Affiliation: Centre for Clinical Studies
- [Screening, prevention and early therapy of type 2 diabetics]M Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, Forschungsbereich Stoffwechsel und Endokrinologie, Dresden
MMW Fortschr Med 146:28-9, 31. 2004..The observation that statins, ACE inhibitors and AT1 blockers also contributed to a reduction of new diabetes cases was made in studies on the prevention of coronary heart diseases...
- [Glycemic control and cardiovascular benefit: What do we know today?]M Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, GWT TUD GmbH, Dresden
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 135:301-7. 2010..This, in turn, requires a growing body of evidence from large, long-term outcome trials - but appropriate data are still unavailable for the vast majority of antidiabetic drugs...
- The effects of orlistat on body weight and glycaemic control in overweight patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized, placebo-controlled trialM Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, GWT Technische Universität Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Obes Metab 4:415-23. 2002..To assess the long-term effects of orlistat on body weight, glycaemic control and cardiovascular risk factors in overweight patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Effects of insulin glargine versus metformin on glycemic variability, microvascular and beta-cell function in early type 2 diabetesF Pistrosch
Study Centre Prof Hanefeld, GWT, Technical University Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Acta Diabetol 50:587-95. 2013..MET treatment resulted in an improvement of microvascular function. Studies of longer duration are needed to evaluate the durability of glucose control and β cell protection with early GLA treatment...
- Effects of the alpha glucosidase inhibitor acarbose on endothelial function after a mixed meal in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetesF Pistrosch
Department of Medicine, Technical University of Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Horm Metab Res 41:104-8. 2009..Early type 2 diabetes is a state of both fasting and postprandial ED, which is not sensitive to acarbose treatment. Protective cardiovascular effects of acarbose might involve other mechanisms...
- Effect of targeting normal fasting glucose levels with basal insulin glargine on glycaemic variability and risk of hypoglycaemia: a randomized, controlled study in patients with early Type 2 diabetesM Hanefeld
GWT TUD GmbH, Center for Clinical Studies, Dresden, Germany
Diabet Med 27:175-80. 2010....
- Effect of acarbose on postmeal mononuclear blood cell response in patients with early type 2 diabetes: the AI(I)DA studyM Hanefeld
Center for Clinical Studies, GWT Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Horm Metab Res 41:132-6. 2009..Postprandial metabolic and inflammatory parameters were strongly interrelated. These results suggest pleiotropic effects of acarbose, which may contribute to its vasoprotective potentials...
- Relationship between diurnal glucose levels and HbA1c in type 2 diabetesF Pistrosch
Nephrology, Dept of Medicine, University Hospital, Dresden, Germany
Horm Metab Res 38:455-9. 2006..The areas under the curve above fasting BG (AUC1) and above 5.6 mmol/l (AUC2) were calculated for further evaluation. Hb (A1c) was measured at baseline and after a mean of 89 (74 to 108) days...
- Polymorphisms in perilipin gene (PLIN) are not associated with obesity and weight variation in people with high risk of type 2 diabetesA Bergmann
Health Care Centre of Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus of the Technical University Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 116:S56-8. 2008..But some other studies showed that, this association was not significant in Chinese and French . The aim of the current study was to examine whether the associations manifested in a German population with high risk of type 2 diabetes...
- Glycemic control and treatment failure with pioglitazone versus glibenclamide in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a 42-month, open-label, observational, primary care studyM Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, GWT Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 22:1211-5. 2006..It has been suggested that deteriorating glycemic control is related to baseline hemoglobin A(1c) (HbA(1c)) values and remaining beta-cell function...
- Relationship between HbA1c on target, risk of silent hypoglycemia and glycemic variability in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusB Engler
GWT TUD GmbH, Center for Clinical Studies, Dresden, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 119:59-61. 2011..We aimed to compare time spent at low glucose level (silent hypoglycemia, glucose <3.0 mmol/l) and glycemic variability in patients who reached HbA1c <7.0% with those who did not...
- Once-daily sitagliptin, a dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor, for the treatment of patients with type 2 diabetesMarkolf Hanefeld
GWT Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 23:1329-39. 2007..Additionally, the glycemic response to sitagliptin 100 mg daily was evaluated as a once-daily (100 mg once-daily) or twice-daily (50 mg twice-daily) dosing regimen...
- [The metabolic syndrome: where are we going and for what benefits?]M Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, Forschungsbereich Endokrinologie und Stoffwechsel, GWT, Technische Universität Dresden GmbH, Dresden, Germany
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 131:S236-9. 2006..Building on a "common soil" for the disease components, optimal treatment can be provided and side effect as well as costs reduced...
