Affiliation: Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk
- [Crohn's disease--standards of treatment 2004]W Kruis
Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus für die Universität zu Köln
Praxis (Bern 1994) 94:1595-8. 2005..Maintenance of remission should not be done on a regular basis but rather regarding the individual patients' situation. Risks have to be carefully balanced with possible benefits. The most important aim of treatment is quality of life...
- [Recurrent aseptic osteonecrosis in Crohn's disease - extraintestinal manifestation or steroid related complication?]B Lanyi
Abteilung fur Innere Medizin, Gastroenterologie, Evangelisches Krankenhaus Köln Kalk
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 130:1944-7. 2005..7 months earlier active (Crohn's) ileocolitis had been diagnosed. She had received several bouts of steroids and had been in clinical remission for 12 weeks under a dosage of 40 mg/d prednisone...
- Open label trial of granulocyte apheresis suggests therapeutic efficacy in chronically active steroid refractory ulcerative colitisWolfgang Kruis
Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk, Innere Abteilung, Universitat zu Koln, Germany
World J Gastroenterol 11:7001-6. 2005..To study the efficacy, safety, and feasibility of a granulocyte adsorptive type apheresis system for the treatment of patients with chronically active ulcerative colitis despite standard therapy...
- [Diagnosis of functional bowel diseases]W Kruis
Innere Abteilung, Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk, Universitat zu Koln
Praxis (Bern 1994) 96:319-22. 2007..History either confirms a positive diagnosis or initiates some complementary investigations. Redundant and dangerous technical procedures should be avoided in the diagnostic work up...
- Maintaining remission of ulcerative colitis with the probiotic Escherichia coli Nissle 1917 is as effective as with standard mesalazineW Kruis
Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk, University of Cologne, Germany
Gut 53:1617-23. 2004..We compared the efficacy in maintaining remission of the probiotic preparation Escherichia coli Nissle 1917 and established therapy with mesalazine in patients with ulcerative colitis...
- Review article: antibiotics and probiotics in inflammatory bowel diseaseW Kruis
Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk, Teaching Hospital for the University of Cologne, Germany
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 20:75-8. 2004..Further investigations may detect additional clinically effective probiotics and other clinical indications...
- [Inflammatory bowel diseases]W Kruis
Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk, Innere Abteilung
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 129:S73-5. 2004
- Safety, feasibility, and tolerability of ileocolonoscopy in inflammatory bowel diseaseG Terheggen
Department of Internal Medicine, Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk, Koln, Germany
Endoscopy 40:656-63. 2008..The aim of this study was to assess prospectively the risks of ileocolonoscopy in relation to various disease patterns and to compare possible burdens of the procedure in the endoscopist's and the patient's perception...
- Once daily versus three times daily mesalazine granules in active ulcerative colitis: a double-blind, double-dummy, randomised, non-inferiority trialW Kruis
Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Gut 58:233-40. 2009..To determine the therapeutic equivalence and safety of once daily (OD) versus three times daily (TID) dosing of a total daily dose of 3 g Salofalk (mesalazine) granules in patients with active ulcerative colitis...
- [Modern therapy of diverticular disease]L Leifeld
Abteilung fur Innere Medizin, Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk, Koln, Deutschland
Internist (Berl) 49:1415-6, 1418-20. 2008..A free perforation is still an absolute indication for emergency operation. In recurring diverticulitis indication for resection of the affected segment of the bowel should be considered depending on the extent of former attacks...
- Low dose balsalazide (1.5 g twice daily) and mesalazine (0.5 g three times daily) maintained remission of ulcerative colitis but high dose balsalazide (3.0 g twice daily) was superior in preventing relapsesW Kruis
Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk, Teaching Hospital of the University of Cologne, Germany
Gut 49:783-9. 2001..5 g twice daily) or a standard dose of mesalazine (0.5 g three times daily). All three treatments were safe and well tolerated...
- Randomised clinical trial: a comparative dose-finding study of three arms of dual release mesalazine for maintaining remission in ulcerative colitisW Kruis
Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk, University of Cologne, Germany
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 33:313-22. 2011..Comparative data regarding different regimens of oral mesalazine (mesalamine) for maintaining remission in ulcerative colitis are limited...
- Mesalazine granules are superior to Eudragit-L-coated mesalazine tablets for induction of remission in distal ulcerative colitis - a pooled analysisL Leifeld
Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk, Cologne, Germany
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 34:1115-22. 2011..Different oral formulations of 'mesalazine (mesalamine)' may have different efficacy in distal ulcerative colitis...
- Probiotics: do they help to control intestinal inflammation?S K Bohm
Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk, Abteilung für Innere Medzin, Universitat zu Koln, Buchforststrasse 2, Koln, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1072:339-50. 2006..Further understanding of the complex molecular mechanisms leading to the effectiveness of probiotics will also spur the development of more successful probiotic formulations...
