- [Options for surgical treatment of malignant bone tumors]C Gebert
Klinik und Poliklinik für Allgemeine Orthopädie, Universitatsklinikum Munster
Chirurg 73:1162-9. 2002..Surgical techniques and possible complications of the most common procedures in tumor surgery are described...
- The effect of rotationplasty on the ankle joint: long-term resultsC Gebert
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
Prosthet Orthot Int 30:316-23. 2006..The results suggest that the foot is able to adapt to the load changes after this procedure and that rotationplasty does not cause an inevitable arthrosis in the ankle joint...
- Primary multifocal osseous Hodgkin disease: a case report and review of the literatureC Gebert
Department of Orthopedics, University of Muenster, Albert Schweitzer Strasse 33, 48149 Muenster, Germany
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 131:163-8. 2005..Therefore, the histologic diagnosis of osseous HD can be problematic. We present a rare case of multifocal osseous HD and a review the literature with special emphasis on treatment and prognosis...
- Chondroblastoma of the acromion mimicking fibrous dysplasiaCarsten Gebert
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital, Westfalian Wilhelms University of Munster, Germany
Acta Orthop Belg 70:616-8. 2004..This tumour is rare in flat bones, and may mimic other benign or malignant lesions. It is therefore essential to perform a biopsy in order to obtain a definite diagnosis. The acromion was excised, and replaced with an iliac crest graft...
- Free vascularized fibular grafting for reconstruction after tumor resection in the upper extremityC Gebert
Department of Orthopaedics, Westfaelische Wilhelms Universitaet Muenster, Albert Schweitzer Strasse, Muenster, Germany
J Surg Oncol 94:114-27. 2006..Limb salvage is viable in the majority of patients with malignant bone tumors, but especially in case of extensive tumors and bad soft tissue conditions, it is challenging in upper extremity...
- Hip transposition as a universal surgical procedure for periacetabular tumors of the pelvisCarsten Gebert
Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital Muenster, Muenster, Germany
J Surg Oncol 99:169-72. 2009..The following article gives an overview of the technique and the indications of different types of hip transposition, which were developed from the first procedure, described and published by Winkelmann in 1988...
- Proximal fibula resection in the treatment of bone tumoursRalf Dieckmann
Department of Orthopaedics and Tumour Orthopaedics, University Hospital of Munster, Albert Schweitzer Straße 33, 48149, Munster, Germany
Int Orthop 35:1689-94. 2011..We present a large study of patients with proximal fibula resection. Moreover we describe a new classification system for tumour resection of the proximal fibula independent of the tumour differentiation...
- Endoprosthetic reconstruction in 250 patients with sarcomaGeorg Gosheger
Department of Orthopaedics, Universitat Munster, Albert Schweitzer Strasse 33, 48149 Munster, Germany
Clin Orthop Relat Res 450:164-71. 2006..Our results suggest limb salvage with the Mutars endoprosthesis is successful with good functional results...
- Improvement of the soft socket after rotationplasty: a single case studyMartin Wessling
Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital, University of Muenster, Muenster, Germany
Prosthet Orthot Int 33:10-6. 2009..The study has shown that a modification of the heel bench can considerably improve pressure distribution. An increase of the load bearing area appears to enable the skin to compensate even intensive strain during athletic activities...
- Reconstruction after wide resection of the entire distal fibula in malignant bone tumoursRalf Dieckmann
Department of Orthopaedics and Tumour Orthopaedics, University Hospital Muenster, Muenster, Germany
Int Orthop 35:87-92. 2011..The additional arthrodesis of the subtalar joint was not associated with worse functional results in the MSTS and TESS scores...
- Characteristics and outcome of infections associated with tumor endoprosthesesJ Hardes
Department of Orthopedics, Westfaelische Wilhelms Universitaet Muenster, Albert Schweitzer Strasse 33, 48149 Muenster, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 126:289-96. 2006..The purpose of the current retrospective study was to describe the course of infection in patients with a tumor endoprosthesis and the determination of risk factors associated with failed limb salvage...
- The primary stability of pelvic reconstruction after partial supraacetabular pelvic resection due to malignant tumours of the human pelvis: a biomechanical in vitro studyMirko Aach
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital Muenster, Albert Schweitzer Str 33, D 48149 Muenster, Germany Department of Spinal Cord Injuries, University Hospital Bergmannsheil Bochum, Burkle de la Camp Platz 1, D 44789 Bochum, Germany
Med Eng Phys 35:1731-5. 2013..The aim of this study was to gather data on primary stability of five different types of reconstruction...
- The primary stability of the hip transposition type IIb: a biomechanical in vitro studyMartin Wessling
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital Muenster, Albert Schweitzer Str 33, D 48149 Muenster, Germany
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 24:361-5. 2009..The aim of this study was to test the primary stability reliably with the help of a model and to reveal possible differences in stability between currently used anchor systems (TwinFix 6.5 and MITEK SuperAnchor)...
- Total tibial endoprosthesis including ankle joint and knee joint replacement in a patient with Ewing sarcomaGeorg Gosheger
Department of Orthopedics, University of Muenster, Germany
Acta Orthop 76:944-6. 2005
- Hip transposition as a limb salvage procedure following the resection of periacetabular tumorsCarsten Gebert
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital Muenster, Muenster, Germany
J Surg Oncol 103:269-75. 2011..This retrospective study serves to analyze clinical and functional outcome of the new surgical technique of hip transposition...
- Lack of toxicological side-effects in silver-coated megaprostheses in humansJendrik Hardes
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Muenster, Albert Schweitzer Street 33, 48149 Muenster, Germany
Biomaterials 28:2869-75. 2007..In conclusion the silver-coated megaprosthesis allowed a release of silver without showing any local or systemic side-effects...
