C C Apfel
- A simplified risk score for predicting postoperative nausea and vomiting: conclusions from cross-validations between two centersC C Apfel
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Wuerzburg, Germany
Anesthesiology 91:693-700. 1999..This study investigated (1) whether risk scores are valid across centers and (2) whether risk scores based on logistic regression coefficients can be simplified without loss of discriminating power...
- [Risk factors for nausea and vomiting after general anesthesia: fictions and facts]C C Apfel
Klinik fur Anaesthesiologie, Universitat Wurzburg
Anaesthesist 49:629-42. 2000..In conclusion, we have developed the following simplified view: PONV is mainly caused by opioids and volatile anaesthetics when applied to susceptible patients (females, non-smoker, positive history of previous sickness)...
- The influence of a dominating centre on a quantitative systematic review of granisetron for preventing postoperative nausea and vomitingP Kranke
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Wuerzburg, Germany
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 45:659-70. 2001....
- The detection of interatrial flow patency in awake and anesthetized patients: a comparative study using transnasal transesophageal echocardiographyC A Greim
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Wurzburg, Josef Schneider Str 2, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Anesth Analg 92:1111-6. 2001....
- How to study postoperative nausea and vomitingC C Apfel
Department of Anesthesiology, Julius Maximilians University, Wuerzburg, Germany
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 46:921-8. 2002..Lastly, interpretation of results should take into account the study hypothesis, sources of potential bias or imprecision, and the difficulties associated with multiplicity of analysis and outcomes...
- [A factorial trial of six interventions for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting]C C Apfel
Klinik und Poliklinik für Anaesthesiologie, Julius Maximilians Universitat, Wurzburg
Anaesthesist 54:201-9. 2005..Although many trials have been conducted, the relative benefits of prophylactic antiemetic interventions given alone or in combination remain unknown...
- [Tropisetron for prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting: a quantitative systematic review]P Kranke
Klinik für Anaesthesiologie der Universität Würzburg, Germany
Anaesthesist 51:805-14. 2002..A quantitative systematic review of randomised controlled trials investigating the efficacy of tropisetron versus placebo to prevent postoperative nausea (PN) and vomiting (PV) as well as PN and/or PV (PONV)...
- Comparison of predictive models for postoperative nausea and vomitingC C Apfel
Department of Anaesthesiology, Julius Maximilians University, Wurzburg, Germany
Br J Anaesth 88:234-40. 2002..This study compared the validity and practicability of these models in patients undergoing general anaesthesia...
- [Nausea and vomiting in the postoperative phase. Expert- and evidence-based recommendations for prophylaxis and therapy]C C Apfel
Perioperative Clinical Research Core, Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care, University of California, San Francisco, UCSF Medical Center at Mt Zion, 1600 Divisadero, C 355, San Francisco, California 94115 1605, USA
Anaesthesist 56:1170-80. 2007..These algorithms should provide evidence-based guidelines allowing the development of SOPs/policies which take local circumstances into account...
- Patients' willingness to pay for anti-emetic treatmentH Kerger
Department of Anaesthesiology and Operative Critical Care Medicine, University Hospital of Mannheim, Mannheim, Germany
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 51:38-43. 2007..This study was conducted in 100 German and 100 Turkish patients scheduled for elective surgery under general anaesthesia to assess the amount patients were willing to pay for an anti-emetic that completely prevented PONV...
- Does the efficacy of supplemental oxygen for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting depend on the measured outcome, observational period or site of surgery?A Turan
Department of Anaesthesiology, Trakya University, Turkey
Anaesthesia 61:628-33. 2006..31%, p = 0.37) than in non-abdominal surgery (25%vs. 21%, p = 0.368). Thus, supplemental oxygen was unable to reduce PONV independent of the endpoint, observational period or site of surgery...
- The influence of the weather and the phase of the moon on post-operative nausea and vomitingM Kredel
Department of Anaesthesiology, Julius Maximilians University of Wuerzburg, Wuerzburg, Germany
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:488-94. 2006..We therefore determined the effects of specific and general weather patterns as well as the lunar phase on PONV in adults undergoing balanced inhalation anaesthesia...
- Effect of oral gabapentin on postoperative epidural analgesiaA Turan
Department of Anaesthesiology, Trakya University, Turkey
Br J Anaesth 96:242-6. 2006..We hypothesized that gabapentin might be a useful adjuvant for postoperative analgesia provided with patient-controlled epidural analgesia (PCEA)...
- [Pathophysiology, risk factors and assessment for nausea and vomiting in the postoperative phase]C C Apfel
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40202, USA edu
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 40:497-503. 2005
- [Nausea and vomiting following anesthesia: improved understanding and better strategies. I]C C Apfel
Klinik und Poliklinik für Anästhesiologie der Universität Würzburg, Josef Schneider Strasse 2, 97080 Wurzburg
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 40:490-503. 2005
- Factorial design provides evidence to guide practice of anaesthesiaK Korttila
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Helsinki University Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 49:927-9. 2005....
- Comparison of surgical site and patient's history with a simplified risk score for the prediction of postoperative nausea and vomitingC C Apfel
Department of Anaesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Anaesthesia 59:1078-82. 2004..56-0.61) while for risk score it was 0.68 (95% CI 0.66-0.71; P < 0.001). Prediction using surgical site or patient's history alone was poor while the simplified risk score provided clinically useful sensitivity and specificity...
- [Postoperative nausea and vomiting]C C Apfel
Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Outcomes Research Institute, University of Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Anaesthesist 53:377-89; quiz 390-1. 2004..For the treatment of PONV an antiemetic should be chosen which has not been used prophylactically. The necessary doses are usually a quarter of those needed for prophylaxis...
- [Blocking nociceptive afferents by retrobulbar bupivacaine does not decrease nausea and vomiting after propofol-remifentanil anaesthesia]D Muller
Klinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivmedizin, Universitatsklinikum Essen
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 38:689-94. 2003....
- Study of postoperative nausea and vomiting: recommending risk models for group comparisonsC C Apfel
Anaesthesia 58:492-3; author reply 493. 2003
- Volatile anaesthetics may be the main cause of early but not delayed postoperative vomiting: a randomized controlled trial of factorial designC C Apfel
Department of Anaesthesiology, Julius Maximilians University of Wuerzburg, Germany
Br J Anaesth 88:659-68. 2002..Despite intensive research, the main causes of postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV) remain unclear. We sought to quantify the relative importance of operative, anaesthetic and patient-specific risk factors to the development of PONV...
- Incidence of postoperative nausea and emetic episodes after xenon anaesthesia compared with propofol-based anaesthesiaM Coburn
Department of Anaesthesiology, University Hospital Aachen of the RWTH Aachen, Pauwelsstreet 30, D 52072 Aachen, Germany
Br J Anaesth 100:787-91. 2008..v. technique, we tested the hypothesis that general anaesthesia with xenon would result in a reduced incidence of PONV similar to that observed with propofol-based anaesthesia...