- Antiinflammatory effects of euclyptol (1.8-cineole) in bronchial asthma: inhibition of arachidonic acid metabolism in human blood monocytes ex vivoU R Juergens
Abteilung Pneumologie, Medizinische Universitäts Poliklinik Bonn, Wilhelmstrasse 35 37, D 53111 Bonn, Germany
Eur J Med Res 3:407-12. 1998..7%, n = 8 respectively). In conclusion, 1.8-cineole was shown to inhibit LTB4 and PGE2, both pathways of AA-metabolism. Further studies are needed to show that 1.8-cineole is suitable in the treatment of bronchial asthma...
- Pet-fish food lung- a new form of extrinsic allergic alveolitisM Woltsche
Department of Pulmonology Enzenbach, Hörgas 30, A 8112 Gratwein, Austria
Eur J Med Res 5:122-3. 2000..Some ingredients of pet-fish food are known triggers of type I allergy. To our knowledge, this is the first case in which pet-fish food is reported as causative agent inducing type III allergy...
- Ocular massage in a case of central retinal artery occlusion the successful treatment of a hitherto undescribed type of embolismD Schmidt
Universitats Augenklinik, Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Med Res 5:157-64. 2000..The pathogenesis of central retinal artery occlusions (CRAO) varies, depending upon the underlying disease. An embolic origin of an occlusion often occurs...
- Relations between the frequency of the DeltaF 508 mutation and the course of pulmonary disease in cystic fibrosis patients infected with Pseudomonas aeruginosaJ Rosenecker
Department of Pediatrics, University of Munich, Lindwurmstr 4, D 80336 Munich, Germany
Eur J Med Res 5:356-9. 2000..These findings indicate that the course of pulmonary disease in CF patients is at least partially influenced by the frequency of the DeltaF 508 mutation...
- Functional methods for evaluation the occurrence of delayed ischemic deficit in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhageL Haralanov
Department of Neurology, Medical University of Sofia, Queen Joanna Hospital, 8 Bialo more Street, 1528 Sofia, Bulgaria
Eur J Med Res 6:185-9. 2001..The patient had clinical signs of sensory aphasia, which resolved completely after one-week treatment with nimodipine...
- The early preclinical diagnosis of osteoporosis measuring the pure trabecular bone densityR Gass
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Med Res 6:228-30. 2001..5% per year (prevalence about 35%). Only women with very high trabecular BMD (in highest quintile) have no risk for osteoporosis...
- Regular intake of non-opioid analgesics is associated with an increased risk of restless legs syndrome in patients maintained on antidepressantsU Leutgeb
The Practice Rotmaintal for the Treatment of Affective and Anxiety Disorders, Heinersreuth, Germany
Eur J Med Res 7:368-78. 2002..To evaluate prevalence and risk factors of restless legs syndrome (RLS) in secondary-care patients maintained on tricyclic and serotonin reuptake inhibiting antidepressants...
- Superior safety of reboxetine over amitryptiline in the elderlyMarcus W Agelink
Dept of Biological Psychiatry and Neuroscience, Evangl Clinics Gelsenkirchen, Ruhr University of Bochum, Munckelstr, Germany
Eur J Med Res 7:415-6. 2002..A few month later she ingested 48 mg reboxetine with suicidal intent. Overdosing of reboxetine, a selective noradrenaline re-uptake inhibitor, proceeded without complications...
- Longitudinal evaluation of serum estradiol and estrone in male patients infected with the human immunodeficiency virusJ Teichmann
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik III, Universistätsklinikum der Justus Liebig Universistät Giessen, Germany
Eur J Med Res 8:77-80. 2003..The altered relation of estrogens and testosterone may in a part be responsible for the complaints of decreased libido and increased impotence often observed in HIV-infected men...
- Recollection about Werner Forssmann as a surgeonAbdul José Delfino
Clinic of Cardiosurgery, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba RA, Calle Pedro J Frias 138, X5000ECB Cordoba, Argentina
Eur J Med Res 11:413-4. 2006..Many residents came from foreign countries, especially from Argentina. The daily work of the clinics is depicted and the character of Werner Forssmann as a surgeon is understood from his education...
- Long-term results of laser treatment for retinal angiomatosis in von Hippel-Lindau diseaseD Schmidt
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Med Res 5:47-58. 2000..In von Hippel-Lindau disease (VHL), retinal detachment is often a real threat if the retinal angiomas are left untreated. The aim of this trial was to diagnose and treat capillary angiomas early at an asymptomatic stage...
- Prevalence of cervical and lumbar disc disorders in pilots of the German armed forcesT Pippig
FG Orthopädie am FlMedInstLw, D 82242 Fürstenfeldbruck, Germany
Eur J Med Res 5:5-8. 2000..1830 h, helicopter p.: 3186 h, transport A/C p.: 2670 h). - Finally, the total group of pilots will be compared to a non-flying control group (consisting of air traffic control personnel of 11 army aviation regiments...
