Affiliation: Friedrich Schiller University
- Dextran-70 to modulate inflammatory response after cardiopulmonary bypass: potential for a novel approach?Tobias Schuerholz
Crit Care 11:163. 2007..In this context, Gombocz and colleagues investigated the potential anti-inflammatory effect of dextran-70. Their results suggest that compared to gelatine, dextran-70 reduces the inflammatory response in patients after CPB...
- Urosepsis: from the intensive care viewpointG Marx
Klinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivtherapie, Klinikum der Friedrich Schiller Universität, Erlanger Allee 101, Jena, Germany
Int J Antimicrob Agents 31:S79-84. 2008..Time to initiation of therapy is crucial for surviving sepsis. Implementing new medical evidence in this context into daily clinical intensive care remains a major hurdle...
- Comparison of cardiac output measurements by arterial trans-cardiopulmonary and pulmonary arterial thermodilution with direct Fick in septic shockG Marx
Friedrich Schiller University, Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Jena, Germany
Eur J Anaesthesiol 22:129-34. 2005....
- [New approaches to intensive care for sepsis]G Marx
Klinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivtherapie, Klinikum der Friedrich Schiller Universitat Jena
Chirurg 76:845-55. 2005....
- Blood volume measurements using an integrated fiberoptic monitoring system in a porcine septic shock modelGernot Marx
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Friedrich Schiller University of Jena Germany, Erlanger Allee 101, D 07747 Jena, Germany
Crit Care Med 34:1483-8. 2006..To compare the accuracy of an integrated fiberoptic monitoring system using transpulmonary thermo-dye dilution technique to measure blood volume (BV) with standard method using chromium-51-tagged erythrocytes in septic shock...
- Venous oximetryGernot Marx
Klinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivtherapie, Klinikum der Friedrich Schiller Universität, Jena, Germany
Curr Opin Crit Care 12:263-8. 2006..This review discusses recent data on the impact of using venous oximetry by obtaining mixed venous oxygen saturation or central venous oxygen saturation as useful monitoring parameters in critically ill patients...
- [Intensive insulin therapy in critically ill patients--contra]Gernot Marx
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 131:2481. 2006
- Acute short-term hyperglycemia impairs platelet receptor expression even in healthy adults in vitroTobias Schuerholz
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Med Sci Monit 14:BR294-8. 2008..The aim of the present study was to examine effects of an acute hyperglycemia on platelet receptor expression in non-diabetic healthy individuals in vitro...
- Characterization of buccal microvascular response in patients with septic shockYasser Sakr
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Friedrich Schiller University Hospital, Jena, Germany
Eur J Anaesthesiol 27:388-94. 2010..The aim of the present study was to characterize the buccal microvascular response in patients with septic shock using combined laser Doppler flowmetry/visual light spectroscopy measurements...
- Effect of Drotrecogin alfa (activated) on platelet receptor expression in vitroTobias Schuerholz
Clinic of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Friedrich Schiller University, Erlanger Alle 101, D 07743 Jena, Germany
Platelets 18:373-8. 2007..Thus, a direct drug-platelet interaction seems unlikely...
- Hydroxyethylstarch impairs renal function and induces interstitial proliferation, macrophage infiltration and tubular damage in an isolated renal perfusion modelLars Hüter
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University of Jena, Erlanger Allee, Jena, Germany
Crit Care 13:R23. 2009..The aim of the study was to evaluate some of the underlying pathomechanisms of hydroxyethylstarch (HES) induced adverse effects on renal function using 24 porcine kidneys in an isolated perfusion model over six hours...
- Successful treatment of an aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma associated with acute respiratory insufficiency using extracorporeal membrane oxygenationAnas Aboud
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:173-4. 2008..We report a case of successful extracorporeal membrane oxygenation treatment in a 43-year-old woman with acute respiratory insufficiency due to a huge mediastinal non-Hodgkin's tumor...
- Reliability of continuous cardiac output determination by pulse-contour analysis in porcine septic shockT Schuerholz
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:407-13. 2006..Pulse-contour analysis represents a technique for cardiac output (CO)-measurement and allows continuously monitoring trends in CO. We evaluated reliability of pulse-contour CO (COpc) in septic shock...
- Terminal complement complex in septic shock with capillary leakage: marker of complement activation?T Schuerholz
Friedrich Schiller University, Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Jena, Germany
Eur J Anaesthesiol 22:541-7. 2005..The aim of this study was to evaluate the value of terminal complement complex (C5b-9) plasma levels as a marker for complement activation in septic shock with concomitant capillary leak syndrome...
- Exanthema in Legionnaires' disease mimicking a severe cutaneous drug reactionM Ziemer
Department of Dermatology, Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, Jena, Germany
Clin Exp Dermatol 34:e72-4. 2009..L. pneumophila infection was verified during the course of the disease...
- Hydrocortisone does not affect major platelet receptors in inflammation in vitroTobias Schuerholz
Clinic of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Erlanger Allee 101, D 07747 Jena, Germany
Steroids 72:609-13. 2007..The aim of the present study was to examine effects of hydrocortisone on platelet receptor expression in healthy individuals and septic patients in vitro...
- Attenuation of capillary leakage by hydroxyethyl starch (130/0.42) in a porcine model of septic shockGernot Marx
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Friedrich-Schiller University of Jena, Jena, Germany
Crit Care Med 34:3005-10. 2006..Systemic oxygenation was not significantly altered in either group. CONCLUSIONS: In this porcine septic shock model, HES 130/0.42 attenuated capillary leakage significantly more effectively than HES 200/0.5...