- Comparison of the prevalence of the metabolic syndrome by WHO, AHA/NHLBI, and IDF definitions in a German population with type 2 diabetes: the Diabetes in Germany (DIG) StudyC Koehler
Centre for Clinical Study, GWT TUD GmbH, Dresden, Germany
Horm Metab Res 39:632-5. 2007..Four-thousand and twenty participants as a cross section of daily practice of diabetes care in Germany (238 unselected sites) were included in the Diabetes in Germany (DIG) study...
- The role of pioglitazone in modifying the atherogenic lipoprotein profileM Hanefeld
GWT TUD GmbH, Centre for Clinical Studies, Department of Metabolic Research and Endocrinology, Dresden Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Obes Metab 11:742-56. 2009..The antidyslipidaemic effects of pioglitazone--in particular, improvements in HDL-C and reduction of small dense LDL3--may have contributed to these effects...
- [Differential type 2 diabetes therapy based on pathophysiological aspects]M Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, GWT TU Dresden
Ther Umsch 59:393-401. 2002..Instead of a stepwise treatment algorithm an individualized therapy based on pathophysiology and comorbidities taking into account the global risk seems to be beneficial...
- Control of post-prandial hyperglycemia--an essential part of good diabetes treatment and prevention of cardiovascular complicationsM Hanefeld
Center of Clinical Studies, Technical University Dresden, Fiedlerstrasse 34, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 12:98-107. 2002..This article reviews the relationship between the control of post-prandial hyperglycemia and diabetes-related complications...
- Acarbose reduces the risk for myocardial infarction in type 2 diabetic patients: meta-analysis of seven long-term studiesM Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, GWT, Technical University of Dresden, Fiedlerstrasse 34, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Eur Heart J 25:10-6. 2004..To assess if treatment with the alpha-glucosidase inhibitor acarbose can reduce cardiovascular events in type 2 diabetic patients...
- [Hyperlipidemia and fibrates with special reference to diabetes]E Henkel
Zentrum Klinische Studien GWT TU Dresden
Herz 26:523-30. 2001..A definite answer with respect to the benefit/risk ratio of fibrates should be provided by large ongoing studies with these drugs in representative groups of diabetes patients (LDS, TrUMPET, FIELD)...
- Outcome studies in type 2 diabetesM Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, GWT Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 21:S41-8. 2005....
- [History and definition(s) of metabolic syndrome]M Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, Forschungsbereich Endokrinologie und Stoffwechsel, GWT TUD GmbH, 01307, Fiedlerstrasse 34, Dresden, Deutschland
Internist (Berl) 48:117-25. 2007..Thus, simple, collective diagnostics and therapy for this finely meshed group of diseases together with its risk factors is possible...
- Different effects of acarbose and glibenclamide on proinsulin and insulin profiles in people with Type 2 diabetesM Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies GWT TU Dresden, Technical University, Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 55:221-7. 2002..In a double-blind, placebo-controlled study, we compared the effect of acarbose (A) and glibenclamide (G) on post-prandial (pp) and 24-h profiles of proinsulin and insulin...
- An update on preventive and regenerative therapies in diabetes mellitusM Reimann
Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Pharmacol Ther 121:317-31. 2009..Lastly, important efforts to halt disease progression with emphasis on beta-cell regeneration are presented...
- Improved metabolic control by Ipomoea batatas (Caiapo) is associated with increased adiponectin and decreased fibrinogen levels in type 2 diabetic subjectsB Ludvik
Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Diabetes Obes Metab 10:586-92. 2008..The present study was designed to further evaluate its mode of action on insulin sensitivity over an extended period of time as well as the effects on fibrinogen and other markers of low-grade inflammation...
- Effect of rosiglitazone on the frequency of diabetes in patients with impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting glucose: a randomised controlled trialH C Gerstein
Lancet 368:1096-105. 2006..The aim of this study was to assess prospectively the drug's ability to prevent type 2 diabetes in individuals at high risk of developing the condition...
- Efficacy and safety of the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor sitagliptin as monotherapy in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusI Raz
Diabetes Research Center, Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Diabetologia 49:2564-71. 2006..The aim of this study was to assess the efficacy and safety of sitagliptin (MK-0431) as monotherapy in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and inadequate glycaemic control (HbA(1c) > or =7% and < or =10%) on exercise and diet...
- Long-term effect of octreotide in acromegaly on insulin resistanceM Breidert
Medizinische Klinik, , Germany
Horm Metab Res 27:226-30. 1995..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- Prevention of diabetes and cardiovascular disease in patients with impaired glucose tolerance: rationale and design of the Nateglinide And Valsartan in Impaired Glucose Tolerance Outcomes Research (NAVIGATOR) TrialRobert M Califf
Duke Transitional Medicine Institute, Durham, NC 27715, USA
Am Heart J 156:623-32. 2008..The study was designed to evaluate whether reducing postprandial hyperglycemia, blockade of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system, or both interventions reduce the risk of T2DM or cardiovascular events in patients with IGT...
