- Bauer M, Glenn T, Alda M, Andreassen O, Angelopoulos E, Ardau R, et al. Influence of light exposure during early life on the age of onset of bipolar disorder. J Psychiatr Res. 2015;64:1-8 pubmed publisher..This study indirectly supports the concept that early life exposure to light may affect the long term adaptability to respond to a circadian challenge later in life. ..
- Lewitzka U, Jabs B, FÃ¼lle M, Holthoff V, Juckel G, Uhl I, et al. Does lithium reduce acute suicidal ideation and behavior? A protocol for a randomized, placebo-controlled multicenter trial of lithium plus Treatment As Usual (TAU) in patients with suicidal major depressive episode. BMC Psychiatry. 2015;15:117 pubmed publisher..The results of this study will demonstrate whether lithium reduces suicidal ideation and behavior within the first 5Â weeks of treatment. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT02039479. ..
- Bauer M, Adli M, Bschor T, Pilhatsch M, Pfennig A, Sasse J, et al. Lithium's emerging role in the treatment of refractory major depressive episodes: augmentation of antidepressants. Neuropsychobiology. 2010;62:36-42 pubmed publisher..Augmentation of antidepressants with lithium is currently the best-evidenced augmentation therapy in the treatment of depressed patients who do not respond to antidepressants. ..
- Bauer M, Pfennig A, Linden M, Smolka M, Neu P, Adli M. Efficacy of an algorithm-guided treatment compared with treatment as usual: a randomized, controlled study of inpatients with depression. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2009;29:327-33 pubmed publisher..Algorithm-guided treatment produces better outcomes and less frequent medication changes than TAU. A systematic, stepwise, measurement-based approach to the treatment of depressed inpatients is warranted. ..
- Bauer M, Monz B, Montejo A, Quail D, Dantchev N, Demyttenaere K, et al. Prescribing patterns of antidepressants in Europe: results from the Factors Influencing Depression Endpoints Research (FINDER) study. Eur Psychiatry. 2008;23:66-73 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the prescribing of antidepressants varies by country, and the type of antidepressant chosen is influenced by physician- as well as patient-related factors. ..
- Bauer M, Blumentritt H, Finke R, Schlattmann P, Adli M, Baethge C, et al. Using ultrasonography to determine thyroid size and prevalence of goiter in lithium-treated patients with affective disorders. J Affect Disord. 2007;104:45-51 pubmed..Ultrasonography proved superior to palpatory inspection in detecting goiter. Regular use of ultrasonography for early detection of thyroid enlargement in patients on long-term lithium treatment is therefore recommended. ..
- Monteith S, Glenn T, Geddes J, Whybrow P, Bauer M. Big data for bipolar disorder. Int J Bipolar Disord. 2016;4:10 pubmed publisher..Human judgement and subject matter expertise are critical parts of big data analysis, and the active participation of psychiatrists is needed throughout the analytical process. ..
- Bauer M, Banaschewski T, Heinz A, Kamp Becker I, Meyer Lindenberg A, Padberg F, et al. [The German research network for mental disorders]. Nervenarzt. 2016;87:989-1010 pubmed publisher..This network aims to become a nucleus for long overdue and sustained support for a German center for mental disorders. ..
- Conell J, Bauer R, Glenn T, Alda M, Ardau R, Baune B, et al. Online information seeking by patients with bipolar disorder: results from an international multisite survey. Int J Bipolar Disord. 2016;4:17 pubmed publisher..Patients may not rate search skills accurately, and may not understand limitations of online privacy. More patient education about online information searching is needed and physicians should recommend a few high quality websites. ..
- Ritter P, Bermpohl F, Gruber O, Hautzinger M, Jansen A, Juckel G, et al. Aims and structure of the German Research Consortium BipoLife for the study of bipolar disorder. Int J Bipolar Disord. 2016;4:26 pubmed..A subset of patients will be investigated utilizing neuroimaging (fMRI), neurophysiology (EEG), and biomaterials (genomics, transcriptomics). This article aims to outline the rationale, design, and methods of these individual studies. ..
- Bauer R, Conell J, Glenn T, Alda M, Ardau R, Baune B, et al. Internet use by patients with bipolar disorder: Results from an international multisite survey. Psychiatry Res. 2016;242:388-394 pubmed publisher..6 other information sources. The percentage of patients with bipolar disorder who use the Internet is about the same as the general public. Other information sources remain important. ..
- Bauer M, Pretorius H, Constant E, Earley W, Szamosi J, Brecher M. Extended-release quetiapine as adjunct to an antidepressant in patients with major depressive disorder: results of a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2009;70:540-9 pubmed..Significant reduction of depressive symptoms occurred as early as week 1. Findings were consistent with the known safety and tolerability profile of quetiapine. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00351910. ..
- Haussmann R, Lewitzka U, Severus E, Bauer M. [Correct treatment of mood disorders with lithium]. Nervenarzt. 2017;88:1323-1334 pubmed publisher..This review article summarizes clinically relevant knowledge of lithium treatment to improve treatment of patients with mood disorders and to increase patient safety when using lithium...
- Bauer M, Beaulieu S, Dunner D, Lafer B, Kupka R. Rapid cycling bipolar disorder--diagnostic concepts. Bipolar Disord. 2008;10:153-62 pubmed publisher..In addition to improving the diagnostic criteria, insight into neurophysiologic mechanisms of mood switching and episode frequency may have important implications for clinical care. ..