S H Hohnloser
Affiliation: Frankfurt am Main
- Hohnloser S. [Treatment safety of non-vitamin K oral anticoagulants in patients with atrial fibrillation]. Herz. 2016;41:37-47 pubmed publisher..Such specific antidotes will further improve the safety profile of NAOC. ..
- Hohnloser S, Dorian P, Straub M, Beckmann K, Kowey P. Safety and efficacy of intravenously administered tedisamil for rapid conversion of recent-onset atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004;44:99-104 pubmed..6 mg/kg tedisamil. Tedisamil at dosages of 0.4 and 0.6 mg/kg was superior to placebo in converting AF or AFL. Tedisamil has a rapid onset of action leading to conversion within 30 to 40 min in the majority of responders. ..
- Vámos M, Healey J, Wang J, Duray G, Connolly S, van Erven L, et al. Troponin levels after ICD implantation with and without defibrillation testing and their predictive value for outcomes: Insights from the SIMPLE trial. Heart Rhythm. 2016;13:504-10 pubmed publisher..DT at the time of ICD implantation is associated with increased troponin levels, indicating subclinical myocardial injury caused by the procedure. Elevated troponin levels but not DT seem to predict clinical outcomes in ICD recipients. ..
- Hohnloser S, Klingenheben T, Zabel M, Schöpperl M, Mauss O. Prevalence, characteristics and prognostic value during long-term follow-up of nonsustained ventricular tachycardia after myocardial infarction in the thrombolytic era. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1999;33:1895-902 pubmed..Accordingly, the use of nonsustained VT to select patients for primary implantable cardioverter/defibrillator prevention trials shortly after AMI appears to be limited. ..
- Hohnloser S, Connolly S, Crijns H, Page R, Seiz W, Torp Petersen C. Rationale and design of ATHENA: A placebo-controlled, double-blind, parallel arm Trial to assess the efficacy of dronedarone 400 mg bid for the prevention of cardiovascular Hospitalization or death from any cause in patiENts with Atrial fibrillation/. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2008;19:69-73 pubmed..ATHENA will be the largest efficacy and safety trial of dronedarone, a multichannel blocker compound with properties from class I, II, III, and IV antiarrhythmic drugs developed to treat patients with AF. ..
- Vámos M, Erath J, Hohnloser S. Digoxin-associated mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature. Eur Heart J. 2015;36:1831-8 pubmed publisher..14, 95% CI, 1.06 to 1.22). The present systematic review and meta-analysis of all available data sources suggest that digoxin use is associated with an increased mortality risk, particularly among patients suffering from AF. ..
- Hohnloser S, Cappato R, Ezekowitz M, Evers T, Sahin K, Kirchhof P, et al. Patient-reported treatment satisfaction and budget impact with rivaroxaban vs. standard therapy in elective cardioversion of atrial fibrillation: a post hoc analysis of the X-VeRT trial. Europace. 2016;18:184-90 pubmed publisher..The use of rivaroxaban in the setting of cardioversion resulted in greater patient satisfaction and cost savings, compared with that of VKA. ..
- Hohnloser S, Oldgren J, Yang S, Wallentin L, Ezekowitz M, Reilly P, et al. Myocardial ischemic events in patients with atrial fibrillation treated with dabigatran or warfarin in the RE-LY (Randomized Evaluation of Long-Term Anticoagulation Therapy) trial. Circulation. 2012;125:669-76 pubmed publisher..Treatment effects of dabigatran were consistent in patients at higher and lower risk of myocardial ischemic events. ..
- Erath J, Hohnloser S. Drugs to prevent sudden cardiac death. Int J Cardiol. 2017;237:22-24 pubmed publisher..Hybrid therapy combing antiarrhythmic drugs (predominantly amiodarone) with ICD therapy represents an often-used treatment option. This short review provides an overview of current pharmacological therapy aiming to prevent SCD. ..
- Vámos M, Hohnloser S. Amiodarone and dronedarone: An update. Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2016;26:597-602 pubmed publisher..However, the compound cannot be used in patients with heart failure. In permanent atrial fibrillation, dronedarone is likewise contraindicated based on findings from the PALLAS trial. ..