- Rosiglitazone RECORD study: glucose control outcomes at 18 monthsP D Home
Newcastle Diabetes Centre and Newcastle University, UK
Diabet Med 24:626-34. 2007..To compare glucose control over 18 months between rosiglitazone oral combination therapy and combination metformin and sulphonylurea in people with Type 2 diabetes...
- Intensive blood glucose control and vascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetesAnushka Patel
N Engl J Med 358:2560-72. 2008..In patients with type 2 diabetes, the effects of intensive glucose control on vascular outcomes remain uncertain...
- Visfatin: a putative biomarker for metabolic syndrome is not influenced by pioglitazone or simvastatin treatment in nondiabetic patients at cardiovascular risk -- results from the PIOSTAT studyA Pfutzner
1Institute for Clinical Research and Development, Mainz, Germany
Horm Metab Res 39:764-8. 2007....
- Effects of ramipril and rosiglitazone on cardiovascular and renal outcomes in people with impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting glucose: results of the Diabetes REduction Assessment with ramipril and rosiglitazone Medication (DREAM) trialG R Dagenais
Laval University Heart and Lung Institute, 2725 Chemin Ste Foy, Quebec, Quebec City, Canada
Diabetes Care 31:1007-14. 2008..We determined the effects of ramipril and rosiglitazone on combined and individual CVD and renal outcomes in people with IGT and/or IFG in the Diabetes REduction Assessment With ramipril and rosiglitazone Medication (DREAM) trial...
- Rosiglitazone Evaluated for Cardiac Outcomes and Regulation of Glycaemia in Diabetes (RECORD): study design and protocolP D Home
School of Clinical Medical Sciences Diabetes, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Medical School, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, UK
Diabetologia 48:1726-35. 2005....
- To: Strey CH, Young J, Collier M, Florkowski CM, Shand BI, Scott RS (2004) The postprandial state does not impair endothelial function in women with Type 2 diabetes irrespective of glycaemic control. Diabetologia 47:1838-1846A Ceriello
Diabetologia 48:1423-4; author reply 1425-6. 2005
- [Therapy decision based on the glucose triad. Drug treatment of type 2 diabetes]M Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, GWT TU Dresden mbH
MMW Fortschr Med 145:30-4. 2003..This also applies to the combination with insulin...
- STOP-NIDDM: a new paradigm for diabetes prevention?M Hanefeld
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 12:253-8. 2002
- Influence of treatment with acarbose or glibenclamide on insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetic patientsS Fischer
Institute and Outpatient Department of Clinical Metabolic Research, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus of the Technical University Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Obes Metab 5:38-44. 2003..The aim of our double-blind, placebo-controlled study was to compare the effect of acarbose and glibenclamide on the insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetes...
- Insulin-resistant patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus have higher serum leptin levels independently of body fat massS Fischer
Institute of Clinical Metabolic Research, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, University of Technology Dresden, Fetscherstrasse 74, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Acta Diabetol 39:105-10. 2002..Our data point to a functional relationship between insulin resistance and leptin concentrations in insulin-resistant type 2 diabetic men, independently of body composition. This relationship is believed to be mediated by insulin...
- Impaired glucose tolerance is not associated with lipid intoleranceE Henkel
Centre of Clinical Studies Metabolism and Endocrinology, Science and Technology Transfer GWT, Technial University Dresden, Germany
Diabetes Nutr Metab 15:84-90. 2002..In conclusion, IGT subjects with a similar level of fasting TG do not exhibit lipid intolerance. Our data suggest that glucose intolerance should precede lipid intolerance...
- Subclinical inflammation is strongly related to insulin resistance but not to impaired insulin secretion in a high risk population for diabetesT Temelkova-Kurktschiev
Centre for Clinical Studies Metabolism and Endocrinology, Science and Technology Transfer, Technical University Dresden, Germany
Metabolism 51:743-9. 2002....
- [The new oral antidiabetics. Type 2 diabetes under control only with tablets?]M Hanefeld
Zentrums für Klinische Studien, Forschungsbereich Endokrinologie u Stoffwechsel, TU Dresden
MMW Fortschr Med 143:38-42. 2001..However, this fact does not justify delaying treatment with insulin, which is always needed when the goals of treatment cannot be achieved with oral preparations...
- Improved glycaemic control with miglitol in inadequately-controlled type 2 diabeticsE Standl
Schwabing Hospital, Koelner Platz 1, D-80804 Munich, Germany
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 51:205-13. 2001..No cases of hypoglycaemia were reported. CONCLUSIONS: Miglitol can safely and effectively be added to long-term combination therapy in people with Type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with glibenclamide plus metformin...
