S A R Doi
- TRH stimulation when basal TSH is within the normal range: is there "sub-biochemical" hypothyroidism?Suhail A R Doi
Department of Medicine (Endocrinology, Mubarak Al-Kabeer Teaching Hospital and Kuwait University, Kuwait
Clin Med Res 5:145-8. 2007
- A quality-effects model for meta-analysisSuhail A R Doi
Division of Endocrinology, Mubarak Al Kabeer Teaching Hospital, Kuwait University, Kuwait
Epidemiology 19:94-100. 2008..We propose a simple noniterative procedure for computing the combined effect size under this model and suggest that this could represent a more convincing alternative to the random effects model...
- Ablation of the thyroid remnant and I-131 dose in differentiated thyroid cancer: a meta-analysis revisitedSuhail A R Doi
Department of Medicine (Endocrinology, Mubarak Al-Kabeer Teaching Hospital and Kuwait University Kuwait
Clin Med Res 5:87-90. 2007
- Nurses' intentions to wear gloves during venipuncture procedures: a behavioral psychology perspectiveSuhail A R Doi
Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Newcastle, Australia
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 28:747-50. 2007....
- Steroidogenic alterations and adrenal androgen excess in PCOSSuhail A R Doi
Division of Endocrinology, Mubarak Al Kabeer Hospital and Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, P O Box 24923 Safat, 13110, Kuwait
Steroids 71:751-9. 2006..This cross-sectional study was undertaken to improve our understanding of the steroidogenic alterations leading to adrenal hyperandrogenism in polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)...
- Optimal use and interpretation of the aldosterone renin ratio to detect aldosterone excess in hypertensionS A R Doi
Division of Endocrinology, Mubarak Al Kabeer Teaching Hospital, Jabriya, Kuwait
J Hum Hypertens 20:482-9. 2006..The renin stimulation test may be an alternative being safe, well tolerated, and cost effective...
- Relationship between cortisol increment and basal cortisol: implications for the low-dose short adrenocorticotropic hormone stimulation testSuhail A R Doi
Division of Endocrinology, Mubarak Al Kabeer Teaching Hospital, Jabriya, Kuwait
Clin Chem 52:746-9. 2006....
- Ovarian steroids modulate neuroendocrine dysfunction in polycystic ovary syndromeS A R Doi
Division of Endocrinology, Mubarak Al Kabeer Hospital and Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait
J Endocrinol Invest 28:882-92. 2005....
- Irregular cycles and steroid hormones in polycystic ovary syndromeSuhail A R Doi
Division of Endocrinology, Mubarak Al Kabeer Hospital and Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University
Hum Reprod 20:2402-8. 2005..This cross-sectional study was undertaken to evaluate the factors that relate to menstrual status (oligo-amenorrhoea versus eumenorrhoea) in polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)...
- Meta-analysis of heterogeneous clinical trials: an empirical exampleSuhail A R Doi
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Contemp Clin Trials 32:288-98. 2011..It is important that such differences are recognized by the wider research community so that meta-analyses remain a valid tool for synthesizing research...
- PCOS: an ovarian disorder that leads to dysregulation in the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis?Suhail A R Doi
Division of Endocrinology, Mubarak Al Kabeer Hospital and Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, P O Box 64849, Shuwaikh 70459, Kuwait
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 118:4-16. 2005..It is concluded that the central and adrenal alterations associated with PCOS are unlikely to be primary but rather are secondary to the events within the ovary...
- Pyrexia of unknown origin: Kikuchi-Fujimoto diseaseAli Parappil
Department of Medicine, Jahra Hospital, Kuwait
Clin Infect Dis 39:138-43. 2004..Although no specific etiology has been identified, several reported cases are associated with a variety of viruses, toxoplasma, or systemic lupus erythematosus. We present a case and discuss the implications for management...
- Normal measurement of orbital structures: implications for the assessment of Graves' ophthalmopathyM Sheikh
Department of Radiology, Kuwait University and Mubarak Al Kabeer Teaching Hospital, Jabriya, Kuwait
Australas Radiol 51:253-6. 2007..Based on our normal values, a right-to-left ratio of more than 1.4 for EOM diameter or 1.2 for GP is indicative of asymmetry. An absolute diameter of EOM > 8 mm and GP < 2 mm are abnormal...
