Affiliation: Frankfurt am Main
- Tocotrienols: constitutional effects in aging and diseaseSebastian Schaffer
Institute of Pharmacology ZAFES Member, Biocenter Niederursel, University of Frankfurt, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
J Nutr 135:151-4. 2005..This review summarizes the main antioxidant and nonantioxidant effects of tocotrienols and assesses their potential as health-maintaining compounds...
- Cytoprotective effects of olive mill wastewater extract and its main constituent hydroxytyrosol in PC12 cellsSebastian Schaffer
Institute of Pharmacology, Biocenter Niederursel, University of Frankfurt, Max von Laue Strasse 9, 60438 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Pharmacol Res 62:322-7. 2010..Furthermore, correlation analyses revealed that the observed cytoprotective effects in PC12 cells are likely due to HT present in the extract...
- Hydroxytyrosol-rich olive mill wastewater extract protects brain cells in vitro and ex vivoSebastian Schaffer
Institute of Pharmacology ZAFES, Biocenter Niederursel, University of Frankfurt, 60438 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
J Agric Food Chem 55:5043-9. 2007..In synthesis, the ex vivo data provide the first evidence of neuroprotective effects of oral hydroxytyrosol intake. Keywords: Hydroxytyrosol; olive mill wastewater; dissociated brain cells; oxidative stress; brain; Mediterranean diet...
- Hypochlorous acid scavenging properties of local Mediterranean plant foodsSebastian Schaffer
Institute of Pharmacology (ZAFES, Biocenter Niederursel, University of Frankfurt, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Lipids 39:1239-47. 2004..pulegioides. In synthesis, our study shows that local Mediterranean plant foods prevent HOCl toxicity in vitro and, thus, suggests further mechanisms responsible for the reported health-beneficial effect of the Mediterranean diet...
- The mitochondrial free radical theory of ageing--where do we stand?Jan Gruber
National University of Singapore, Department of Biochemistry, Centre for Life Sciences, 28 Medical Drive, 117456 Singapore
Front Biosci 13:6554-79. 2008..Implications for the prospect of successful interventions as well as evidence for and against efficacy of current therapeutic approaches are discussed...