- Clinical presentation and outcome of epidemic Kaposi sarcoma in Ugandan children
Seattle Children s Hospital, Seattle, WA, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 54:670-4. 2010
..Kaposi sarcoma (KS) is one of the most common pediatric cancers in sub-Saharan Africa. Few data are available about the clinical presentation or response to treatment of children with epidemic (HIV-associated) KS...
- Genetic analyses of HIV-1 env sequences demonstrate limited compartmentalization in breast milk and suggest viral replication within the breast that increases with mastitis
Department of Pediatrics, Seattle Children s Hospital Research Institute, 1900 Ninth Ave, Seattle, WA 98101 1304, USA
J Virol 84:10812-9. 2010
..However, phylogenetic trees demonstrate extensive mixing of viruses between milk and blood specimens. HIV-1 replication in breast milk appears to increase with inflammation, contributing to higher milk viral loads during mastitis...
- Human herpesvirus 8-associated neoplasms: the roles of viral replication and antiviral treatment
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle Children s Hospital, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Curr Opin Infect Dis 24:295-301. 2011
..In this review, we highlight the importance of human herpesvirus 8 (HHV-8) lytic replication and the potential for antiviral therapies to prevent or treat HHV-8-related neoplasms...
- Cytomegalovirus and Epstein-Barr virus in breast milk are associated with HIV-1 shedding but not with mastitis
Departments of Pediatrics, Seattle Children s Hospital Research Institute, 1900 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
AIDS 22:1453-60. 2008
..Bacterial infections may cause clinical mastitis, but whether other copathogens common in HIV-1 infection are associated with subclinical mastitis or HIV-1 shedding is unknown...
- Effects of short-course zidovudine on the selection of nevirapine-resistant HIV-1 in women taking single-dose nevirapine
Mark A Micek
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Infect Dis 205:1811-5. 2012
..003). NVP mutants decayed to <2% in 24/35 (68.6%) at a median 6 months postpartum, with no differences based on ZDV use (logrank P = .99). Short-course ZDV was associated with reduced NVP-resistance mutations among women taking sdNVP...
- Laboratory indicators of mastitis are not associated with elevated HIV-1 DNA loads or predictive of HIV-1 RNA loads in breast milk
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
J Infect Dis 196:570-6. 2007
..An improved understanding of the relationship between indicators of inflammation and HIV-1 loads in breast milk could improve MTCT prevention strategies...
- The HIV protease inhibitor nelfinavir inhibits Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus replication in vitro
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:2696-703. 2011
..Nelfinavir may provide unique benefits for the prevention or treatment of HIV-associated KS and potentially other human herpesviruses by direct inhibition of replication...
- Nevirapine resistance by timing of HIV type 1 infection in infants treated with single-dose nevirapine
Mark A Micek
Department of Global Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Clin Infect Dis 50:1405-14. 2010
..We hypothesized that the selection, acquisition, and decay of nevirapine-resistant HIV-1 differs in infants, varying by the timing of HIV-1 infection...
- Two paediatric cases of skin and soft-tissue infections due to clindamycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carrying a plasmid-encoded vga(A) allelic variant for a putative efflux pump
Microbiology Laboratory, A9601, Seattle Children s Hospital, 4800 Sand Point Way, NE, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Int J Antimicrob Agents 38:81-3. 2011
..aureus. The native plasmids carrying vga(A)(LC) were transferable to a susceptible laboratory strain of S. aureus in vitro, in which they conferred resistance patterns similar to the parent isolates...