- The use of biomaterials in islet transplantationDanielle J Borg
Preclinical Approaches to Stem Cell Therapy Diabetes, Technische Universitat Dresden, DFG Center for Regenerative Therapies Dresden, Cluster of Excellence, Tatzberg 47 49, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Curr Diab Rep 11:434-44. 2011..Here we review the application of niche accessory cells and factors, as well as the use of biomaterials as carriers or capsules, for pancreatic islet transplantation...
- Mucosal insulin vaccination for type 1 diabetes preventionE Bonifacio
CRTD, Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 116:S26-9. 2008..Here we address these issues and propose a clinical translation possibility for mucosal insulin administration in genetically at risk individuals...
- Harmonization of glutamic acid decarboxylase and islet antigen-2 autoantibody assays for national institute of diabetes and digestive and kidney diseases consortiaEzio Bonifacio
Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft Center for Regenerative Therapies, 01307 Dresden, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:3360-7. 2010..A harmonization program was established to increase comparability of results within and among these studies...
- Advances in the prediction and natural history of type 1 diabetesEzio Bonifacio
Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft Center for Regenerative Therapies Dresden, Technische Universitat Dresden, Tatzberg 47 49, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 39:513-25. 2010..This article reviews these biomarkers and T1D prediction strategies, and discusses potential implications of prediction and natural history for the pathogenesis of T1D...
- Endocrine autoimmunity in families with type 1 diabetes: frequent appearance of thyroid autoimmunity during late childhood and adolescenceE Bonifacio
DFG Research Center and Cluster of Excellence for Regenerative Therapies Dresden, Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Diabetologia 52:185-92. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine the chronological appearance of thyroid autoantibodies in relation to other forms of autoimmunity in at-risk children...
- Insulin autoantibodies with high affinity to the bovine milk protein alpha caseinK Adler
Diabetes Research Institute, Forschergruppe Diabetes e V, Munich Center for Regenerative Therapies Dresden, Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Clin Exp Immunol 164:42-9. 2011..These results suggest that autoimmunity to insulin can occur infrequently via cross-reactivity to food proteins, but this form of IAA immunization does not appear to be associated with progression to diabetes...
- The effect of gestation and fetal mismatching on the development of autoimmune diabetes in non-obese diabetic miceK Adler
Diabetes Research Institute, Forschergruppe Diabetes e V, Munich, Germany
Clin Exp Immunol 168:274-8. 2012..Gestation per se appears to have no aggravating or ameliorating effects on pre-existent autoimmune beta cell destruction, but pregnancy from MHC partially mismatched males delays diabetes onset in female NOD mice...
- An update on preventive and regenerative therapies in diabetes mellitusM Reimann
Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Pharmacol Ther 121:317-31. 2009..Lastly, important efforts to halt disease progression with emphasis on beta-cell regeneration are presented...
- An interferon-induced helicase (IFIH1) gene polymorphism associates with different rates of progression from autoimmunity to type 1 diabetesChristiane Winkler
Forschergruppe Diabetes e V at Helmholtz Center Munich, Neuherberg, Germany
Diabetes 60:685-90. 2011..The aim of this study was to determine whether these associations are with the development of autoimmunity and/or progression to diabetes...