- IS1301 fingerprint analysis of Neisseria meningitidis strains belonging to the ET-15 cloneJohannes Elias
Institute for Hygiene and Microbiology, University of Wurzburg, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 45:159-67. 2007..A previously described insertion in nadA was present in more than two-thirds of the strains analyzed, suggesting that NadA is probably an unreliable vaccine candidate for the prevention of ET-15 disease...
- Vaccine preventability of meningococcal clone, Greater Aachen Region, GermanyJohannes Elias
University of Wuerzburg, Wuerzburg, Germany
Emerg Infect Dis 16:465-72. 2010..Because this globally distributed epidemic strain spreads slowly, vaccination efforts could possibly eliminate meningococcal disease in this area...
- Persistence of antibodies in laboratory staff immunized with quadrivalent meningococcal polysaccharide vaccineJohannes Elias
Institute for Hygiene and Microbiology, University of Wuerzburg, Josef Schneider Strasse 2, 97080, Wuerzburg, Germany
J Occup Med Toxicol 8:4. 2013..While, until recently, immunization with quadrivalent polysaccharide vaccine represented one cornerstone of protection, data on long-term persistence of antibodies in adults remain scarce...
- Prevalence dependent calibration of a predictive model for nasal carriage of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusJohannes Elias
Institute for Hygiene and Microbiology, University of Wurzburg, Josef Schneider Strasse 2, Wurzburg, 97080, Germany
BMC Infect Dis 13:111. 2013..In contrast, accurate estimation of carriage probability, which may inform decisions regarding treatment and infection control, is rarely assessed. Furthermore, no published models adjust for MRSA prevalence...
- EpiScanGIS: an online geographic surveillance system for meningococcal diseaseMarkus Reinhardt
Computer Science II, University of Wurzburg, Germany
Int J Health Geogr 7:33. 2008..The integration of pathogen fine typing data in dynamic systems and visualization of spatio-temporal clusters are a technical challenge for system development...
- [3rd Workshop on Epidemiology, Prevention and Treatment of Invasive Meningococcal Disease in Würzburg 2006]J Elias
Nationales Referenzzentrum für Meningokokken, Institut für Hygiene und Mikrobiologie, Universitat Wurzburg, Germany
Gesundheitswesen 69:256-62. 2007..Finally, the latest evidence concerning the clinical management and chemoprophylaxis of this invasive bacterial disease was discussed...
- Nosocomial outbreak of VIM-2 metallo-β-lactamase-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa associated with retrograde urographyJ Elias
Institute for Hygiene and Microbiology, University of Wuerzburg, Wuerzburg, Germany
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:1494-500. 2010..Department-specific infection control measures, including reinforced hygiene procedures during retrograde urography, quickly terminated the outbreak...
- First survey of metallo-beta-lactamases in clinical isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in a German university hospitalGiuseppe Valenza
Institute of Hygiene and Microbiology, University of Wurzburg, Josef Schneider Str 2 E1, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:3493-7. 2010....
- A dual role of extracellular DNA during biofilm formation of Neisseria meningitidisMartin Lappann
University of Wurzburg, Institute for Hygiene and Microbiology, Germany
Mol Microbiol 75:1355-71. 2010..On the contrary, spreaders (ST-11 and ST-8 cc) are unable to use eDNA for biofilm formation and might compensate for poor colonization properties by high transmission rates...
- Bacteremia in an immunocompromised patient caused by a commensal Neisseria meningitidis strain harboring the capsule null locus (cnl)Ulrich Vogel
National Reference Laboratory for Meningococci, Institute for Hygiene and Microbiology, University of Wurzburg, Josef Schneider Str 2, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 42:2898-901. 2004..The sequence type 845 strain was extensively typed and, furthermore, shown to be sensitive to serum bactericidal activity...
- Deletion of the meningococcal fetA gene used for antigen sequence typing of invasive and commensal isolates from Germany: frequencies and mechanismsHeike Claus
University of Wurzburg, Institute for Hygiene and Microbiology, National Reference Centre for Meningococci, Wurzburg, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 45:2960-4. 2007..ST-35 cc strains and the recently published ST-192 strains from Burkina Faso may benefit from loss of fetA, but their infrequent occurrence among invasive isolates currently does not affect fetA antigen ST...
- [Infections with pneumococci, menigococci, H. influenzae and diphtheria in Germany: the RKI Reference Network for Invasive Bacterial Infections (IBI) at the 5th Würzburg Workshop on Epidemiology, Prevention and Therapy for Invasive Meningococcal Diseases T T Lam
Nationales Referenzzentrum für Meningokokken und Konsiliarlabor für H influenzae, Institut für Hygiene und Mikrobiologie, Universitat Wurzburg
Gesundheitswesen 74:747-53. 2012..pneumoniae infections. The epidemiological data were complemented by clinical aspects concerning the vaccination of immunocompromised children...
- Spatiotemporal analysis of invasive meningococcal disease, GermanyJohannes Elias
University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1689-95. 2006..2%. The study exemplifies how the combination of molecular finetyping and spatiotemporal analysis can be used to assess an infectious disease in a large European country...
- O-acetyltransferase gene neuO is segregated according to phylogenetic background and contributes to environmental desiccation resistance in Escherichia coli K1Ines L Mordhorst
Institute for Hygiene and Microbiology, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Environ Microbiol 11:3154-65. 2009..In contrast, NeuO expression led to a reduced biofilm formation in biofilm positive E. coli K1 isolates. These findings suggest a delicate ecological balance of neuO'on'/'off' switching...
- Evidence for indirect nosocomial transmission of Neisseria meningitidis resulting in two cases of invasive meningococcal diseaseJohannes Elias
National Reference Centre for Meningococci, Institute for Hygiene and Microbiology, University of Wurzburg, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 44:4276-8. 2006..The most likely epidemiological link was simultaneous hospitalization, resulting in indirect nosocomial transmission...
- Life-threatening infection caused by daptomycin-resistant Corynebacterium jeikeium in a neutropenic patientChristoph Schoen
Institute for Hygiene and Microbiology, Julius Maximilian University, Wurzburg, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 47:2328-31. 2009....
- Bat-associated histoplasmosis can be transmitted at entrances of bat caves and not only inside the cavesBoris Julg
Department of Infectious Diseases, Medizinische Poliklinik, University Hospital of Munich, Munich, Germany
J Travel Med 15:133-6. 2008..In the presented cases, the only contact happened in the proximity of a bat cave but not inside the cave. We wish to communicate and stress that even outside of caves, bats may disperse the organism...