- Ziccarelli I, Neumann H, Kreyenschulte C, Gabriele B, Beller M. Pd-Supported on N-doped carbon: improved heterogeneous catalyst for base-free alkoxycarbonylation of aryl iodides. Chem Commun (Camb). 2016;52:12729-12732 pubmed..Notably, no metal contamination (detection limit < 0.5 ppm) in the final products was observed. ..
- Cabrero Antonino J, Adam R, Junge K, Beller M. Cobalt-catalysed reductive C-H alkylation of indoles using carboxylic acids and molecular hydrogen. Chem Sci. 2017;8:6439-6450 pubmed publisher..This new protocol enables the direct functionalization of indoles with readily available and stable carboxylic acids using a non-precious metal based catalyst and hydrogen as reductant. ..
- Liu J, Dong K, Franke R, Neumann H, Jackstell R, Beller M. Development of efficient palladium catalysts for alkoxycarbonylation of alkenes. Chem Commun (Camb). 2018;54:12238-12241 pubmed publisher..Similar transformation is obtained using tertiary ether as showcased in the carbonylation of MTBE to the corresponding linear ester in high yield and selectivity. ..
- Senthamarai T, Murugesan K, Schneidewind J, Kalevaru N, Baumann W, Neumann H, et al. Simple ruthenium-catalyzed reductive amination enables the synthesis of a broad range of primary amines. Nat Commun. 2018;9:4123 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, in situ NMR studies were performed for the identification of active catalytic species. Based on these studies a mechanism for Ru-catalyzed reductive amination is proposed. ..
- Yang J, Liu J, Jackstell R, Beller M. Palladium-catalyzed aerobic oxidative carbonylation of alkynes with amines: a general access to substituted maleimides. Chem Commun (Camb). 2018;54:10710-10713 pubmed publisher..This novel transformation proceeds in the presence of palladium chloride without the need for expensive ligands or additives and has a broad substrate scope affording a variety of maleimides in good to high yields. ..
- Li Y, Sorribes I, Vicent C, Junge K, Beller M. Convenient Reductive Methylation of Amines with Carbonates at Room Temperature. Chemistry. 2015;21:16759-63 pubmed publisher..Mechanistic insights on intermediates formed during the reaction pathway were obtained by using ESI mass spectrometry. ..
- Pospech J, Lennox A, Beller M. Rhodium-catalysed alkoxylation/acetalization of diazo compounds: one-step synthesis of highly functionalised quaternary carbon centres. Chem Commun (Camb). 2015;51:14505-8 pubmed publisher..The concomitant C-O/C-C bond formation reaction gives products with unique quaternary carbon centers, substituted by groups of different oxidation level (ester, protected aldehyde and alkoxide). ..
- Li H, Dong K, Neumann H, Beller M. Palladium-Catalyzed Hydroamidocarbonylation of Olefins to Imides. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2015;54:10239-43 pubmed publisher..The synthetic potential of the method is highlighted by the synthesis of Aniracetam by intramolecular hydroamidocarbonylation. ..
- Cui X, Li Y, Topf C, Junge K, Beller M. Direct Ruthenium-Catalyzed Hydrogenation of Carboxylic Acids to Alcohols. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2015;54:10596-9 pubmed publisher..Key to success is the use of a combination of Ru(acac)3, triphos and Lewis acids. The novel method showed broad substrate tolerance and a variety of aliphatic carboxylic acids including biomass-derived compounds can be smoothly reduced. ..
- PeÃ±a LÃ³pez M, Neumann H, Beller M. Ruthenium pincer-catalyzed synthesis of substituted Î³-butyrolactones using hydrogen autotransfer methodology. Chem Commun (Camb). 2015;51:13082-5 pubmed publisher..This regioselective domino-process takes place through catalytic C-C bond formation, followed by intramolecular transesterification. Herein, we show the Ru-MACHO-BH complex as a valuable catalyst in hydrogen autotransfer reactions. ..
- Li Y, Li H, Junge H, Beller M. Selective ruthenium-catalyzed methylation of 2-arylethanols using methanol as C1 feedstock. Chem Commun (Camb). 2014;50:14991-4 pubmed publisher..The desired domino transformation takes place via so-called borrowing hydrogen methodology, which constitutes an ideal example of green chemistry. ..
- Wu L, Liu Q, Spannenberg A, Jackstell R, Beller M. Highly regioselective osmium-catalyzed hydroformylation. Chem Commun (Camb). 2015;51:3080-2 pubmed publisher..The combination of Os3(CO)12 and imidazoyl-substituted phosphine ligands allows n-selective (up to 99%) hydroformylation of bulk aliphatic as well as functional alkenes in good yields (64-87%). ..
