- An interferon-induced helicase (IFIH1) gene polymorphism associates with different rates of progression from autoimmunity to type 1 diabetesChristiane Winkler
Forschergruppe Diabetes e V at Helmholtz Center Munich, Neuherberg, Germany
Diabetes 60:685-90. 2011..The aim of this study was to determine whether these associations are with the development of autoimmunity and/or progression to diabetes...
- A strategy to find gene combinations that identify children who progress rapidly to type 1 diabetes after islet autoantibody seroconversionEzio Bonifacio
Center for Regenerative Therapies Dresden, Technische Universitat Dresden, Fetscherstrasse 105, 01307, Dresden, Germany
Acta Diabetol 51:403-11. 2014..These findings highlight genes that may affect the rate of the beta-cell destruction process once autoimmunity has initiated and may help to identify islet autoantibody-positive subjects with rapid progression to diabetes. ..
- The use of biomaterials in islet transplantationDanielle J Borg
Preclinical Approaches to Stem Cell Therapy Diabetes, Technische Universitat Dresden, DFG Center for Regenerative Therapies Dresden, Cluster of Excellence, Tatzberg 47 49, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Curr Diab Rep 11:434-44. 2011..Here we review the application of niche accessory cells and factors, as well as the use of biomaterials as carriers or capsules, for pancreatic islet transplantation...
- Mucosal insulin vaccination for type 1 diabetes preventionE Bonifacio
CRTD, Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 116:S26-9. 2008..Here we address these issues and propose a clinical translation possibility for mucosal insulin administration in genetically at risk individuals...
- Advances in the prediction and natural history of type 1 diabetesEzio Bonifacio
Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft Center for Regenerative Therapies Dresden, Technische Universitat Dresden, Tatzberg 47 49, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 39:513-25. 2010..This article reviews these biomarkers and T1D prediction strategies, and discusses potential implications of prediction and natural history for the pathogenesis of T1D...
- Harmonization of glutamic acid decarboxylase and islet antigen-2 autoantibody assays for national institute of diabetes and digestive and kidney diseases consortiaEzio Bonifacio
Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft Center for Regenerative Therapies, 01307 Dresden, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:3360-7. 2010..A harmonization program was established to increase comparability of results within and among these studies...
- Autoantibodies to zinc transporter 8 and SLC30A8 genotype stratify type 1 diabetes riskP Achenbach
Diabetes Research Institute of Forschergruppe Diabetes e V, Helmholtz Center Munich, Ingolstaedter Landstr 1, 85764, Neuherberg, Germany
Diabetologia 52:1881-8. 2009..Our aim was to determine the relationships between autoantibodies to zinc transporter 8 (ZnT8), genotypes of the ZnT8-encoding gene SLC30A8 and type 1 diabetes risk...
- Insulin autoantibodies with high affinity to the bovine milk protein alpha caseinK Adler
Diabetes Research Institute, Forschergruppe Diabetes e V, Munich Center for Regenerative Therapies Dresden, Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Clin Exp Immunol 164:42-9. 2011..These results suggest that autoimmunity to insulin can occur infrequently via cross-reactivity to food proteins, but this form of IAA immunization does not appear to be associated with progression to diabetes...
- Endocrine autoimmunity in families with type 1 diabetes: frequent appearance of thyroid autoimmunity during late childhood and adolescenceE Bonifacio
DFG Research Center and Cluster of Excellence for Regenerative Therapies Dresden, Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Diabetologia 52:185-92. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine the chronological appearance of thyroid autoantibodies in relation to other forms of autoimmunity in at-risk children...
- Is islet autoimmunity related to insulin sensitivity or body weight in children of parents with type 1 diabetes?C Winkler
Institut für Diabetesforschung der Forschergruppe Diabetes e V, Helmholtz Center Munich, Neuherberg, Germany
Diabetologia 52:2072-8. 2009..The aim of the present study was to determine whether insulin demand is increased in children with islet autoantibodies...
- IGRP and insulin vaccination induce CD8+ T cell-mediated autoimmune diabetes in the RIP-CD80GP mouseY F Fuchs
DFG Center for Regenerative Therapies Dresden CRTD, Technische Universitat Dresden, Dresden, Germany Paul Langerhans Institute Dresden German Center for Diabetes Research DZD, Dresden, Germany
Clin Exp Immunol 176:199-206. 2014..We conclude that RIP-CD80GP mice are a versatile model of antigen specific autoimmune diabetes and may complement existing mouse models of autoimmune diabetes for evaluating CD8(+) T cell-targeted prevention strategies. ..
- The effect of gestation and fetal mismatching on the development of autoimmune diabetes in non-obese diabetic miceK Adler
Diabetes Research Institute, Forschergruppe Diabetes e V, Munich, Germany
Clin Exp Immunol 168:274-8. 2012..Gestation per se appears to have no aggravating or ameliorating effects on pre-existent autoimmune beta cell destruction, but pregnancy from MHC partially mismatched males delays diabetes onset in female NOD mice...
- An update on preventive and regenerative therapies in diabetes mellitusM Reimann
Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Pharmacol Ther 121:317-31. 2009..Lastly, important efforts to halt disease progression with emphasis on beta-cell regeneration are presented...
- The relative merits of cord blood as a cell source for autologous T regulatory cell therapy in type 1 diabetesA Theil
DFG Center for Regenerative Therapies, Technische Universitat Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Horm Metab Res 47:48-55. 2015..Our findings suggest that cord blood is an excellent source of T regulatory cells for expansion and autologous cell therapy that may be considered as a strategy to prevent immune-mediated destruction of beta cells in type 1 diabetes. ..