- [Diverticulitis should be treated conservatively]W Kruis
Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk, Buchforststrasse 2,
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 133:1922. 2008
- [Probiotics in chronic inflammatory bowel disease]S Bohm
Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk, Koln
MMW Fortschr Med 148:30-4. 2006..These indications have since been incorporated in valid guidelines. Initial clinical studies have also provided promising results regarding the efficacy of VSL#3 in preventing pouchitis immediately following proctocolectomy...
- [Future directions of German gastroenterology--personal notes on the occasion of the 60th annual meeting of the German Gastroenterological Association]W Kruis
Innere Abteilung, Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk GmbH,
Z Gastroenterol 43:1281-4. 2005
- [Diverticulosis and diverticulitis]R M Hoffmann
Medizinische Klinik I, Kreiskrankenhaus Gummersbach
Internist (Berl) 46:671-83; quiz 684. 2005..Treatment of diverticulitis and its complications requires careful consideration of conservative and surgical approaches and close interdisciplinary cooperation...
- [Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration]S Schanz
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 130:1957-61. 2005
- [Probiotics and prebiotics--a renaissance?]R M Hoffmann
Innere Abteilung, Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk, Buchforststrasse 2, 51103 Köln
Internist (Berl) 43:1400-6. 2002
- Addition of senna improves colonoscopy preparation with lavage: a prospective randomized trialD J Ziegenhagen
Department of Medicine I, University of Cologne, Germany
Gastrointest Endosc 37:547-9. 1991..In the senna/PEG-ELS group, significantly less (p less than 0.05) lavage fluid was needed. We conclude that the combination of senna and PEG-ELS is more effective than PEG-ELS in cleansing the colon for colonoscopy...
- [Mysterious lower gastrointestinal bleeding in diverticular disease of the colon]G Vosskamp
Innere Abteilung, Evangelisches Krankenhaus Köln Kalk
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 130:1948-50. 2005..At her admission to hospital she complained about general weakness and painless melena. Within the last few years the patient had been treated with aspirin and phenprocoumon for chronic atrial fibrillation and coronary heart disease...
- [Bile acid-independent effect of hymecromone on bile secretion and common bile duct motility]R M Hoffmann
Innere Abteilung, Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk, Koln
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 130:1938-43. 2005..We investigated the effect of 4-methyl-umbiliferone p. o. and i. v. on gall bladder and common bile duct motility and studied potentially indirect effects via alterations in bile acid metabolism...
- [From chronic inflammation to metastasizing colon cancer--the endless story of the NSAIDs]H Allgayer
Schwerpunkt Verdauungs- und Stoffwechselerkrankungen, Rehaklinik Ob der Tauber, Bad Mergentheim,
Z Gastroenterol 44:611-3. 2006
- [Short version of the updated German S3 (level 3) guideline on diagnosis and treatment of Crohn's disease]J C Hoffmann
Medizinische Klinik I, St. Marienkrankenhaus Ludwigshafen
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 133:1924-9. 2008
- [Diagnosis and therapy of ulcerative colitis: results of an evidence based consensus conference by the German society of Digestive and Metabolic Diseases and the competence network on inflammatory bowel disease]J C Hoffmann
Medizinische Klinik I mit Schwerpunkt Gastroenterologie/Infektiologie/Rheumatologie, Charit,
Z Gastroenterol 42:979-83. 2004
- [Ulcerative colitis. Maintenance therapy]W Kruis
Abt. Innere Medizin,
Z Gastroenterol 42:1011-4. 2004
- [Interdisciplinarity in gastroenterology - a necessary and inevitable step forward]W Kruis
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 130:1933. 2005
- [Determination of placebo effect in irritable bowel syndrome]P Enck
Medizinische Klinik VI Psychosomatische Medizin und Psychotherapie, Universitatsklinikum Tubingen
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 130:1934-7. 2005..The determinants of the placebo effect are not well established. Goal of this study was to explore likely predictive factors in an already published data set...
- Rare extraintestinal manifestations of inflammatory bowel diseaseR M Hoffmann
Ev. Krankenhaus Kalk, ,
Inflamm Bowel Dis 10:140-7. 2004
- Genetic analysis of inflammatory bowel disease in a large European cohort supports linkage to chromosomes 12 and 16M E Curran
Axys Pharmaceuticals Inc, La Jolla, California, USA
Gastroenterology 115:1066-71. 1998..The significance of these linkages will be determined by studies in large patient collections. The aim of this study was to replicate IBD linkages on chromosomes 12 and 16 in a large European cohort...
- [Microscopic colitis]C Pohl
Innere Abteilung, St. Elisabeth Krankenhaus,
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 130:1962-7. 2005