Affiliation: German Pelvic Floor Center
- Nodular goiter and goiter nodules: Where iodine deficiency falls short of explaining the factsM Derwahl
Department of Medicine, St Hedwig Hospital and Humboldt University Berlin, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 109:250-60. 2001....
- Metformin inhibits growth of thyroid carcinoma cells, suppresses self-renewal of derived cancer stem cells, and potentiates the effect of chemotherapeutic agentsGuofang Chen
Department of Medicine, St Hedwig Hospital, Grosse Hamburger Strasse 5 11, D 10115 Berlin, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:E510-20. 2012..Metformin exerts a growth-inhibitory effect by reducing hyperinsulinemia and by a direct cellular action...
- Hyperplasia versus adenoma in endocrine tissues: are they different?Michael Derwahl
Dept Medicine, St Hedwig Kliniken, and Humboldt University Berlin, Grosse Hamburger Str 5 10, D 10115, Berlin, Germany
Trends Endocrinol Metab 13:23-8. 2002....
- Doxorubicin fails to eradicate cancer stem cells derived from anaplastic thyroid carcinoma cells: characterization of resistant cellsXuqin Zheng
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, St Hedwig Hospital and Humboldt University, D 10115 Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Int J Oncol 37:307-15. 2010..Thus an effective treatment of anaplastic thyroid cancer has not only to destroy cancer cells that represent the bulk of tumor cell population but also cancer stem cells that may drive tumor progression...
- Oestrogen action on thyroid progenitor cells: relevant for the pathogenesis of thyroid nodules?Shuhang Xu
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, St Hedwig Hospital, Berlin, Germany
J Endocrinol 218:125-33. 2013..These cells may be the origin of hypofunctioning or non-functioning thyroid nodules in females...
- Stem cells derived from goiters in adults form spheres in response to intense growth stimulation and require thyrotropin for differentiation into thyrocytesLing Lan
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, St Hedwig Hospital and Humboldt University, D 10115 Berlin, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3681-8. 2007..This study aimed to analyze under which conditions quiescent stem cells derived from human goiters can be propagated to outgrow and whether these cells have retained the capacity to differentiate into thyroid cells...
- Expression of endoderm stem cell markers: evidence for the presence of adult stem cells in human thyroid glandsTheodore Thomas
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, St Hedwig Hospital and Humboldt University Berlin, Germany
Thyroid 16:537-44. 2006..Adult stem cells have been detected in several human tissues. The object of this study was to investigate whether they also occur in the human thyroid gland...