- Vámos M, Cappato R, Marchlinski F, Natale A, Hohnloser S. Efficacy and safety of rivaroxaban compared with vitamin K antagonists for peri-procedural anticoagulation in catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Europace. 2016;18:1787-1794 pubmed publisher..96%) in the rivaroxaban group and in 165 of 4009 patients (4.12%) in the VKA group (POR 0.84, 95% CI 0.63-1.11, p = 0.22). In patients undergoing AF ablation, rivaroxaban appears to be an effective and safe alternative to VKA. ..
- Hohnloser S, Basic E, Nabauer M. Comparative risk of major bleeding with new oral anticoagulants (NOACs) and phenprocoumon in patients with atrial fibrillation: a post-marketing surveillance study. Clin Res Cardiol. 2017;106:618-628 pubmed publisher..Apixaban therapy is associated with a significantly reduced risk of bleeding compared to phenprocoumon. Bleeding risk with dabigatran was similar to that of phenprocoumon but bleeding risk with rivaroxaban was higher. ..
- Vámos M, Erath J, Bári Z, Vagany D, Linzbach S, Burmistrava T, et al. Effects of Upgrade Versus De Novo Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy on Clinical Response and Long-Term Survival: Results from a Multicenter Study. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2017;10:e004471 pubmed publisher..79; 95% confidence interval, 1.08-2.95; P=0.023). Both clinical response and long-term survival were less favorable in patients undergoing CRT upgrade compared to de novo implantations. ..
- Vámos M, Bogyi P, Duray G, Nyolczas N, Hohnloser S. Ventricular rate stabilization for treatment of recurrent VT. Herzschrittmacherther Elektrophysiol. 2017;28:239-242 pubmed publisher..In addition, there was an increasing need for ventricular pacing due to sinus bradycardia. This new type of VT could be successfully dealt with by upgrading to DDD ICD and activating the Ventricular Rate Stabilization algorithm. ..
- Erath J, Sirat A, Vámos M, Hohnloser S. Epicardial CRT-P- and S-ICD Implantation in a Young Patient with Persistent Left Superior Vena Cava. Herzschrittmacherther Elektrophysiol. 2016;27:396-398 pubmed..The combination of epicardial CRT-P with S?ICD implantation might be a safe and effective alternative in patients with cardiac anatomic abnormalities. ..
- Erath J, Vámos M, Hohnloser S. Effects of digitalis on mortality in a large cohort of implantable cardioverter defibrillator recipients: results of a long-term follow-up study in 1020 patients. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Pharmacother. 2016;2:168-74 pubmed publisher..Digitalis should be used with great caution in this population. ..
- Hohnloser S, Crijns H, van Eickels M, Gaudin C, Page R, Torp Pedersen C, et al. Effect of dronedarone on cardiovascular events in atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med. 2009;360:668-78 pubmed publisher..Dronedarone reduced the incidence of hospitalization due to cardiovascular events or death in patients with atrial fibrillation. (ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00174785.) ..
- Erath J, Vámos M, Benz A, Hohnloser S. Usefulness of the WCD in patients with suspected tachymyopathy. Clin Res Cardiol. 2018;107:70-75 pubmed publisher..Compared to 5/110 patients in the control group, no tachymyopathy patient died. Most of the patients with suspected tachymyopathy have a favorable clinical outcome. The WCD is useful for temporary protection while LV function recovers. ..
- Erath J, Hohnloser S. Anticoagulation in atrial fibrillation : Current evidence and guideline recommendations. Herz. 2018;43:2-10 pubmed publisher..In all of these clinical scenarios, NOACs have been similarly effective or-in many instances-even superior to treatment with VKA. Recent guidelines, therefore, recommend NOAC therapy for stroke prevention in AF as first-line therapy. ..
- Vámos M, Healey J, Wang J, Connolly S, Mabo P, van Erven L, et al. Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator therapy in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: A SIMPLE substudy. Heart Rhythm. 2018;15:386-392 pubmed publisher..DT did not improve intraoperative or clinical shock efficacy in HCM patients. ..
- Hohnloser S, Dorian P, Roberts R, Gent M, Israel C, Fain E, et al. Effect of amiodarone and sotalol on ventricular defibrillation threshold: the optimal pharmacological therapy in cardioverter defibrillator patients (OPTIC) trial. Circulation. 2006;114:104-9 pubmed..The effects of these drugs on defibrillation energy requirements have not been previously assessed in a randomized controlled trial...