- Dong K, Fang X, Jackstell R, Beller M. A novel rhodium-catalyzed domino-hydroformylation-reaction for the synthesis of sulphonamides. Chem Commun (Camb). 2015;51:5059-62 pubmed publisher..Various olefins and sulphonamides are converted into the desired products in good yields and with excellent selectivities in the presence of a rhodium/Naphos catalyst. ..
- Werkmeister S, Neumann J, Junge K, Beller M. Pincer-Type Complexes for Catalytic (De)Hydrogenation and Transfer (De)Hydrogenation Reactions: Recent Progress. Chemistry. 2015;21:12226-50 pubmed publisher..Aside from noble-metal-based pincer complexes, the corresponding base metal complexes are also highlighted and their applications summarized. ..
- Das S, Li Y, Bornschein C, Pisiewicz S, Kiersch K, Michalik D, et al. Selective rhodium-catalyzed reduction of tertiary amides in amino acid esters and peptides. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2015;54:12389-93 pubmed publisher..This convenient hydrosilylation reaction proceeds at ambient conditions and is operationally safe because no air-sensitive reagents or highly reactive metal hydrides are needed. ..
- Bheeter C, Chowdhury A, Adam R, Jackstell R, Beller M. Efficient Rh-catalyzed C-H borylation of arene derivatives under photochemical conditions. Org Biomol Chem. 2015;13:10336-40 pubmed publisher..Applying trans-[Rh(PMe3)2(CO)Cl] as an active photocatalyst and HBPin as an boron source, we achieved high TON. A catalytic cycle that relies on a Rh(I)-Rh(III) interconversion is proposed. ..
- Li H, Neumann H, Beller M. Palladium-Catalyzed Aminocarbonylation of Allylic Alcohols. Chemistry. 2016;22:10050-6 pubmed publisher..Mechanistic studies and control experiments revealed a tandem allylic alcohol amination/C-N bond carbonylation reaction sequence. ..
- Peña López M, Neumann H, Beller M. (Enantio)selective Hydrogen Autotransfer: Ruthenium-Catalyzed Synthesis of Oxazolidin-2-ones from Urea and Diols. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2016;55:7826-30 pubmed publisher..While this transformation is already highly chemo- and regioselective, we also developed the first asymmetric version of this method using (R)-(+)-MeO-BIPHEP as the chiral ligand. ..
- Pews Davtyan A, Jackstell R, Spannenberg A, Beller M. Zwitterionic phosphonium ligands: synthesis, characterization and application in telomerization of 1,3-butadiene. Chem Commun (Camb). 2016;52:7568-71 pubmed publisher..Optimal results are obtained in the presence of cyclohexyl-substituted ligands under mild conditions and at metal loadings as low as 0.001 mol%. ..
- Li H, Fang X, Jackstell R, Neumann H, Beller M. Palladium-catalysed hydroamidocarbonylation of 1,3-dienes. Chem Commun (Camb). 2016;52:7142-5 pubmed publisher..g. isoprene, 1,3-butadiene), are shown to be compatible with our established method (28 examples, 40-99% yield), which leads to the corresponding ?,?-unsaturated imides in a highly efficient and atom-economic fashion. ..
- He L, Weniger F, Neumann H, Beller M. Synthesis, Characterization, and Application of Metal Nanoparticles Supported on Nitrogen-Doped Carbon: Catalysis beyond Electrochemistry. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2016;55:12582-94 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the effects of nitrogen incorporation on the different catalytic systems are highlighted. ..
- Peña López M, Neumann H, Beller M. Iron-Catalyzed Reaction of Urea with Alcohols and Amines: A Safe Alternative for the Synthesis of Primary Carbamates. ChemSusChem. 2016;9:2233-8 pubmed publisher..These atom-economical transformations provide a direct and selective access to valuable compounds from cheap and readily available urea using a simple Lewis-acidic iron(II) catalyst. ..
- Pospech J, Ferraccioli R, Neumann H, Beller M. Rhodium(II)-Catalyzed Annulation of Azavinyl Carbenes Through Ring-Expansion of 1,3,5-Trioxane: Rapid Access to Nine-Membered 1,3,5,7-Trioxazonines. Chem Asian J. 2015;10:2624-30 pubmed publisher..The synthesis of trioxazonine derivatives was achieved through a one-pot, two-step procedure from 1-mesylazide and a terminal alkyne by combining Cu(I)-catalyzed 1,3-dipolar cycloaddition and rhodium-catalyzed transformations. ..
- Adam R, Cabrero Antonino J, Junge K, Jackstell R, Beller M. Esters, Including Triglycerides, and Hydrogen as Feedstocks for the Ruthenium-Catalyzed Direct N-Alkylation of Amines. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2016;55:11049-53 pubmed publisher..Notably, plant oil can be efficiently applied in this single-step process. Moreover, a variety of other methyl esters can be used as N-alkylation agents in the presence of hydrogen for the synthesis of more advanced building blocks. ..
