Affiliation: Friedrich Schiller University
- Methodological problems in FMRI studies on acupuncture: a critical review with special emphasis on visual and auditory cortex activationsFlorian Beissner
Brain Imaging Center, Goethe University, Frankfurt, Neuroradiology, Schleusenweg 2 16, 60528 Frankfurt, Germany
Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011:607637. 2011..Finally, we try to offer solutions for these problems where possible...
- Advances in functional magnetic resonance imaging of the human brainstemFlorian Beissner
Pain and Autonomics Integrative Research PAIR, Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Hospital Jena, Germany Athinoula A Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA, USA Electronic address
Neuroimage 86:91-8. 2014..This allowed us to identify for the first time intrinsic connectivity networks in the human brainstem and to map brainstem-cortical connectivity purely based on functionally defined regions of interest. ..
- fMRI of the brainstem using dual-echo EPIFlorian Beissner
Pain and Autonomics Integrative Research PAIR, Clinic of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Neuroimage 55:1593-9. 2011..5mm pre-smoothing. All these methods can be recommended for normalization and smoothing when analyzing fMRI data of the brainstem acquired by cardiac-gated dual-echo EPI...
- Acupuncture--deep pain with an autonomic dimension?Florian Beissner
Pain and Autonomics Integrative Research PAIR, University Hospital of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Jena, Germany
Neuroimage 60:653-60. 2012..Our findings indicate that acupuncture may be a special pain stimulus, whose autonomic concomitants could explain its non-analgesic effects and in some cases even have a therapeutic potential...
- The autonomic brain: an activation likelihood estimation meta-analysis for central processing of autonomic functionFlorian Beissner
Pain and Autonomics Integrative Research, Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Jena University Hospital, 07743 Jena, Germany
J Neurosci 33:10503-11. 2013..Hence, central processing of autonomic function does not simply involve a monolithic network of brain regions, instead showing elements of task and division specificity...
- Dual-echo EPI for non-equilibrium fMRI - implications of different echo combinations and masking proceduresFlorian Beissner
Brain Imaging Center, Frankfurt, Germany Department of Neurology, Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Neuroimage 52:524-31. 2010..This method was most beneficial in areas close to the surface of the brain or adjacent to the ventricles and may be especially relevant to brainstem fMRI...
- Forgotten features of head zones and their relation to diagnostically relevant acupuncture pointsFlorian Beissner
Brain Imaging Center, Goethe University, Schleusenweg 2 16, 60528 Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011:240653. 2011..Furthermore, the fact that Chinese medicine uses Mu and Shu points not only diagnostically but also therapeutically may give us new insights into the underlying mechanisms of acupuncture...