Affiliation: Academic Hospital
- The heterogeneous Gleason 7 carcinoma of the prostate: analyses of low and high grade (risk) carcinomas with criteria of the International Society of Urological Pathology (ISUP)Burkhard Helpap
Department of Pathology, HBH Hospital, Singen, Germany
Pathol Res Pract 209:190-4. 2013....
- Improving the reproducibility of the Gleason scores in small foci of prostate cancer--suggestion of diagnostic criteria for glandular fusionB Helpap
Department of Pathology, HBH Hospital, Virchow Str 10, 78224 Singen, Germany
Pathol Oncol Res 18:615-21. 2012..The results support the importance of strict but practicable criteria for the diagnosis of fused tumor glands in order to decrease the interobserver variability of Gleason scores, particularly in non-specialised pathologists...
- [Importance of second opinions on histology of prostate biopsy specimens]B Helpap
Schwerpunkt Uropathologie, Institut fur Pathologie, HBH Kliniken Singen, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus der Universität Freiburg, Postfach 720, 78207, Singen, Deutschland
Pathologe 33:103-12. 2012..The significance of a second opinion on the histological findings of prostate carcinomas as well as suspicious lesions on core needle biopsy specimens was studied in cases from the year 2008...
- Combined histoarchitectural and cytological biopsy grading improves grading accuracy in low-grade prostate cancerBurkhard Helpap
Institute of Pathology, Center of Uropathology, General Hospital Hegau Bodensee Klinikum Singen, Academic Hospital of University of Freiburg, Singen, Germany
Int J Urol 19:126-33. 2012..We questioned whether Gleason grading combined with an established alternative grading system incorporating cytological parameters improves grading accuracy...
- Correlation of modified Gleason grading of prostate carcinoma with age, serum prostate specific antigen and tumor extent in needle biopsy specimensBurkhard Helpap
Department of Pathology, General Hospital HBH Kliniken Singen, Academic Hospital, University of Freiburg, Singen, Germany
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 30:133-8. 2008..To investigate the correlation of biopsy grade with age, serum prostate specific antigen (PSA) and biopsy tumor extent using the conventional and modified Gleason grading systems...
- [Clinical insignificance of prostate cancer: are there morphological findings?]B Helpap
Schwerpunkt Uropathologie, Institut fur Pathologie, Singen, Deutschland
Urologe A 48:170-4. 2009..Overdiagnosis and overtreatment of microfocal nonpalpable and early-stage prostatic adenocarcinoma are currently a topic of strong discussion. We tried to find morphological findings of such insignificant carcinomas of the prostate...
- Modified Gleason grading. An updated reviewBurkhard Helpap
Department of Pathology, Center of Uropathology, General Hospital Hegau Bodensee Klinikum Singen, Academic Hospital of the University of Freiburg, Germany
Histol Histopathol 24:661-6. 2009..Cancers with tumour infiltration of <1mm in one of 12 cores and PSA <10 ng/ml were mainly low grade (Gleason scores 6 and 7a) and may correspond to so called insignificant carcinoma of the prostate...
- Significance of Gleason grading of low-grade carcinoma of the prostate with therapeutic option of active surveillanceBurkhard Helpap
Institute of Pathology, HB Hospital Singen, Singen, Germany burkhard helpap hbh kliniken de
Urol Int 90:17-23. 2013..However, how accurate is the gold standard of GS 6 in predicting a small pT2 carcinoma? To answer this question, we have analyzed grading systems in this study...
- The significance of the P504S expression pattern of high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (HGPIN) with and without adenocarcinoma of the prostate in biopsy and radical prostatectomy specimensBurkhard Helpap
Department of Pathology, Hegau Bodensee Hochrhein General Hospital Singen, Singen, Germany
Virchows Arch 448:480-4. 2006..These results suggest that moderate to strong P504S expression in HGPIN of biopsy specimens is indicative of an associated adenocarcinoma and may be helpful in the choice of therapy...
- Low frequency of molecular changes and tumor recurrence in inverted papillomas of the urinary tractMatthias Eiber
Institute of Pathology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Am J Surg Pathol 31:938-46. 2007..Ancillary markers may help to resolve such cases and clarify the reported malignant potential of some IPs...
- Correlation of modified Gleason grading with pT stage of prostatic carcinoma after radical prostatectomyBurkhard Helpap
Department of Pathology, General Hospital HBH Kliniken Singen, Academic Hospital of the University of Freiburg, Singen, Germany
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 30:1-7. 2008..To study the correlation between modified Gleason score (GS) and pT stage of radical prostatectomy (RP) specimens...