- Total thyroidectomy followed by postsurgical remnant ablation may improve cancer specific survival in differentiated thyroid carcinomaSuhail A R Doi
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Clin Nucl Med 35:396-9. 2010..To determine the effect of the extent of thyroidectomy and additional postsurgical radioiodine remnant ablation (RRA) on the survival of patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma (DTC) after adjustment for risk stage...
- Perception of the educational environment by medical students undergoing a curricular transition in KuwaitManal Bouhaimed
Department of Community Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait
Med Princ Pract 18:204-8. 2009..The aim of this study was to measure the students' perceptions of the educational environment in a medical school undergoing curricular transition from a traditional to a problem-based learning (PBL) program in the academic year 2006-2007...
- Thyroxine suppression therapy for benign, non-functioning solitary thyroid nodules: a quality-effects meta-analysisAltayyeb Yousef
Department of Medicine, Mubarak Al Kabeer Teaching Hospital, Kuwait
Clin Med Res 8:150-8. 2010..Keeping this definition of efficacy in mind and a low incidence of adverse events with low level LT4 suppression, such an intervention might be appropriate in patients selected on the basis of a low risk for adverse effects...
- Impact of the sentinel node frozen section result on the probability of additional nodal metastases as predicted by the MSKCC nomogram in breast cancerMohammad H Jamal
Department of Surgery, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Jpn J Clin Oncol 41:314-9. 2011....
- LDL species heterogeneity in the atherogenic dyslipidemia of polycystic ovary syndromeSuhail A R Doi
Division of Endocrinology, Mubarak Al Kabeer Teaching Hospital, Kuwait, Kuwait
Am J Clin Pathol 129:802-10. 2008..After adjusting for triglyceride levels, other traits of insulin resistance syndrome (IRS) were not associated with LDL size phenotype, suggesting that the IRS-related sdLDL is linked most strongly to alterations in triglyceride levels...
- A case of hypocortisolemic clinical Cushing's syndromeKamal A S Al-Shoumer
Division of Endocrinology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University and Mubarak Al-Kabeer Hospital, Kuwait
Ann Saudi Med 28:124-7. 2008
- Evidence-based practice among primary care physicians in KuwaitAbeer S H Ahmad
Graduate Student, Department of Community Medicine and BS, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait, Kuwait
J Eval Clin Pract 15:1125-30. 2009..The objectives of this study were to quantify the level of EBP and awareness in Kuwait and identify the factors related to EBP...
- The use of corticosteroids versus other treatments for Graves' ophthalmopathy: a quantitative evaluationSheikha Abalkhail
Division of Endocrinology, Mubarak Al Kabeer Hospital and Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Jabriya, Kuwait
Med Sci Monit 9:CR477-83. 2003..Side effects can also be overcome by the use of IVCS pulse therapy (without OCS), which needs to be pursued in further, separate research as an alternative to oral therapy, since it could be both more effective and safer...
- Outcomes associated with community-based research projects in teaching undergraduate public healthManal Bouhaimed
Department of Community Medicine, Kuwait University, Safat, State of Kuwait 13110
Med Teach 30:384-8. 2008..Nevertheless, there is a paucity of information on the learning outcomes of such a teaching strategy. We therefore attempted to evaluate our experience with such a project based teaching process...
- Hypothyroidism results in small dense LDL independent of IRS traits and hypertriglyceridemiaJasem M K Abbas
Division of Clinical Biochemistry, Mubarak Al Kabeer Hospital, Kuwait
Endocr J 55:381-9. 2008..After adjusting for TG levels, other insulin resistance syndrome (IRS) traits were not associated with LDL size phenotype, suggesting that the IRS related sdLDL is linked most strongly to alterations in TG levels...
- Glucocorticoid replacement in panhypopituitarism complicated by myelinolysisIbrahim Lasheen
Division of Internal Medicine, Mubarak Al Kabeer Hospital, Kuwait
Med Princ Pract 14:115-7. 2005..To report a case of glucocorticoid substitution in panhypopituitarism that can lead to uncontrolled rise in serum sodium and myelinolysis...