- Cloning a part of the ochratoxin A biosynthetic gene cluster of Penicillium nordicum and characterization of the ochratoxin polyketide synthase geneAnja Karolewiez
Federal Research Centre fbr Nutrition and Food, Haid-und-Neu-Str 9, 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany
Syst Appl Microbiol 28:588-95. 2005..verrucosum, but not in other species. An inactivation of the polyketide synthase resulted in strains with abolished capacity to produce ochratoxin A. Expression of the polyketide synthase correlates with ochratoxin A biosynthesis...
- Development of a molecular detection and differentiation system for ochratoxin A producing Penicillium species and its application to analyse the occurrence of Penicillium nordicum in cured meatsCaroline Bogs
Federal Research Centre for Nutrition and Food, Location Karlsruhe, Haid-und-Neu-Str. 9, 76351 Karlsruhe, Germany
Int J Food Microbiol 107:39-47. 2006..nalgiovense strains however produced detectable amounts of ochratoxin A. A more detailed analysis revealed that P. nalgiovense carries similar but non-transcribed sequences to the ochratoxin A biosynthetic genes of P. nordicum...
- Physiological relationship between food preservatives, environmental factors, ochratoxin and otapksPV gene expression by Penicillium verrucosumMarkus Schmidt Heydt
Federal Research Centre for Nutrition and Food, Karlsruhe, Germany
Int J Food Microbiol 119:277-83. 2007..This is the first time that genotypic information has been linked to phenotypic mycotoxin production in relation to such interacting stress factors...
- Inhibition of food-related pathogenic bacteria by god-transformed Penicillium nalgiovense strainsR Geisen
Federal Research Centre for Nutrition, Karlsruhe, Germany
J Food Prot 62:940-3. 1999..If catalase was added to the medium, the inhibitory activity of the transformants was completely inactivated, indicating that the hydrogen peroxide produced was responsible for the antibacterial activity of the transformants...
- Molecular monitoring of environmental conditions influencing the induction of ochratoxin A biosynthesis genes in Penicillium nordicumRolf Geisen
Federal Research Centre for Nutrition and Food, Location Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe, Germany
Mol Nutr Food Res 48:532-40. 2004..nordicum could be observed at the different temperatures, showing highest production at 25 degrees C. The importance of these data are discussed with reference to the natural habitat of P. nordicum...
- Development of a Real Time PCR system for detection of Penicillium nordicum and for monitoring ochratoxin A production in foods by targeting the ochratoxin polyketide synthase geneRolf Geisen
Federal Research Centre for Nutrition and Food, Institute of Hygiene and Toxicology, Karlsruhe, Germany
Syst Appl Microbiol 27:501-7. 2004..According to these results the fragment is obviously part of a polyketide synthase (otapksPN) which seems to be involved in the production of ochratoxin A...
- P. nalgiovense carries a gene which is homologous to the paf gene of P. chrysogenum which codes for an antifungal peptideR Geisen
Federal Research Centre for Nutrition, Karlsruhe, Germany
Int J Food Microbiol 62:95-101. 2000..When P. nalgiovense were grown on plates containing other food-relevant fungi it showed weak antifungal activity...
- Comprehensive molecular system to study the presence, growth and ochratoxin A biosynthesis of Penicillium verrucosum in wheatM Schmidt-Heydt
Max Rubner Institute Federal Research Centre of Nutrition and Food, Karlsruhe, Germany
Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess 25:989-96. 2008..Reasonable amounts of ochratoxin A, however, could not be detected before day 30. This early activation of ochratoxin A related genes was confirmed by microarray analysis...
- Taxonomy and important features of probiotic microorganisms in food and nutritionW H Holzapfel
Institute of Hygiene and Toxicology, BFE Karlsruhe, Germany
Am J Clin Nutr 73:365S-373S. 2001....
- Characterization of Penicillium roqueforti strains used as cheese starter cultures by RAPD typingR Geisen
Federal Research Centre for Nutrition, Institute for Hygiene and Toxicology, Karlsruhe, Germany
Int J Food Microbiol 65:183-91. 2001..In addition, one of the primer (ari1) was able to distinguish between P. roqueforti strains producing larger or smaller numbers of metabolites...
- Stress induction of mycotoxin biosynthesis genes by abiotic factorsMarkus Schmidt-Heydt
Max Rubner Institute, Karlsruhe, Germany
FEMS Microbiol Lett 284:142-9. 2008..Expression of the mycotoxin biosynthesis genes was followed exactly by phenotypic mycotoxin production. This expression profile appears to be generic across the mycotoxigenic fungi examined...
- Monitoring the production of aflatoxin B1 in wheat by measuring the concentration of nor-1 mRNAZsuzsanna Mayer
Faculty of Food Science, , 1118 Budapest, Hungary
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:1154-8. 2003..The numbers of nor-1 gene copies increased at the beginning of the incubation and reached a plateau at day 5. They correlate well with the viable counts albeit at a higher level...
- Quantification of the copy number of nor-1, a gene of the aflatoxin biosynthetic pathway by real-time PCR, and its correlation to the cfu of Aspergillus flavus in foodsZsuzsanna Mayer
Faculty of Food Science, , , 1118 Budapest, Hungary
Int J Food Microbiol 82:143-51. 2003..In general, a good correlation between nor-1 gene copy number and the cfu data was observed; however, the nor-1 copy numbers were always higher. It was shown that the system is specific for nor-1 containing species...
- Molecular characterization of ochratoxin A producing strains of the genus PenicilliumGemma Castella
Dept. Sanitat i Anatomia Animals, , , Spain
Syst Appl Microbiol 25:74-83. 2002..verrucosum or P. nordicum. The homolgy between the ITS sequences however indicates phylogenetic relationship between the two species...
- A microarray for monitoring the production of mycotoxins in foodMarkus Schmidt Heydt
Federal Research Centre for Nutrition and Food, Location Karlsruhe, Haid und Neu Str 9 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany
Int J Food Microbiol 117:131-40. 2007..An expression pattern indicative for trichothecene biosynthesis could be identified...