- Nonepithelial tumor-like lesions of the prostate: a never-ending diagnostic problemBurkhard Helpap
Department of Pathology, Hegau Klinikum Singen, Academic Teaching Hospital, University of Freiburg, Postfach 720, 78207 Singen, Germany
Virchows Arch 441:231-7. 2002..This review focuses on the differential diagnosis between the various benign and malignant entities and compares the new WHO classification with a recently published typing of prostatic stromal lesions of unknown malignant potential...
- The significance of modified Gleason grading of prostatic carcinoma in biopsy and radical prostatectomy specimensBurkhard Helpap
Department of Pathology, Center of Uropathology, General Hospital Hegau Bodensee Klinikum Singen, Academic Hospital of the University of Freiburg, P O Box 720, 78207 Singen, Germany
Virchows Arch 449:622-7. 2006..The overall agreement improved from 58 to 72% (p < 0.001) compared to conventional GS. The higher agreement with modified Gleason grading may facilitate therapeutic decisions...
- Morphology and therapeutic strategies for neuroendocrine tumors of the genitourinary tractBurkhard Helpap
Department of Pathology, Singen, Academic Teaching Hospital of the University of Freiburg, Singen, Germany
Cancer 95:1415-20. 2002..In the current study the author discusses the significant differences between NET and NEC of the urinary bladder and the prostate, including therapeutic consequences...
- Fundamentals on the pathology of prostatic carcinoma after brachytherapyBurkhard Helpap
Department of Pathology, Hegau Klinikum Singen, Germany
World J Urol 20:207-12. 2002..The sequels of brachytherapy are compared with the reactions of prostatic carcinomas to various modes of therapy. It is demonstrated what the clinician can expect and which modes of control exist at present...
- Molecular pathology of non-invasive urothelial carcinomas (part I)Burkhard Helpap
Institute of Pathology, Hegau Klinikum, 78207 Singen, Germany
Virchows Arch 442:309-16. 2003..These molecular markers were analyzed in diagnosis of urothelial carcinomas, recurrences, progression and response to treatment...
- Neuroendocrine carcinomas of the prostate and urinary bladder: a diagnostic and therapeutic challengeBurkhard Helpap
Department of Pathology, Academic Hospital of the University of Freiburg, Postfach 720, 78207 Singen, Germany
Virchows Arch 440:241-8. 2002..In the case of high-grade neuroendocrine carcinomas, early diagnosis and initiation of appropriate chemotherapy may increase survival and potentially induce complete remission in individual cases...
- Impact of hormonal therapy on the detection of promoter hypermethylation of the detoxifying glutathione-S-transferase P1 gene (GSTP1) in prostate cancerJens Kollermann
Urologische Klinik, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
BMC Urol 6:15. 2006..The purpose of our study was to assess the impact of endocrine therapy on the detection of GSTP1-HM by methylation-specific PCR (MSP) in prostate cancer...
- Prognosis of stage pT0 after prolonged neoadjuvant endocrine therapy of prostate cancer: a matched-pair analysisJens Kollermann
Department of Urology, University Hospital Benjamin Franklin, Free University, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200, Berlin, Germany
Eur Urol 45:42-5. 2004..The purpose of this study was to assess whether the PSA progression rate of pT0 patients after PPNET is lower than that of non-pT0 patients after PPNET...
- Follow-up of nondetectable prostate carcinoma (pT0) after prolonged PSA-monitored neoadjuvant hormonal therapy followed by radical prostatectomyJens Kollermann
Department of Urology, University Hospital Benjamin Franklin, Free University, Berlin, Germany
Urology 62:476-80. 2003..To test the hypothesis that in patients with Stage pT0 after prolonged prostate-specific antigen (PSA)-monitored neoadjuvant endocrine therapy, biochemical relapse is extremely rare and derives from systemic tumor recurrence...
- Methylation-specific PCR for DNA-based detection of occult tumor cells in lymph nodes of prostate cancer patientsJens Kollermann
Department of Urology, Universitatsklinikum Benjamin Franklin, Freie Universitat Berlin, Hindenburgdamm 30, 12200 Berlin, Germany
Eur Urol 44:533-8. 2003..To assess the feasibility of methylation-specific PCR (MSP) for the detection of promoter hypermethylation of the detoxifying glutathione-S-transferase P1 gene (GSTP1) to detect occult prostate cancer cells in lymph nodes (LNs)...