- Targon® Femoral Neck for femoral-neck fracture fixation: lessons learnt from a series of one hundred and thirty five consecutive casesRoland Biber
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Klinikum Nürnberg, Breslauer Strasse 201, Nurnberg, 90471, Germany
Int Orthop 38:595-9. 2014..Internal fixation versus joint replacement for treating intracapsular hip fractures is still a major debate. The Targon® FN fixation concept is innovative; two small case series are promising. We present the first larger series...
- Implementation of a co-managed Geriatric Fracture Center reduces hospital stay and time-to-operation in elderly femoral neck fracture patientsRoland Biber
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Klinikum Nuernberg, Breslauer Str 201, 90471, Nuremberg, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 133:1527-31. 2013..To evaluate changes in hospital length-of-stay and time-to-operation of older hip fracture patients before and after the foundation of a co-managed Geriatric Fracture Center (GFC)...
- Lateral cortical notching in specific cases of delayed unions or nonunions after intertrochanteric and reversed fracturesRoland Biber
Department for Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Klinikum Nürnberg Süd, Breslauer Strasse 201, Nurnberg, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 133:495-501. 2013..Stabilization of both intertrochanteric and reversed trochanteric fractures is commonly performed by proximal femoral nailing. However, biomechanics significantly differ between these two fracture types...
- An innovative technique of rear entry creation for retrograde humeral nailing: how to avoid iatrogenic comminutionRoland Biber
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Klinikum Nürnberg Süd, Breslauer Strasse 201, 90471 Nürnberg, Germany
Injury 44:514-7. 2013..Creating the rear entry is the crucial step for retrograde nailing. The common manual technique is associated with considerable risks of additional iatrogenic comminution of the distal humerus...
- Correlation between age, emergency department length of stay and hospital admission rate in emergency department patients aged ≥70 yearsRoland Biber
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Klinikum Nürnberg, Nuremberg, Germany
Gerontology 59:17-22. 2013..Interdisciplinary emergency departments (EDs) are confronted with trauma and nontrauma patients of any age group. Length of stay (LOS) and admission rates reflect both disease complexity and severity...
- Dorsal versus transgluteal approach for hip hemiarthroplasty: an analysis of early complications in seven hundred and four consecutive casesRoland Biber
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Klinikum Nuernberg, Breslauer Str 201, 90471 Nuremberg, Germany
Int Orthop 36:2219-23. 2012..Several surgical approaches are currently used including dorsal and transgluteal. It is still unclear whether one approach may be advantageous. We compared early complication rates after dorsal and transgluteal approaches...
- Is proximal femoral nailing a good procedure for teaching in orthogeriatrics?R Biber
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Klinikum Nürnberg, Breslauer Strasse 201, Nurnberg, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 132:997-1002. 2012..For teaching purposes, this operation is often performed by residents and supervised by attending physicians. The objective of this study is to investigate if teaching this operation influences the surgical in-house complication rate...
- [Hemiarthroplasty for femoral neck fracture in the elderly--an operation suitable for teaching?]R Biber
Klinik für Unfall und Orthopädische Chirurgie, Klinikum Nürnberg, Nurnberg, Deutschland
Zentralbl Chir 138:e41-6. 2013..Our study aims at evaluating the rates of early surgical complications after hemiarthroplasty in different age groups, comparing operations performed by consultants and residents...
- Considerations for the development of an undergraduate curriculum in geriatric medicineK Singler
Institute for Biomedicine of Aging, Friedrich Alexander University, Nurnberg, Germany
Gerontology 59:385-91. 2013..Because quality of medical education and educators strongly influences student career decisions, it is important to develop curricula that motivate students to become self-directed, lifelong learners in the field of geriatric medicine...