- Continuous assessment of intraocular pressure - telematic transmission, even under flight- or space mission conditionsJ Draeger
Universitats Augenklinik, Martinistr 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Eur J Med Res 5:2-4. 2000..New technical solutions allowing for the first time even telematic data transmission, are reported...
- The anti-inflammatory activity of L-menthol compared to mint oil in human monocytes in vitro: a novel perspective for its therapeutic use in inflammatory diseasesU R Juergens
Abteilung Pneumologie, Medizinische Universitäts Poliklinik, Wilhelmstrasse 35 37, D 53111 Bonn, Germany
Eur J Med Res 3:539-45. 1998..Therefore, clinical trials investigating the potential therapeutic efficacy of L-menthol for treatment of chronic inflammatory disorders such as bronchial asthma, colitis and allergic rhinitis seem worthwhile...
- Primarily infected cephalhematoma and osteomyelitis in a newbornC J Miedema
Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, University Hospital Utrecht, PB 18009, 3501 CA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur J Med Res 4:8-10. 1999..We report a newborn with a primarily infected cephalhematoma complicated by parietal bone osteomyelitis...
- Failure of double protease inhibitor therapy as a salvage therapy for HIV-infected patients resistant to conventional triple therapyJ K Rockstroh
Department of Medicine, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, D 53105 Bonn, Germany
Eur J Med Res 4:271-4. 1999..Our data suggest that HIV-infected patients resistant to indinavir or ritonavir and double NRTI combination therapy respond to double PI nelfinavir/saquinavir and D4T rescue therapy only initially but have no sustained benefit...
- Colorectal cancer: A rational follow-up program adapted to patient's individual risk of recurrence and review of the literatureM Schorr
Chirurgische Klinik und Poliklinik, Klinikum Innenstadt, LMU Munchen, Nussbaumstrasse 20, D 80336 MUnchen, Germany
Eur J Med Res 4:275-82. 1999..By such an approach the number of apparative examinations and the cost of a follow-up program could be theoretically reduced by more than 50%...
- A study on the effect of oxygen bolus breathing or pressure breathing on oxygen saturation, at rest or under physical strain (bicycle ergometer) at 14,000 ft altitudeH Pongratz
German Air Force Institute of Aviation Medicine, Division III Research and Training Aviation Medicine, P O Box 1264 KFL, D 82242 Fürstenfeldbruck, Germany
Eur J Med Res 4:371-4. 1999..Pressurized breathing seems to be an appropriate emergency measure when a sudden pressure loss occurs in an aircraft for a short while provided that the subject is familiar with the breathing technique...
- Lung function requirements in flying duty the problem of bronchial hyperresponsiveness in military aircrewC M Hartmann
German Air Force Institute of Aviation Medicine, Division I, P O Box 1264 KFL, D 82242 Fürstenfeldbruck, Germany
Eur J Med Res 4:375-8. 1999..In individuals with latent BHR physostigmine will lower the threshold for bronchial reactions considerably and even cause manifest bronchospasm...
- Leiomyosarcoma of the thyroid gland with rapid growth and tracheal obstruction: A partial thyroidectomy and tracheostomy using an ultrasonically activated scalpel can be safely performed with less bleedingK Tsugawa
Department of Surgery II, Faculty of Medicine, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Eur J Med Res 4:483-7. 1999..The use of an ultrasonically activated scalpel and tracheostomy thus allowed us to safely perform a thyroidectomy with substantially less bleeding than normal...
- A fluorescein angiographic study of branch retinal artery occlusion (BRAO) - the retrograde filling of occluded vesselsD Schmidt
Universitats Augenklinik, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Med Res 4:491-506. 1999..For assessing the prognosis of a branch retinal artery occlusion (BRAO), examination of the arterial blood flow by fluorescein angiography is necessary...
- When cardiology became a separate matterHans Blömer
Hochwald Str 18, 85598 Baldham, Germany
Eur J Med Res 11:415-7. 2006..The development presented here would not have been possible without the cardiac catheter...
- Reproterol--A monomolecular combination of orciprenaline and theophylline: novel aspects of its mode of action in asthmaU R Juergens
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, Medical Policlinic, University Hospital, Bonn, Germany
Respiration 66:220-4. 1999....
- Anti-inflammatory activity of 1.8-cineol (eucalyptol) in bronchial asthma: a double-blind placebo-controlled trialU R Juergens
Department of Pneumology, Medical Outpatient Clinic, Bonn University Hospital, Germany
Respir Med 97:250-6. 2003..This is the first evidence suggesting an anti-inflammatory activity of the monoterpene 1.8-cineol in asthma and a new rational for its use as mucolytic agent in upper and lower airway diseases...