Affiliation: Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine
- Invariant Valpha14 chain NKT cells promote Plasmodium berghei circumsporozoite protein-specific gamma interferon- and tumor necrosis factor alpha-producing CD8+ T cells in the liver after poxvirus vaccination of miceSimone Korten
Department of Immunology, Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Bernhard Nocht Strasse 74, 20359 Hamburg, Germany
Infect Immun 73:849-58. 2005..Furthermore, double-positive INF-gamma+/TNF-alpha+ CD8+ T cells were enriched in protected livers, suggesting that cells expressing both of these cytokines may be most relevant for protection...
- The nematode parasite Onchocerca volvulus generates the transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta)Simone Korten
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Bernhard Nocht Str 74, 20359, Hamburg, Germany
Parasitol Res 105:731-41. 2009..Pleomorphic neoplasms in O. volvulus were also labeled. We conclude that latent TGF-beta protein is expressed by filariae independently of Wolbachia, possibly regulating worm tissue homeostasis...
- Natural death of adult Onchocerca volvulus and filaricidal effects of doxycycline induce local FOXP3+/CD4+ regulatory T cells and granzyme expressionSimone Korten
Department of Immunology, Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Bernhard Nocht Strasse 74, D 20359 Hamburg, Germany
Microbes Infect 10:313-24. 2008..We newly report granzyme responses to helminths and their association with immunosuppression. FOXP3+Treg and granzyme+ cells might locally suppress defence against newly acquired worms...
- Immunohistology of ectopic secondary lymph follicles in subcutaneous nodules from patients with hyperreactive onchocerciasis (sowda)Norbert W Brattig
Department of Molecular Medicine, Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine BNI, Bernhard Nocht Str 74, Hamburg, Germany
Parasitol Res 107:657-66. 2010..In conclusion, the ectopic secondary lymph follicles in onchocercomas and lymph nodes from hyperreactive onchocerciasis patients are equally composed...
- Expansion of NK cells with reduction of their inhibitory Ly-49A, Ly-49C, and Ly-49G2 receptor-expressing subsets in a murine helminth infection: contribution to parasite controlSimone Korten
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Hamburg, Germany
J Immunol 168:5199-206. 2002..These data demonstrate a new role for NK cells in the host defense against filariae and, for the first time, alterations of Ly-49 receptor-expressing NK cell subsets in a parasitic infection...
- A novel and divergent role of granzyme A and B in resistance to helminth infectionWiebke Hartmann
Department of Immunology, Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, D 20359 Hamburg, Germany
J Immunol 186:2472-81. 2011..This suggests a novel and divergent role for gzms in helminth infection, with gzmA contributing to resistance and gzmB promoting susceptibility...
- Enhanced CD8+ T cell immune responses and protection elicited against Plasmodium berghei malaria by prime boost immunization regimens using a novel attenuated fowlpox virusRichard J Anderson
Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Immunol 172:3094-100. 2004..berghei and was more immunogenic and protective than DNA/MVA prime/boost immunization. However, further improvement was not achieved by sequential (triple) immunization with a DNA vaccine, FP9, and MVA...
- Modulation of Ly49 D expression after allogeneic bone marrow transplantation and functional consequencesEsther Wilk
Abteilung Klinische Immunologie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Germany
Immunobiology 205:267-81. 2002..Functional data indicate that a time of reduced NK cell cytotoxicity after BMT is followed by in vitro tolerance of allogeneic chimeras...