- Biological importance of a polymorphic CA sequence within intron 1 of the epidermal growth factor receptor gene (EGFR) in high grade central osteosarcomasChristian Kersting
Institute of Pathology, University of Muenster, Muenster, Germany
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 47:657-64. 2008....
- Giant cell tumor of bone: treatment and outcome of 214 casesMaurice Balke
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Muenster, Muenster, Germany
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 134:969-78. 2008..Two hundred and fourteen patients with benign giant cell tumor of bone (GCTB), treated from 1980 to 2007 at the Department of Orthopedics of the University of Muenster (Germany), were analyzed in a retrospective study...
- The potential of comparative genomic hybridization as a tool in the differential diagnosis of matrix-producing bone lesionsCarsten Gebert
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Muenster University Hospital, Muenster, Germany
Int J Surg Pathol 14:187-92. 2006..In contrast benign tumors or tumor-like lesions did not reveal any chromosomal alterations. Comparative genomic hybridization is a useful adjunct in the complicated differential diagnostic algorithms of matrix-producing bone tumors...
- Morphologic characterization of osteosarcoma growth on the chick chorioallantoic membraneMaurice Balke
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Muenster, Muenster, Germany
BMC Res Notes 3:58. 2010..We therefore screened eight osteosarcoma cell lines for their ability to form vascularized tumours on the CAM...
- The influence of elementary silver versus titanium on osteoblasts behaviour in vitro using human osteosarcoma cell linesJendrik Hardes
Department of Orthopaedics, University Clinics of Muenster, Albert Schweitzer Street 33, 49149 Muenster, Germany
Sarcoma 2007:26539. 2007..In contrast, it seems to be superior to Ti-6 Al-4V concerning the stimulation of osteogenic maturation at these concentrations, whereas at higher doses it causes the known cytotoxic properties...
- Sonographic findings of hibernoma. A report of two casesJendrik Hardes
Department of Orthopedics, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat, Albert Schweitzer Str 33, 48149 Munster, Germany
J Clin Ultrasound 33:298-301. 2005..As a rule, malignancy cannot be excluded safely by imaging modalities, and a preoperative biopsy should be performed. Although rare, hibernomas should be considered in the differential diagnosis of lipomatous soft-tissue tumors...
- Rotationplasty in the elderlyJendrik Hardes
Department of Orthopaedics, Westfälische Wilhelms University Münster, Albert Schweitzer Strasse 33, 48149 Munster, Germany
Sarcoma 2008:402378. 2008..However, limb-salvage surgery should be preferred whenever possible...
- Epidermal growth factor receptor expression in high-grade osteosarcomas is associated with a good clinical outcomeChristian Kersting
Institute of Pathology, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
Clin Cancer Res 13:2998-3005. 2007..We therefore aimed to explore the EGFR expression and gene mutation status in high-grade osteosarcomas...
- Reconstruction of the proximal humerus after wide resection of tumoursR W Rödl
Department of Orthopaedics, Munster University Hospital, Germany
J Bone Joint Surg Br 84:1004-8. 2002..Our findings indicate that the use of a tumour prosthesis is the most reliable limb-salvage procedure for the proximal humerus. The clavicula pro humero is an appropriate procedure if a prosthesis cannot be used...
- [Rotationplasty in the surgical treatment plan of primary malignant bone tumors. Possibilities and limits]J Hardes
Klinik und Poliklinik für Allgemeine Orthopädie, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat, Munster
Orthopade 32:965-70. 2003..Furthermore, rotationplasty can be used in patients in whom a limb-salvage procedure failed because of infection or repeated changes of the endoprosthesis...
- Endoprosthetic replacement of the humerus combined with trapezius and latissimus dorsi transfer: a report of three patientsG Gosheger
Department of Orthopaedics, Westfaelische Wilhelms Universitaet Muenster, Albert Schweitzer Strasse 33, 48149, Munster, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 125:62-5. 2005..To improve the functional outcome after proximal and/or total humerus replacement, we combined the surgical procedures described by Bateman and Gerber...
- Stump lengthening after hip disarticulation using a modular endoprosthesis in 5 patientsG Gosheger
Department of Orthopaedics, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat, Munster, Germany
Acta Orthop Scand 72:533-6. 2001..A trevira tube was used for reconstruction of the joint capsule and fixation of soft tissues. We performed this procedure in 5 patients who had a good functional outcome...
- [Cartilage tumours of the bone. Diagnosis and therapy]A Streitbuerger
Klinik und Poliklinik für Allgemeine Orthopädie, Universitatsklinikum Munster, Albert Schweitzer Strasse 33, 48149 Munster
Orthopade 35:871-81; quiz 882. 2006..This article discusses the problems in the diagnosis and treatment of cartilage tumours from an orthopaedic point of view...
- Bisphosphonate treatment of aggressive primary, recurrent and metastatic Giant Cell Tumour of BoneMaurice Balke
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
BMC Cancer 10:462. 2010..GCTB frequently recurs and can produce metastatic lesions in the lungs. Bisphosphonates are anti-resorptive drugs which act mainly on osteoclasts...
- Functional results and quality of life after treatment of pelvic sarcomas involving the acetabulumC Hoffmann
Department of Orthopedics, University of Munster, Albert Schweitzer Strasse 33, 48129 Munster, Germany
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:575-82. 2006..The purpose of this study was to determine the impact of surgery on health-related quality of life and function after acetabular resection...
- Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of an osteoid osteoma of the scapula: a case reportBjörn Marquardt
Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital of Muenster, Germany
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 14:447-9. 2005