Katharina E Scholz-Ahrens
Affiliation: Federal Research Centre for Nutrition and Food
- Prebiotics, probiotics, and synbiotics affect mineral absorption, bone mineral content, and bone structureKatharina E Scholz-Ahrens
Institute of Physiology and Biochemistry of Nutrition, Federal Research Centre for Nutrition and Food Location Kiel, D 24103 Kiel, Germany
J Nutr 137:838S-46S. 2007..The results are more prominent in animal models, where more studies have been performed, than in human studies, where experimental conditions are more difficult to control...
- Glucocorticosteroid-induced osteoporosis in adult primiparous Göttingen miniature pigs: effects on bone mineral and mineral metabolismK E Scholz-Ahrens
Institute of Physiology and Biochemistry of Nutrition, Federal Research Centre for Nutrition and Food Location Kiel, Hermann Weigmann Str 1, D 24103 Kiel, Germany
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 293:E385-95. 2007..In conclusion, the main outcomes after GC treatment are comparable to symptoms of GC-induced osteoporosis in human subjects. Thus the adult Göttingen miniature pig appears to be a valuable animal model for GC-induced osteoporosis...
- Inulin and oligofructose and mineral metabolism: the evidence from animal trialsKatharina E Scholz-Ahrens
Institute of Physiology and Biochemistry of Nutrition, Federal Research Centre for Nutrition and Food, Kiel, Germany
J Nutr 137:2513S-2523S. 2007..The abundance of reports indicate that inulin-type fructans are promising substances that could help to improve the supply with available calcium in human nutrition and by this contribute to bone health...
- Effect of oligofructose or dietary calcium on repeated calcium and phosphorus balances, bone mineralization and trabecular structure in ovariectomized rats*Katharina E Scholz-Ahrens
Institute of Physiology and Biochemistry of Nutrition, Federal Dairy Research Centre, Hermann Weigmann Str 1, D 24103 Kiel, Germany
Br J Nutr 88:365-77. 2002..Oligofructose was most effective when dietary Ca was high...
- Inulin, oligofructose and mineral metabolism - experimental data and mechanismKatharina E Scholz-Ahrens
Institute of Physiology and Biochemistry of Nutrition, Federal Dairy Research Centre, Hermann Weigmann Str 1, 24103 Kiel, Germany
Br J Nutr 87:S179-86. 2002..The possible impact of short-chain fatty acids, butyrate in particular, and of polyamines on the stimulation of mineral absorption capacity, and the interaction of oligofructose and antibiotics is discussed...
- Short-term effect of bedtime consumption of fermented milk supplemented with calcium, inulin-type fructans and caseinphosphopeptides on bone metabolism in healthy, postmenopausal womenBerit Adolphi
Department of Physiology and Biochemistry of Nutrition, Max Rubner Institut MRI, Federal Research Institute of Nutrition and Food, Hermann Weigmann Strasse 1, 24103, Kiel, Germany
Eur J Nutr 48:45-53. 2009..Milk products are good sources of calcium and their consumption may reduce bone resorption and thus contribute to prevent bone loss...
- The role of vascular endothelial growth factor in glucocorticoid-induced bone loss: evaluation in a minipig modelThomas Pufe
Department of Anatomy, University of Kiel, D 24098 Kiel, Germany
Bone 33:869-76. 2003..GC inhibit COX-2 and hence prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) production. Since PGE2 is able to increase VEGF synthesis, this may be the link between GC and VEGF decrease...
- Extracellular matrix changes in knee joint cartilage following bone-active drug treatmentHorst Claassen
Institut für Anatomie und Zellbiologie der Martin Luther Universität Halle Wittenberg, Grosse Steinstrasse 52, 06097, Halle, Germany
Cell Tissue Res 324:279-89. 2006..Thus, ovariectomy and long-term glucocorticoid therapy, especially when combined with sodium fluoride, have detrimental effects on this tissue...