Affiliation: Centre for Clinical Studies
- Glucagon as a determinant of fibrinolytic activity in men with different stages of glucose tolerance: impact of glucagon on fibrinolysisElena Henkel
Centre for Clinical Studies Metabolism and Endocrinology, GWT TU Dresden, Technical University Dresden, Fiedlerstrasse 34, D 01307 Dresden, Germany
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 18:327-34. 2007..05). Besides the already established determinants, we found an independent association between glucagon and fibrinolysis in NGT. Further studies are needed to identify the link between glucagon, insulin resistance and hemostasis...
- Different effects of acarbose and glibenclamide on proinsulin and insulin profiles in people with Type 2 diabetesM Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies GWT TU Dresden, Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 55:221-7. 2002..In a double-blind, placebo-controlled study, we compared the effect of acarbose (A) and glibenclamide (G) on post-prandial (pp) and 24-h profiles of proinsulin and insulin...
- Acarbose slows progression of intima-media thickness of the carotid arteries in subjects with impaired glucose toleranceMarkolf Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, Dresden Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Stroke 35:1073-8. 2004..This article reports on a placebo-controlled subgroup analysis of the STOP-NIDDM study to examine the efficacy of acarbose to slow progression of intima-media thickness (IMT) in subjects with IGT...
- [The metabolic syndrome and its epidemiologic dimensions in historical perspective]Markolf Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, Forschungsbereich Endokrinologie und Stoffwechsel, GWT, TU Dresden
Z Arztl Fortbild Qualitatssich 96:183-8. 2002..Today the metabolic syndrome is--and for the near future will continue to be--the most important source of new diabetics, as well as a major cause of coronary heart disease...
- Acarbose reduces the risk for myocardial infarction in type 2 diabetic patients: meta-analysis of seven long-term studiesM Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, GWT, Technical University of Dresden, Fiedlerstrasse 34, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Eur Heart J 25:10-6. 2004..To assess if treatment with the alpha-glucosidase inhibitor acarbose can reduce cardiovascular events in type 2 diabetic patients...
- Control of post-prandial hyperglycemia--an essential part of good diabetes treatment and prevention of cardiovascular complicationsM Hanefeld
Center of Clinical Studies, Technical University Dresden, Fiedlerstrasse 34, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 12:98-107. 2002..This article reviews the relationship between the control of post-prandial hyperglycemia and diabetes-related complications...
- [Differential type 2 diabetes therapy based on pathophysiological aspects]M Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, GWT TU Dresden
Ther Umsch 59:393-401. 2002..Instead of a stepwise treatment algorithm an individualized therapy based on pathophysiology and comorbidities taking into account the global risk seems to be beneficial...
- One-year glycemic control with a sulfonylurea plus pioglitazone versus a sulfonylurea plus metformin in patients with type 2 diabetesMarkolf Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, GWT Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Care 27:141-7. 2004..The goal was to assess the 1-year efficacy and safety of the addition of pioglitazone or metformin to existing sulfonylurea (SU) therapy in patients with inadequately controlled type 2 diabetes...
- Insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity pattern is different in isolated impaired glucose tolerance and impaired fasting glucose: the risk factor in Impaired Glucose Tolerance for Atherosclerosis and Diabetes studyMarkolf Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, Gesellschaft für Wissens und Technologietransfer, Technical University Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Care 26:868-74. 2003..This study compared both categories with respect to the degree of insulin secretion abnormalities and insulin resistance...
- Impact of glucagon response on postprandial hyperglycemia in men with impaired glucose tolerance and type 2 diabetes mellitusElena Henkel
Centre for Clinical Studies Metabolism and Endocrinology, Science and Technology Transfer, Technical University, D 01307 Dresden, Germany
Metabolism 54:1168-73. 2005..Prospective studies are needed to evaluate the impact of glucagon on the progression of glucose intolerance and the possible effects of medicinal suppression of glucagon increment to prevent the progression of glucose tolerance...
- Metabolic syndrome and its single traits as risk factors for diabetes in people with impaired glucose tolerance: the STOP-NIDDM trialMarkolf Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, GWT TUD GmbH, Fiedlerstr 34, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Diab Vasc Dis Res 6:32-7. 2009..5 in those without MetS. In conclusion, most single traits and overall MetS label a very high-risk group in people with IGT. People with MetS reach a NNT to prevent development of new diabetes with acarbose of 5.8...
- Effect of acarbose on vascular disease in patients with abnormal glucose toleranceMarkolf Hanefeld
Center for Clinical Studies, GWT TUD GmbH, Dresden, Germany
Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 22:225-31. 2008..This is associated with pleiotropic effects on a broad spectrum of cardiovascular (CV) risk factors: reduction of overweight, lowering of blood pressure, triglycerides, hsCRP, fibrinogen and other biomarkers of low grade inflammation...
