Affiliation: Frankfurt am Main
- Travel-acquired dengue infection: clinical spectrum and diagnostic aspectsC Stephan
Clinic for Internal Medicine, Dept of Infectious Disease, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Infection 30:225-8. 2002..Only few studies focus on clinical manifestations and serological findings in primarily nonimmune individuals...
- Saquinavir drug exposure is not impaired by the boosted double protease inhibitor combination of lopinavir/ritonavirChristoph Stephan
Division of Infectious Disease, and Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Pharma Center, JW Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt, Germany
AIDS 18:503-8. 2004..To assess the pharmacokinetic interaction of saquinavir and lopinavir/ritonavir...
- Haemolytic anaemia after nucleotide antiretroviral treatment discontinuation in a chronic hepatitis B-virus co-infected AIDS patientChristoph Stephan
AIDS 18:1613-4. 2004
- Impact of tenofovir-containing antiretroviral therapy on chronic hepatitis B in a cohort co-infected with human immunodeficiency virusChristoph Stephan
HIV Research and Treatment Unit at Center for Internal Medicine, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital Frankfurt, Germany
J Antimicrob Chemother 56:1087-93. 2005..We studied the impact of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate, given as an antiretroviral medication, on patients with chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) co-infection...
- The LOPSAQ study: 48 week analysis of a boosted double protease inhibitor regimen containing lopinavir/ritonavir plus saquinavir without additional antiretroviral therapySchlomo Staszewski
Medical HIV Treatment and Research Unit, Hospital of the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
J Antimicrob Chemother 58:1024-30. 2006....
- Impact of baseline HIV-1 RNA levels on initial highly active antiretroviral therapy outcome: a meta-analysis of 12,370 patients in 21 clinical trials*C Stephan
Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt, Germany
HIV Med 14:284-92. 2013..Individual randomized trials of first-line antiretroviral treatment do not consistently show an association between higher baseline HIV-1 RNA and lower efficacy...
- Impact of HIV-1 replication on immunological evolution during long-term dual-boosted protease inhibitor therapyChristoph Stephan
Infectious Diseases Unit at Medical Department No 2, Hospital of the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Med Microbiol Immunol 202:117-24. 2013..Viral detection >200 copies/ml was associated with decreasing CD4-cell slopes and emergence of major mutations, supporting this as benchmark for virological failure definition on PI therapy...
- Virological efficacy and safety of antiretroviral therapy-switch to atazanavir-based regimen: a review of the literatureChristoph Stephan
Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital Frankfurt, Germany Center for Internal Medicine, Infectious Diseases Unit, Theodor Stern Kai 7, Frankfurt, Germany
Expert Opin Pharmacother 13:2355-67. 2012..Patients on antiretroviral combination therapy, experiencing drug toxicity or inconvenience, require alternative options maintaining virological suppression. The protease inhibitor atazanavir is a promising candidate...
- [Leptospirosis after a staff outing]C Stephan
Schwerpunkt Infektiologie, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt am Main
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 125:623-7. 2000..About 18 days before they had been together on a boat rafting tour when the boat capsized when they had fallen into a river in high flood...
- Safety and efficacy after switch to a saquinavir-containing antiretroviral regimen in protease inhibitor pretreated HIV-positive patientsC Stephan
Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Eur J Med Res 15:369-76. 2010..This analysis presents data from the German subgroup of protease inhibitor (PI)-pretreated, but SQV-naive patients...
- Intensification of a failing regimen with zidovudine may cause sustained virologic suppression in the presence of resensitising mutations including K65RC Stephan
HIVCENTER, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital, Department of Internal Medicine II, Theodor Stern Kai 7, Frankfurt, Germany
J Infect 61:346-50. 2010..The reverse transcriptase (RT)-mutation K65R limits further therapeutic options and has been selected by unfavorable RT-combinations, e.g. tenofovir in combination with abacavir and/or didanosine...
- Comparing QuantiFERON-tuberculosis gold, T-SPOT tuberculosis and tuberculin skin test in HIV-infected individuals from a low prevalence tuberculosis countryChristoph Stephan
HIVCENTER at Medical Department II, Hospital of Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
AIDS 22:2471-9. 2008..To evaluate the interferon-gamma-releasing assays QuantiFERON-tuberculosis (TB) Gold and T-SPOT.TB in addition to tuberculin skin test (TST) for diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infection in HIV patients...
