- Human herpesvirus 8-associated neoplasms: the roles of viral replication and antiviral treatment
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle Children s Hospital, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Curr Opin Infect Dis 24:295-301. 2011
..In this review, we highlight the importance of human herpesvirus 8 (HHV-8) lytic replication and the potential for antiviral therapies to prevent or treat HHV-8-related neoplasms...
- The immunologic basis for severe neonatal herpes disease and potential strategies for therapeutic intervention
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Washington and Seattle Children s Hospital, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Clin Dev Immunol 2013:369172. 2013
- Clinical presentation and outcome of epidemic Kaposi sarcoma in Ugandan children
Seattle Children s Hospital, Seattle, WA, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 54:670-4. 2010
..Kaposi sarcoma (KS) is one of the most common pediatric cancers in sub-Saharan Africa. Few data are available about the clinical presentation or response to treatment of children with epidemic (HIV-associated) KS...
- Genetic analyses of HIV-1 env sequences demonstrate limited compartmentalization in breast milk and suggest viral replication within the breast that increases with mastitis
Department of Pediatrics, Seattle Children s Hospital Research Institute, 1900 Ninth Ave, Seattle, WA 98101 1304, USA
J Virol 84:10812-9. 2010
..However, phylogenetic trees demonstrate extensive mixing of viruses between milk and blood specimens. HIV-1 replication in breast milk appears to increase with inflammation, contributing to higher milk viral loads during mastitis...
- Cytomegalovirus and Epstein-Barr virus in breast milk are associated with HIV-1 shedding but not with mastitis
Departments of Pediatrics, Seattle Children s Hospital Research Institute, 1900 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
AIDS 22:1453-60. 2008
..Bacterial infections may cause clinical mastitis, but whether other copathogens common in HIV-1 infection are associated with subclinical mastitis or HIV-1 shedding is unknown...
- Effects of short-course zidovudine on the selection of nevirapine-resistant HIV-1 in women taking single-dose nevirapine
Mark A Micek
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Infect Dis 205:1811-5. 2012
..003). NVP mutants decayed to <2% in 24/35 (68.6%) at a median 6 months postpartum, with no differences based on ZDV use (logrank P = .99). Short-course ZDV was associated with reduced NVP-resistance mutations among women taking sdNVP...
- Laboratory indicators of mastitis are not associated with elevated HIV-1 DNA loads or predictive of HIV-1 RNA loads in breast milk
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
J Infect Dis 196:570-6. 2007
..An improved understanding of the relationship between indicators of inflammation and HIV-1 loads in breast milk could improve MTCT prevention strategies...
- The HIV protease inhibitor nelfinavir inhibits Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus replication in vitro
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:2696-703. 2011
..Nelfinavir may provide unique benefits for the prevention or treatment of HIV-associated KS and potentially other human herpesviruses by direct inhibition of replication...
- An artesunate-containing antimalarial treatment regimen did not suppress cytomegalovirus viremia
Seattle Children s Hospital, Seattle, WA, USA University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA Electronic address
J Clin Virol 58:276-8. 2013
..Only a small number of case reports are available describing the clinical effects of artesunate on CMV infection, and these yielded inconsistent results...
- Valganciclovir dosing using area under the curve calculations in pediatric solid organ transplant recipients
Department of Pharmacy, Seattle Children s Hospital, Seattle, WA, USA
Pediatr Transplant 17:80-5. 2013
..An AUC calculated using two sample times might allow for fewer blood draws in the future...
- Nevirapine resistance by timing of HIV type 1 infection in infants treated with single-dose nevirapine
Mark A Micek
Department of Global Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Clin Infect Dis 50:1405-14. 2010
..We hypothesized that the selection, acquisition, and decay of nevirapine-resistant HIV-1 differs in infants, varying by the timing of HIV-1 infection...
- Insights into the broad cellular effects of nelfinavir and the HIV protease inhibitors supporting their role in cancer treatment and prevention
aDepartment of Pediatrics bDepartment of Medicine cDepartment of Epidemiology dDepartment of Global Health, University of Washington eSeattle Children s Hospital, University of Washington School of Medicine fVaccine and Infectious Disease gPublic Health Sciences hClinical Research Divisions, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington iSidney Kimmel Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Curr Opin Oncol 25:495-502. 2013
..With the widespread use of protease inhibitors, there was a reduction in the incidence and mortality of HIV-associated malignancies. Studies later found these drugs to have promising direct antitumor effects...
- Two paediatric cases of skin and soft-tissue infections due to clindamycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carrying a plasmid-encoded vga(A) allelic variant for a putative efflux pump
Microbiology Laboratory, A9601, Seattle Children s Hospital, 4800 Sand Point Way, NE, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Int J Antimicrob Agents 38:81-3. 2011
..aureus. The native plasmids carrying vga(A)(LC) were transferable to a susceptible laboratory strain of S. aureus in vitro, in which they conferred resistance patterns similar to the parent isolates...