- Treatment of impaired glucose tolerance with acarbose and its effect on intima-media thickness: a substudy of the STOP-NIDDM trial (study to prevent non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus)Markolf Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, GWT Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Endocr Pract 12:56-9. 2006..To discuss the influence of glucose excursions on intima-media thickness (IMT) and the potential benefits of treatment to reduce or reverse its effects on cardiovascular risk...
- Acarbose: oral anti-diabetes drug with additional cardiovascular benefitsMarkolf Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, Dresden, Fiedlerstrasse 34, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 6:153-63. 2008..It can be given alone or in combination with other oral antidiabetics and insulin. Acarbose is particularly effective in those with IGT and early diabetes and patients with comorbidities of the metabolic syndrome...
- Cardiovascular benefits and safety profile of acarbose therapy in prediabetes and established type 2 diabetesMarkolf Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, GWT, Technische Universitat Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Cardiovasc Diabetol 6:20. 2007....
- In type 2 diabetes, rosiglitazone therapy for insulin resistance ameliorates endothelial dysfunction independent of glucose controlFrank Pistrosch
Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University Hospital Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Care 27:484-90. 2004..Conceivably, endothelial dysfunction could be involved. Therefore, we asked whether therapy for insulin resistance ameliorates any endothelial dysfunction...
- Leukocyte count and fibrinogen are associated with carotid and femoral intima-media thickness in a risk population for diabetesTheodora Temelkova-Kurktschiev
Centre for Clinical Studies Metabolism and Endocrinology, Science and Technology Transfer, Technical University Dresden, Fiedlerstr 34, 01307, Dresden, Germany
Cardiovasc Res 56:277-83. 2002....
- Double-blind, randomized, multicentre, and active comparator controlled investigation of the effect of pioglitazone, metformin, and the combination of both on cardiovascular risk in patients with type 2 diabetes receiving stable basal insulin therapy: theMarkolf Hanefeld
GWT TUD mbH, Fiedlerstr 34, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Cardiovasc Diabetol 10:65. 2011..We analyzed specific effects of an add-on therapy with pioglitazone compared to metformin and their combination in patients with basal insulin treatment on biomarkers of CV risk...
- Once-daily sitagliptin, a dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor, for the treatment of patients with type 2 diabetesMarkolf Hanefeld
GWT Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 23:1329-39. 2007..Additionally, the glycemic response to sitagliptin 100 mg daily was evaluated as a once-daily (100 mg once-daily) or twice-daily (50 mg twice-daily) dosing regimen...
- A one-year study comparing the efficacy and safety of rosiglitazone and glibenclamide in the treatment of type 2 diabetesMarkolf Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, GWT Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 17:13-23. 2007..This study was designed to compare the efficacy of rosiglitazone and glibenclamide in individuals with type 2 diabetes over a 12-month period...
- Conversion of IGT to type 2 diabetes mellitus is associated with incident cases of hypertension: a post-hoc analysis of the STOP-NIDDM trialMarkolf Hanefeld
Center for Clinical Studies, Technical University Dresden, Dresden, Germany
J Hypertens 30:1440-3. 2012..However, there is little information available about the relationship between incidence of hypertension and a deterioration of glucose tolerance from impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) to diabetes...
- Ala12Ala genotype of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma2 protects against atherosclerosisTheodora Temelkova-Kurktschiev
Center for Clinical Studies, Technical University Dresden, Fiedlerstrasse 34, 01307 Dresden, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:4238-42. 2004..In conclusion, our data suggest that the Ala(12)Ala genotype of the PPARgamma2 gene may protect from early atherosclerosis in subjects at risk for diabetes...
- Relationship between diurnal blood pressure variation and diurnal blood glucose levels in type 2 diabetic patientsFrank Pistrosch
Department of Medicine, Nephrology, University Hospital, Dresden, Germany
Am J Hypertens 20:541-5. 2007..We therefore investigated the relationship between diurnal hyperglycemia and diurnal blood pressure (BP) variation in patients...
- Elevated fasting glucose levels predicts IGT and diabetes also in middle-age subjectsPeter E H Schwarz
Department of Endocrinopathies and Metabolic Diseases, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus of the Technical University Dresden, Fetscherstrasse 74, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 77:148-50. 2007..We therefore conclude that elevated fasting glucose levels in the "IFG" category predict the development of IGT/diabetes in a middle-age population...
- Impact of the individual components of the metabolic syndrome and their different combinations on the prevalence of atherosclerotic vascular disease in type 2 diabetes: the Diabetes in Germany (DIG) studyMarkolf Hanefeld
Center for Clinical Studies Metabolism and Endocrinology, Science and Technology Transfer, TU Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Cardiovasc Diabetol 6:13. 2007..We aimed to answer this by evaluating the relationship, and its various combinations to AVD in comparison to single traits in a population-based study with type 2 diabetes in Germany...