- [No obvious difference in Streptococcus pneumoniae antibiotic resistance profiles--isolates from HIV-positive and HIV-negative patients]Christoph Stephan
Schwerpunkt Therapie der HIV Infektion, Zentrum der Inneren Medizin, Klinik 2 Hämatologie Onkologie, Rheumatologie und Infektiologie, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität Frankfurt Main, Frankfurt Main
Med Klin (Munich) 103:69-74. 2008..The purpose of this case-control study was to determine the susceptibility patterns of pneumococci from adult patients in relation to their HIV status and to compare both patient groups...
- Dose reduction effective in alleviating symptoms of saquinavir toxicityC Stephan
Medical HIV Treatment and Research Unit, Hospital of the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Department of Internal Medicine II, Frankfurt, Germany
Int J STD AIDS 18:81-4. 2007..Although delayed autoinduction is not well established as a reason for adverse events in saquinavir therapy, this observation may be confirmed in the near future by increased use...
- Quadruple nucleos(t)ide reverse transcriptase inhibitors-only regimen of tenofovir plus zidovudine/lamivudine/abacavir in heavily pre-treated HIV-1 infected patients: salvage therapy or backbone only?Christoph Stephan
Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital, HIV Treatment and Clinical Research Unit, Medical Department II, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Curr HIV Res 7:320-6. 2009..We investigated the virologic and immunologic responses to a mono-class, nucleoside/nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitor - combination therapy consisting of tenofovir and zidovudine/lamivudine/abacavir in therapy experienced patients...
- Atazanavir plasma concentrations are impaired in HIV-1-infected adults simultaneously taking a methadone oral solution in a once-daily observed therapy settingAnnette Haberl
HIVCENTER, Medical Clinics II, J W Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 66:375-81. 2010..We performed a matched-pairs analysis on 24 patients (12 men/women) taking atazanavir/ritonavir 300/100 mg daily plus reverse transcriptase inhibitors, with (n = 12) or without (n = 12) methadone co-administration...
- Decrease of atazanavir and lopinavir plasma concentrations in a boosted double human immunodeficiency virus protease inhibitor salvage regimenNils von Hentig
Pharmazentrum frankfurt ZAFES, Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:2273-5. 2008..Therefore, patients should be selected carefully for this regimen and frequent clinical and therapeutic drug monitoring is strongly advised...
- Pharmacokinetics, safety and efficacy of saquinavir/ ritonavir 1,000/100 mg twice daily as HIV type-1 therapy and transmission prophylaxis in pregnancyNils von Hentig
Pharmazentrum Frankfurt, Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Antivir Ther 13:1039-46. 2008....
- Immune response after two doses of the novel split virion, adjuvanted pandemic H1N1 influenza A vaccine in HIV-1-infected patientsMarkus Bickel
HIVCENTER, Clinic of the Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Clin Infect Dis 52:122-7. 2011..gov NCT01017172)...
- Comparison of drug resistance scores for tipranavir in protease inhibitor-naive patients infected with HIV-1 B and non-B subtypesMartin Stürmer
Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital, Institute for Medical Virology, Frankfurt, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:5362-6. 2011..Current algorithms appear suboptimal for interpretation of resistance to tipranavir in non-B subtypes; increased scores might reflect algorithm bias rather than "natural resistance."..
- Low rate of seroconversion after vaccination with a split virion, adjuvanted pandemic H1N1 influenza vaccine in HIV-1-infected patientsMarkus Bickel
HIVCENTER, Frankfurt, Germany
AIDS 24:F31-5. 2010..To determine rates of seroconversion after single vaccination with a novel split virion, inactivated, adjuvanted pandemic H1N1 influenza vaccine (A/California/7/2009) in HIV-1-infected patients (ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01017172)...
- Lopinavir/ritonavir pharmacokinetics, efficacy, and safety in HIV and hepatitis B or C coinfected adults without symptoms of hepatic impairmentPavel Khaykin
HIVCENTER, Department of Internal Medicine II, and Institute of Medical Virology, Hospital of the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt and HIV Laboratory, Therapia GmbH, c o Auguste Viktoria Hospital, Berlin, Germany
Ther Drug Monit 36:192-201. 2014..Our objective was to investigate whether hepatitis coinfection without clinical signs of hepatic impairment is a cofactor altering lopinavir pharmacokinetics and influencing therapy outcome...