- Lennox A, Fischer S, Jurrat M, Luo S, Rockstroh N, Junge H, et al. Copper-Based Photosensitisers in Water Reduction: A More Efficient In Situ Formed System and Improved Mechanistic Understanding. Chemistry. 2016;22:1233-8 pubmed publisher..The in situ method has been used to screen a range of ligands for the active PS, which has led to the identification a number of structural features important to longevity and performance. ..
- Natte K, Jagadeesh R, He L, Rabeah J, Chen J, Taeschler C, et al. Palladium-Catalyzed Trifluoromethylation of (Hetero)Arenes with CF3 Br. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2016;55:2782-6 pubmed publisher..As examples, trifluoromethylations of biologically important molecules, such as melatonin, theophylline, caffeine, and pentoxifylline, are showcased. ..
- Adam R, Alberico E, Baumann W, Drexler H, Jackstell R, Junge H, et al. NNP-Type Pincer Imidazolylphosphine Ruthenium Complexes: Efficient Base-Free Hydrogenation of Aromatic and Aliphatic Nitriles under Mild Conditions. Chemistry. 2016;22:4991-5002 pubmed publisher..With its stable Ru-BH4 analogue, in which chloride is replaced by BH4, a broad range of (hetero)aromatic and aliphatic nitriles, including industrially interesting adiponitrile, has been hydrogenated under mild and base-free conditions. ..
- Natte K, Jagadeesh R, Sharif M, Neumann H, Beller M. Synthesis of nitriles from amines using nanoscale Co3O4-based catalysts via sustainable aerobic oxidation. Org Biomol Chem. 2016;14:3356-9 pubmed publisher..Key to success for this transformation is the application of reusable cobalt oxide-based nanocatalysts. The resulting nitriles constitute key precursors and central intermediates in organic synthesis. ..
- Das S, Li Y, Lu L, Junge K, Beller M. A General and Selective Rhodium-Catalyzed Reduction of Amides, N-Acyl Amino Esters, and Dipeptides Using Phenylsilane. Chemistry. 2016;22:7050-3 pubmed publisher..The catalyst shows excellent chemoselectivity in the presence of different sensitive functional moieties. ..
- Liu J, Li H, Spannenberg A, Franke R, Jackstell R, Beller M. Selective Palladium-Catalyzed Aminocarbonylation of Olefins to Branched Amides. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2016;55:13544-13548 pubmed publisher..Bulk industrial and functionalized olefins react with various aliphatic amines, including amino-acid derivatives, to give the corresponding branched amides generally in good yields (up to 99?%) and regioselectivities (b/l up to 99:1). ..
- Cabrero Antonino J, Sorribes I, Junge K, Beller M. Selective Ruthenium-Catalyzed Reductive Alkoxylation and Amination of Cyclic Imides. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2016;55:387-91 pubmed publisher..As an example, intramolecular reductive couplings to afford tricyclic compounds are presented for the first time. ..
- Dong K, Sang R, Soulé J, Bruneau C, Franke R, Jackstell R, et al. Efficient Domino Hydroformylation/Benzoin Condensation: Highly Selective Synthesis of Î±-Hydroxy Ketones. Chemistry. 2015;21:18033-7 pubmed publisher..Key to success is the use of a specific catalytic system consisting of a rhodium/phosphine complex and the CO2 adduct of an N-heterocyclic carbene. ..
- Rosas Hernandez A, Steinlechner C, Junge H, Beller M. Photo- and Electrochemical Valorization of Carbon Dioxide Using Earth-Abundant Molecular Catalysts. Top Curr Chem (Cham). 2017;376:1 pubmed publisher..In addition, with the aim of aiding in the design of more robust and efficient non-noble metal-based catalysts, we discuss the lessons learned from the corresponding mechanistic studies...
- Wang L, Neumann H, Spannenberg A, Beller M. Practical in situ-generation of phosphinite ligands for palladium-catalyzed carbonylation of (hetero)aryl bromides forming esters. Chem Commun (Camb). 2017;53:7469-7472 pubmed publisher..Through this method, ligand optimization can be performed in a more efficient manner and the desired products could be obtained with good yields and selectivity. ..
- Piehl P, PeÃ±a LÃ³pez M, Frey A, Neumann H, Beller M. Hydrogen autotransfer and related dehydrogenative coupling reactions using a rhenium(i) pincer catalyst. Chem Commun (Camb). 2017;53:3265-3268 pubmed publisher..In addition, the first examples of rhenium-catalysed synthesis of pyrroles are described by dehydrogenative coupling of diols, amines and ketones. ..