- [Significance of triglycerides for other metabolic parameters in the familial metabolic syndrome]W Metzler
Medizinische Klinik Leiter U R Fölsch, Universitatsklinikum Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 128:1941-6. 2003..We therefore studied the importance of the triglycerides within a defined glycemic state in patients with an elevated familial risk for metabolic diseases...
- A long-term comparison of pioglitazone and gliclazide in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized, double-blind, parallel-group comparison trialB H Charbonnel
Clinique d Endocrinologie, Hotel Dieu, F 44093 Nantes cedex 1, France
Diabet Med 22:399-405. 2005..This study compared the effects of pioglitazone and gliclazide on metabolic control in drug-naive patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Long-term therapy with addition of pioglitazone to metformin compared with the addition of gliclazide to metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized, comparative studyD R Matthews
Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Churchill Hospital, Oxford, UK
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 21:167-74. 2005..This 52-week, randomized, double-blind study compared the efficacy and safety of metformin plus pioglitazone with the established combination of metformin plus gliclazide in type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- [Hyperglycemia and cardiovascular events]C A Schneider
Klinik III fur Innere Medizin, Universitat zu Koln
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 129:2553-7. 2004..In summary, the early detection and treatment of abnormalities of glucose metabolism reduces cardiac events...
- Efficacy and safety of pioglitazone versus metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a double-blind, randomized trialG Schernthaner
Department of Medicine I, Rudolfstiftung Hospital, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:6068-76. 2004..HbA1c reduction is similar after pioglitazone and metformin monotherapies, but differences in FPG, plasma lipids, and adverse effects between the two compounds may influence decision-making in individual prescribers...
- [Glucose-independent impact of the glitazones on the cardiovascular outcome]M Hanefeld
Zentrum für Klinische Studien, Forschungsbereich Endokrinologie und Stoffwechsel, TU Dresden
MMW Fortschr Med 147:37-9. 2005..The first results from the PROactive study--the design of which, together with the data at study begin have already been published--are expected to become available by the end of 2005...
- Long-term efficacy and tolerability of add-on pioglitazone therapy to failing monotherapy compared with addition of gliclazide or metformin in patients with type 2 diabetesB Charbonnel
Endocrinology Clinic, Hotel Dieu, Place Alexis Ricordeau, 44093, Nantes Cedex 1, France
Diabetologia 48:1093-104. 2005....
- Acarbose for the prevention of Type 2 diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular disease in subjects with impaired glucose tolerance: facts and interpretations concerning the critical analysis of the STOP-NIDDM Trial dataJ L Chiasson
Research Centre, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal Hotel Dieu, Department of Medicine, University of Montreal, 3850 St Urbain Street, Rm 8 202, Montreal, Quebec H2W 1T7, Canada
Diabetologia 47:969-75; discussion 976-7. 2004..The investigators stand strongly behind these results demonstrating that acarbose treatment is associated with a delay in the development of diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular complications in a high-risk population with IGT...
- The metabolic syndrome--a postprandial disease?M Hanefeld
Horm Metab Res 38:435-6. 2006
- The lipid triad in type 2 diabetes - prevalence and relevance of hypertriglyceridaemia/low high-density lipoprotein syndrome in type 2 diabetesT Temelkova-Kurktschiev
Centre for Clinical Studies, Technical University Dresden, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 112:75-9. 2004..Postprandial HTG was also shown to be correlated with increased IMT in type 2 diabetic patients...
- Search for mitochondrial DNA mutation at position 3243 in German patients with a positive family history of maternal diabetes mellitusT Klemm
Medical Department III, Leipzig University, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 109:283-7. 2001..6% of the patients. We therefore conclude that the frequency of the A3243G mutation is much lower in the investigated study population, mostly originating from Saxonia, than in asian populations...
- Effect of the angiotensin II receptor antagonist valsartan on lipid profile and glucose metabolism in patients with hypertensionM Hanefeld
Centre for Clinical Studies, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Research, Technical University of Dresden, Germany
J Int Med Res 29:270-9. 2001..In conclusion, in addition to the marked decrease in blood pressure, valsartan significantly reduces total and LDL cholesterol levels and is neutral on glucose metabolism...
- Subclinical inflammation in newly detected Type II diabetes and impaired glucose toleranceT Temelkova-Kurktschiev
Diabetologia 45:151. 2002
- [Primary prevention of type 2 diabetes]M Hanefeld
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 127:951-2. 2002
- [Predictors of abnormal glucose tolerance in persons at risk of type 2 diabetes: the RIAD study]E Henkel
Zentrum für Klinische Studien GWT TU Dresden, Germany
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 127:953-7. 2002..So far it is not clear which anthropometric and metabolic/hormonal parameters are of importance in the conversion of normal to impaired glucose tolerance...
- The challenge of the Metabolic SyndromeM Hanefeld
Horm Metab Res 39:625-6. 2007