile obesity...
- [The CHILT I project (Children's Health Interventional Trial). A multicomponent intervention to prevent physical inactivity and overweight in primary schools]C Graf
Abteilung Bewegungs und Gesundheitsförderung am Institut für Bewegungs und Neurowissenschaft, Deutsche Sporthochschule Koln, Am Sportpark Müngersdorf 6, Koln, Germany
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 54:313-21. 2011..To optimize the effects, a consistent and quality assured implementation and the integration of the children's whole environment are warranted...
- [Juvenile obesity and the role of physical activity and inactivity]C Graf
Abteilung Bewegungs und Gesundheitsförderung am Institut für Bewegungs und Neurowissenschaft, Deutsche Sporthochschule Koln, Am Sportpark Müngersdorf 6, 50933, Koln, Deutschland
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 53:699-706. 2010....
- [Therapy of juvenile obesity from the sports medicine/science viewpoint]C Graf
Abteilung Bewegungs und Gesundheitsförderung am Institut für Bewegungs und Neurowissenschaft, Deutsche Sporthochschule Koln, Deutschland
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 54:541-7. 2011..g., via pedometers. At least 60, better 90 and more minutes of physical activity per day are recommended; the use of audiovisual media should be reduced to a minimum (max. 120 minutes)...
- [Application-oriented and quality management in the prevention of illness and promotion of health. Structural model for the planning and implementation of preventative and health-promoting programs]C Graf
Deutsche Sporthochschule, Koln, BRD
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 51:1321-8. 2008..The new model's aim is twofold, first to offer the users a systematic approach with clearly structured planning and secondly to clarify the quality assurance steps required...
- School-based prevention: effects on obesity and physical performance after 4 yearsChristine Graf
Institute of Cardiology and Sports Medicine, German Sport University Cologne, Cologne, Germany
J Sports Sci 26:987-94. 2008..Therefore, preventive intervention in primary school offers the possibility to improve physical performance in children. The prevalence and incidence of obesity were not affected...
- [Overweight and obesity in childhood and adolescence. Is prevention possible?]Christine Graf
Institut für Kreislaufforschung und Sportmedizin, Deutsche Sporthochschule Koln, Koln
Herz 31:507-13. 2006..The implementation of such strategies is only possible with a combined and qualified procedure by a concerted and qualified action of all health care employees based on adequate political structures...
- Who benefits from intervention in, as opposed to screening of, overweight and obese children?Christine Graf
Institute for Cardiology and Sportsmedicine, German Sport University, Cologne, Germany
Cardiol Young 16:474-80. 2006..We analysed differences in changes in anthropometric, cardiovascular and obesity parameters between children who underwent intervention, non-participants in intervention, and controls...
- Data from the StEP TWO programme showing the effect on blood pressure and different parameters for obesity in overweight and obese primary school childrenChristine Graf
Institute for Cardiology and Sportsmedicine, University of Cologne, Germany
Cardiol Young 15:291-8. 2005..Countermeasures are necessary. In this paper, we present the baseline and final data from the StEP TWO programme, a prospective study to prevent overweight and obesity in primary schools...
- Physical activity, leisure habits and obesity in first-grade childrenChristine Graf
Institute for Cardiology and Sports Medicine, Koln, Germany
Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 11:284-90. 2004..In this study, we examine the association between body indices, motor abilities and active (sport) and passive (television/computer) leisure time activities in a cohort of first-grade pupils...
- Influence of intermittent hypoxia interval training on exercise-dependent erythrocyte NOS activation and blood pressure in diabetic patientsDennis Ladage
Institute for Cardiovascular Research and Sport Medicine, Department of Molecular and Cellular Sport Medicine, German Sport University Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 90:1591-8. 2012..Exercise-dependent eryNOS phosphorylation at serine(1177) was increased similar to that described for the endothelium in diabetic patients. EryNOS dysregulation was partially restored after intermittent hypoxia training...
- Relationship between anthropometry and motor abilities at pre-school ageDaniela De Toia
Institute of Movement and Neurosciences, German Sport University Cologne, Germany
Obes Facts 2:221-5. 2009..Thus, this study examined the association between motor abilities and weight status in 1,228 kindergarten children (45.8% female)...
- Progenitor cell number is correlated to physical performance in obese children and young adolescentsChristiane Arnold
Institute of Movement and Neurosciences, German Sport University Cologne, 50933 Cologne, Germany
Cardiol Young 20:381-6. 2010..Higher physical fitness correlates with a lower cardiovascular morbidity and increased endothelial progenitor cells...
- Nebivolol lowers blood pressure and increases weight loss in patients with hypertension and diabetes in regard to ageDennis Ladage
Department of Molecular and Cellular Sport Medicine, Institute of Cardiology and Sport Medicine, German Sport University Cologne, Cologne, Germany
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 56:275-81. 2010..The present study investigates the effect of treatment with the third-generation beta-blocker nebivolol, in female and male patients of different ages...
- Cycling exercise-induced myofiber transitions in skeletal muscle depend on basal fiber type distributionSebastian Gehlert
Department for Molecular and Cellular Sports Medicine, Institute of Cardiology and Sports Medicine, German Sport University Cologne, Am Sportpark Müngersdorf 6, 50933, Cologne, Germany
Eur J Appl Physiol 112:2393-402. 2012..This might be influenced by altered demands of myofiber recruitment in relation to the intensity of muscle contraction but also by its relative abundance in contracting muscle...
- Direct non-medical and indirect costs for families with children with congenital cardiac defects in Germany: a survey from a university centreAndreas U Gerber
Institute for Health Economics and Clinical Epidemiology, University of Cologne, Gleueler Strasse, Cologne, Germany
Cardiol Young 20:178-85. 2010..Parents of children with congenital cardiac disease suffer from psychological stress and financial burdens. These costs have not yet been quantified...
- [Arteriosclerosis -- a lifelong challenge]Christine Graf
Institut für Kreislaufforschung und Sportmedizin, DSHS Köln, Germany
Herz 27:760-4. 2002..Effective prevention of cardiovascular diseases is of utmost importance in Western civilizations as they are on top of mortality statistics...
- Blood pressure-lowering effect of nebivolol in hypertensive patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: the YESTONO studyAndre C Schmidt
Department of Internal Medicine, Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Outpatient Clinic, Berlin, Germany
Clin Drug Investig 27:841-9. 2007..Nebivolol is commonly used for the treatment of hypertension, but to date there has been no study of its use in a large population of hypertensive patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus...