- Deep brain stimulationSorin Breit
Department of General Neurology, Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research, Center of Neurology, University of Tubingen, Hoppe Seyler Strasse 3, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Cell Tissue Res 318:275-88. 2004..Further studies will be needed to elucidate if STN-DBS indeed provides a slow-down of disease progression...
- Combined STN/SNr-DBS for the treatment of refractory gait disturbances in Parkinson's disease: study protocol for a randomized controlled trialDaniel Weiss
German Centre of Neurodegenerative Diseases, Tubingen, Germany
Trials 12:222. 2011..High-frequent stimulation of the substantia nigra pars reticulata preferentially modulated axial symptoms and therefore is suggested as a novel therapeutic candidate target for neuromodulation of refractory gait disturbances in PD...
- Long-term EMG recordings differentiate between parkinsonian and essential tremorS Breit
Center of Neurology and Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research, Depatment of Neurodegeneration, University of Tubingen, Hoppe Seyler Str 3, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
J Neurol 255:103-11. 2008..We conclude that long-term EMG recording allows a rater-independent classification of parkinsonian versus essential tremor...
- Bilateral changes in neuronal activity of the basal ganglia in the unilateral 6-hydroxydopamine rat modelS Breit
Center of Neurology and Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research, Department of Neurodegeneration, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
J Neurosci Res 86:1388-96. 2008....
- Effects of 6-hydroxydopamine-induced severe or partial lesion of the nigrostriatal pathway on the neuronal activity of pallido-subthalamic network in the ratS Breit
INSERM U 318, Department of Preclinical Neurobiology, Joseph Fourier University, Grenoble, France
Exp Neurol 205:36-47. 2007..These data suggest that in the GP-STN-GP network, the excitatory influence of the STN-GP pathway overrides that of the GABAergic GP-STN pathway, questioning the classical model of basal ganglia organization...
- Lesion of the pedunculopontine nucleus reverses hyperactivity of the subthalamic nucleus and substantia nigra pars reticulata in a 6-hydroxydopamine rat modelS Breit
Center of Neurology and Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research, Department of Neurodegeneration, University of Tubingen, Hoppe Seyler Str 3, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 24:2275-82. 2006..Moreover, these findings could indicate a new therapeutic strategy in PD by interventional modulation of the PPN...
- Pretargeting for the implantation of stimulation electrodes into the subthalamic nucleus: a comparative study of magnetic resonance imaging and ventriculographySorin Breit
INSERM U 318, Department of Neurobiology, University Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France
Neurosurgery 58:ONS83-95. 2006..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the accuracy of the preoperative MRI targeting as compared with ventriculography in terms of both the STN target as well as the internal landmarks...
- Unilateral lesion of the pedunculopontine nucleus induces hyperactivity in the subthalamic nucleus and substantia nigra in the ratS Breit
Neurodegeneration Department, Center of Neurology and Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research, University of Tubingen, Hoppe Seyler Strasse 3, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 22:2283-94. 2005..Moreover, the decreased activity of SNc cells observed after PPN lesion might be at the origin of activity changes in the STN and SNr...
- Effective thalamic deep brain stimulation for neuropathic tremor in a patient with severe demyelinating neuropathyS Breit
Centre of Neurology and Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research, University of Tubingen, Germany
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 80:235-6. 2009..The clinical benefit of the stimulation remained stable over a 1 year postoperative observation period...
- Intraoperative microrecordings of the subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson's diseaseAbdelhamid Benazzouz
Department of Clinical and Biological Neurosciences, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U 318, University Hospital A Michallon, Pavillon B, Grenoble, France
Mov Disord 17:S145-9. 2002..In conclusion, microelectrode recording of the subthalamic area improves the accuracy of targeting the STN...
- Involuntary eyelid closure after STN-DBS: evidence for different pathophysiological entitiesDaniel Weiss
Center of Neurology, Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research, and German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases DZNE, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 81:1002-7. 2010..To gain insight into the hitherto undefined pathophysiology of IEC after STN-DBS, we performed a comprehensive clinical and electrophysiological characterisation of lid function in a total of six PD patients...
- [(11)C]d-threo-methylphenidate PET in patients with Parkinson's disease and essential tremorS Breit
Department of Neurology, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
J Neural Transm 113:187-93. 2006..11)C]dMP appears to be a useful and sensitive marker of dopaminergic dysfunction in PD and can be used to assess and monitor disease severity...