- Evaluation of a diabetes management system based on practice guidelines, integrated care, and continuous quality management in a Federal State of Germany: a population-based approach to health care researchUlrike Rothe
Institute for Medical Informatics and Biometrics, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, Technical University of Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Care 31:863-8. 2008..The SDMP was implemented into diabetes contracts between health insurance providers, general practitioners (GPs), and diabetes specialized practitioners (DSPs) unified in the Saxon association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians...
- [Metabolic syndrome: "common soil" for diabetes and atherosclerosis. Novel approaches to an integrated therapy]Markolf Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien der GWT TUD GmbH, Fiedlerstrasse 74, 01307, Dresden, Germany
Herz 31:246-54; quiz 255. 2006..The strategy using synergies in drug treatment can reduce polypharmacy and costs and improve the patients' compliance...
- Hypoadiponectinemia is associated with progression toward type 2 diabetes and genetic variation in the ADIPOQ gene promoterPeter E H Schwarz
Department of Endocrinopathies and Metabolic Diseases, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus of the Technical University Dresden, Medical Clinic III, Building 46, Room 10, Fetscherstrasse 74, 01309, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Care 29:1645-50. 2006..The aim of the current study was to investigate whether ADIPOQ gene variants in the promoter region predict adiponectin levels and type 2 diabetes progression...
- [Postprandial hyperglycemia as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Therapy improves prognosis]Markolf Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, Gesellschaft für Wissens und Technologietransfer der TU Dresden mbH, Dresden, Deutschland
Herz 29:480-7. 2004..Thus control of the glucose trias-HbA(1c), postprandial and fasting plasma glucoses is essentially practice in patients with cardiovascular disease...
- Anti-inflammatory effects of pioglitazone and/or simvastatin in high cardiovascular risk patients with elevated high sensitivity C-reactive protein: the PIOSTAT StudyMarkolf Hanefeld
GWT, Center for Clinical Studies, Dresden, Germany
J Am Coll Cardiol 49:290-7. 2007....
- Oral glucose tolerance test: to be or not to be performed?Theodora S Temelkova-Kurktschiev
Science and Technology Transfer, Centre for Clinical Studies, Metabolism and Endocrinology, Technical University Dresden, Germany
Clin Lab 48:143-52. 2002..Since an OGTT cannot be generally conducted, we recommend its performance in risk subjects and especially in elderly women. This would make it possible to institute preventive measures...
- [Multimodal therapy of dyslipidemia]Annett Stahn
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, Fiedlerstraße 34, Dresden, Germany
Clin Res Cardiol Suppl 6:10-6. 2011..In the future a recommendation for the treatment of mixed hyperlipoproteinemia with decreased HDL, raised triglycerides and LDL-cholesterol shall have to be added to our guidelines...
- In vivo evidence for increased oxidation of circulating LDL in impaired glucose toleranceSteffi Kopprasch
Department of Internal Medicine 3, Carl Gustav Carus Medical School, University of Technology Dresden, Germany
Diabetes 51:3102-6. 2002..OxLDL increase may explain the high atherogenic potency of dyslipidemia in the prediabetic state...
- Natural history of cardiovascular disease in patients with diabetes: role of hyperglycemiaZvonko Milicevic
Eli Lilly Regional Operations, Vienna, Austria
Diabetes Care 31:S155-60. 2008..Based on the results of epidemiological reports, the most appropriate targets in interventional trials are postprandial hyperglycemia or A1C...
- Acarbose for prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus: the STOP-NIDDM randomised trialJean Louis Chiasson
Research Centre, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Hotel Dieu, Department of Medicine, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Lancet 359:2072-7. 2002..The worldwide increase in type 2 diabetes mellitus is becoming a major health concern. We aimed to assess the effect of acarbose in preventing or delaying conversion of impaired glucose tolerance to type 2 diabetes...
- [In high risk for diabetes should drugs be used for prevention? (interview by Dr. Judith Neumaier)]Markolf Hanefeld
MMW Fortschr Med 144:12. 2002
- Guideline for management of postmeal glucoseAntonio Ceriello
Warwick Medical School, Clinical Science Research Institute, Clinical Science Building, University Hospital Walsgrave Campus, Clifford Bridge Road, Coventry CV2 2DX, UK
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18:S17-33. 2008..This guideline reviews the evidence on the harmful effects of elevated postmeal glucose and makes recommendations on its treatment, assessment and targets...
