- Brain-machine and brain-computer interfaces
Gerhard M Friehs
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Brown University, Providence, RI, USA
Stroke 35:2702-5. 2004
..The general principles and requirements to produce a successful connection between human and artificial intelligence are outlined and the authors' preliminary experience with a prototype brain-computer interface is reported...
- Stereotactic radiosurgery for functional disorders
Gerhard M Friehs
Department of Clinical Neurosciences Program in Neurosurgery and New England Gamma Knife Center, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Neurosurg Focus 23:E3. 2007
..This treatment has already been successfully performed in several centers around the world to treat severe pain in patients with end-stage cancer...
- Surgical aspects of deep brain stimulation
Gerhard M Friehs
Clinical Neurosciences Neurosurgery, Brown Medical School, USA
Med Health R I 89:134-6. 2006
- Point-and-click cursor control with an intracortical neural interface system by humans with tetraplegia
Sung Phil Kim
Department of Computer Science, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 19:193-203. 2011
..This study suggests that signals from a small ensemble of motor cortical neurons (∼40) can be used for natural point-and-click 2-D cursor control of a personal computer...
- Neuroanatomical localization of the 'precentral knob' with computed tomography imaging
Michael C Park
Department of Clinical Neurosciences Program in Neurosurgery, Brown Medical School, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 85:158-61. 2007
..We present a method of indirectly identifying and localizing the Omega-shaped precentral knob using the anatomical landmarks on computed tomography (CT)...
- Primary motor cortex tuning to intended movement kinematics in humans with tetraplegia
Department of Neuroscience, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island 02912, USA
J Neurosci 28:1163-78. 2008
- Targeting the cranial nerve: microradiosurgery for trigeminal neuralgia with CISS and 3D-flash MR imaging sequences
Vasilios A Zerris
Department of Neurosurgery, Tufts University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Neurosurg 102:107-10. 2005
..The authors undertook a study to identify magnetic resonance (MR) imaging techniques that can be used reliably during gamma knife surgery (GKS) to identify the trigeminal nerve, surrounding vasculature, and areas of compression...
- Decoding movement intent from human premotor cortex neurons for neural prosthetic applications
Catherine L Ojakangas
Department of Neuroscience, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
J Clin Neurophysiol 23:577-84. 2006
..Thus, additional frontal areas, beyond M1, may be valuable signal sources for human neuromotor prostheses...
- Three-year outcomes in deep brain stimulation for highly resistant obsessive-compulsive disorder
Benjamin D Greenberg
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown Medical School, Butler Hospital and Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 31:2384-93. 2006
..This open study found promising long-term effects of DBS in highly treatment-resistant OCD...
- Vagus nerve stimulation and deep brain stimulation for treatment resistant depression
Linda L Carpenter
Butler Hospital, 345 Blackstone Boulevard, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Med Health R I 89:137, 140-1. 2006
..Further investigations are currently underway in order to more fully evaluate both of these neurostimulation therapies, with the hope of substantially improving the treatment of refractory depression...
- Neuronal ensemble control of prosthetic devices by a human with tetraplegia
Leigh R Hochberg
Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women s Hospital, and Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Nature 442:164-71. 2006
..These early results suggest that NMPs based upon intracortical neuronal ensemble spiking activity could provide a valuable new neurotechnology to restore independence for humans with paralysis...