A K Eckstein
- Surgical treatment of Graves' ophthalmopathyAnja Eckstein
University Eye Hostpital Essen, Department Neuroophthalmology, Strabism and Oculoplasics, Hufelandstrasse 55, Essen 45122, Germany
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 26:339-58. 2012..Lid lengthening procedures are performed most often in GO patients and should be performed under local anaesthesia to get a good result. Serious complications are rare...
- [A temporal tarsorrhaphy increases the effect of lower lid lengthening in patients with Graves' orbitopathy]A Eckstein
Orthoptik, Universitäts Augenklinik Essen, Essen
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 228:887-91. 2011..The aim of this study was to compare outcomes of lower lid lengthening with and without an additional temporal tarsorrhaphy...
- [Graves' orbitopathy]A Eckstein
Orthoptik, Universitäts Augenklinik Essen
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 228:432-8. 2011..Smoking increases the prevalence and severity of GO and reduces the efficiency of therapy. Restoring euthyroidism leads to an improvement of GO in about 60% of the patients...
- [Amblyopia and uveitis in childhood]A Eckstein
Augenklinik, Universitatsklinikum Essen
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 224:507-10. 2007..The follow-up should not only contain visual acuity measurements but also cycloplegic refraction. Especially when pupil-dilating drugs are necessary for a longer period, bifocals should be prescribed...
- Euthyroid and primarily hypothyroid patients develop milder and significantly more asymmetrical Graves ophthalmopathyA K Eckstein
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Essen, Essen, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 93:1052-6. 2009..Retrospective, observational study to compare clinical symptoms and TSH-receptor antibodies (TRAb) in Graves ophthalmopathy (GO) in euthyroid and primarily hypothyroid patients to those in hyperthyroid patients...
- Clinical value of TSH receptor antibodies measurement in patients with Graves' orbitopathyA Eckstein
Department of Ophthalmology, University Duisburg Essen, Germany
Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 7:198-203. 2010..Definitive treatment of the thyroid can be decided early on this basis, which is an advantage for ophthalmosurgical rehabilitation...
- Current insights into the pathogenesis of Graves' orbitopathyA K Eckstein
Endocrine Orbitopathy Research and Therapy in Essen EORT E, Centre for Ophthalmology, University Hospital Essen, Essen, Germany
Horm Metab Res 41:456-64. 2009..To date most models have centered on provoking autoimmune responses to the TSHR, but other antigens, alone or in combination with this receptor, hopefully will succeed in inducing the full spectrum of GD...
- [Graves' ophthalmopathy]A Eckstein
Zentrum für Augenheilkunde, Universitatsklinikum, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122, Essen, Deutschland
Internist (Berl) 51:584, 586-8, 590-2, passim. 2010..Radioiodine therapy without glucocorticoids is associated with a small but significant risk (15%) of deterioration or relapse. Thyroidectomy is neutral in later stages but may improve Graves' orbitopathy in early active stages...
- Dysregulation of TNF/TNFR superfamily members: a systemic link between intra- and extrathyroidal manifestations in Graves' diseaseB Quadbeck
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany
Scand J Immunol 64:523-30. 2006..Monocytes, therefore, may serve as a suitable target to therapeutically address the common precursor of key promoters of GD...
- The T393C polymorphism of the Galphas gene (GNAS1) is associated with the course of Graves' diseaseD Glowacka
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital of Essen, University of Duisburg Essen, Germany
Horm Metab Res 41:430-5. 2009..This may allow the clinician to identify patients at risk for more severe courses of disease and to come to more timely decisions for treatment...
- Thyroid associated ophthalmopathy: evidence for CD4(+) gammadelta T cells; de novo differentiation of RFD7(+) macrophages, but not of RFD1(+) dendritic cells; and loss of gammadelta and alphabeta T cell receptor expressionA K Eckstein
Department of Ophthalmology, Essen University Hospital, Essen, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 88:803-8. 2004..The authors discuss a novel potential role for inflammatory CD4(+) gammadelta T cells in TAO. Successful treatment apparently downregulates orbital monocyte recruitment and effects functional T cell knockout...
- Maturation of thyroidal dendritic cells in Graves' diseaseB Quadbeck
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Uniiversity Clinic, Essen, Germany
Scand J Immunol 55:612-20. 2002..Expression of CD54 and CD83 did not significantly differ among the groups. The phenotype of intrathyroidal DC in GD thus supports their role as potential (co)stimulators of thyroid autoimmunity...
- Impact of smoking on the response to treatment of thyroid associated ophthalmopathyA Eckstein
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Essen, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 87:773-6. 2003..The authors sought to determine if smoking also influences the course of TAO during treatment, and the efficacy of therapy...