- Acarbose treatment and the risk of cardiovascular disease and hypertension in patients with impaired glucose tolerance: the STOP-NIDDM trialJean Louis Chiasson
Research Centre, Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal Hôtel Dieu and Department of Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
JAMA 290:486-94. 2003..The worldwide explosive increase in type 2 diabetes mellitus and its cardiovascular morbidity are becoming major health concerns...
- Rosiglitazone evaluated for cardiovascular outcomes--an interim analysisPhilip D Home
Newcastle Diabetes Centre and Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 357:28-38. 2007..A recent meta-analysis raised concern regarding an increased risk of myocardial infarction and death from cardiovascular causes associated with rosiglitazone treatment of type 2 diabetes...
- Effect of the addition of rosiglitazone to metformin or sulfonylureas versus metformin/sulfonylurea combination therapy on ambulatory blood pressure in people with type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial (the RECORD study)Michel Komajda
Université Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6 Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Cardiovasc Diabetol 7:10. 2008..We therefore used ambulatory BP to quantify BP lowering at 6-12 months with rosiglitazone used in combination with metformin or sulfonylureas compared to metformin and sulfonylureas in people with type 2 diabetes...
- Prandial hyperglycemia: is it important to track and treat?Markolf Hanefeld
Centre of Clinical Studies, GWT Technical University Dresden, Fiedlerstrasse, Dresden 34 01307, Germany
Curr Diab Rep 5:333-9. 2005..Prospective trials have demonstrated that strict control of postprandial hyperglycemia reduces the incidence of cardiovascular events...
- Fluctuations in glycaemia in clinical diabetes mellitus type 2 are not associated with carotid intima-media thickeningKatharina Karrei
Diab Vasc Dis Res 1:51-2. 2004
- Postprandial glucose regulation: new data and new implicationsLawrence A Leiter
St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Clin Ther 27:S42-56. 2005..However, physicians continue to rely on fasting plasma glucose (FPG) and glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c) to guide management...
- Prandial insulin substitution with insulin lispro or insulin lispro mid mixture vs. basal therapy with insulin glargine: a randomized controlled trial in patients with type 2 diabetes beginning insulin therapyChristof Kazda
Lilly Deutschland GmbH, Bad Homburg, Germany
J Diabetes Complications 20:145-52. 2006..To compare the effects of prandial insulin therapy focusing on postprandial glucose control vs. basal insulin therapy focusing on fasting glucose control in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Postprandial glucose regulation and diabetic complicationsAntonio Ceriello
Department of Pathology and Medicine Experimental and Clinical, University of Udine, Udine, Italy
Arch Intern Med 164:2090-5. 2004..The present review examines the hypothesis that controlling postprandial glucose level is an important strategy in the prevention of cardiovascular complications associated with diabetes...
- Postprandial hyperglycaemia and cardiovascular complications of diabetes: an updateAntonio Ceriello
Clinical Science Research Institute, Clinical Science Building, Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 16:453-6. 2006..Therefore, in addition to HbA1c and FPG, physicians should consider monitoring and targeting PPG in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Effect of simvastatin and/or pioglitazone on insulin resistance, insulin secretion, adiponectin, and proinsulin levels in nondiabetic patients at cardiovascular risk--the PIOSTAT StudyThomas Forst
Institute for Clinical Research and Development, Medical Department, D 55116 Mainz, Germany
Metabolism 56:491-6. 2007..05) during PIO/SIM treatment. Lipid parameters improved during SIM treatment but not during PIO treatment. Combined treatment with PIO/SIM was superior in improving overall cardiovascular risk profile than every single drug...
- Association of the calpain-10 gene with type 2 diabetes in Europeans: results of pooled and meta-analysesTakafumi Tsuchiya
Departments of Medicine and Human Genetics, The University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Ave, MC1027, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Mol Genet Metab 89:174-84. 2006..68 (1.33-2.11), P=0.00001). The pooled and meta-analyses as well as the linkage disequilibrium and haplotype diversity studies suggest a role for genetic variation in CAPN10 affecting risk of T2D in Europeans...
- The effect of darapladib on plasma lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 activity and cardiovascular biomarkers in patients with stable coronary heart disease or coronary heart disease risk equivalent: the results of a multicenter, randomized, double-blEmile R Mohler
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 51:1632-41. 2008..This study examined the effects of darapladib, a selective lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A(2) (Lp-PLA(2)) inhibitor, on biomarkers of cardiovascular (CV) risk...
- Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors for patients with type 2 diabetes: response to van de Laar et alMarkolf Hanefeld
Diabetes Care 28:1840; author reply 1841. 2005
- The effect of glucose variability on the risk of microvascular complications in type 1 diabetesLouis Monnier
Diabetes Care 30:185-6; author reply 187-8. 2007
- Introduction: new approaches to managing diabetic dyslipidaemiaMarkolf Hanefeld
Atheroscler Suppl 6:1-2. 2005