- ADAMTS13 activity is decreased in a septic porcine model. Significance for glomerular thrombus depositionClemens L Bockmeyer
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Jena University Hospital, Jena, Germany
Thromb Haemost 105:145-53. 2011..Therefore, this porcine model seems to be appropriate for performing functional and therapeutic studies in sepsis-associated ADAMTS13 deficiency...
- Effect of empirical treatment with moxifloxacin and meropenem vs meropenem on sepsis-related organ dysfunction in patients with severe sepsis: a randomized trialFrank M Brunkhorst
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
JAMA 307:2390-9. 2012..Early appropriate antimicrobial therapy leads to lower mortality rates associated with severe sepsis. The role of empirical combination therapy comprising at least 2 antibiotics of different mechanisms remains controversial...
- Impact of stable PGI₂ analog iloprost on early graft viability after liver transplantation: a pilot studyErik Bärthel
Department of General, Visceral and Vascular Surgery, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Clin Transplant 26:E38-47. 2012..The aim of this study was to analyze the effect of the continuously administered prostaglandin I(2) analog iloprost on allograft function after LT...
- The value of rotation thromboelastometry to monitor disturbed perioperative haemostasis and bleeding risk in patients with cardiopulmonary bypassMike Reinhöfer
Institute for Transfusion Medicine, Clinic for Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Division for Cardiothoracic Surgery, University Hospital Jena, Jena, Germany
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 19:212-9. 2008..In contrast, intraoperative administration of red blood cells impaired haemostasis. ROTEM can provide a more detailed diagnostic basis enabling a focused therapy to cardiac surgery patients with high bleeding risk...
- Effects of hydroxyethyl starch administration on renal function in critically ill patientsY Sakr
Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Br J Anaesth 98:216-24. 2007..We investigated the effect of HES administration on renal function in critically ill patients enrolled in a large multicentre observational European study...
- Management of sepsisT Schuerholz
Clinic of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Minerva Anestesiol 74:181-95. 2008..High quality management tools are necessary to bring evidence-based therapy to the bedside. With respect to recently published studies, the importance of the time taken to improve the outcome of sepsis can not be overemphasized...
- Effects of staff training on the care of mechanically ventilated patients: a prospective cohort studyF Bloos
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Jena, Erlanger Allee 101, 07747 Jena, Germany
Br J Anaesth 103:232-7. 2009..The goal of this study was to assess whether staff training in pre-defined interventions (bundle) improves the quality of care in mechanically ventilated patients...
- Bioequivalence comparison between hydroxyethyl starch 130/0.42/6 : 1 and hydroxyethyl starch 130/0.4/9 : 1G Lehmann
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Rhoen Hospital Bad Berka, Kapellendorf, Germany
Drugs R D 8:229-40. 2007..42/6 : 1), altered in molar substitution and C2/C6 ratio, is bioequivalent to the former standard HES preparation (130/0.4/9 : 1)...
- [Early evaluation of neurological prognosis and therapy after cardiopulmonary resuscitation: current opportunities and clinical implications]A Ragoschke Schumm
Institut für Diagnostische und Interventionelle Radiologie, Jena, Germany
Nervenarzt 78:937-43. 2007..In summary, the prognosis in patients with cerebral anoxy and cardiopulmonary resuscitation remains poor. Treatment with hypothermia for 24 h is recommended...
- Continuous monitoring of central venous oxygen saturation in neonates and small infants: in vitro evaluation of two different oximetry cathetersDirk Huber
Zentrum Anasthesiologie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Germany
Paediatr Anaesth 16:1257-61. 2006..Therefore, we compared oxygen saturation measurements with thin fiberoptic oximetry catheters and standard blood gas oximetry in an in vitro setting...
- Resuscitation from septic shock with capillary leakage: hydroxyethyl starch (130 kd), but not Ringer's solution maintains plasma volume and systemic oxygenationGernot Marx
Department of Anaesthesia, University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 3GA, United Kingdom
Shock 21:336-41. 2004..40% +/- 14%, P < 0.05) than RS animals. In this porcine septic shock model with concomitant capillary leakage syndrome, resuscitation with HES 130 kD but not RS could maintain PV and preserve systemic hemodynamics and oxygenation...
- Hemodynamic changes during acute elevation of intra-abdominal pressure in rabbitsRobert Sumpelmann
Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Zentrum Anasthesiologie, Hannover, Germany
Paediatr Anaesth 16:1262-7. 2006..The aim of this study was to investigate hemodynamic changes during elevation of IAP using an experimental setting, which mirrors anatomical and physiological conditions of neonates and small infants as closely as possible...
- Correlation of oxygen delivery with central venous oxygen saturation, mean arterial pressure and heart rate in pigletsWilhelm A Osthaus
Zentrum Anasthesiologie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Paediatr Anaesth 16:944-7. 2006..Therefore, we investigated the correlation of ScvO(2) with cardiac index (CI) and DO(2) and in comparison the more common monitored parameters heart rate (HR) and mean arterial pressure (MAP) with DO(2) in an animal experimental setting...
- Activated protein C induces the release of microparticle-associated endothelial protein C receptorMargarita Pérez-Casal
Roald Dahl Haemostasis and Thrombosis Centre and Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool L7 8XP, UK
Blood 105:1515-22. 2005..This novel observation could provide new insights into the consequences of APC therapy in the septic patient...