- Severe CNS side-effect and persistent high efavirenz plasma levels in a patient with HIV/HCV coinfection and liver cirrhosisMarkus Bickel
HIV Treatment and Research Unit, JW Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Scand J Infect Dis 37:520-2. 2005..Plasma levels of efavirenz were 10 times the upper limit and remained elevated (at twice the upper limit) 4 weeks after cessation of therapy. Efavirenz resistance (K103N) developed and was probably due to 'functional' monotherapy...
- Experience with tenofovir disoproxil fumarate for antiretroviral therapyChristoph Stephan
Hospital of the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Medical HIV Treatment and Research Unit, Department of Internal Medicine II, Frankfurt, Germany
Expert Opin Pharmacother 9:1197-209. 2008..The following year the HIV indication was expanded to include antiretroviral treatment naïve adults over 18 years of age...
- Immune response after a single dose of the 2010/11 trivalent, seasonal influenza vaccine in HIV-1-infected patients and healthy controlsMarkus Bickel
Department of Infectious Disease, JW Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
HIV Clin Trials 14:175-81. 2013..Immune response rates following influenza vaccination are often lower in HIV-infected individuals. Low vitamin D levels were correlated with weak immune response in cancer patients and are known to be lower in HIV-infected patients...
- The Protease Inhibitor Transfer Study (PROTRA 1): abacavir and efavirenz in combination as a substitute for a protease inhibitor in heavily pretreated HIV-1-infected patients with undetectable plasma viral loadM Bickel
Department of Infectious Disease, HIV Treatment and Research Unit, JW Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
HIV Med 6:179-84. 2005....
- Once-daily treatment with saquinavir mesylate (2000 mg) and ritonavir (100 mg) together with a fixed-dose combination of abacavir/lamivudine (600/300 mg) or tenofovir/emtricitabine (245/200 mg) in HIV-1-infected patientsM Bickel
HIVCENTER, JW Goethe University Hospital, Theodor Stern Kai 7, Frankfurt, Germany
J Antimicrob Chemother 64:1260-4. 2009..To investigate the feasibility and pharmacokinetics of a once-daily regimen of 2000 mg saquinavir mesylate boosted with 100 mg ritonavir...
- Primary cytomegalovirus infection in an outpatient setting--laboratory markers and clinical aspectsG Just-Nübling
Dept of Infectiology, Medical Clinic III, J W Goethe University Hospital, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Infection 31:318-23. 2003..Occasionally, primary cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection may give rise to more or less severe clinical illness in immunocompetent adults. We retrospectively analyzed cases of acute CMV infection in medical outpatients...
- Both long-term HIV infection and highly active antiretroviral therapy are independent risk factors for early carotid atherosclerosisM W Lorenz
Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Hospital, Department of Neurology, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Atherosclerosis 196:720-6. 2008..We investigated the relationship between HIV infection, antiretroviral medication and ultrasound evidence of early atherosclerosis in the context of vascular risk factors...
- Renal AA-amyloidosis in intravenous drug users--a role for HIV-infection?Oliver Jung
Department of Infectious Disease, Goethe University, Frankfurt Main, Germany
BMC Nephrol 13:151. 2012..Chronic renal disease is a serious complication of long-term intravenous drug use (IVDU). Recent reports have postulated a changing pattern of underlying nephropathy over the last decades...
- A standardized, comprehensive magnetic resonance imaging protocol for rapid and precise quantification of HIV-1-associated lipodystrophyM Bickel
HIV Medical Treatment and Research Unit, JW Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
HIV Med 8:413-9. 2007..Although multiple methods have been proposed, there is no current gold standard for assessing HIV-1-associated lipodystrophy...
- Winterbottom's sign and hypertrophic cardiomyopathyChristoph Stephan
Zentrum der Inneren Medizin, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt, Germany
Scand J Infect Dis 34:544-5. 2002..He made a full recovery after intravenous administration of eflornithine, a drug that is no longer distributed for antiparasitic indications for pharmacoeconomic reasons...